Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Adult Braces Experience

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Well nearly two months in! Overall it's been good and a lot of worries I had before getting them have failed to materialise. People just don't care about them :pac: which is great imo.

Oh yeah, nobody told me that you'd lose weight with them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭smallerthanyou

Jwacqui wrote: »
    I have to wear mine 23hours a day for 3 months then every night for 6months then every other night forever pretty much.

I'm getting night time elastics next time too. It'll be something new anyway. I'm getting near the end. Figure I have two to three months left. This week I had big pressure pain on my back teeth which was really strange as was three weeks since tightening.

Still wavering on decision to have jaw surgery to fix bite. Last week I was all for getting it but this week I'm not. I'll be getting the braces off anyway and then would go back in the new year to get it fixed. We'll see I suppose.

Also where can I get these weight losing type braces? I was only offered the regular kind!:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭fjireland

Okay, i took the plunge ... never been happy with my teeth tbh.. spent last two years talking and thinking about.. been to four different orthos.. never went through with it after hearing so many different opinions....

decided to go for it this week.....
    told 18-24 months: really hope it is more the 18 months ... 2 years seems sooooooooo long... in my late twenties now, so dont really wanna be stuck with these for too long..

have had ceramic on top, normal fixed on bottom...

have to say not really experiencing any pain- is this a bad sign?
    i got the two fitted the one day... i see loadsa others had them fitted separately weeks apart... im glad to have the two started and going... just really eager to get things moving... next appointment not for 8 weeks, wondering will i see anything/ much happen between now and then... or do i have to wait for first tightening...

im also bit scared by the talk of elastics on here... i havent had any and there was no mention yet of them... are they standard or does it depend on case by case? do they just go on the back teeth

I have pretty big overjet on top...
    Minor-ish overlap of two teeth on top... rest straight
    lot of overcrowding on bottom

really im just scared of how long this will all take... like 2 years seems so far away... i want to get through this as fast as can, is 8 week gaps too long- should i ask for 5-6 week ones or will this have any bearing on my treatment time. i know every case different but im curious
    great reading other peoples stories...

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭RogieBear

Hey guys,

Just been reading the thread and am interested in getting braces.

Can anyone recommend (in a PM) an orthodontist in Dublin?

Thanks,
    RogieBear

fjireland wrote: »
    have to say not really experiencing any pain- is this a bad sign?

From reading this and from friends the pain thing seems really different between people. I had a friend who cried for days at a time with the pain, me who feels some discomfort, but not really pain and then the lucky ones who have no pain. I figure just be glad there's none!
    next appointment not for 8 weeks, wondering will i see anything/ much happen between now and then... or do i have to wait for first tightening...

I found all of the big movement happened in the first four months and everything since then has been minor movements and little tweaks, so more about getting them to stay where they need to be.
    really im just scared of how long this will all take... like 2 years seems so far away... i want to get through this as fast as can, is 8 week gaps too long- should i ask for 5-6 week ones or will this have any bearing on my treatment time. i know every case different but im curious
    great reading other peoples stories...

Two years is a long time, but so it fifty more living with teeth you're unhappy with. If it helps I found the first two months were really self-conscious, don't take photos of me, don't want to meet anyone, I was even planning changing my job around when my teeth would be finished as didn't want to go to an interview with braces. Now I couldn't care less. I don't love them but they're grand. I smile as always did in photos and did the big job interview with braces (and nailed it). I think it's a matter of getting used to them but that's easy to say and hard to do!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Has anyone here had the Invisible Incognito braces? Do they achieve the same results as other braces?

Also, do I have to be referred by a dentist to an orthodontist? I'm not a patient of a dentist near where I live and to be honest I may as well just cut out the middle man, I've been told since I was 12 that I need braces so I know I don't need to go to a dentist to be told I need braces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭auntyweeze

i have my braces on 6 months today :) cant believe how quickly its going. and in the last few weeks people are telling me they are really noticing the difference. Super Duper Happy Face

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭yoppo

Got the lower braces on today and a twisty elastic band to bring the top teeth closer together. Got braces when I was younger and two teeth removed so was left with gaps... didnt wear my retainer much either! :(

photowsx.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Paddyslippers

Hey C man.. I'm 27 male aswell.. I noticed some of your comments in this thread and I'm feeling the very same way at the minute. Almost chickened out of my appointment the other morning but I'm mad to get this done so I went! i'm getting my top brace on wednesday week & bottom 6 weeks later. I have to get one pulled on top next wed to make space before the top brace goes on.. so i'm really lookin forward to that!! :/ My ortho in sligo has estimated I'll have them for 12-14 months so I hope he's right about that! total cost €3900.

I have a couple of questions for you.. what type of brace is she - self ligating or bands?! how long is your treatment goin to last?

PS great forum.. nice work girls yer teeth are lookin smashin! :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

I'll be a regular poster in this thread very soon. Appointment booked for Friday, oh I'm 30 btw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

I'll be a regular poster in this thread very soon. Appointment booked for Friday, oh I'm 30 btw

I'll be here on the edge of my seat....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Therealme there is to be no mention of practice names on the forum. I have deleted your two posts mentioning that clinic.

Had another appointment and pretty much decided not to have the jaw realignment this anytime soon (option there for it in the future) so all about getting the braces off now. Was supposed to be a year from October but now looking like November. Annoying but no point rushing it all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Paddyslippers

Just got my inovation C brace on my top teeth this morning. I have them on a couple of hours now and can't get over how comfortable they are in comparision to old train tracks.. My ortho didn't use bands on my back molars to secure the arch wire - just bracets.

I had a premolar extracted last week to create a bit of space for movement so my arce wire ends where the tooth was extracted.

I went with ceramic on top and they're very white.. quite obvious up close but not so much from a distance! I thought i was goin to be extremely pissed off initally, but honestly it's such a relief to finally be getting things sorted!

Next appointment is in 8wks time.. seems a bit long.. but i'm sure he knows best!

I have a couple of questions for you.. what type of brace is she - self ligating or bands?! how long is your treatment goin to last?

No bands! I was told the whole thing would last "up to 18 months" so I'm going by that.

The relief is great, isn't it? So much happier than being constantly self concious of your teeth.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

So top braces going to be fitted next Thursday and the bottom to be be added in 6 months. He is not sure yet if I will need teeth pulled as there may be an overlap but he said he'd cross that bridge when the time arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 braceface22

Lia_lia wrote: »
    Had an adjustment today and he said on my next visit I'll be getting elastics. Eeek. Not looking forward to them. And he said I'll need them till the end of my treatment. Stupid bite!!

I just got elastics, they're not bad! 72c66.jpg
    I'm so excited, just 1 month left :D Oh and about the weight loss, it's true! The hardest things to eat with braces are crunchy high-calorie things!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I HATE the elastics. They are so giving me so much pain :( I seem to have the strongest ones too. Gonna have them for about a year too, unless my bite rapidly changes!

Hopefully it will be better tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭martomcg

Anyone had any experience with getting braces and doing combat sports like Muay Thai, MMA or boxing?

Is there a certain amount of time you cant participate? I know you can get special mouthguards for braces.

How getting punched in the mouth (even with a mouthguard) will affect things?

martomcg wrote: »
    Anyone had any experience with getting braces and doing combat sports like Muay Thai, MMA or boxing?

Is there a certain amount of time you cant participate? I know you can get special mouthguards for braces.

It might speed up your treatment;)

• Advertisement

I have only one week to go! 7 days to eating apples and fudge and not having everything stick in my teeth when I eat!

I have only one week to go! 7 days to eating apples and fudge and not having everything stick in my teeth when I eat!

Excellent, having the braces off will make it much easier to do the fillings...:D

Excellent, having the braces off will make it much easier to do the fillings...:D

flossing will be easier too!

martomcg wrote: »

I do Taekwondo and have used just a normal (slightly more expensive) mouthguard. Being boxed in the face a few times, always been grand. A few people in my club have had braces and are the same. The only thing is if you have elastic bands you'll have to take them out...and they shouldn't be taken out for a long period of time!

Also if your teeth are sensitive after a tightening there is no chance you stick wearing a mouthguard...I wouldn't anyway!

One week down and not too bad. I'm eating food I'd have never tried before! 60+ weeks to go :D

They're off! 3c191.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5 kaninhop

http://www.hiddenbraces.co.uk/findanorthodontist.aspx

just type in Dublin and the area 90miles around..

Got powerchains on all my brackets(?) yesterday. And the strongest wires. Pain pain pain! Hopefully will see the gaps closing tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭DSN

Hi, finally took the plunge & got the braces to fix very bad overbite (late 30s!) Got bottom ones yesterday & if all going well will get top ones in about 6 months. My teeth dont look bad from the front (2 front teeth look 'big' in comparison to rest of month & protrude as result of overbite) but from the side you can see top teeth come out a LOT compared to bottom teeth & dentists have repeatedly warned me over past few years if I dont do this I'll lose my top 2 front teeth & there will me no gum left to even get implants arh!
    Anyway got the braces on & so far they feel fine (bit 'tight' today & the gel is working great for the rubbing against tongue/cheek) BUT I also had to get this massive big plate in on top & its awful! It feels awful in my month, got a lisp (which isnt too bad - i'll get over that) BUT means none of my teeth meet so I cannot chew a dam thing! Litterally all I can eat is liquids/soup/yogurts. Will I have to start pureeing my food & shopping in the baby food section! I am going to call up the dentists now I should have asked all this yesterday but it wasnt til I went to eat later I nearly choked on my (soft bread!) sandwich. I mashed up my dinner last night but was having to spoon it into my mouth & swallow without chewing - yuk!
    I wouldnt mind but yesterday the dentist assistant just said - dont chomp into apples, or have a hard crusty roll but aside from that just make sure & chop your food before you eat it!
    What do you all think - is this normal?
    Update - back to ortho this morn. They pared the bite plate down a bit so it a little easier to eat & lisp not as bad. Ortho was 'funny' said in a months time you wont be able to eat without it find that v. hard to believe! this is gonna be a great diet anyway eating SUCH hard work haha. I just HOPE its worth it & my bite gets fixed!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭wonton

not sure if it was mentioned before but for anyone with braces and especially dudes that don't have handbags everywhere with them to carry around a mirror for cleaning braces after eating.

I found a very useful credit card sized mirror in the outdoor adventure store, tis brillient to always have a mirror with you , very hand to have.

4ii3Y.jpg?1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Or go to the bathroom so your over a sink and water.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭wonton

obviously meant mostly in circumstances where that wasn't an option.:rolleyes:

or even to check if you actually need to clean them or have something stuck on them.

Well tomoro is take off day. Pretty excited but also nervous. Don't do too well with scraping or pressure on my teeth so might be bit stressful. Have some rescue remedy, considered zanex to relax a bit but decided it was prob a bit much in the end. Hopefully can tough it out. Also worried won't be absolutely delighted with the results. I swear one tooth is slightly off but maybe when they're off it'll be perfect. And he did say things can be adjusted with retainer if needed. So ya nervous and excited.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭mummymoo

on average, what does it usually cost for a consultation? and is there a pay monthly option or is it like every 6 months or so that u have to pay?

Mine was €200 and I have direct debit setup, paying off €266 a month over 15 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭mummymoo

Mine was €200 and I have direct debit setup, paying off €266 a month over 15 months.

€200 for a consultation?? geez!

I took me a fair while to get around to writing this as was very unsure how I felt about the final results.

The take off process was as tough on me as I expected it. Rescue remedy worse than useless. Very straight forward process though if you are good at things like that. A quick kind of click and they bracket comes off and then the nurse just sanded off the cement. Took about an hour.

Anyway the week before I'd gone in to him because I wasn't happy with the placement of one tooth (front top one). To me it looks forward from the rest. So he brought it in a bit but basically told me I was imagining it (which I may be). So when the nurse showed me the final result I was still seeing this and didn't like it. In hindsight it may have been a bit of a shock as my teeth just looked massive and not like they were mine if that made sense. I was pretty upset with the results for a few days.

Now I still think one is slightly forward but overall they're obviously much better. I suppose I expected veneer like perfection but that's not possible as my and most people's teeth aren't perfect in size and shape. To quantify it was approx 50% happy with smile at the start and about 90% now.

I'm adamant one is too much forward but as I only dealt with the nurse and not my ortho after they were off (which I thought was poor form, I called back in for retainer but there was no quick chat with ortho about what I thought of results, didn't see him at all after the clicked off the brackets). Have to go back in 8 wks for retainer check so will bring it up then. Also have appointment with my own dentist before that so will ask him what he thinks. It's a very minor move to do it so can be done with retainer if I'm not imagining it.

Retainer is a clear mould type thing. Throw it on at night, barely even notice it. That will be no problem to keep up.

It's great not having the braces on, just finished a curry! I'd recommend the whole process to anyone but would caution on expecting perfect results. The process (1 year and 1 month of it) is really straightforward and easy to fit into life.

So ya happy with the results but not absolutely over the moon delighted but maybe that's just. Everyone else reckons they look great!

mummymoo wrote: »
    €200 for a consultation?? geez!

Mine was €100. 50 consult and 50 x-ray.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭farmer_dave

Just realised something from this thread - the retainer is only used for a short period of time after the braces are removed and after a further period of time can be used intermittently. Correct? I have bruixim, so I already wear a retainer every night. The continued use will not be a problem for me.

Another thing, can I request the white coated wires which I seen one poster had (the person with the YouTube video of their progression)? I feel that they would be more subtle - esp for a mature person working in a face to face environment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 127 ✭✭dublingirl83

hi,

i am due to get braces fitted tomorrow, not looking forward to it at all, -wish i hadnt put it off as a child, total weepy chicken when it comes to the dentist. im getting ceramic on the top and metal on the bottom, both fitted tomorrow.

had to get one of my lower insisors extracted on friday, so have been walking around work all weekend like a gap tooth yokel :)

have taken the week off work to allow for pain, being unable to speak properly and watch xmas movies!! and have warned the girls in work, no slagging when im back :)

will it take long for the gap (from the extracted tooth) to fill, how long before back eating normal, worried am i going to miss out on the xmas dinner?
    probably a stupid question, but can you really not eat curries/ staining type foods? is it because they will stain the ceramic? or can u eat most foods, once clean them straight after?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭ennis81

Hi there, congrats with taking the plunge, I got mine on at 28 had them for 2 yrs they came off in May this year and I was delighted with results, like you are going to have I had ceramic on top and metal on bottom, I ate currys/drank tea etc and never had a problem with staining (and i smoke), however I do know a teenager whose teeth were completely stained after braces due to drinking coke all the time so try and avoid fizzy drinks, and do clean them properly after every time you eat.
    They are sore when they first go on, I didn't/couldn't eat properly for about a week, the pressure on my jaw was v sore but then its fine, you may experience the same kind of pain when they are tightened aswell. Also make sure you have plenty of wax as they will scrape the gums until your mouth gets used to them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭tatabubbly

Just took the plunge and asked for my first consultation with my local orthodondist who is suppose to be brilliant.. They don't have any appointments till Febuary!!! Is this normal??

Looking into other dental surgeries as well as I want to have my consultation soon now that I've bitten the bullet and decided to go for it!

Any advice when picking a dentist to do my braces??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 127 ✭✭dublingirl83

So got them on this morning, only took about half an hour, worst part was the little thing he puts in your mouth to keep mouth open!

Top teeth don't look that bad with the ceramic on, I hate the bottom metal ones, probably more so because of the big gap from the extraction, makes it all look worse.- know im just being vain about it:)

Orthodontist said the brackets I have won't discolour so can eat what I want! (Except fizzys) So much for stuffing my face with Chinese last night, as a last supper.

Speech doesn't seem too impaired, next task now is to try find something for dinner, that slides down easy!!
    Will be eating the dinner while checking the mirror, see how much food stuck in ther after lol

Back end of jan for first visit- roll on 2014.

Quick question guys, I just noticed this morning that one of the lower brackets towards the back is loose but I don't have an appointment at the orthodontist until next Monday. Is it worth ringing them or should I wait til then? This happened once previously, on the morning of a visit, and they didn't make that big a fuss about it so I'm inclined to leave it...

c_man wrote: »
    Quick question guys, I just noticed this morning that one of the lower brackets towards the back is loose but I don't have an appointment at the orthodontist until next Monday. Is it worth ringing them or should I wait til then? This happened once previously, on the morning of a visit, and they didn't make that big a fuss about it so I'm inclined to leave it...

In the time it took to post this message, you could have rang your clinic to ask them. You are paying them thousands and they know your mouth. It is probably not significant but maybe your orthodontist has a different opinion on these things....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

After putting this off for almost 30 years (am in my 40's, had braces as a kid but the treatment didn't work) I finally went to an Orthodontist, whose name was given to me by my dentist. A very friendly chap, a very informative consult (€50) and he answered my many questions with great patience. I was quoted €3500 for clear top braces and metal bottom ones and about a two-year treatment time frame (and a bonded retainer to wear for life). I'm probably going to go and get this done, so if I do, I'll pop back here and post up my experiences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭Duberlin Chick

Yakuza, exact same here, to the detail although it appears I'm paying a couple of hundred more. Dammit! Lol getting the top ones on Tuesday and starting to get nervous. My top teeth are on show the whole time so gonna take some getting used to. Same, will keep you all posted. Bottom ones not going on for six months. Serious work to be done there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭auntyweeze

Went for an adjustment last week. dear god its still tender to eat. ive only been getting the bottoms one adjusted the last two times so its not so bad. got elastics from front to back on the bottom. i will have them on a year the next time i go back! the time has flown in .

Got mine adjusted 2 days ago and I can still barely eat...owies.

Thought I'd throw up some pictures to show my progress! Might encourage people who are thinking about getting braces to get them. So worth it! I've had mine on now for 1 year and 3 months. My Ortho said the top ones will be coming off soon enough once he's happy with my bite...woot! The chains to close the gaps have worked quite quickly. Bottoms ones will take longer though. Gaps are a lot bigger...

Annnnyway...

Some of these pictures are kinda mank but sure...

First day I got them
    After 3 months!
    4 months...before I got the lowers extracted..
    5 Months...you can see how deep my bite was!
    Also five months...that red thing is what was packed into me after a dry socket faaaaab!
    8 Months
    A Year..
    Also a Year
    Aaand also a year
    Today!
    Also today...gaps closed!
    Bite today...improved!

Phew!

I still have elastics but had them out when I took them last photos. Must get bonding on them two chipped upper incisors once I get the braces off...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭Duberlin Chick

Wow Lia_Lia. Your teeth look fab!!!! That really does take some of the apprehension away for me about Tuesday. My bite is exactly the same. Couldn't be deeper. Thanks for that post. The end is in sight for you

• Advertisement
Advertisement