Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

75% equine DNA found in meat products that had been sent from Poland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭pabloh999

Bloody Polish horses coming over here stealin our burgers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

So when are these places going to be done for false advertising? Or was there something in the small print that nobody reads?

And if i go to a butcher to buy steaks and they are said to be from Ireland, are they actually from Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Aquarius34

pmcmahon wrote: »
    emigrate to mars then.

Nah. I'm just not putting up with the burgers or the corruption mate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Once again the Irish food business is set back because of greed.
    When this state starts to put greedy wealthy men/women behind bars we might get somewhere near to a stable standard of living for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Aquarius34

MadYaker wrote: »
    There was no mention of horse meat. Its horse DNA they found, not the same thing. These burgers weren't 75% horse meat. Thats why I made the point that the title makes no sense and doesn't really mean much. But of course most people don't realise this.

To be honest I don't give a flying f*ck what meat is in my burgers as long its not human. They only time I eat cheap meat is at 3am after a feed of pints and I couldn't care less! I'm just of sick of it being in the media all the time.

What do you expect from the media? Honest fair worthwhile unbiased news?

Horse DNA burger is a horse burger mate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Fungus wrote: »
    Supermacs source "ALL their burgers from Rangeland", the plant at centre of 75% scare.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/archives/2013/0117/world/fast-food-chief-says-shop-customers-aposmisledapos-219817.html

Never going to SuperMacs again.

And the chicken is from China via the Netherlands according to the boxes it comes in.

Also my local Chipper had a notice from rangeland in the wall sayings burgers supplied to this outlet were not affected. Ha. I highly doubt that. Still ordered a quarter pounder

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭collegeme

squod wrote: »
    Just googled OSI. They're supplied by ABP food group apparently.

http://www.abpfoodgroup.com/aibp-wins-osi-mcdonalds-supplier-of-the-year-award-for-2011/

Silvercrest is one of their companies like.

http://www.abpfoodgroup.com/divisions/abp-convenience-foods/our-companies/

Think I'll stick to fillet o'fish for now.

Are you sure it's fish though. I honestly have been put off all processed food.( says the one wit a dublin coddle simmering for tomorrow's dinner)

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭efc67

Who supplies mcdonalds

Dawn meats in Waterford won the contract last year

http://www.rte.ie/news/business/2012/0523/322080-mcdonalds-ireland-signs-300m-deal-with-dawn-meats/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

sfwcork wrote: »
    Why shouldnt we eat horse..other countries eat it and alot worse

The problem is the horse meat in the BEEF burgers. If it was a horse meat burger advertised as a horse meat burger there wouldn't be a problem.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Fungus wrote: »
    Supermacs source "ALL their burgers from Rangeland", the plant at centre of 75% scare.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/archives/2013/0117/world/fast-food-chief-says-shop-customers-aposmisledapos-219817.html

Never going to SuperMacs again.

McDonalds also source their meat from Rangeland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

That company, Rangeland are huge suppliers to the nation's chippers.

Any of you had a quarter pounder lately?
    no, but had a nice 3/4 pounder at supermacs tonite
    neiiiiigghhhh!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 anniegetsit

Piece on irishtimes.com says that Supermac's had its beef independently tested to prove that it is 100% Irish beef. Irish beef is not involved in this. Rangeland Meats also gave written guarantees to Supermac's saying that all the beef was 100% Irish following tests they had independently conducted themselves.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2013/0204/breaking59.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

Piece on irishtimes.com says that Supermac's had its beef independently tested to prove that it is 100% Irish beef. Irish beef is not involved in this. Rangeland Meats also gave written guarantees to Supermac's saying that all the beef was 100% Irish following tests they had independently conducted themselves.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2013/0204/breaking59.html
    presumably all the evidence has conveniently been eaten at this stage

apart from the stuff which they claim was never put into the food chain

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Johnnie Walker

cui prodest scelus, is fecit
    he has committed the crime who has derived the profit

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

So we get beef from poland?

so much for "100% Irish beef" :rolleyes:

as long as it's processed here they can call it Irish, one of the many failings of the labeling scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Jacob T wrote: »
    I hate the pro-"must eat meat to be healthy mentality" to be honest. The section of your post quoted in bold is quite an adventurous "fact" - given the once every year or 2 scandals/outbreaks/etc regarding meat.

So there you are, I would trust the WHO, BMA and Oxford university (and several other) studies over your deluded ramblings - no offence.
    Source for that quote, thank you please?

Also, most of the findings mentioned cite only correlation. You'd expect vegetarians to be healthier than the average population as they've demonstrated the will and self-discipline to give up nice food.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Once again the Irish food business is set back because of greed.
    When this state starts to put greedy wealthy men/women behind bars we might get somewhere near to a stable standard of living for everyone.
    Meanwhile in the UK an MP is likely to go to prison because ten years ago he got his wife to take the hit on three penalty points he got.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

UCDVet wrote: »
    I don't care that there was horse meat in it....What I want to know is why is beef so expensive in Ireland?

When I first got here I was told how much better it was and how they grazed in open fields of green and pooped Irish rainbows and didn't use hormones or steroids or anything else...and that the beef was tightly regulated and tracked from farm to plate.

And everyone told me it tasted much better for it.

I'll happily eat the unregulated mystery meat (that we've all been eating) but why can't I get it at a reasonable price?

The price of meat correlates with the price of cattle. They were very expensive last year but have come down a bit.

The price of cattle will be affected by weather and the amount of grass, quality of grass and the price of feed stuffs. Feed stuffs have become very dear due to the bad weather this summer so this affects the profit margin of the farmer, then the butcher, then the over all price you pay!

You get what you pay for I suppose. I've never tasted meat abroad as good as Irish meat, but maybe it's in my own head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

Horsey horsey don't you stop,

Just let your legs go clipity clop,

You're tail goes swish,

And the wheels go around,

Giddy up we're homeward bound.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭crusher000

Typical Ireland when you have a good thing going F**k it up. More greed, no one goes to jail and our Government will find some way to slap a tax of some kind on the whole thing so they can take more money from our pocket. Rouge State end off story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭radharc

JupiterKid wrote: »

McDonalds also source their meat from Rangeland.
    No, they don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭faral

Good news for you folks-the Polish factory which delivered meat to Ireland is actually owned by.....Rangeland:)
    On the other hands horse meat is more expensive over there and Poland is the biggest exporter of horse meat in Europe, main markets are Italy and Japan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

where do rangeland operate from,

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

So the odds on Gettingbeefwithyourburger have now drifted out to 3/1 with Deadpolishlancer now being installed as the odds on favourite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

goat2 wrote: »
    A Ranch. Seemingly.

I for one am dying to see a properly labeled "Mustang Burger" to see if people are really that bothered.

"It's a horse of a burger" could be the strapline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Carrickmacross

crusher000 wrote: »
    Typical Ireland when you have a good thing going F**k it up. More greed, no one goes to jail and our Government will find some way to slap a tax of some kind on the whole thing so they can take more money from our pocket. Rouge State end off story.
    Indeed, they're scarleh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/mcadam-foods-identifies-itself-as-dealer-at-centre-of-horsemeat-controversy-583762.html
    this is just terrible,
    breaking the backbone of this country, we are known for our brilliant produce,
    and to find that they tainted it,
    where does bord bia come into it,

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/mcadam-foods-identifies-itself-as-dealer-at-centre-of-horsemeat-controversy-583762.html
    this is just terrible,
    breaking the backbone of this country, we are known for our brilliant produce,
    and to find that they tainted it,
    where does bord bia come into it,
    Sure it's too late now, like closing the stable door..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

As regards the Polish why even mention this?

If it says 100% Irish beef why is anything added from another country?

Also Poland do produce Horse meat maybe McAdam Foods purchased filler with horse meat from Poland that was sold as such.

All the lies seen to be on this end and the Government is up to their necks in it.

How can they say horse meat is safe if they don't now how the horse meat got into the food chain in the first place ?

Let us not forget it was not only horse meat in the mix there was also pork.

All these lies going on I wonder what else goes into our food.

The only way to eat meat is to go into a proper butcher and see the cow carcass.

Advertisement