Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

75% equine DNA found in meat products that had been sent from Poland

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

One more thing there use to be a lot more cats around maybe they ended up in our supermarkets too.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Ranicand wrote: »
    As regards the Polish why even mention this?

If it says 100% Irish beef why is anything added from another country?

Also Poland do produce Horse meat maybe McAdam Foods purchased filler with horse meat from Poland that was sold as such.

All the lies seen to be on this end and the Government is up to their necks in it.

How can they say horse meat is safe if they don't now how the horse meat got into the food chain in the first place ?

Let us not forget it was not only horse meat in the mix there was also pork.

All these lies going on I wonder what else goes into our food.

The only way to eat meat is to go into a proper butcher and see the cow carcass.
    That there's a downright fallacy. Roadkills yer only man. Aint never found no horse or pork in Ma's squirrell dippers.

Pottler wrote: »
    That there's a downright fallacy. Roadkills yer only man. Aint never found no horse or pork in Ma's squirrell dippers.

Anyway mystery solved.

http://paddypowerblog.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/blog_tesco_hdr.jpg?w=610

Did they test them burgers for traces of Jockey?:D

Pottler wrote: »
    Did they test them burgers for traces of Jockey?:D

Yes they found some Piggott DNA.:D

• Advertisement

Yes they found some Piggott DNA.:D
    Lester your cheek sonny:D

mmm i've not quite thought this through, As long I'm not eating human and semen I not too bother what my burgers are made of as long it taste nice and fill me up

Unknown ingredients are potentially dangerous.

Horses bred for racing, not for eating, can be full of drugs dangerous to humans.

This throws up a VERY important question that nobody has mentioned yet.......how long has it been going on and the pork, everyone focuses on the horse but if untraceable ingredients were being thrown in it isnt too far a stretch to think they disposed of the poisonous pork with the dioxins by putting it in with our beef burgers.

This whole attitude of "I don`t care whats in it once it tastes good or is cheap" is silly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Matt_Trakker

I wonder how long will it take for the truth to come out.
    Alan Reilly, chief executive of the Food Safety Authority, said the latest findings demonstrated that Ireland was dealing with fraud, not an accidental contamination.

"We're no longer talking about trace amounts of horse DNA in product. We're talking about horsemeat. Somebody, someplace, is drip-feeding horsemeat into the burger manufacturing industry. We don't know yet exactly where this is happening. All the documentary checks that we have on these shipments show that they have come from Poland," Reilly said.

Reilly chided Polish veterinary authorities for failing to tell Ireland about any of the official results of their investigations there.

But Susan O'Keeffe, an Irish senator whose work as an investigative journalist two decades ago blew the lid on corrupt practices among Irish beef exporters, said the paper trail could not be trusted to identify the horsemeat fraudsters. She noted that Irish producers two decades ago were caught mislabeling meat for a range of scams, including the sale of rotten beef hearts to Russia and non-halal meat to Muslim countries.

"People were employed to cut, scrape labels off frozen meat, and put their own stamps on it," O'Keeffe said. "You could do it with the meat itself, and you could do it with the box. You could forge labels. You could write your own labels. You could print your own labels. All of this did happen in our time."

O'Keeffe said Ireland therefore could not trust its conclusions now to labels and papers that could be forged or altered. "It doesn't naturally follow that the meat came from Poland or that the meat was Polish," she said. "It might be. But it may not be."

source

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭crusher000

Ireland again leading the race to the bottom, even when we have the greatest quality of beef in the world we have to spoil it. Pressure to produce affordable food for the big supermarkets should never be a reason to compromise our produce.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

hopefully they will find out exactily ,who knowingly put horsmeat instead of beef into packaging, and whether that packaging was tagged with the name horse meat insteat of beef

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 581 ✭✭✭phoenix999

And the Poles are denying it. Say they want further proof.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭bluewhitehoops

I wonder what else might have gone unnoticed, could we be drinking horse milk!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Now sky news say that Findus Lasagne contains 100% horse meat ........Not dna this time

http://news.sky.com/story/1049133/findus-beef-lasagne-meals-100-percent-horsemeat

100 %

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

Now sky news say that Findus Lasagne contains 100% horse meat ........Not dna this time

http://news.sky.com/story/1049133/findus-beef-lasagne-meals-100-percent-horsemeat

100 %

Find us beef:D

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭faral

well it's not too bad, I could be 110% of horse or kinda mixture cat-dog-horse meat:DDD

looks like we might as well have been eating dog food all along

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

I once knew a horse. He died.:(

Was his name 'Delicious' ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 581 ✭✭✭phoenix999

Findus food has all the consistency of saw dust anyway. Dont know how anyone could eat the stuff.

there is only one answer, support the small butcher shop in the cormer, the owner is always there, he is able to tell you exactily what farm your meat come from, mine get his in a ten mile radius,
    i know the animal has hada good life,
    has died without stress and pain,
    i know it may sometimes dearer than the big outlets, but i would rather have little of a good, thing than loads of rubbish from a box that may have nothing of what it says on the box in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

goat2 wrote: »
    there is only one answer, support the small butcher shop in the cormer, the owner is always there, he is able to tell you exactily what farm your meat come from, mine get his in a ten mile radius,
    i know it may sometimes dearer than the big outlets, but i would rather have little of a good, thing than loads of rubbish from a box that may have nothing of what it says on the box in it.
    Agreed.

Unfortunately a lot of people are stretched financially so they cannot afford to buy all their meat from the butchers. On balance, said people could cut down on junk food, booze, uber sky packages etc. and be well able to afford to eat healthy. Junk food is simply too cheap.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

shedweller wrote: »
    Agreed.

Unfortunately a lot of people are stretched financially so they cannot afford to buy all their meat from the butchers. On balance, said people could cut down on junk food, booze, uber sky packages etc. and be well able to afford to eat healthy. Junk food is simply too cheap.
    **** that, booze, uber sky and horse burgers all the way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

In spite of the recent scandal - Consumers still prefer Tesco value burgers above those offered by rival supermarkets.
    This is according to a recent poll conducted by Horse Racing Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

the butcher near me said his business is booming since all this horse meat stuff has been in the news.

at last people are staying local,
    support local,
    the local man pays , buys from local farms, his taxes employs local and live local, so he gives and he gets, money was made round to go round.

it may be the best thing to happen our economy in the past four yrs, people were all into buying fast foods,
    but fast foods have now proven to be foods from fast animals,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

I was in Lidl not long back and they had a sign up instore at their flour letting customers know it was being recalled cuz they'd found Moth eggs in it:eek:, round same time Aldi were recalling their Meatballs (horseballs) cuz glass was found in them. They only had a little sign on a window, nearly wouldn't see it.

THIS is another thing that needs to be sorted, why is this stuff on the shelfs with no checks?!

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭faral

horse meat orginated from Romania according to CNN
    http://edition.cnn.com/2013/02/09/world/europe/uk-horsemeat-probe/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

I want to know whats in chicken nuggets, chicken gougons, chicken curry, fish fingers & hot dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,293 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

goat2 wrote: »

Yeah he is always there all right, ready to charge his customers a lot more than the bigger stores for meat.

Meat from the butcher stalls in the supermarkets are just as good and cheaper in price as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,293 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Sure it won't do anyone any harm anyway, was watching some young fella on Sky News whinging about it and you would swear he was after eating rusty nails the way he was going on.

• Advertisement

Sure it won't do anyone any harm anyway, was watching some young fella on Sky News whinging about it and you would swear he was after eating rusty nails the way he was going on.
    to be honest,
    i would rather eat rusty nails,
    at least i know i am having rust and rust only.

than take my chances with the foods that now mentioned as contaminated

Advertisement