Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Greyhound Waste Thread - MOD WARNING in Post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Ernest

I don't think it's a charge for people wanting them to take their bins back, I think they're making this a mandatory charge.

1.2.1 “Bin Recovery Charge” means a charge payable by the Customer on termination of the contract pursuant to Clause 16.1. The charge will reflect the actual expenditure in respect of recovery of all bins in the possession of the Customer but will not exceed €40.80, which reflects the average recovery cost being €30, and the actual Bin santisation cost of €10.80.

1.2.2 “Bin Replacement and Attempted Recovery Charge” means a charge payable by the Customer on termination of the Contract by either party if the Customer does not allow GRR to recover possession of the Bins (pursuant to the Customer’s agreement in Clauses 6, 7, and 15). This charge will reflect the fees chargeable in respect of replacing green, brown and black bins (as set out in Clause 4) as well as any actual expenditure in respect of attempted Bin recovery (any charge for attempted Bin recovery will not exceed €30). The maximum Bin Replacement and Attempted Recovery Charge possible is €105 (€75 in respect of replacement of all three bins (i.e. €25 each) and €30 in respect of attempted recovery).

So, it'll cost €40.80 to take the bins back, which you have to pay, and if you don't and they attempt to take them back unsuccessfully, or call when you are out and the bins are locked up, it'll cost you up to €105.
    Wringing every last bit of revenue from customers leaving them, but I would say that they are also destroying any chance of those customers going back after the City Bin full charges come in next year.
    City Bin must be loving this Greyhound incompetency.
    NCA should look at this very closely.

Seriously???!!!

Can Greyhound actually do that?

Legally, I mean????????

That is beyond a joke, now!

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭vikingdub

I am still with GH, I have a greenbin, which was provided years ago by DCC) and I buy tags for my black bags. At present I put out about 1 bag per month and the green bin for every collection. I have no contract with GH and in reality I provide them with profitable recyclable raw material free of charge.

It would not make sense for me to change to Citybin at present, however, if I were to do so in the future and ask GH to take back the greenbin, I wonder what would happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Does anybody have a copy of the origianl agreement that "Greyhound" forced on the customers when they took over the DCC contract.

I can't seem to find any. Since the transfer was effectively a fait appompli, and I don't recall actually signed anything, could it be argued that any terms agreed to were forced and as such may not carry much weight.

Edit - Sorry, I meant Greyhound not Greenstar!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Does anybody have a copy of the origianl agreement that Greenstar forced on the customers when they took over the DCC contract.

I can't seem to find any. Since the transfer was effectively a fait appompli, and I don't recall actually signed anything, could it be argued that any terms agreed to were forced and as such may not carry much weight.

You mean Greyhound? Depending on where you live of course, but this is a Greyhound thread.

Indeed you could argue that terms and conditions were forced upon you, but as long as reasonable efforts were made to inform the customers of the transition and updated terms and condition, or indeed new terms altogether; then the customers have 30 days to agree, or disagree to the changes and go elsewhere. Simply changing the terms and conditions on a website does not cut any cheese with me, but when GH took over from DCC, we were informed and so were responsible for looking at their T's & C's and deciding what to do.

Not everyone had an alternative option with regards a different provider, but nobody had to accept the terms of service. People can bring their own garbage to the dumps and recycling centres if they wish.

Slightly OT, but I was passing by the swords recycling centre recently and noticed a number of large electrical items dumped in a ditch on the side of a back road. My assumption was that travellers dit it, but that is just jumping to conclusions i'm sure. It boggles the mind, because it's free to recycle electrical items. Why dump them a few hundred metres from the recycling point? Stupidity, Ignorance, or downright laziness?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Just to reiterate, Read the Mod warning in Post 1 before posting. No excuses, bans will be handed out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

Has anyone found out if the recovery charge is mandatory? If the T&Cs only changed, can a full refund be had without having to pay the 40.80, since customers have 30 days to allow for changes to take effect. On the same hand though, if the old rules were no refund and no recovery charge, can they argue no refund? Plus they took the annual service charge and I think that can be refunded to a monthly prorated value. So get 11 of the 12 months back if you cancel in January.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

Just got a call from a Greyhound rep saying that my new annual charge was due €59 euros and €6 a lift. I leave a black bin out about once a month. I asked if that was his best offer and he told me about the €19 a month charge with no annual charge. Works out at 228, think I'll be giving City Bins a call tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

goz83 wrote: »
    They're certainly not earning any points with me. I am still waiting for my bins to be taken away. They said it could take "up to" 2 weeks, but that time has come and gone and i'm still waiting. Funny, because on their price plans, they allow "up to" a certain weight in the bin and then they fleece you. Part of me is hoping they get stolen. I won't be held responsible if they do!

My Oxigen bins go out tonight, so that will be up to 6 bins lining my wall and blocking my drive for the second time this month. I might put the 140L brown bin into the 240L black bin. It will fit...i think...and will give me a bit more space until the retards pick up their property.
    Not to upset you or anything, but I asked Greyhound to take my bins away a year ago. I was informed that there was an outstanding credit on my account of €7, and that would have to be paid before they would remove the bins. My subsequent emails regarding how they would like me to pay this €7 went unanswered and there are now six bins in my front garden.
    I don't think it's a charge for people wanting them to take their bins back, I think they're making this a mandatory charge.

1.2.1 “Bin Recovery Charge” means a charge payable by the Customer on termination of the contract pursuant to Clause 16.1. The charge will reflect the actual expenditure in respect of recovery of all bins in the possession of the Customer but will not exceed €40.80, which reflects the average recovery cost being €30, and the actual Bin santisation cost of €10.80.

1.2.2 “Bin Replacement and Attempted Recovery Charge” means a charge payable by the Customer on termination of the Contract by either party if the Customer does not allow GRR to recover possession of the Bins (pursuant to the Customer’s agreement in Clauses 6, 7, and 15). This charge will reflect the fees chargeable in respect of replacing green, brown and black bins (as set out in Clause 4) as well as any actual expenditure in respect of attempted Bin recovery (any charge for attempted Bin recovery will not exceed €30). The maximum Bin Replacement and Attempted Recovery Charge possible is €105 (€75 in respect of replacement of all three bins (i.e. €25 each) and €30 in respect of attempted recovery).

So, it'll cost €40.80 to take the bins back, which you have to pay, and if you don't and they attempt to take them back unsuccessfully, or call when you are out and the bins are locked up, it'll cost you up to €105.

Wringing every last bit of revenue from customers leaving them, but I would say that they are also destroying any chance of those customers going back after the City Bin full charges come in next year.

City Bin must be loving this Greyhound incompetency.

NCA should look at this very closely.

There are two things about that: 1) is the €40.50 per bin, or for all three bins and 2) are they out of their minds??

I'm hoping for some miscreants to come and take my greyhound bins, otherwise I'll have to wait for a family member who has asked if he can have them for storing animal feed in.

kylith wrote: »
    Not to upset you or anything, but I asked Greyhound to take my bins away a year ago. I was informed that there was an outstanding credit on my account of €7, and that would have to be paid before they would remove the bins. My subsequent emails regarding how they would like me to pay this €7 went unanswered and there are now six bins in my front garden.

There are two things about that: 1) is the €40.50 per bin, or for all three bins and 2) are they out of their minds??

I'm hoping for some miscreants to come and take my greyhound bins, otherwise I'll have to wait for a family member who has asked if he can have them for storing animal feed in.

I say if you have a use for the bins, then use them. Tell your friend he can have the bins outside my garden. I will PM my address if you like. They are not my property and not my responsibility, but they are causing me inconvenience and are a danger and a nuisance. If the bins are left there much longer, I will be dropping them off at their head office myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭griffinlee

can someone help me try to figure this bill out?
    My contract is due to expire at the end of this month. BUT no citybin yet in my area..

see screengrab of bin charges

Originally I was getting all bins lifted at 0 fee per lift, just a yearly figure
    Then it was 6 euros, then 7 euros per lift of black bin

Now three months later its over 10 euros and it seems it is on weight, although the previous month was then heavier and cheaper..

Its seems Im on this 19 euros + 4 euro per month account that they introduced..

someone please guide me!

• Advertisement

griffinlee wrote: »
    can someone help me try to figure this bill out?
    My contract is due to expire at the end of this month. BUT no citybin yet in my area..

see screengrab of bin charges

Originally I was getting all bins lifted at 0 fee per lift, just a yearly figure
    Then it was 6 euros, then 7 euros per lift of black bin

Now three months later its over 10 euros and it seems it is on weight, although the previous month was then heavier and cheaper..

Its seems Im on this 19 euros + 4 euro per month account that they introduced..

someone please guide me!

What is the "+4" amount for?

You are charged extra when you go over 20kg for brown bin and over 25kg for black bin. Look at the OP to see the figures and you can do your sums from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭lionela

Has anyone calculated a saving on these new price plans or, as I suspect, it's just a clever way of disguising more price increases from Greyhound?

As it happens..I have had issue with Greyhound Re. being overcharged for my pay by weight plan.
    Last year I was charged 55 kilo's for a bin lift that was only less than half full.

It was a late collection (4pm) rather than the usual 7 am lift because of a breakdown and on complaining about the 55Kilo weight I was told that mabye someone put something into my bin. Was not happy about that.
    Not much satisfaction there ...so 11th Dec I weighted my bin ( 12.5 kilo's empty)
    and the contents in a black sack weighted 10 kilo's total 23 kilo's.

I was charged for 33 Kilo's which means that the basic lift up to 25 kilo's plus 33 kilo's weighted 58 kilo's.

There is no way that my bin weighted that amount because I checked it and watched it until it was lifted and nobody put anything into my bin.

I got no soot from Greyhound when I complained and I do not trust them 1 iota. Not even a reply or answer to my query.

I have no idea if their weighting mechanism is calibrated regularly but the maths are with roughly 100,000 lifts every two weeks in So.Co Dublin who is regulating if householders are being overcharged. Imagine 100,000 lifts at 10 kilo's overbilled 26 weeks of the year @ .33cent per kilo.

That's almost a staggering €1,000,000 extra overkill

Makes you think ?? Find a way to weight your bin as I did...you may get a surprise

Now there is a new business idea....designing and marketing a household bin weighting device... it would not be rocket science. Any entrepeneurs out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Having discovered that Greyhound was in fact the cheapest waste provider for me, I stayed with them. What a mistake! They rang me early January to say that there was no money left on my account. When I asked how this could be (not having put a bin out for something like 8 weeks), they told me that they had applied the Annual Fee of E59.95. Well, as I didn't need to put any bins out I long-fingered it. Until today. (Bear in mind that I *still* haven't put any bins out.)

I got a letter saying that as they recognise that people are having difficulty paying a lump sum of E59.95 in January due to Xmas expenses, they have now put me on a payment plan of E29 per month, single-handedly, without ANY consultation or warning. When I put my bins out less than every 8 weeks!!!

I've been on hold, trying to get through to them for the last 10 minutes, listening to the Blue Danube, which is doing nothing for my mood. If this is how they treat paying customers, how on earth do they treat their staff? (I don't want to chew the ear off some poor worker who has nothing to do with this shambles.) The company obviously doesn't care about its reputation at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

Were you not told about the annual charge when you moved to Greyhound? I know that Panda were quite clear about any recurring charges when I signed up.

I'm at a loss to understand why you're annoyed at them for asking for the charge over two months instead of one.

Yes, but I had money on the card. My understanding was that the Annual Fee wiped out whatever was on the card, and so I didn't have enough for a bin lift. But as bins didn't need lifting, I was unconcerned. Nobody warned me that Greyhound could forcibly move me to a MUCH more expensive plan.

(Still listening to the Blue Danube)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Threads merged, and thread title changed

MarkMc

markpb wrote: »
    I'm at a loss to understand why you're annoyed at them for asking for the charge over two months instead of one.

Because instead of paying 59.95 per annum, plus 4 or 5 per bin lift (every 8 weeks approx), they put me on a plan to pay them E29 per month - each month! every month! E348 per year!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

Because instead of paying 59.95 per annum, plus 4 or 5 per bin lift (every 8 weeks approx), they put me on a plan to pay them E29 per month - each month! every month! E348 per year!

Ah, I misunderstood, sorry. That's crazy.

markpb wrote: »
    Were you not told about the annual charge when you moved to Greyhound? I know that Panda were quite clear about any recurring charges when I signed up.

Greyhound make nothing clear. I'm STILL WAITING for them to recover my bins. Sent email today to tell them I would be dropping them off at their offices in Clondalkin Ind Est, Crag Avenue in 2 days, if they weren't collected. They'll be lucky if the bins aren't on fire when I drop them off!!! Consider it balancing my account sir!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

Still waiting for Greyhound to collect my bins as well. They are blowing all over the place in the wind. I emailed Greyhound yesterday evening telling them if there damage to my car from their bins the invoice for repairs will be sent to them. Was also on hold to them for 20 mins this morning.

I have now emailed them 5 times and rang 3 times to get their bins removed. I don't owe them any money in fact there is €2 credit on my account. Where does the responsibility for the bins lie if I was to put them out on the footpath.

• Advertisement

I don't owe them any money in fact there is €2 credit on my account. Where does the responsibility for the bins lie if I was to put them out on the footpath.

Still €1 on my account.

Bins are property of GH and you are no longer a customer. Make of that what you will.

goz83 wrote: »
    Still €1 on my account.

Bins are property of GH and you are no longer a customer. Make of that what you will.

That's the way I'm feeling. I've given them fair warning. I'm no longer a customer but they are still aggravating me :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Kace

They must be absolutely inundated with emails at this stage - probably unable to sift through them all. I was talking to a guy who was having the same trouble as yourselves getting his bins collected. He sent registered letters, emails and made loads of phone calls, but to no avail for a number of weeks. He then started to email them daily to request collection of the bins.

They eventually came and removed them but it took a while.

In fairness, they have brought every bit of this on themselves. They seriously took their customers for granted. They won't be getting my business again, that's for sure.

As far as I can see, they have a ryanair attitude in which they abuse their paying customers, abide by the letter of the law (mostly- they really shouldn't have stored rubbish in barns!), but really see how far they can push people. Which seems to be pretty far. But they don't care about their reputation at all, because if they did, they'd have better customer relations. Has anyone here heard anyone being complimentary in any way about Greyhound?

The guy I spoke to on the phone works for a call-centre which subcontracts 'customer care' work from Greyhound, so you don't even get to talk to Greyhound staff. (Although given how they treat paying customers, I'd hate to see how they treat their staff!)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,319 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Are their bins made from recyclable plastic? Can you just smash them up into pieces and let City Bin take them in the green bins?

The guy I spoke to on the phone works for a call-centre which subcontracts 'customer care' work from Greyhound, so you don't even get to talk to Greyhound staff. (Although given how they treat paying customers, I'd hate to see how they treat their staff!)

Anytime I rang them either as a customer or to get the bins removed I've spoken to someone in the call centre who don't actually work for GH. have asked to speak to a supervisor or someone in charge and they are always in a meeting, I've asked to speak to someone from GH but they can't give me their details.

Such a sham of a company. Their bins will be put on the footpath when I get home, they're nothing to do with me any more.

Their bins will be put on the footpath when I get home, they're nothing to do with me any more.

Mine have been on the footpath since they asked me to leave them out. After their two week deadline, I decided not to pick them up if they blow over and not to chase teenagers who decide to use the bins as forms of transport. I can see the tops of the bins from where I sit. They're probably full of garbage, or maybe they're full, but it's not my responsibility. I wonder if there is a better way to get them to take the bins back?

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭CO19

They're trying to set up in Galway city it seems.
    They can't manage what they have in Dublin as it is but are trying to take City Bin customers in Galway to add to the mix !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Gancelled GH the start of Jan, took a week for an email reply acknowledging it and it looks like all the GH bins in my area were collected late last week.

A small truck was taking the GH bins from houses.

Just waiting on my refund of credit now.

Advertisement