Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lolek Ltd, Trading as 'The Iona Institute'

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭ironingbored

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Indeed. Prior to the Conquest (completed in the mid 17th century) Gaelic Ireland was a highly secular society where marriage was seen as a one of several options to ensure allies. It was political.

The concept of the family was vastly different to the current nuclear model which arrived with the Normans and never really caught on until the Tudors killed anyone who tried to live by the Gaelic model.
    In fact most of the Normans adopted Gaelic concepts of the family within 2 generations of their arrival.

The family was extended not nuclear- the Clann - and sought to increase it's status/protect itself by seeking alliances with other clanns.
    Marriage was an important tactic, but not the only one.

The other two were fosterage and gossiprid.

Fosterage - where a child aged around 7 left their biological family and were raised by a family who usually had no blood connection was the norm. As part of the fosterage agreement this child always inherited a portion from their foster parents but not necessarily from their biological parents. On leaving fosterage aged approx 14 these children were considered fully fledged adults and were usually married off to political advantage.

Gossiprid - where unrelated adults made a blood bond and became 'legally' related - it was considered more heinous for the bond of gossiprid to be broken then for biologically related people to kill each other.

There was no concept of illegitimacy and female virginity was not considered particularly important (it was a sexually permissive society). As marriage was about politics not romantic love or sexual attraction it was understood that both partners were free to seek sexual satisfaction outside that marriage should they wish.

It was the norm for men to have many children with a variety of women - all of these children were equal under the law with absolutely no distinction being made between legitimate and illegitimate.

Women 'named' the father of their child - this did not have to be their husband and quite often wasn't.
    There is no extant record of any man denying fatherhood having been thus 'named' nor any record of a divorce due to a woman baring the child of a man who wasn't her husband.
    The child was considered a member named father's clann not the mother's husband's. The named father would arrange fosterage and on reaching 14 years the child would be a considered fully fledged member of their biological father's clann. (Hugh O Neill was the son of Ferdoragh who was named Con Bacach O'Neill's son at the age of 12.)

Multiple sexual partners was the norm and it was so rare for husband and wife to be 'faithful' that when it did occur it was remarked upon - I have only found two entries in the Irish Annals (which cover a 1000 year period) praising a man for being faithful to his wife- the most recent dating to the 12th century (An Uí Conchobhair king was faithful to his Ní Bhrian wife - she wasn't to him :p)

Divorce was widespread (Hugh O'Neill had 6 wives). Men did not need any grounds, the law allowed 11 legal grounds for women - these 11 grounds pretty much covered everything and were primarily concerned with ensuring that women were sexually satisfied and not abused in anyway plus whether she got to hang onto some of his property - her property always remained hers and hers alone.

Homosexuality was accepted although it was grounds for a woman to divorce her husband if it meant he couldn't sexually satisfy her.

So Silvio - if you want us to embrace genuine 'traditional' Irish values, as opposed to the ones violently imposed on us by a foreign power, I'm all for a secular society where women have a great deal of personal power, where sex is guilt free, where homosexuality is considered a fact of life and all born children up to the age of 7 are considered not only equal but in value equivalent to a cleric and abortion was available- oh, by the way tansy was the most common way of aborting fetus' but I don't know if that was what (St.) Bridget used as there were other methods available and the sources do not tell us what specific method she used - just that she aborted a pregnancy.

But then you do believe foreign powers have the right to tell us how to live so I guess you don't think much of genuinely traditional Irish values.

Do you have a blog (i.e. something we can share externally on this)?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

All irrelevant.

Marriage in our society is between a man and a woman.

Not irrelevant at all. Marriage in society is a contruct of society, as nicely illustrated by Bannasidhe above. Why should gay marriage be forbidden?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Doctor Strange

The devaluation of the special position marriage has in our society...
    Britney Spears and high school friend Jason Allen Alexander, 2 days; Dennis Rodman and Carmen Electra, 9 days; Gregg Allman and Cher, 9 days; Rudolph Valentino and Jean Acker, 6 hours; Robert Evans and Catherine Oxenberg, 12 days; Jeremy Thomas and Drew Barrymore, 29 days; Ethel Merman and Ernest Borgnine, 38 days; Janet Jackson and James DeBarge, 4 months.

Yeah, it's gay marriage that will destroy the sanctity of marriage :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

Marriage is special by way of the commitment it symbolises and the rights, protections, and responsibilities it brings to those who makes those commitments. None of those characteristics change when gay couples have the right to marry.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭Silvio.Dante

lazygal wrote: »
    What special position?

As enshrined in our Constitution...

• Advertisement

koth wrote: »
    Not irrelevant at all as you you stated that marriage is an institution between a man and woman with no additional qualifiers.

Correct...

And where does the Constitution state that marriage is a man and a woman?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Do you have a blog (i.e. something we can share externally on this)?

Sorry, no- a blog would be another procrastination tool and I need another one of them like a hole in the head.

A lot of this is in a book called Women in Early Modern Ireland (eds) Mac Curtain M and O'Dowd M.

Also in From Kings to Warlords by Simms, Katherine (very very academic work!)

Interestingly Margaret Mac Curtain who along with Ken Nicholls lead the charge in discussing what Gaelic Irish society was really like (as opposed to the nationalist Catholic crap we are taught) is a Dominican nun and an all round very cool person.

Good bio of her here http://www.wic.org/bio/mmaccurt.htm

• Moderators Posts: 51,707 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Correct...

So why did you initially state that the post was irrelevant? :confused:

If you can read this, you're too close!

Since when do you give a flying about what is in our Constitution?

And no - it does not specify marriage is between a man and a woman.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Big fan of the constitution when it suits ya :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

They want it all and want it now while not giving damn for the cost to society.
    Can you also please (a) explain what you mean by the word "special" in the sentence above and (b) explain how extending marriage to gay couples "devalues" it?
    Marriage in Ireland and indeed the vast majority of the Western World has always between a Man and a Woman.
    All irrelevant.
    Silvio -- the posts by oldrnwisr and Bannasidhe are, unfortunately for you, highly relevant since they convincingly rebut the unsourced and completely inaccurate point you made.

In dialectic debate, when a point has been rebutted, the person who made the original claim is expected either to refute the rebuttal, or concede that the original claim was wrong.

Which one will you do?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Can you quote the relevant article on heterosexual marriage in the 1937 constitution?

Big fan of the constitution when it suits ya :)

Of course...

Of course...

Indeed...

Of course...
    You'll have no trouble finding the reference to heterosexual marriage so.

NuMarvel wrote: »
    And where does the Constitution state that marriage is a man and a woman?

Article 41 states quite clearly the basis of marriage in thie country. An Adam and Steve marriage would be incompatibale... Don't take my word for it. Ho Chi Quinn agrees with me...:)

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0710/328518-gay-marriage-referendum/

Article 41 states quite clearly the basis of marriage in thie country. An Adam and Steve marriage would be incompatibale... Don't take my word for it. Ho Chi Quinn agrees with me...:)

If gay marriage requires a referendum and if that referendum was passed...
    Would you accept the result???

History would suggest you might not ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

It still doesn't specify heterosexual. It would be going to a referendum and going by all the recent polls, it would be likely to pass when it does eventually go to a referendum. Would this be another one of those scenarios where you would find it necessary to ignore the will of the people and referendum results would be lobbed into the bin?

You've accused people that don't agree with you of being liberal fascists(and communists). You have no arguments against same sex marriage and your only point is that we should maintain the status quo. Slavery, civil rights, the bans on sodomy, contraceptives etc would all still be present in different western nations if we ran by your idea of rule(just a sampler). I'd prefer for evil fedora wearing liberalistas to attempt to influence policy than basking in the status quo. Society should adapt and grow rather than neglecting citizens who should have rights equal to yours or mine.

My Constitution must be different to yours. What parts of A.41 enshrine marriage as being between a man and a woman?

• Advertisement

NuMarvel wrote: »
    My Constitution must be different to yours. What parts of A.41 enshrine marriage as being between a man and a woman?
    Article 41

1. 1° The State recognises the Family as the natural primary and fundamental unit group of Society, and as a moral institution possessing inalienable and imprescriptible rights, antecedent and superior to all positive law.

2° The State, therefore, guarantees to protect the Family in its constitution and authority, as the necessary basis of social order and as indispensable to the welfare of the Nation and the State.

2. 1° In particular, the State recognises that by her life within the home, woman gives to the State a support without which the common good cannot be achieved.

2° The State shall, therefore, endeavour to ensure that mothers shall not be obliged by economic necessity to engage in labour to the neglect of their duties in the home.

3. 1° The State pledges itself to guard with special care the institution of Marriage, on which the Family is founded, and to protect it against attack.
    http://www.taoiseach.gov.ie/attached_files/html%20files/Constitution%20of%20Ireland%20(Eng)Nov2004.htm

Where does it specify the composition of 'the family'?

Where does it state marriage is only between a man and a woman?

More importantly - why am I being obliged by economic necessity to engage in labour to the neglect of my duties in the home????

Wages For Housework - It's my Constitutional Right!

I gotta take a constitutional challenge. I'll be neglecting my duties in the home after my maternity leave ends in a few weeks. Any barristers care to take the case?

In the immortal words of Albert Reynolds... "Thats women for you..."

In the immortal words of Albert Reynolds... "Thats women for you..."
    What's that got to do with the discussion?

lazygal wrote: »
    What's that got to do with the discussion?

I suspect that Silvio is looking to be banned again...saves him having to deal with all those awkward facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Well the Right to Travel is there for anyone who wishes to avail of it...:)

Great. And when Ireland legislates for same sex marriage and abortion we'll have a nice big leaving party for ya! If you're heading for Asia don't forget to bring sunscreen.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Indeed. Prior to the Conquest (completed in the mid 17th century) Gaelic Ireland was a highly secular society where marriage was seen as a one of several options to ensure allies. It was political.....

I know your post is hardly going to change Silvio's mind or anyone like them but I do hope you continue to make such posts. Nothing like a free history lesson you weren't expecting during a Saturday afternoon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

*peeks into thread*

Oh, Silvio is being proven incorrect on everything again, and he's resorting to asinine insults and running away from facts instead of examining his faulty belief. Back to my weekend away, then.

*cracks open a beer*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Sarky wrote: »
    *peeks into thread*

Oh, Silvio is being proven incorrect on everything again, and he's resorting to asinine insults and running away from facts instead of examining his faulty belief. Back to my weekend away, then.

*cracks open a beer*

mmmmmm........beeeerrrr............

• Advertisement

Sarky wrote: »
    *peeks into thread*

*cracks open a beer*

Crack me one there too please.

Advertisement