Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adult Braces Experience

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Or go to the bathroom so your over a sink and water.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭wonton

obviously meant mostly in circumstances where that wasn't an option.:rolleyes:

or even to check if you actually need to clean them or have something stuck on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭smallerthanyou

Well tomoro is take off day. Pretty excited but also nervous. Don't do too well with scraping or pressure on my teeth so might be bit stressful. Have some rescue remedy, considered zanex to relax a bit but decided it was prob a bit much in the end. Hopefully can tough it out. Also worried won't be absolutely delighted with the results. I swear one tooth is slightly off but maybe when they're off it'll be perfect. And he did say things can be adjusted with retainer if needed. So ya nervous and excited.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭mummymoo

on average, what does it usually cost for a consultation? and is there a pay monthly option or is it like every 6 months or so that u have to pay?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Mine was €200 and I have direct debit setup, paying off €266 a month over 15 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭mummymoo

Mine was €200 and I have direct debit setup, paying off €266 a month over 15 months.

€200 for a consultation?? geez!

I took me a fair while to get around to writing this as was very unsure how I felt about the final results.

The take off process was as tough on me as I expected it. Rescue remedy worse than useless. Very straight forward process though if you are good at things like that. A quick kind of click and they bracket comes off and then the nurse just sanded off the cement. Took about an hour.

Anyway the week before I'd gone in to him because I wasn't happy with the placement of one tooth (front top one). To me it looks forward from the rest. So he brought it in a bit but basically told me I was imagining it (which I may be). So when the nurse showed me the final result I was still seeing this and didn't like it. In hindsight it may have been a bit of a shock as my teeth just looked massive and not like they were mine if that made sense. I was pretty upset with the results for a few days.

Now I still think one is slightly forward but overall they're obviously much better. I suppose I expected veneer like perfection but that's not possible as my and most people's teeth aren't perfect in size and shape. To quantify it was approx 50% happy with smile at the start and about 90% now.

I'm adamant one is too much forward but as I only dealt with the nurse and not my ortho after they were off (which I thought was poor form, I called back in for retainer but there was no quick chat with ortho about what I thought of results, didn't see him at all after the clicked off the brackets). Have to go back in 8 wks for retainer check so will bring it up then. Also have appointment with my own dentist before that so will ask him what he thinks. It's a very minor move to do it so can be done with retainer if I'm not imagining it.

Retainer is a clear mould type thing. Throw it on at night, barely even notice it. That will be no problem to keep up.

It's great not having the braces on, just finished a curry! I'd recommend the whole process to anyone but would caution on expecting perfect results. The process (1 year and 1 month of it) is really straightforward and easy to fit into life.

So ya happy with the results but not absolutely over the moon delighted but maybe that's just. Everyone else reckons they look great!

mummymoo wrote: »
    €200 for a consultation?? geez!

Mine was €100. 50 consult and 50 x-ray.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭farmer_dave

Just realised something from this thread - the retainer is only used for a short period of time after the braces are removed and after a further period of time can be used intermittently. Correct? I have bruixim, so I already wear a retainer every night. The continued use will not be a problem for me.

Another thing, can I request the white coated wires which I seen one poster had (the person with the YouTube video of their progression)? I feel that they would be more subtle - esp for a mature person working in a face to face environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭dublingirl83

hi,

i am due to get braces fitted tomorrow, not looking forward to it at all, -wish i hadnt put it off as a child, total weepy chicken when it comes to the dentist. im getting ceramic on the top and metal on the bottom, both fitted tomorrow.

had to get one of my lower insisors extracted on friday, so have been walking around work all weekend like a gap tooth yokel :)

have taken the week off work to allow for pain, being unable to speak properly and watch xmas movies!! and have warned the girls in work, no slagging when im back :)

will it take long for the gap (from the extracted tooth) to fill, how long before back eating normal, worried am i going to miss out on the xmas dinner?
    probably a stupid question, but can you really not eat curries/ staining type foods? is it because they will stain the ceramic? or can u eat most foods, once clean them straight after?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭ennis81

Hi there, congrats with taking the plunge, I got mine on at 28 had them for 2 yrs they came off in May this year and I was delighted with results, like you are going to have I had ceramic on top and metal on bottom, I ate currys/drank tea etc and never had a problem with staining (and i smoke), however I do know a teenager whose teeth were completely stained after braces due to drinking coke all the time so try and avoid fizzy drinks, and do clean them properly after every time you eat.
    They are sore when they first go on, I didn't/couldn't eat properly for about a week, the pressure on my jaw was v sore but then its fine, you may experience the same kind of pain when they are tightened aswell. Also make sure you have plenty of wax as they will scrape the gums until your mouth gets used to them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭tatabubbly

Just took the plunge and asked for my first consultation with my local orthodondist who is suppose to be brilliant.. They don't have any appointments till Febuary!!! Is this normal??

Looking into other dental surgeries as well as I want to have my consultation soon now that I've bitten the bullet and decided to go for it!

Any advice when picking a dentist to do my braces??

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭dublingirl83

So got them on this morning, only took about half an hour, worst part was the little thing he puts in your mouth to keep mouth open!

Top teeth don't look that bad with the ceramic on, I hate the bottom metal ones, probably more so because of the big gap from the extraction, makes it all look worse.- know im just being vain about it:)

Orthodontist said the brackets I have won't discolour so can eat what I want! (Except fizzys) So much for stuffing my face with Chinese last night, as a last supper.

Speech doesn't seem too impaired, next task now is to try find something for dinner, that slides down easy!!
    Will be eating the dinner while checking the mirror, see how much food stuck in ther after lol

Back end of jan for first visit- roll on 2014.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Quick question guys, I just noticed this morning that one of the lower brackets towards the back is loose but I don't have an appointment at the orthodontist until next Monday. Is it worth ringing them or should I wait til then? This happened once previously, on the morning of a visit, and they didn't make that big a fuss about it so I'm inclined to leave it...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

c_man wrote: »
    Quick question guys, I just noticed this morning that one of the lower brackets towards the back is loose but I don't have an appointment at the orthodontist until next Monday. Is it worth ringing them or should I wait til then? This happened once previously, on the morning of a visit, and they didn't make that big a fuss about it so I'm inclined to leave it...

In the time it took to post this message, you could have rang your clinic to ask them. You are paying them thousands and they know your mouth. It is probably not significant but maybe your orthodontist has a different opinion on these things....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

After putting this off for almost 30 years (am in my 40's, had braces as a kid but the treatment didn't work) I finally went to an Orthodontist, whose name was given to me by my dentist. A very friendly chap, a very informative consult (€50) and he answered my many questions with great patience. I was quoted €3500 for clear top braces and metal bottom ones and about a two-year treatment time frame (and a bonded retainer to wear for life). I'm probably going to go and get this done, so if I do, I'll pop back here and post up my experiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Duberlin Chick

Yakuza, exact same here, to the detail although it appears I'm paying a couple of hundred more. Dammit! Lol getting the top ones on Tuesday and starting to get nervous. My top teeth are on show the whole time so gonna take some getting used to. Same, will keep you all posted. Bottom ones not going on for six months. Serious work to be done there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭auntyweeze

Went for an adjustment last week. dear god its still tender to eat. ive only been getting the bottoms one adjusted the last two times so its not so bad. got elastics from front to back on the bottom. i will have them on a year the next time i go back! the time has flown in .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Got mine adjusted 2 days ago and I can still barely eat...owies.

Thought I'd throw up some pictures to show my progress! Might encourage people who are thinking about getting braces to get them. So worth it! I've had mine on now for 1 year and 3 months. My Ortho said the top ones will be coming off soon enough once he's happy with my bite...woot! The chains to close the gaps have worked quite quickly. Bottoms ones will take longer though. Gaps are a lot bigger...

Annnnyway...

Some of these pictures are kinda mank but sure...

First day I got them
    After 3 months!
    4 months...before I got the lowers extracted..
    5 Months...you can see how deep my bite was!
    Also five months...that red thing is what was packed into me after a dry socket faaaaab!
    8 Months
    A Year..
    Also a Year
    Aaand also a year
    Today!
    Also today...gaps closed!
    Bite today...improved!

Phew!

I still have elastics but had them out when I took them last photos. Must get bonding on them two chipped upper incisors once I get the braces off...

Wow Lia_Lia. Your teeth look fab!!!! That really does take some of the apprehension away for me about Tuesday. My bite is exactly the same. Couldn't be deeper. Thanks for that post. The end is in sight for you

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Great post Lia.

Getting my bottom braces fitted today. Have got so used the top ones hoping the bottom won't take too long to get used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 ItsNotWetRain

So im getting my top train tracks fitted Thursday and so my 18 month experience of braces will begin. I had to have two baby canine teeth removed last week as the big ones had come down over the baby ones and two molars removed to make way for the canine. My bite is way off, I know they all have names for different types but don't know what mine is!

Anyway im also getting two TADS (2 small screws in the roof of my month to stop my two back teeth moving forward) This is freaking me out any one have experience with them them????

Anyway some pics of my crappy teeth to keep track of it all!

DSC_0907_zpsd60f4ba8.jpg

DSC_0905_zps02c93502.jpg

DSC_0904_zps7a10ee74.jpg

Hey guys! Got my clear braces on the top yesterday. Had to take a deep breath before I looked in the mirror they handed me. I was pleasantly surprised I have to say. It's the best you can hope for when my teeth need so much work. You cant see them when I talk, just when I smile so maybe ill just be extra angry for the next two years.;)

Bottoms ones going on maybe in about 3 months time tbc.... Serious overbite so it depends how the top are going. Still can't quite believe I will have them for two years but reading people's post the time seems to fly!!:D

No pain yesterday, gums little tender today and teeth feel pretty tight but that has to be putting pressure on the teeth that have to move so no complaints outta me. Felt like I was 5 years old again when I was having a bowl of Ready Brek for my breakfast! Ill live though! Ill get pics up when I figure it all out!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 fifififi

Hi,

I'm considering getting train tracks on both arches and seem to be looking at around €4000 with local orthodontist I was referred to by my dentist.

However, a large chain offers the same for around €3000 but they only have orthodontist available on the premises for appointments once a month and they said you would usually see him every 2 months.

I'm just wondering if any one has any experience of this and was it one of these 'impossible to be seen' things or does it work out fine?It sounds like a bit of a factory set up and want to make sure it's done right!!

Thanks!:pac:

fifififi wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm considering getting train tracks on both arches and seem to be looking at around €4000 with local orthodontist I was referred to by my dentist.

However, a large chain offers the same for around €3000 but they only have orthodontist available on the premises for appointments once a month and they said you would usually see him every 2 months.

I'm just wondering if any one has any experience of this and was it one of these 'impossible to be seen' things or does it work out fine?It sounds like a bit of a factory set up and want to make sure it's done right!!

Thanks!:pac:

Unfortunatly brackets and retainers tend not to break at a convenient time once every two months. Getting treatment with an orthodontist that is more available will give you better service and aftercare. Also less likely of having to switch operator half way through cause they have moved into another job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭flutegirl

Hey guys! Got my clear braces on the top yesterday. Had to take a deep breath before I looked in the mirror they handed me. I was pleasantly surprised I have to say. It's the best you can hope for when my teeth need so much work. You cant see them when I talk, just when I smile so maybe ill just be extra angry for the next two years.;)

Bottoms ones going on maybe in about 3 months time tbc.... Serious overbite so it depends how the top are going. Still can't quite believe I will have them for two years but reading people's post the time seems to fly!!:D

No pain yesterday, gums little tender today and teeth feel pretty tight but that has to be putting pressure on the teeth that have to move so no complaints outta me. Felt like I was 5 years old again when I was having a bowl of Ready Brek for my breakfast! Ill live though! Ill get pics up when I figure it all out!

Had mine on now for 5 months, not a bother and no one cares I have them. I smile even more now, the time will fly. Good luck.

flutegirl wrote: »
    Had mine on now for 5 months, not a bother and no one cares I have them. I smile even more now, the time will fly. Good luck.

It think a lot of adults feel more self conscious than society about adults with braces. Whenever I see an adult with braces I get a overwhelming sense of "fair play to ya"

• Registered Users Posts: 18 aine_b

Im currently saving up to get braces later in the year and right now Im researching different places and the whole braces procedure! (hence, why ive read this whole 14 page thread!) My question is regarding the fees. Say a place has quoted me E4,000 does that include everything?-tightenings, replacing possible snapped elastics, retainers etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭flutegirl

It think a lot of adults feel more self conscious than society about adults with braces. Whenever I see an adult with braces I get a overwhelming sense of "fair play to ya"

I don't see many adults wearing them but when I do I make a point of asking about them, and saying exactly that! I was VERY conscious of them for about a week, but got over it quick enough when I realised people have their own stuff going on to be looking and wondering about my braces!

• Advertisement

aine_b wrote: »
    Im currently saving up to get braces later in the year and right now Im researching different places and the whole braces procedure! (hence, why ive read this whole 14 page thread!) My question is regarding the fees. Say a place has quoted me E4,000 does that include everything?-tightenings, replacing possible snapped elastics, retainers etc.
    Ya it does. Mine are 4700 and also include follow up visits for 2 years after they come off.

Advertisement