Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reports that Pope is going to resign...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,107 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

eviltwin wrote: »
    What would Jesus do? ;)

Mary Magdaline, if you believe Dan Brown.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Blue Magic wrote: »
    Definitley more going on here than what we're being told...

Anyway, this will set a healthy precedent whereby not every pope is saying mass barely able to speak or communicate

Ironically it seems the could barely speak pope wanted to resign but was advised against it by the man who became pope and is now resigning....

Once again - Don't Do As I Do - Do As I Say is the message.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Sarky wrote: »
    Awaiting a whine from one of the usual suspects that he was hounded out by the vicious black-hearted anti-catholic liberal agenda.

The vicious, black-hearted, anti-catholic, liberal, atheist, gay, feminist agenda!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

Listening to RTE news at one is kind of like listening to a parallel universe. They had a lot of the usual suspects on discussing the pope, Vincent Twomey, Breda O´Brien, Gina Menzies, many of them extolling the virtues of this guy, and then even Gilmore comes on and says what he has to say, complimenting Benny for his work for peace. RTE devoted practically their whole programme to the story, while, sensibly, I thought, newstalk only gave it a few minutes.

I find it eerie. There is this elephant in the room that no-one seems to want to mention, and that RTE don't seem to have got, and it's that IT DOESN'T MATTER. Whoever is made the next pope is still going to be pope. The church is not going to be anything other than the hypocritical, judgmental, power crazed, morally bankrupt institution that it is now. RTE certainly don't seem to get the fact that a new pope will not make any difference to the vast majority of people in this, or any country, and this obsession with the RCC really belongs to a different decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Awaiting a whine from one of the usual suspects that he was hounded out by the vicious black-hearted anti-catholic liberal agenda.

Nope, I think they'll toe the "resigned for his health" line for as long as it takes for the scandal to break. Then they'll switch to saying he'd been hounded out, and say they've been saying that all along.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

kylith wrote: »
    The vicious, black-hearted, anti-catholic, liberal, atheist, gay, feminist agenda!

Aw - It's so nice to have one's work recognised.

I'd like to thank me Nan for always having my back and Bankie Sullivan for the wonderfully bizarre education that insisted on critical analysis as the foundation of learning.

*bawls tears of happiness*

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭qwert2

seamus wrote: »
    Because he's the head of a oppressive, manipulative and dangerous organisation which claims to have brainwashed more than a billion people into its ranks.

Changes in that organisation affect all of us whether or not we're part of it. So of course we're interested.

In your opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 22,261 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Any word on how this affects infallibility? This was brought in since the previous retirement, wasnt it? Are ex popes infallible? Would be handy when benny's arguing over the remote in the tv room on the retirement home...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,387 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Not long until we see the white smoke from the Vatican chimney.

Not for the election of the next Pope, but from Ratzinger burning all the church child abuse records before he leaves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

qwert2 wrote: »

In your opinion

Yes, it's just his opinion that the church covered up mountains of child abuse, that the pope demonised whole sections of society in his speeches which are available online. Not fact at all. Goodness, no.

There is a difference between opinion and fact. You would do well to learn it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Aquarius34

Knex. wrote: »
    Because, the Catholic church is an organistaion that, in my opinion, holds back society to a certain, if not large, extent. It directly affects us on a daily basis.

At least now that backward thinking git is out of his position, and hopefully a more modern thinking man can take his place. Although, modern thinking and the Catholic church is a bit of an oxymoron.

Of course, that's what the church has done since it was founded.

"checks to see if these walls are hollow"

What does the pope have for breakfast?

Ex Benedict!

:-)

The Catholic church have enough gold and money to build a light beam spaceship to beam them the fcuk out of here! It's good timing now to do it as Benny has resigned. They can take all their money and gold with them.

Aquarius34 wrote: »
    The Catholic church have enough gold and money to build a light beam spaceship to beam them the fcuk out of here! It's good timing now to do it as Benny has resigned. They can take all their money and gold with them.
    How can they take it with them if they've spent it on a light beam spaceship?!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

The ship is made of gold, silly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭achtungbarry

eviltwin wrote: »

What would Jesus do? ;)

Go off to live with 12 men?

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭qwert2

Yes, it's just his opinion that the church covered up mountains of child abuse, that the pope demonised whole sections of society in his speeches which are available online. Not fact at all. Goodness, no.

There is a difference between opinion and fact. You would do well to learn it.

"claims to have brainwashed more than a billion people into its ranks"

Really?!

endacl wrote: »
    How can they take it with them if they've spent it on a light beam spaceship?!?

Well, suppose that's a fair question, but the dinosaurs only died out 7000 years ago, so you never know! They own a lot of banks so I am sure they'll have a few quid left over anyway. They can sell all their critter dresses and hats on ebay perhaps?

Anyway they are closest to God and that of course means God will grant them more money. Afterall they can make miracles happen!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Doctor Strange

resm.png

Someone got on this sharpish (the last line)

For those who don't know what Operation Yewtree is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Yewtree

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Aquarius34 wrote: »
    Well, suppose that's a fair question, but the dinosaurs only died out 7000 years ago, so you never know! They own a lot of banks so I am sure they'll have a few quid left over anyway. They can sell all their critter dresses and hats on ebay perhaps?

Anyway they are closest to God and that of course means God will grant them more money. Afterall they can make miracles happen!

Another new atheist who thinks the Catholic Church is young earth creationist.

• Advertisement

And.......

...... Thread goes haywire!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

Uncanny. 2 fictional icons leading hordes of deluded fans

tumblr_m1ibeuMKNE1qbscilo1_500.jpg

Benny's legacy.

Nazi. Hilter youth and german army deserter.

Head of the Department of cover ups and silenced children in the vatican. Promoted

Pope (one of many current catholic popes) of RCC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

endacl wrote: »
    And.......

...... Thread goes haywire!

It wasn't the most cerebral of threads anyway.

I'm not an Atheist, they too, are as lost as people who believe in religion.

I'm a realist...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,848 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Hilter youth and german army deserter.
    surely that's a good thing?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Ah heyor.. leave it ouuuuuuu...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

qwert2 wrote: »
    In your opinion

Read that comment and this popped into my head:

tumblr_meodqpYofy1qlcpnj.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Well, at least the Irish Times readers have their priorities right:

240585.png

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Was I being naive when I heard this this morning, to excitedly hope that the resignation was part of taking responsibility for his role in coverups etc?

I wonder will there be some renewed effort to prosecute for his involvement now that whatever protection his position entailed is gone.

One can always dream.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

German Chancellor Angela Merkel
    "He is and remains one of the most significant religious thinkers of our time."

Is this an oxymoron?

Minister-President of Bavaria Horst Seehofer
    "With his charisma and his tireless work for the good of the Church, the Pope from Bavaria has inspired people all over the world."

If covering up for paedophiles and looking like a twisted, evil emperor, whilst spouting ignorance and bigotry constitutes charisma, then yes, he was quite 'charismatic'. Charles Manson was also a charismatic individual.

Advertisement