Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What your child did/said that made you smile today.

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

^^^
    Me too, first time!
    8 month old daughter had to goto hospital yesterday, high fever and not taking fluids.. kept her in last night (and tonight). Was in most of the day, wife stayed in hospital last night, I stayed with 4 year old at home. Not too serious by comparison to others in there.

Anyway, she made me smile when she perked up, started babbling, smiling and chatting. Then she tried to eat her IV line, made me laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭ladypip

Little one was composing songs on request last night.
    "Tu veux une chanson sur l'esprit ou sur l'espoir?" (do you want a song about spriit or hope?)
    Pleasantly surprised by both the alliteration and the soft, philosophical nature of the options, I went with the former.

"There was a load of spirits and they opened their mouths and they had bombs in their mouths and their bums were full of fireworks and if you put your hand in there it would get blown off and you'd probably be dead for the rest of your life."

It scanned/rhymed a little better in the original, mind.

Hands down funniest thing I have ever read!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Son off school all week with earache ,he said to me yesterday there was farting in his ear.Turns out his abcess had burst.Thought what a great description of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

I am quite careful with my use of language around the children, but they do pick it up, especially our little daughter. So in the car the other day and the 4yr old says, quite distinctly and emphatically, 'oh bugger it', i said what darling, she says ' oh bugger it mommy i forget to remind daddy to bring his thingy to work like he asked me' she has said worse, but not so meaningfully, I guess I need to be more careful, or use some less specific exclamations.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

lynski wrote: »
    I am quite careful with my use of language around the children, but they do pick it up, especially our little daughter. So in the car the other day and the 4yr old says, quite distinctly and emphatically, 'oh bugger it', i said what darling, she says ' oh bugger it mommy i forget to remind daddy to bring his thingy to work like he asked me' she has said worse, but not so meaningfully, I guess I need to be more careful, or use some less specific exclamations.

What's wrong with 'bugger it' in that context? She could have used erm...more...colourful language!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

My six year old came racing into me at 3:30am - "Mammy, mammy, it's snowing, it's so exciting, it's just like Christmas without the decorations".

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

She seems to have found her inner Alanis. While playing their favourite game of 'insults' she came out with these (translated and reordered)
    You're a useless pancake mix
    You're a flower no-one wants to pick
    You're an apple no-one wants to eat
    You're a book that no-one wants to read

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

my 22 yr old, came home cooked a meal for herself, let all the pots pans and delph scattered around countertop and sink,
    never dresses her bed,
    all her clothes are on the floor, even though i did provide wardrobe and hangers,
    i am falling over her shoes every monday morning,
    when i give out, she goes out door saying she is in a hurry someplace,

just a little glimpse into the future for all you with those 20 yrs younger than her

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

goat2 wrote: »
    my 22 yr old, came home cooked a meal for herself, let all the pots pans and delph scattered around countertop and sink,
    never dresses her bed,
    all her clothes are on the floor, even though i did provide wardrobe and hangers,
    i am falling over her shoes every monday morning,
    when i give out, she goes out door saying she is in a hurry someplace,

just a little glimpse into the future for all you with those 20 yrs younger than her
    Next time she goes somewhere in a hurry, change the locks........problem solved! :pac:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

He's discovered the wonders of toilet humour.

"Goosey goosey gander, whither shall I wander,
    Upstairs, downstairs, in my lady's chamber,
    There I met an old man, who would not say his prayers,
    So I took him by the left leg,
    and POO-POOed down the stairs!"

Then he collapsed laughing at his own wit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Gandhi

Hadn't checked this thread in ages. Forgot how funny it was.

A few weeks back I was playing with my two when the 4-year-old went to the bathroom. A few minutes after he came back it dawned on me that I had noticed earlier we were out of toilet paper in that bathroom.

"Did you go poopies?"
    "Yes"
    "Did you wipe your behind?"
    "No, there was no toilet paper"
    "I'll get some toilet paper and we'll wipe it now. Otherwise it will get all itchy and sore."
    "No. I'm fine. It stopped itching now that my underpants is stuck to it."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

My 17 / 18 year old decided he's quitting school, and also said that he's sick of being there as there are so many ***** there...

It's all such fun isn't it.......

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭bubbaloo

Gandhi wrote: »
    Hadn't checked this thread in ages. Forgot how funny it was.

A few weeks back I was playing with my two when the 4-year-old went to the bathroom. A few minutes after he came back it dawned on me that I had noticed earlier we were out of toilet paper in that bathroom.

"Did you go poopies?"
    "Yes"
    "Did you wipe your behind?"
    "No, there was no toilet paper"
    "I'll get some toilet paper and we'll wipe it now. Otherwise it will get all itchy and sore."
    "No. I'm fine. It stopped itching now that my underpants is stuck to it."

This - every day of my life - EVERY DAY!!!! My washing machine is just full of pooey pants!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I always tell my 2 yr old son that he's the best boy in the whole wide world. This morning I was getting him dressed for crèche and he told me I was the best mammy in the whole wide world. My heart melted!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,271 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I dropped something yesterday and said "f**king hell" under my breath, not realising my 3yr old was behind me.

He was playing and I watched to see if he reacted or heard me. Nothing.

Imagine my surprise when about 2hrs later he began saying "f**king hell" repeatedly out of the blue!!

Hopefully he will forget it soon! Otherwise I will have a bit of explaining to do to his grannys.

But I did find myself laughing to myself after I got over the initial shock.

I aksed my five year old what he was giving up for Lent.
    Him: Dinner.
    Me: Nice try
    Him: Baths?
    Me: Not happening buddy.
    Him: Ok ok Im going to give up the bold corner
    Me: You cant give that up sweetie thats a punishment when you are naughty.
    Him: Mammy maybe YOU should give up deciding things for other people.
    Hahhaha

He cracks me up

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

ladypip wrote: »
    I aksed my five year old what he was giving up for Lent.
    Him: Dinner.
    Me: Nice try
    Him: Baths?
    Me: Not happening buddy.
    Him: Ok ok Im going to give up the bold corner
    Me: You cant give that up sweetie thats a punishment when you are naughty.
    Him: Mammy maybe YOU should give up deciding things for other people.
    Hahhaha

He cracks me up
    He sounds gas:D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,271 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

... and too clever for his own good. Worth a watching that one!

What's wrong with 'bugger it' in that context? She could have used erm...more...colourful language!

oh she does, it was more the emphatic nature of it.
    her fav expression to get under my skin is 'pooy, fxxxing, stupid' it always makes me think of the exorcist as she is so cute and petite and pretty and the language is so bad.
    I am quite lucky though - i can blame Nana for the bad words as she is the only one who uses them regularly around the kids!:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,791 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I'm always using the "fcuks sake" under my breath when the red mist is up.

Looked in at the 2 eldest girls bedroom which was a mess. Said to them that they had 5 minutes to tidy it up.

Youngest (3) looks in the door, looks at me and says "is that a fcuk sake room"

I'm never swearing again...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

This is actually ages ago when my son was about 2 (he's 4 now), but talking about cursing around them, I do this most in the car. One christmas eve, I was "a bit stressed" in the car and made reference to a f***ing spanner. His reply was " daddy, what's a f***ing spanner". I didn't hear him, but wondered why my wife was in tears laughing and trying not to, only made worse by an insistent "tell me" from him.

dubstarr wrote: »
    He sounds gas:D

He is Hilarious check my other posts on here. He always has me cracking up with laughter :)

words are coming very slowly to ds2, who is 2 next week, but he got one pretty fast on sat. We very very rarely buy soft drinks but on sat we got some cola. Gave the little man a taste as he wants everything his big sis and bro have. He held up the empty cup and said 'coke' and after we looked astounded at him 'mamma i wan coke' no bother after hearing the word for the first time once 3 minute previously.
    they will beat you everytime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

My three year old loves insects, especially spiders. Whenever there is one in the house, she wants to collect it and cuddle it! Her older sister and brother hate them (as do most people) but she is the opposite.
    On Sunday morning, she was downstairs with the older two and my wife and I were having a well deserved lie-in. At around 9.30, she woke me up to tell me she had been "cuddling" a spider when it had run up her sleeve. She was distraught because she was worried the spider was lost! I had to laugh, if it was either of my other two kids, they would have been freaking out if a spider even looked at them, if one had gone inside their clothes they would have needed counselling! I found the spider and she wandered off again, delighted to have her friend back. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

"Daddy, say yes or I might cry a little bit..... and you will not like that!"

"Daddy, say yes or I might cry a little bit..... and you will not like that!"

you are so screwed ... start the yoga now with an emphasis on bending around tiny appendages ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

Our three year old got her first Valentines card this morning, when she opened it she gasped

"oh my goodness its sooooo cute"

followed by

"is it for me? really? is it? is it?"

she was so excited and she hasn't let go of the card yet. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭hollster2

:Dmy 3yr old came into me I gave him a kiss and he said hes not going to wipe off this one because it was valentines day !!:D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I was trying to suss out my three year old by asking him what he would think if I grew a new baby in my belly.

He thought about it for a short while and answered, "I think you'd be enormous!"

He then puffed out his cheeks and stuck out his tummy and collapsed laughing. Thanks, son.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 155 ✭✭ladysarah

I really enjoy your stories. Any new ones please?

Advertisement