Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lolek Ltd, Trading as 'The Iona Institute'

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭Silvio.Dante

Benny_Cake wrote: »
    Tokenism is the problem surely?RTE get to tick a box saying that Christians were represented in that debate, thanks to David Quinn. Plenty of thoughtful people in the various denominations could discuss the issues without the hatchet job on statistics that Iona usually provide.

Who do you want to be chosen as the token Christian..?

Sarky wrote: »
    So make it known that despicable arseholes like Quinn and Mullen don't represent you.

I have no objection to either Ronán or David representing the Life position in media discussions...

ninja900 wrote: »
    Silvio, I think I speak for many here when I say that I eagerly await your appearance on Prime Time. Make it so...

Well we all know RTE is infiltrated by Liberalista extremists. Surely one of you guys can make 'the call'...;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

If it's felt by you and others that Christians need to distance themselves from him and the Iona Institute, they'd probably take that as a compliment. It hardly needs to be pointed out that Christians hold a diverse range of opinions on issues.

You were just after complaining about people like them giving everyone the impression that they represented all Christians by getting all the limelight. Your response it to just let them do it? "Turn the other cheek" does not apply to all cases, you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Doctor Strange

Well we all know RTE is infiltrated by Liberalista extremists. Surely one of you guys can make 'the call'...;)

Ah yes, curse those liberal extremists. They go around committing violent acts in the na.... Oh, wait, that's extreme conservatives.

Is there such thing as an extreme liberal? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,842 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Ah yes, curse those liberal extremists. They go around committing violent acts in the na.... Oh, wait, that's extreme conservatives.

"Use free speech or else!"

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

"Use free speech or else!"

'I am very disappointed that you are so intolerant but accept you have that right.'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

Yes, there is. They are the ones who favour fanatical, uncompromising expressions of progressive social reform. Vermin, in other words. The world would be better off without them, along with tame ducks, dry water, and gentle Tory judges (to paraphrase Brendan Behan).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

Sarky wrote: »

You were just after complaining about people like them giving everyone the impression that they represented all Christians by getting all the limelight. Your response it to just let them do it? "Turn the other cheek" does not apply to all cases, you know.

I'm not sure what exactly you expect people to do. It's a free society, and given the rapid change in views in such issues as same-sex marriage the Iona Institute are likely to continue to be in demand - on that issue, they represent a constituency in sharp decline. I don't have the resources to do anything other than contact the likes of RTE and Newstalk to suggest that when, for example, gay marriage is discussed it might be useful to ask a representative of Changing Attitudes Ireland to join the discussion. Aside from that,talking about it here or tweeting David Quinn to remind him that he's a bit of a prat is about all I can do. Most people don't have the resources to start a think-tank, or the media connections of David Quinn or John Waters.

A degree of common sense is needed too. Conor Faughnan of the AA is never off the radio but most people don't assessment that he is representative of everyone who drives a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

A degree of common sense is needed too. Conor Faughnan of the AA is never off the radio but most people don't assessment that he is representative of everyone who drives a car.

Benny, I must ask, is this a valid comparison?

• Advertisement

pauldla wrote: »

Benny, I must ask, is this a valid comparison?

It was a bit tongue in cheek, but put it this way, there are certain number of talking heads that get called on to defend a particular interest group or viewpoint. The AA, IBEC, ISME... I'm not suggesting that Iona are in the same category but but it would seem to be common sense that a tiny NGO wouldn't be assumed to be the voice of Christians in Ireland. In fairness, most people here seem to accept that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Anton Savage - representing for motorists since 2008. Respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 micho

Galvasean wrote: »
    The closest one I saw was the recent on where they reported that 'over 90% of Irish Catholics believe in God' as if it were some kind of achievement.
    David Quinn was editor of The Irish Catholic for a number of years, he still writes an occassional column for them. With regard to The Iona institute, they constantly issue 'documents quoting social research to re-enforce their agennda, the only problem is that it is always selective and skewed. I don't have a link but I think it was sometime last year that Quinn wrote an article in The Irish Catholic quoting from discredited rersearch in the US, which purportes to link paedaphilia to homosexuality. Similarly research on the life chances and outcomes for children of never married parents is always mis- qouted to show negative outcomes.

The agemda of this group headed by Quinn is clear, they want public policies, laws and civil society to reflect Roman Catholic social and moral teaching.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

micho wrote: »
    The agemda of this group headed by Quinn is clear, they want public policies, laws and civil society to reflect Roman Catholic social and moral teaching.
    And censorship too. Turns out that it's not censorship when you do it yourself.

Did this news pass by? Quinn is threatening to sue TCD's student newspaper, The University Times:

http://trinitynews.ie/university-times-threatened-with-legal-action-over-iona-institute-articles/

Quinn announced that he felt "personally defamed". And that he objected to the description of his outfit as "discriminatory" -- I thought that was the point of the II?!

More here:

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2013/02/07/the-iona-does-not-discriminate-everybody-clear/
    http://www.krank.ie/category/main/iona-institute-threatens-legal-action/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,842 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

If he wants to be personally defamed, perhaps we should get #PoisonousC.unt trending on Twitter. :rolleyes:

robindch wrote: »
    And censorship too. Turns out that it's not censorship when you do it yourself.

Did this news pass by? Quinn is threatening to sue TCD's student newspaper, The University Times:

http://trinitynews.ie/university-times-threatened-with-legal-action-over-iona-institute-articles/

The most interesting bit of that was the Institute
    ...has said that it would prefer to not have to take legal action.

..because they know that it would go nowhere, I'd imagine. Threatening to sue a student newspaper over something like this is spiteful and petty-minded.

The 'liberal' Agenda is indeed extreme.

Its gross intolerance of people of faith is obsessive.
    The sneering disregard of Conservative, traditional values are nigh on facistic...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,867 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Odd sort of 'liberalista extremists' when II are never off RTE TV/radio and never ever asked a hard question. When Tubridy soft-soaps disgraced bishops but gives Richard Dawkins dogs abuse. When they broadcast ludicrously wrong numbers of marchers for both the pro-choice and anti-choice marches. When they broadcast the fcuking Angelus every bloody day. There's an agenda at work all right...

Life ain't always empty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

The sneering disregard of Conservative, traditional values are nigh on facistic...

You could apply this to almost any generation of liberal thinking. Fecking liberals(suffragettes) and their complete disregard of conservative, traditional values. A woman is for the kitchen and lacks the capacity to vote. Fascists the lot of them!

The Civil Rights movement was also in deep opposition to the traditional, conservative values of the South in America...... Traditional or conservative doesn't mean that they're fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

If he wants to be personally defamed, perhaps we should get #PoisonousC.unt trending on Twitter. :rolleyes:

...that wouldn't count, afaik. You'd have to say something specific, linked to a criminal offence or action.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Bobby42

He's constantly portraying himself as the victim and oppressed. Any criticism is seen as bigotry and a "river of bile".

Yet he tweets this acticle:

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/brendanoneill2/100202066/how-did-the-irish-go-from-being-the-pluckiest-and-funniest-people-in-europe-to-the-most-boring-and-self-pitying/

Which basically says that the magdalene laundries story has been greatly exaggerated and the Irish need to stop moaning.

Disgusting stuff.

ninja900 wrote: »
    Odd sort of 'liberalista extremists' when II are never off RTE TV/radio and never ever asked a hard question. When Tubridy soft-soaps disgraced bishops but gives Richard Dawkins dogs abuse. When they broadcast ludicrously wrong numbers of marchers for both the pro-choice and anti-choice marches. When they broadcast the fcuking Angelus every bloody day. There's an agenda at work all right...

Truly, this one post shows the intolerance of the Liberal Agenda...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Truly, this one post shows the intolerance of the Liberal Agenda...

I've concluded that you're nothing more than meaningless soundbytes. :)

Speaking of Tubs, I'll have to love you and leave you for the Late Late thread soon.

God bless you all...:)

*Awaits bile spewing rants* :D

*Awaits bile spewing rants* :D

in vain. ;);)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Haha - Silvio your trolling is getting better :)

Conservative traditional values are fine once everybody isn't made partake in the fun.

The problem with traditional values is that it's not traditional to let people have different viewpoints to yours is it Silvio?

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    in vain. ;);)

...:p

Haha - Silvio your trolling is getting better :)

Conservative traditional values are fine once everybody isn't made partake in the fun.

The problem with traditional values is that it's not traditional to let people have different viewpoints to yours is it Silvio?

Legitimising abortion, dismantling the concept of marriage and banishing faith education in Irish schools.

Thats what its like in 'Liberal' Ireland...:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Doctor Strange

Ah yes, damn us liberal types for wanting equality for all. Women in the kitchen, etc.

And of course, we should pass off our responsibility to teach our children morals to an organisiation that has covered up physical and sexual abuse, cause that worked so well in the past.

Incidentally, just so you're not tripping over yourself with glee Silvio, thinking you've gotten me riled up, I'm just stating facts here in a calm fashion.

• Advertisement

Legitimising abortion, dismantling the concept of marriage and banishing faith education in Irish schools.

Thats what its like in 'Liberal' Ireland...:(

Imagine living in a country that is in the 21st century, upholds its own Constitution and treats all it's citizens equally. Oh wouldn't it be luvverly.

Advertisement