Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Adult Braces Experience

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭jimmer123

Your going to have days when you hate them and wonder why you bothered.

I don't see the appeal of ceramics they don't look any better

Your going to be loving life when your treatments finished. Well thats what I keep telling myself :pac:

Just got elastics today and finally started to close the gaps on my top teeth LOVING IT

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭LottieP25

Just tried to eat dinner there - open mouthed slobbering :( I am now seriously wondering what I have got myself into here. Freaking out more than a bit.

Please dont take this the wrong way but you are over-reacting just a tad.

The thing with your lips will be gone in like a day or two.

You will eventually get brackets on your back teeth, the last molar and your wisdom teeth if they are there, they dont do it straight away, it takes about a month or two before they do this.

Looks wise its all vainity really , you will get used to them and you will forget they are even there at times.

You said you will only have them for 9-12 months, thats no time at all. I will have mine for nearly 2 years.

You will be grand, just try to stay calm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

How long will it be until I can eat a sandwich/toasted pitta for lunch? I assume that switching out pitta for microwaved tortilla bread is an option?

Is there a list or link to a list of meal ideas for people with braces?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭smallerthanyou

You should be reasonably ok now? I found the week after each tightening was tender but the rest of the time I ate normally? Only things I didn't eat was steaks, hard rolls and fruits and chewing gum. I'd say after a week or two getting used to new shape and feel of your mouth you'll be back eating regularly.

Really as everyone says it is totally worth it. And I paid a fair whack for mine and still best money I ever spent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭flutegirl

You should be reasonably ok now? I found the week after each tightening was tender but the rest of the time I ate normally? Only things I didn't eat was steaks, hard rolls and fruits and chewing gum. I'd say after a week or two getting used to new shape and feel of your mouth you'll be back eating regularly.

Really as everyone says it is totally worth it. And I paid a fair whack for mine and still best money I ever spent.

Totally agree :)

• Advertisement

Well, they are on a week tomorrow and like all the above I'm slowly getting used to them. Been eating solid foods for a coupole of days now. Only thing is that despite my increased and improved cleaning regime I can see that there is stains developing on the teeth which I can't get off. Luckily the breaces are masking most of these from view.

8 months and 3 weeks to go...

Mistake #1 - ate some suchi that had sesame seeds - been picking the gits out of my teeth for ages. Other than that I've had to start applying wax to some of the brackets - there are 4 with tabs on them which snag on my lip and the rear brackets have a different type of clamp on them too which needed wax.

Well, they are on a week tomorrow and like all the above I'm slowly getting used to them. Been eating solid foods for a coupole of days now. Only thing is that despite my increased and improved cleaning regime I can see that there is stains developing on the teeth which I can't get off. Luckily the breaces are masking most of these from view.

8 months and 3 weeks to go...

Stains already ?! Seriously that's pretty quick and something you'd need to discuss with your dentist.

If you're not cleaning them properly you can be left with white marks on your teeth when the braces come off.

It might be down to using the wrong kind of mouthwash or something , but seriously go talk to your orthodontist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 127 ✭✭dublingirl83

quick question-i have my braces on now since december (at the elastics stage now) and seeing great improvements already-
    at my last dentist appointment she recommended getting my top two wisdom teeth out as they are near virtually impossible to get at to clean- even she struggles to get at them, and is starting to see the start of a cavity in one.
    my two options are to get them extracted or get them filled- but she feels this might have to be repeated over the years due to poor access cleaning them.

do you think if i got them removed, it could cause my teeth to move again and affect all the good work the braces have done so far??? be like starting again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

quick question-i have my braces on now since december (at the elastics stage now) and seeing great improvements already-
    at my last dentist appointment she recommended getting my top two wisdom teeth out as they are near virtually impossible to get at to clean- even she struggles to get at them, and is starting to see the start of a cavity in one.
    my two options are to get them extracted or get them filled- but she feels this might have to be repeated over the years due to poor access cleaning them.

do you think if i got them removed, it could cause my teeth to move again and affect all the good work the braces have done so far??? be like starting again

No, get them out....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 127 ✭✭dublingirl83

No, get them out....

thanks for reply, went for consultation today about getting them out under GA, if haven't heard anything in a month or two will stop being a chicken and get them out under local :)

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭mummymoo

hey, i got my top braces on about 3/4 months ago and it was fine, yesterday i got my bottom ones on the very back teeth i have a mountain of cement to keep my teeth from biting down on the brace, it means my teeth dont bite together atal and i dont know how im supposed to eat lol ive been eating biscuits dipped in tea, soggy chips and soup, sounds wonderful :L anyone else experience this? how did u manage? and any meal ideas that im not going to choke on lol i will try and upload a pic maby

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭mummymoo

dont know if it will work posting from mobile

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭pillphil

I ate a lot of ice cream for the first week.:D
    You'll get used to it after a few days, you can chew with where the build up meets your lower tooth on each side. You'll have to do a lot more chewing though, I nearly choked a couple of times by swallowing a mouthful of half chewed food.:cool:
    I can't remember any specific foods I ate, just anything that looked like it needed a lot of chewing I avoided for a while.

I'm having trouble flossing between my teeth at the minute due to the braces. I've got a Colgate interdental flosser thing (looks like a TePe) but can't get it between the gaps - its a number 2, smallest in the pack.

What is the enxt step here?

Have you tried superfloss?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

I'm having trouble flossing between my teeth at the minute due to the braces. I've got a Colgate interdental flosser thing (looks like a TePe) but can't get it between the gaps - its a number 2, smallest in the pack.

Get the smallest size TePe, that'll fit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭flutegirl

pillphil wrote: »
    Have you tried superfloss?

I tried everything on the market for flossing, couldn't get to grips with any of it. In the end went back to my Satin floss tape and just threaded it under the brace to floss. Takes a bit of practice but you'll get quicker at it and it's just as handy. Used the tepe for around the bracket after flossing, then brushed.

Pink tepe brushes, can get them in boots or tesco.

Super floss.

Or if all else fails back it up with a water flosser, can get them in argos

• Registered Users Posts: 18 aine_b

Got my teeth impressions done today! All booked in for October 4th to get them put on!!! dentist said he will put lowers on first and then uppers a fortnight after!! he estimates 8-12 months :D but i wont set a date, il expect them to be off by next christmas though if no problems! il be getting ICE clear braces. anybody else have these?

• Advertisement

Pink TePe brushes are 0.4mm and I am already strugging with 0.2mm colgate brushes.

I was looking a an airflosser which seems to be less messy than a waterpik and has the bonus that you can use mouthwash with them. Does anyone on here know if one would be a worthwhile investment?

I might just end up waiting until first appt and see what they have to say about the hygiene.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭augusta24

Pink TePe brushes are 0.4mm and I am already strugging with 0.2mm colgate brushes.

I was looking a an airflosser which seems to be less messy than a waterpik and has the bonus that you can use mouthwash with them. Does anyone on here know if one would be a worthwhile investment?

I might just end up waiting until first appt and see what they have to say about the hygiene.

I was never able to use the brushes either so I use these https://www.google.ie/search?q=tooth+flosser&client=safari&hl=en-gb&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=0_BHUtj3C6K57AbAqICADQ&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAA&biw=320&bih=356&dpr=2#biv=i%7C7%3Bd%7CoKC_dbLfro8ChM%3A

My ortho is always saying that he can tell I'm very good with cleaning my teeth and braces. To be honest though at the start I really worried about cleaning but over the last year Ive definitely slacked back and he still thinks my teeth are really clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭augusta24

Hey all.. anyone Else' treatment taking longer than expected?

Mines actually shorter than expected... I guess everyone's different so it's probably hard for them to say how long exactly it will take

• Registered Users Posts: 39 bowsandarrows

Hey, this might be silly, but why do people get metal braces when there's a ceramic option for like €500 more? I mean, are ceramic ones not worth the extra money? Cause most people I see with braces have metal braces and they've obviously paid quite a lot, so would they not go a bit more? Or maybe they just don't care in the first place?

Hey, this might be silly, but why do people get metal braces when there's a ceramic option for like €500 more? I mean, are ceramic ones not worth the extra money? Cause most people I see with braces have metal braces and they've obviously paid quite a lot, so would they not go a bit more? Or maybe they just don't care in the first place?

Treatment can take a little longer with ceramic braces. If you have crowns it can increase the risk of damage to the tetth.

Ah I see, possible if you have a couple of fillings? Is it even worth getting braces if you've some nasty fillings?

Ah I see, possible if you have a couple of fillings? Is it even worth getting braces if you've some nasty fillings?

define nasty? like are the large fillings or broken down fillings?

Large fillings in my back teeth, some small ones in my front you can't see. Had a consultation for braces and the orthodontist said he didn't think there'd be any problems but I'd need x-rays and all that first.

Large fillings in my back teeth, some small ones in my front you can't see. Had a consultation for braces and the orthodontist said he didn't think there'd be any problems but I'd need x-rays and all that first.

Well if he said there isnt a problem and the x-rays confirm it then go ahead :)

• Advertisement

Metal braces: £380
    Ceramic braces: £2,700

:pac:

Where are you getting metal braces for £380???

NHS. Confused me too :D

LottieP25 wrote: »
    Treatment can take a little longer with ceramic braces. If you have crowns it can increase the risk of damage to the tetth.

Why are metal quicker than ceramic?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

I've them on nearly 14 months and my ortho had been saying possibly off by Christmas but was back today and he just wants it as close to perfect as possible so they'll be staying on until the new year :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

Hi all,

I'm getting my braces on next Tuesday. Ceramics top and bottom, so hopefully they'll be a bit less noticeable. Very excited/nervous now! I've been having a few doubts, but my smile has been bothering me for long enough that I think the investment will be worth it.

Thankfully I have Wednesday and Thursday off work, so I have some time to deal with any pain, not being able to chew, or whatever else might happen immediately afterwards. I'm going to stock up on soup, mashed potatoes and ice cream for next week just to be on the safe side :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Mooby

Thanks for this thread - I have wanted to get braces all my adult life but have always been concerned about being too old! Just gonna go for it. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭ENMcD

Just got my braces fitted today, only doing my tops as bottom is fine, there the clear 6 month! feels so weird and bit tender :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Mooby

6 months will fly by! Best of luck

How often did you get your appliances adjusted? I've had mine in since Sept and still not had them adjusted yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭ENMcD

The braces i have will be adjusted every month I think as i am booked in for November? what type do you have?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 aine_b

I had my upper and lower brackets put on along with lower wire 10 days ago and today had top wire put on. My dentist then scheduled me in for a tightening in 4 weeks.

Top braces went on about 2 hours ago! Delighted with how discreet they are. The bottom ones will go on in 4 weeks.

0163D5C1-45B1-4440-8490-A1C5E5070DE0-9052-0000097D88CE61F4_zps9e4cb7df.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

jokettle wrote: »
    Top braces went on about 2 hours ago! Delighted with how discreet they are. The bottom ones will go on in 4 weeks.

0163D5C1-45B1-4440-8490-A1C5E5070DE0-9052-0000097D88CE61F4_zps9e4cb7df.jpg

Wow, straight already, good work....:D

Wow, straight already, good work....:D

You can't see the bottom ones in that pic ;) There's some slight overlapping on the top, and the front right one sticks out quite a bit but that's only really noticeable from the side view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

A few years ago, when I was about 28, my dentist commented on my crooked teeth (upper arch has lots out of alignment, making it hard to keep clean) and suggested I look into having them straightened. The left and right side are asymmetric which I've always hated. They thought it might be doable as a 6month alignment, but told me to get a second opinion from an orthodontist (as the case was more severe than anything they'd worked on before).

The orthodontist said for an ideal result I needed 18months of full braces, wisdom teeth out, and jaw surgery to bring my lower arch forward. They said it would be easy to straighten the teeth, but with my current jaw-alignment it would leave me with a very obvious overbite if I didnt also adjust the jaw. For a less-invasive but non-ideal result they suggested using invisalign to straighten, but also angle, the upper teeth to avoid the massive gap between the arches that would result from applying regular braces.

The idea of having jaw surgery put me right off the orthodontists first recommendation (it seems pretty serious for me to do as an adult, when its not for something that affects my day to day wellbeing?), and after looking into invisalign (and quizzing the hygenist I use) I wasn't too keen on that approach (the hygenist seemed to think that I'd need to have quite a lot of tooth surface removal to allow for my teeth to be appropriately positioned).

It's always in the back of my mind that I could sort out a nicer smile, and make looking after my teeth easier, but neither option seems appealing. I'm curious if anyone's had similar recommendations, and how you got on if you went through with the treatment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Canonfan

Hi all,

I need recommendations for a good orthodontist in Dublin, please.

Many thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭applesock

Hi

im going for my first scale and polish next week. I dont know what to expect, anyone had this done? do they take the wires off when doing it? Worried as bottom need implants so current crowns loose, feel like they will fall out if wire removed they are already cracked :eek:

applesock wrote: »
    Hi

im going for my first scale and polish next week. I dont know what to expect, anyone had this done? do they take the wires off when doing it? Worried as bottom need implants so current crowns loose, feel like they will fall out if wire removed they are already cracked :eek:

They won't remove the wire, they will work around it and will take extra care with your bottom teeth

Bottom braces went on today. Ceramics on the front 6, mental on the rest. I'm planning on eating a huge early dinner before the inevitable discomfort/pain kicks in!

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭paulers06

Plenty of wax and medijel at the ready and you'll be fine. When I had braces I suffered the whole way through with mouth ulcers, particularly in the week after adjustments. Medijel is a god send, much better than bonjela

• Advertisement
Advertisement