Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greyhound Waste Thread - MOD WARNING in Post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭et101

Kace wrote: »
    Not sure I understand the logic quoted to you.
    I am currently in credit about €260 as I have paid for the following year - which will start on 1st Jan 2013. The more I think about it the more I think I should just cancel on Friday after my black bin lift, request a full refund and head over to CityBin (assuming they have some trucks left).

I have just signed up with the Bin Company which seems to have really good reviews both in Dublin and Galway, so will see how it goes. I now have to cancel my account with Greyhound which I hope does not turn out to be too much hassle. If anyone else has terminated an account with Greyhound, I'd appreciate any advice you can give me ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

I wonder could you weigh the bins yourself using one of those luggage weighing yokes with the hook? You put the hook around the handle and lift it by the thingy and a dial tells you the weight… Dunno if they'd be strong enough?

A friend shared a bin with his neighbour and weighed each rubbish bag on a luggage scales before he put it in their bin. She did the same and if there was a discrepancy in the billed amount they split the difference. It worked well but the key was weighing as you went and keeping a running total.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I just phoned and confirmed with GH that the impossible happened.:rolleyes: I had to phone as the email I was promised never came nor did they answer my email.

I've been moved onto a monthly plan for €19 pm for black and green bins with 4€ for a brown bin.

For 2 months they've been telling me of their optimised plans gauged to suit my needs.

I had originally been offered a pay per lift and a monthly plan with 2 black bins per lift for €29 despite only ever using 1.

It appears that proceeding to cancel works miracles :D

Anyway, roll on CB moving 2 roads down from where they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

There is some serious migration from GH. It has taken all this for them to begin to change, but it is, for me at least, too little, too late. They are now putting everyones bins back where they took them from. No more bins halfway down the road.

If one has to cancel their service for better value with the same provider, then one deserves something better from another provider if possible.

To whom it concerns,

I wish to give notice of our intention not to renew our service agreement with GRR. At the end of the agreement in January 2013, I hereby request that the service is cancelled and the GRR bins are removed by appointment. A text message or phone call will suffice to give notice to leave bins out for recovery.

Account & Other Details are:

Acc: *******

Acc Holders

My Address

My Email

08********

The above is all that is needed to cancel, but I wanted to give my reasons, which I did below.

I am not renewing the agreement for the following reasons (some of which have been amended since I started notifying other customers via online media) :

* The misleading ".33c" price per kilo in the October letter depicting the plans. Fact: .33 = one third of one (in this case, one third of one cent), which would be in line with the 2012 prices of GRR. 0.33c is the same. 33c and €0.33 are equal to 33 cent, which is how the letter should have listed the price per kilo lifts.

* Every customer was defaulted to Plan 1. This means that my lift history was not analysed (as stated on the final paragraph on page 1 of the October letter) to be placed on the plan, which would save us the most. Robert Moloney was unable to show any evidence to the contrary when he said, in an email to me that everyone was not defaulted to Plan 1. The cost of my collection would have gone from under €300 per year to over €1000 per year on the default plan 1.

* Different households are being charged different prices on the set price plans. For example; my monthly option is €29. My neighbour might be charged €19 monthly, or €15 monthly. This is apparantly based on lift history, but at best, our lift history and those of who I know, are random. This entire idea of different prices for different househoulds was rejected by Robert Moloney in an email he sent to me. Another lie from the top.

* Bins were often left some distance from where the customer presented them. They could be several houses down the road, on the other side. Sometimes the recovery of a bin was like a mini mission. I often had to search my neighbours garden, because the wrong bin was often taken into another garden by customers, who hadn't confirmed the bin outside their home was actually theirs. I would imagine this has meant that bin lift history is incorrect in many cases, due to bins getting mixed up. I noticed recently, that the collectors have improved greatly in this area, no dubt due to the fact that the competition have been careful to leave bins back to their presented location.

* I never received a call back from a supervisor, despite a number of promises being made. According to Mr Moloney, I did speak to a supervisor, but I am very sure that I did not speak to a supervisor, at least not in that capacity.

My customer experience with GRR (especially since October) has been extremly poor, with the exception of customer care reps being pleasant to deal with. Cost of service is not the reason I am switching, but it is a factor. We have taken out a service agreement with Oxigen at €60 per 3 months (€240pa) and added a brown bin at €12 per lift. We could have availed of the €99 Citibin offer, but opted for what we heard was a good company overall to deal with. I hope this cancellation email is not treated as just another cancellation and perhaps my feedback will be used constructively. I will never return to GRR, but I am confident that more change will come, even if it has been forced by massive migration to other providers, which will be accelerated in January/February when people see their GRR balances rapidly eroding due to excess charges.

Contact me to notify me when the GRR bins can be removed from my property, or if you require more information.

Regards,

acc holder names

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I got an offer from Greyhound as a new customer for unlimited bins for a year for €80. Being with CityBin so far who have been great. At first I thought this is a great offer so I've taken it.

However I've been reading all the complaints and <mod snip - potentially defamatory> I'm not as comfortable with Greyhound.

I can't fault City Bin who have a fantastic service. I believe that Greyhound are out to try and undercut CB with the intention that once they do so they will fleece customers as they seem to be doing in some parts of Dublin. So I'm still going to keep my city bin and use them from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭hitbit

Citybin do not collect Greyhounds old bins but do provide a form and envelope to instruct Greyhound to do so.
    Citybin collect Black bin one week followed by Green and Brown together the following week and so on. Their Green/Brown bin trucks have divided bodies to allow same. I have no problem with the red colour and imagine it is more cost effective to purchase one type and colour of bin and simply use different colour lids. Of benefit to me is the fact that the brown bin is 240 ltrs same as the Black and Brown and so a lot bigger than that provided by Greyhound. To date I have found they answer all phone/email questions promptly and clearly, their website is very informative, they delivered my new bins as promised, they have collected my bins on time ( despite some of their trucks being vandalized in am apparent attempt to disrupt their services ) and their crews have put my bins back exactly where they found them so no more fruitless calls to Greyhound and no more hiking trips to recover my bins.
    Their offer €99.00 per year Greyhounds €328.00 for same service.
    Conclusion so far Very happy Citybin customers. Think I would stick with them even if their charges were similar to Greyhounds as their customer services win hands down.

Hitbit

Perhaps many are like me. I never signed a contract with Greyhound. They were simply forced upon me by DCC so I expect a refund and will take the issue to my solicitor if same is refused.

Hitbit

hitbit wrote: »
    Perhaps many are like me. I never signed a contract with Greyhound. They were simply forced upon me by DCC so I expect a refund and will take the issue to my solicitor if same is refused.

Hitbit

As much as I dislike GH, they were not forced on all of us. They were just the default option when DCC sold us all out to a company that ripped off another public body to the tune of 1 Million Euro.

At the time of the change over, Oxigen was available, but my OH made a silly decision and paid the €100 standing charge, not understanding that we had a choice.

Even if GH were the only option, the argument is that nobody was forced to use them. By paying the €100 a contract was effectively signed for their services.

By getting greedy, they have lost a huge amount of customers. I would have stayed put if they were not charging 33 cent per kilo of waste. If it was the advertised .33c I would have been happy and they would still have a customer and many others too.

They never offered nor provided me with a contract. Oxigen were not an option in my area so Greyhound were forced upon me. DCC issued only one license for my area, to Greyhound.

Hitbit

• Advertisement

I understand what you are saying. The point I was making is that nobody has been forced to avail of GH services, even if GH were the only domestic waste provider in an area. The other option is to drive, barrow, or carry your waste to the nearest landfill yourself. Of course it's not very practical, but an option none the less. I know of someone who simply burned their garbage at the field to the side of their house for a few weeks after the take-over. Not very hygienic or environmentally friendly, but it got rid of most of the garbage he produced, even though it was illegal.

I'm just thankful that most, if not all of us have other options.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Kace

So have Greyhound actually collected anyone's old bins when changing to Citybin / Other ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

Kace wrote: »
    So have Greyhound actually collected anyone's old bins when changing to Citybin / Other ?
    Yes, Greyhound collected my bins when I phoned them and told them I was cancelling and switching to another provider.
    They told me I needed to cancel in writing, so I did that as soon as I got off the phone. My bins were gone the next morning. This was a about a month ago.

i've been waiting a week for GH to take my bins away. Emailed them yesterday to complain and they come back and say it can take up to 2 weeks for them to be taken away. What a disgrace! I have no room in the garden to store them without blocking access. They are outside along the wall, which is fine if it weren't for the risk of teenage yobs taking them for a test drive, which happened on Saturday. It was by chance I caught the little runts. I had 6 bins outside the garden on Thursday night and Friday until Oxigen collected the waste. Two of the bins were left blocking the drive, because they all wouldn't fit at the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭bob11

I got an offer from Greyhound as a new customer for unlimited bins for a year for €80. Being with CityBin so far who have been great. At first I thought this is a great offer so I've taken it.

However I've been reading all the complaints and noting the sneaky charging methods; After the arson attack on City Bin and the at war memo I'm not as comfortable with Greyhound.

I can't fault City Bin who have a fantastic service. I believe that Greyhound are out to try and undercut CB with the intention that once they do so they will fleece customers as they seem to be doing in some parts of Dublin. So I'm still going to keep my city bin and use them from time to time.

I noticed this 79 Euro all in offer was mentioned in one of the Sunday papers, and also in the IT :
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2013/0109/1224328602974.html
    " Greyhound is now targeting City Bin’s distinctive red bins in a drive to win back customers. It is attaching leaflets advertising its €79 one-year special flat rate offer to City Bin bins (most of whose owners have just switched from Greyhound) encouraging a switch back to Greyhound and a saving of €20."

so I rang up today to enquire ..

I am a current Greyhound customer , but I havn't paid the annual charge yet, so I asked if I was eligible for the 79 Euro offer. I was told that this offer was only for new customers and not existing customers.
    I tried to explain that I was leaving Greyhound if I didn't get the offer, but I was told No, So I asked to cancel. He told me that I need to put it in writing or email to customercaredcc@greyhound.ie. He also told me that when the annual charge of 59.95 was reversed, that I had 11 Euro left in my account that would be refunded.
    My next call is to CityBin ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

make the switch last week after waiting 10 days for greyhound to ack my cancellation email.

assured me i'd be getting a refund of the 1/2 year charge and the balance on my account too along with the bins to be collected in x days or something.

signed up to citybin 5 mins later; bins arrived the next working day.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,499 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Greyhound certainly seemed to have changed their stance somewhat from when City bin first entered. Initialy they were sticking to their no credit refunds policy and €45 cancellation charge, but have since agreed to refund the amounts and it would appear are coming up with new pricing strategies.

I think a lot of damage was done when the initial takeover happened fro DublinCo.Co as most people felt forced into paying charges up front etc. In addition, I think GH were of the mindset that they had a monopoly (which they had) and were not ready for competition so when it arrived they reacted as if they were still a monopoly (we have seen this type of behaviour countless times in many previous monopoly companies).

I think their change of direction is based on winning the next battle, when the citybin initial offer expires at the end of 2013. P1ssing off customers by holding onto their credit/not collecting the old bins is not going to help them get them back and I think they probably see that now.

They seem to have been rightly caught out and have taken quite a while to change their strategy.

They're certainly not earning any points with me. I am still waiting for my bins to be taken away. They said it could take "up to" 2 weeks, but that time has come and gone and i'm still waiting. Funny, because on their price plans, they allow "up to" a certain weight in the bin and then they fleece you. Part of me is hoping they get stolen. I won't be held responsible if they do!

My Oxigen bins go out tonight, so that will be up to 6 bins lining my wall and blocking my drive for the second time this month. I might put the 140L brown bin into the 240L black bin. It will fit...i think...and will give me a bit more space until the retards pick up their property.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

It took Greyhound 6 weeks to collect my bins.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

I sent my third email to greyhound yesterday asking them to remove my bins. I told them I will now be charging them storage at a rate of €2 a day per bin and the next communication they will receive from me is an invoice for the storage. None of me emails have been acknowledged that is such a bad way to run a business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,499 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Why not just leave the bins out on the road? The bin has a label adressing it to my address but whio actually owns the bin? If I do then I can do whatever I want and I'll bring them to the recycling centre. If they do then I will put them out on the road and let them worry about it. I won't be leaving them blocking up my driveway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Had to turn my Greyhound bins upside down outside my house because some f*ckers kept coming along dumping their rubbish in them. My first email to asking them to take them away was over 4 weeks ago now. They reply quickly, politely promising me they will be taken away soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭CO19

Just see on their website they've updated their terms and conditions and it says now they will be charging to take back bins from customers who have left them and want the bins taken back !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

CO19 wrote: »
    Just see on their website they've updated their terms and conditions and it says now they will be charging to take back bins from customers who have left them and want the bins taken back !

That's mad! Any idea how much they are charging?

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭fall

I had the same issue with Greyhound. It took 58 days before they collected their bins. I was eventually ringing at least once a week and they would give a time and promise that is when they would collect them. I eventually told the girl that if they were not collected that day that they would be deposited outside their offices. She said I could not do that but I said they were no longer my property. My bins were collected that day. They are so badly run and have no regard for their customers. City bin are a dream in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭St. Leibowitz

CO19 wrote: »
    That's mad! Any idea how much they are charging?

I don't think it's a charge for people wanting them to take their bins back, I think they're making this a mandatory charge.

1.2.1 “Bin Recovery Charge” means a charge payable by the Customer on termination of the contract pursuant to Clause 16.1. The charge will reflect the actual expenditure in respect of recovery of all bins in the possession of the Customer but will not exceed €40.80, which reflects the average recovery cost being €30, and the actual Bin santisation cost of €10.80.

1.2.2 “Bin Replacement and Attempted Recovery Charge” means a charge payable by the Customer on termination of the Contract by either party if the Customer does not allow GRR to recover possession of the Bins (pursuant to the Customer’s agreement in Clauses 6, 7, and 15). This charge will reflect the fees chargeable in respect of replacing green, brown and black bins (as set out in Clause 4) as well as any actual expenditure in respect of attempted Bin recovery (any charge for attempted Bin recovery will not exceed €30). The maximum Bin Replacement and Attempted Recovery Charge possible is €105 (€75 in respect of replacement of all three bins (i.e. €25 each) and €30 in respect of attempted recovery).

So, it'll cost €40.80 to take the bins back, which you have to pay, and if you don't and they attempt to take them back unsuccessfully, or call when you are out and the bins are locked up, it'll cost you up to €105.

Wringing every last bit of revenue from customers leaving them, but I would say that they are also destroying any chance of those customers going back after the City Bin full charges come in next year.

City Bin must be loving this Greyhound incompetency.

NCA should look at this very closely.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

So far we've saved €15.00 by taking our green bags to the DCC depot on North Strand rather than paying Greyhound for their exorbitantly charged €1.50 a bag recycling bags.

By changing their terms and conditions in this way, they are effectively allowing customers a chance to cancel their new service contracts, as they have to allow atleast 30 days for people to decide to accept the charges. I also don't think its legal to just update the website with these changes and expect them to stick.

One thing is for sure, I won't be paying any recovery fees. I didn't sign up to those terms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

After having cut my monthly fee by E10 to 19 they charged my account and extra 4 for the brown which I thought was based on my putting it out.
    Contacted them and they removed the 4 without issue.
    paying 19 for black and green per month and told my wife to stop filling the brown bin with leaves from the tree on the road :D

• Advertisement

Greyhound like all monopolies sat on their thrones laughing all the way to the bank, paying little heed to their customers, not being transparent, ( questions regarding their " winning" of the Dublin collection remain unanswered. Now they are having a major knee jerk reaction to those switching to CityBin, delaying the collection of their old bins, making it difficult to obtain refunds and offering select customers cheaper rates. It appears they have not learned from the arrival of CityBin and the reason so many of their customers are switching.
    My initial was wow switch for the price €99 v €348 a saving of €249 I'd be mad not to. But then I had a really good look at CityBin's offer and services.
    Prior to switching I had a good look at their excellent and informative website. I sent them 4 email queries all of which were answered promptly. I made 2 phone calls to their customer services and found them to be pleasant, knowledgeable and quite open and clear about their services and what I could expect from them. I discovered that their annual black bin weight allowance of 500 kg is exactly what it says. ie occasions where I exceed the average lift allowance of 19.5 kg will be offset against times when I don't hit the allowance. That is to say if I put out a bin which exceeds the allowance by say 10 kg total 29.5 kg one week and another which falls short of the allowance say 9.5 kg on another occasion the combined weight would not exceed the allowance and so no additional charges would be applied. CityBin will advise me when my total weight hits about 420 kg which will alert me to the danger that I might exceed the annual allowance. With Greyhound I would be charged for excess weigh on a lift by lift basis and so would not benefit from occasions when I put out underweight bins. CityBin will bill me by direct debit and so I will not be faced with my bins not being lifterd because my account does not have enough funds as per Greyhounds method.
    CityBin delivered my new bins as promised and to my surprise the brown bin was a 240 ltr rather than the 140 provided by Greyhound. In addition it did not have holes which I believe are responsible for a massive increase in the number of blue bottles around my area.
    CityBin collected my bins as promised, even after many of their vehicles were damaged in a blatant attempt to put them out of business, and their crews always put my bins back exactly where they find them. Also and this means a lot to me. Because of my switchover time I missed a Greyhound collection so I phoned CityBin to ask if they could collect a couple of black bags along with the bin.The readily and willingly agreed to advise their driver to do this for me explaining that him being advised is necessary as that ordinary they will not collect bags for fear they have simply been dumped beside my bin by others.
    So to the point CityBin customer services v Greyhound. CityBin win hands down. CityBin transparency v Greyhound. CityBin win hands down.
    Now I do have to say Greyhound never failed to collect my bins but often left them up the road, their staff were never rude nor impolite. But CityBin are simply way ahead of them. If CityBin and Greyhound offered the same service at the same price I would opt for CityBin so long as they maintain their excellent services. Greyhound are doing CityBin a huge huge favour by their knee jerk reaction to departing customers.

Hitbit
    Happy CityBin Customer:):):):):):):):):):)

Advertisement