Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brian Crowely MEP (what is he doing?)

Options
  • 26-01-2013 8:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭

http://www.votewatch.eu/en/brian-crowley.html

As pointed out in another thread what is this waster doing?
    He is useless and we should be ashamed to have people like him repersenting us and he is exactly the reason the EU parliment is a bit of a joke.
    The figures speak for themselves...
    I would be great if it was mandatory in order to get his paycheck that he at least turns up most of the time.

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

shanered wrote: »
    http://www.votewatch.eu/en/brian-crowley.html

As pointed out in another thread what is this waster doing?
    He is useless and we should be ashamed to have people like him repersenting us and he is exactly the reason the EU parliment is a bit of a joke.
    The figures speak for themselves...
    I would be great if it was mandatory in order to get his paycheck that he at least turns up most of the time.
    I heard he was "quite sick" early 2012, so presume this is the reason for his absence. Should he resign and allow someone else access? Perhaps, not sure how serious his illness is.
    Not sure how european parliament works, but councillors in local authorities need to attend a specified percentage of meetings to get paid, so wonder if the same applies.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

This is directed probably more to Scofflaw and anyone else who might know rather then the OP.

Does parliament attendance include attendance to committees? Cause Mr Crowley is a member of two, and I was wondering if that figure meant he was not attending those as well, which would be in many cases more concerning then not being present at parliament.

Oh and add delegation visits to that aswell, since he is also a member of the Delegations for Relations with the United States

As for his attendance figures if all of the above is included (2 committees and delegations) in the figure on votewatch then I would be concerned but while I might not condone such a lacklustre figure, I think the briefest of googling could you tell you *why* it could be so low, not going to defend a fianna fail MEP but the man is paralysed from the waist down...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Brian was extremely ill recently. As someone who knows Crowley personally I know that he is a hard working individual, and he is doing the best in very difficult circumstances. He does intend to get back to the grindstone and make up for lost time, and that process has already begun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭shanered

Oh, that would be an explaination. I didn't know too much about his personal circumstances, was concerned by the figures.
    Hopefully he recovers any illness he has.
    Just a shame to not have somebody who can attend what he should be doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭GRMA

He should resign... as politicians from other parties have done recently because of health issues (Bairbre de Brún), its the right thing to do.

But he's a typical FF dynastic politician so what can you expect...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

GRMA wrote: »
    He should resign... as politicians from other parties have done recently because of health issues (Bairbre de Brún), its the right thing to do.

But he's a typical FF dynastic politician so what can you expect...

Should FG TD Nicky McFadden resign because she has motor neurone disease? Your blind hatred of FF is clouding your judgement. Politicians from every walk of life can be unfortunate enough to be struck down by illness, and most don't actually resign as you claim they do. Arguing that someone should be able to replace them for an interim period is one thing, but trying to paint Brian as some sort of evil devil is just silly. If Brian thought he would not make a recovery then he would have resigned and let someone else take up the task. However that is not the case at hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Pappa Charlie

Should FG TD Nicky McFadden resign because she has motor neurone disease? Your blind hatred of FF is clouding your judgement. Politicians from every walk of life can be unfortunate enough to be struck down by illness, and most don't actually resign as you claim they do. Arguing that someone should be able to replace them for an interim period is one thing, but trying to paint Brian as some sort of evil devil is just silly.

I've also met him and he's one of the most forward thinking politicians in the country and would have made a great president if he had been allowed to run for it. He's been sick and his previous record of attendance is there to be examined if the op cared to research the facts!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Anyone care to go beyond veiled references to illness with some information people could actually make an informed judgement on? His being in a wheelchair is hardly directly relevant to his current voting record, he's been in that since he was a teenager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Pappa Charlie

dahamsta wrote: »
    Anyone care to go beyond veiled references to illness with some information people could actually name an informed judgement on? His being in a wheelchair is hardly directly relevant to his current voting record, he's been in that since he was a teenager.

That was not his illness!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

That was not his illness!

Somebody made reference to it in a previous post. It would seem to have been edited or deleted.

Personally, I've never seen Crowley do anything more skilful than get elected. It seems to be his only talent.

• Advertisement

I never searched his previous record of attendance, just came across this one page of statistics and was concerned, which is quite reasonable.
    I just would like to have somebody in there doing the job required and attending the meetings in Brussels. That is my main concern.
    Brian being ill is unfortunate but still, it would be good to have somebody go in his place, just seems bad that if somebody is ill that nobody shows evem, if a doctor is sick and can't perform their job you have to get a replacment, I don't see why politicians can leave an unfilled role whereas in other professions their must be a replacement, I don't think anybody would suggest that people with disabilities or illnesses should not be politicians, and fair play to the one who have these that do as it must be harder for them.
    But its simple enough, if they are so ill that they cannot perform their job, it is inpractical for the position not to be filled even by a temporary replacement until the elected person can perform their duties.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Deadlocked

Sorry to raise threads from the grave however I feel this is a follow on matter.

Brian has not voted once according to

http://www.votewatch.eu/en/term8-voting-statistics.html#/#0/0/2014-07-01/2015-01-01//
    (Sort by participation in roll call votes)

I've read that he has bad health and while that is very unfortunate his job is too important
    not to be done.

IMO it seems like cannot be criticized due to political correctness gone mad!

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

Heard that this morning (and I think Ming got a mention as well). Given that the election was only 6/7 months ago, you'd assume that a person should have some idea if they'll be able to meet the expectations of the job. They could turn up for their first meeting at least.

Edit: Ming has stated his wife has been ill and he needed to look after his children (record of 16/17% vote). Crowley has been in hospital for some months apparently but has 0% votes. (According to the journal.ie )

• Registered Users Posts: 5,703 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Mr Flanagan did not return calls to The Irish Times over the weekend.

Speaking on Newstalk radio on Monday he said: “Since I got elected to the European Parliament, my wife hasn’t been that well. We have a newborn baby girl and it has restricted me in my ability to get out to either Strasbourg or Brussels.

“In the meantime, I have been doing my damnedest from Ireland to deal with all the issues via email and telephone etc. Ultimately for me, my family comes first. I think that’s the way society should be structured anyway.
    Whilst I appreciate Mr Flanagan's devotion to his wife and child, plenty of people are in a similar position and still are expected to show up for work. Surely on an MEP's wages he could afford to employ a nanny / housekeeper to assist with childcare.
    Without wishing to seem unduly cynical one gets the impression that there's more than a hint of the "hit me now with the child in my arms" about his response.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Whilst I appreciate Mr Flanagan's devotion to his wife and child, plenty of people are in a similar position and still are expected to show up for work. Surely on an MEP's wages he could afford to employ a nanny / housekeeper to assist with childcare.
    Without wishing to seem unduly cynical one gets the impression that there's more than a hint of the "hit me now with the child in my arms" about his response.

If his family comes first, he should just resign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

It would be an inconvenience for him but to show up for votes he could surely fly in and out in day to actually vote and have a child minder in for that period. Its only Brussels he'd be going too, its a short hop.
    The more Ming does this last year or so the less I like him

Its shameful to not have MEPs vote. Sure Brussels is only a quick flight away.

Mings 16% attendence is woeful.

But again whats the point in running if you can't make a single vote in Brian Crowely's position?

I hope the individuals involved are doing some commitee work which would at least show some contribution on their part.

Its sad to see what little say we have in europe wasted..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Jeez ye'd swear ming was on the doss the way yissr going on.. family first

don't be such begrudgers, the guy's wife is sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

Armelodie wrote: »

There are plenty of people out there with partners and family members sick who are expected to turn up to work and an mep should be the exact same considering the importance of their work.

Also Brussels is also a short flight away so it is not too hard to fly in for the day vote and fly home and have a child minder or get some sort of help for the house to mind the children.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Bored_lad wrote: »
    There are plenty of people out there with partners and family members sick who are expected to turn up to work and an mep should be the exact same considering the importance of their work.

Also Brussels is also a short flight away so it is not too hard to fly in for the day vote and fly home and have a child minder or get some sort of help for the house to mind the children.

To be fair, he lives in Castlerea which is 2 and a half hours away from Dublin airport. Presuming he can even get over and back in the one day.

• Advertisement

Bored_lad wrote: »

Yes indeed there are plenty of people with sick relatives who have to work.. wouldn't it be nice if they got compassionate leave?

2 wrongs don't make a right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

To be fair, he lives in Castlerea which is 2 and a half hours away from Dublin airport. Presuming he can even get over and back in the one day.

Knock airport

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭kenmccarthy

If wages were paid on a "per vote/attendance" basis these characters would definitely be entitled to medical cards / sure they'd be on the breadline.as previous poster pointed out.....the small voice we're supposed to have in Europe must be like a church mouse

If wages were paid on a "per vote/attendance" basis these characters would definitely be entitled to medical cards / sure they'd be on the breadline.as previous poster pointed out.....the small voice we're supposed to have in Europe must be like a church mouse

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

So would your boss be happy with you turning up to work 16% of the time if your wife was sick? You'd be lucky to get a couple of days compassionate leave.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

Yes indeed there are plenty of people with sick relatives who have to work.. wouldn't it be nice if they got compassionate leave?

2 wrongs don't make a right

Society couldn't function if everyone with sick relatives got loads of compassionate leave, and only turned up for 16% of their working hours. That's not how life works.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,703 ✭✭✭donegal_man

When our second child came along my ex was very ill both before and after the birth. While my employer at the time was quite understanding of our circumstances I still had to show up for work unless there was some emergency. This involved a two hour commute there and back which would be about average for a lot of people living in cities all over Europe who just get their wages and not a generous expenses package as well.
    We can't complain that Europe doesn't listen to us and then send someone to represent us who doesn't even show up!

katydid wrote: »
    Society couldn't function if everyone with sick relatives got loads of compassionate leave, and only turned up for 16% of their working hours. That's not how life works.

Listen, the sky wouldnt fall in. The same could be said about paternity leave. In ireland I get 3 days but in other countries its months off.

I dont go around begrudging them saying "oh I only get 3 days its not fair, they shouldnt get 6 months off also cos I have to suffer .. ". Thats 'dog in a manger' thinking.

• Advertisement

When our second child came along my ex was very ill both before and after the birth. While my employer at the time was quite understanding of our circumstances I still had to show up for work unless there was some emergency. This involved a two hour commute there and back which would be about average for a lot of people living in cities all over Europe who just get their wages and not a generous expenses package as well.
    We can't complain that Europe doesn't listen to us and then send someone to represent us who doesn't even show up!

Yes, so wouldnt it have been better if you got time off. Just because you had to suffer doesn't mean others must too!

the phrase 'misery loves company' comes to mind.

Advertisement