Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Blanchardstown Centre - history of tenants

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Shifty wrote: »
    I think I remember Lifestyle Sports was unit 101 & Variety World was unit 102 (Green entrance), there was also a Bank of Ireland (ATM area) along there I think?

There was actually a Bank of Ireland in the Centre for a while, between Mannings and Euro2 (Poundshop at the time), it's now the Chinese medicine shop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

daymobrew wrote: »
    Thanks for submitting comments on the web site. My plan is to replace the comment form with a contact form to submit updates (should be minimal workflow difference for site visitors).

Dont forget the ESB shop

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭dukedalton

There was a Formula 1 shop near where M&S is today. I think it is now a mens suit shop. This was at the height of F1's popularity in the late 1990s. Still have the F1 car models I bought there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

There was an AIB sub office as well before the branch moved from the village.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

I think Top Shop was Principles once.
    Top Man was Principles
    dukedalton wrote: »
    There was a Formula 1 shop near where M&S is today. I think it is now a mens suit shop. This was at the height of F1's popularity in the late 1990s. Still have the F1 car models I bought there.

Ah I loved that shop, could never afford to buy anything but loved looking at all the models and t shirts. Actually, I did get a tshirt in there for my birthday! I think they're where Cassidy Travel is now?!

I remember the back half of the Perfume shop was the tattoo and piercing parlour, I got my belly button pierced there! Upstairs beside Easons if I remember correctly

I didn't know KFC took over from Pizza Hut, when did that happen? Last few times I had been there as a Pizza Hut I found it quite shabby and getting run down.

Top Man was Principles

Ah I loved that shop, could never afford to buy anything but loved looking at all the models and t shirts. Actually, I did get a tshirt in there for my birthday! I think they're where Cassidy Travel is now?!

I remember the back half of the Perfume shop was the tattoo and piercing parlour, I got my belly button pierced there! Upstairs beside Easons if I remember correctly

I didn't know KFC took over from Pizza Hut, when did that happen? Last few times I had been there as a Pizza Hut I found it quite shabby and getting run down.

Sometime last year when Argos closed down was when KFC took over that unit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Wow, there have been a lot more changes than I expected.
    Thanks for all the info and please keep it coming.

I will update the info on the site (and the layout) tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

dukedalton wrote: »
    Pretty sure there was a car accessories shop too (called Motorway) which then moved into a bigger location in Westend which was subsequently replaced by Halfords.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Top Man was Principles

Along where the new Boots is now used to be a big Miss Selfridge. Then they split it in two and half of it was Top Man. Then they both moved down to where they are now beside Top Shop.

Where Zara is now used to be The Sweater Shop and there was some sort of accessory shop there too. Dynasty? The Newbridge shop used to be Carphone Warehouse which then moved down to what used to be The SheepSkin Shop.

Ingolot, is it, downstairs beside Debenhams, was Club Denim, or The Jean Scene, which ever one isn't the one upstairs. The nail bar beside Debenhams downstairs was The Sony Shop for a while.

The mobile shop beside the toilets at the fountain used to be some sort of boutique shop, along the lines of Magic, can't remember the name now. Magic used to be down beside Vision Express.

Claires used to be Exit which then closed down and reopened down stairs a while later as Name It. I noticed the other day that Claires was all boarded up too?

What else.....

Oh, there's some sort of computer shop up beside BB's. Used to be Monsoon.

The Watch Shop, possibly, used to be Natures Way, a health food shop.

Where Lifestyle is now, beside the fountain, was the dry cleaners.

There used to be a shop called Sasha up near where Republic is now. Not sure exactly which unit.

Millets was beside where McCabes is now, where Boots was downstairs. Anyone remember what was in that unit originally? The Boots downstairs, I mean.

That's all I got.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭knealecat

There used to be 2 Gleeson butcher shops in the centre, one was near the camera shop area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Wait is Millets gone? I honestly hadn't noticed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

January wrote: »
    There was actually a Bank of Ireland in the Centre for a while, between Mannings and Euro2 (Poundshop at the time), it's now the Chinese medicine shop.

Yup, that's where I watched the twin towers coming down, on their screens. Surreal.

Those ATMs were always out of order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

Arciphel wrote: »
    Wait is Millets gone? I honestly hadn't noticed!

Millets went about 8 months ago. There is a 53 Degrees North sign covering the shop now.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Sometime last year when Argos closed down was when KFC took over that unit.

The Argos outside at the blue entrance became Nandos, Pizza Hut became KFC inside the blue entrance.

miamee wrote: »
    The Argos outside at the blue entrance became Nandos, Pizza Hut became KFC inside the blue entrance.

Yeah sorry, should have explained myself better, but KFC took over Pizza Huts unit around the same time that Argos closed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭jeffk

this thread keeps getting better .
    Reminding me of that motorway place an then the off licence in westend .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,537 ✭✭✭✭L1011

ongarboy wrote: »
    I remember there was a shop opposite (kind of near where Starbucks is now) called Motorway which did car accessories (it then moved out to Westend).

Pretty sure Motorway had both the small unit in the centre (which also sold F1 memorabilia) and the large one at the same time.

The unit is now Halfords, dunno if they bought them out or were just a like for like replacement.

Ingolot, is it, downstairs beside Debenhams, was Club Denim, or The Jean Scene, which ever one isn't the one upstairs.
    Don't forget Counter Propaganda was in there for a while too :)
    Oh, there's some sort of computer shop up beside BB's. Used to be Monsoon.
    Yeh thats Compu b now

MYOB wrote: »
    Pretty sure Motorway had both the small unit in the centre (which also sold F1 memorabilia) and the large one at the same time.

The unit is now Halfords, dunno if they bought them out or were just a like for like replacement.

Halfords is now over in the retail park where DFS and Currys/PC World are

Anybody remember the name of the computer store...it was located near where DID/Maplins is now...its on the tip of my tongue I just can't remember it...it was a UK company

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

fletch wrote: »
    Anybody remember the name of the computer store...it was located near where DID/Maplins is now...its on the tip of my tongue I just can't remember it...it was a UK company

I think you might be thinking of 3G Mobile. Was a mobile phone shop which also sold Apple computers.

I think you might be thinking of 3G Mobile. Was a mobile phone shop which also sold Apple computers.
    No I'm definitely not...I can picture the shop in my head...I remember the prices were very expensive too but the computers were really good. I remember drooling over a PC with 256MB RAM thinking who would EVER need that much RAM ha

Halfords is now over in the retail park where DFS and Currys/PC World are

I know. But that unit used to be Motorway.

What I'm saying is I believe that Motorway had a unit there *and* in the centre at the same time - the one in the centre selling smaller products and the F1 stuff.

I can confirm the shop fletch is thinking of existed, gimme a few minutes and I'll remember the name. Northern Irish I think. Closed around the same time Courts did I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Nolimits

Time computers. I got my first PC there.

Electric World: http://debates.oireachtas.ie/dail/2001/11/06/00016.asp

Think they're gone up there too.

edit: or more likely the answer above; forgot about them completely.

MYOB wrote: »
    Electric World: http://debates.oireachtas.ie/dail/2001/11/06/00016.asp

Think they're gone up there too.

edit: or more likely the answer above; forgot about them completely.
    In an August 1999 article they were listed as the new tenants when Phase II opened.
    It looks like the staff had a sit in 2 years later in the Santry store.

And "Eircom" was Telecom Eireann back then!!

What unit was Peats in downstairs? Where Diesel is (beside new McCabes)?
    Check out the not-to-scale map on the Peats website.

daymobrew wrote: »
    In an August 1999 article they were listed as the new tenants when Phase II opened.
    It looks like the staff had a sit in 2 years later in the Santry store.

And "Eircom" was Telecom Eireann back then!!

What unit was Peats in downstairs? Where Diesel is (beside new McCabes)?
    Check out the not-to-scale map on the Peats website.

Between Virgin and Millets IIRC?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

FOKO, years back over past KFC. Might be Next now?

I am pulling together the info that people have posted and will upload them.
    I was trying to change the way the site listed the shops and not getting very far so I am going to change the 'look'/theme to one that I know is more flexible.

I am also being distracted by my real job (paid web development and being a stay at home dad) so have less time on this than I would like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

Did that stabbing outside Buddha bar stifle business to the extent they went out of business?
    It seemed quite a nice money spinner. Good location too.
    Ok yes the crowd was possibly suspect, nothing good security couldnt handle
    Or did Blanch management say "ok Lads no more pub on our grounds"

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

The Buddha Bar was great when it opened first and did really well, it was the place to be (previously The Greyhound was the place to be!). Then West (subsequently Heaven, now Light) opened and became the place to be. They had a strict door policy at the start so all those who couldn't get into West went to tBB. I'm not sure if the clientele in Buddha Bar went downhill then or what once West relaxed the door policy but there were several incidents there, the worst obviously being the stabbing that you mentioned. Doormen were shot at in another incident. I have no idea what the deciding factor was in it closing but I'm sure the above contributed at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Wasn't the Buddha Bar sinking into the ground. Literally?

Wasn't Marathon sports where Champion sports is now (although smaller) , and champion where footlocker is?

Also what was the shop beside Harry Curry, think it was a computer type shop that became Dixons, which in turn became Currys?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

miamee wrote: »
    The Buddha Bar was great when it opened first and did really well, it was the place to be (previously The Greyhound was the place to be!). Then West (subsequently Heaven, now Light) opened and became the place to be. They had a strict door policy at the start so all those who couldn't get into West went to tBB. I'm not sure if the clientele in Buddha Bar went downhill then or what once West relaxed the door policy but there were several incidents there, the worst obviously being the stabbing that you mentioned. Doormen were shot at in another incident. I have no idea what the deciding factor was in it closing but I'm sure the above contributed at least.

The buddha bar was lovely when it opened but when the Blakestown Inn was closed and demolished some of the regulars there started drinking in the buddha bar and it went down hill fast.

Nolimits wrote: »
    Also what was the shop beside Harry Curry, think it was a computer type shop that became Dixons, which in turn became Currys?
    Pretty sure it started out as Dixons....if not I am starting to feel very old from reading this thread! :eek:

Pretty sure it started out as Dixons....if not I am starting to feel very old from reading this thread! :eek:
    Im certain there was something there before it. It may also have been called Harry something

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Nolimits wrote: »
    Im certain there was something there before it. It may also have been called Harry something

Harry Coreys is beside where Dixon's used to be in the main centre beside Dunnes. Maybe that's what you're thinking of?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Build-a-Bear factory was Kays Kitchen

Completely forgot Kays was over there then. It really was too small a unit for them and was always packed. I remember you'd have your tray of hot food but no where to sit as all the tables would be occupied.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Wils110

Yellow entrance shoe shop called Jordan shoes that's where you got your new rock boots that closed in 04 I believe

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Wils110

Oh and remember the Dunnes garden center also

Loads of useful updates on the Blanch Centre News page.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭The Waltzing Consumer

amdublin wrote: »
    There was a tattoo parlour in the towncentre :confused:

I don't remember that!

Pretty positive it is was tattoos along with piercing. It was run by same company that had tattoo shop on top floor St. Stephen's Green. And I am fairly sure it closed down because of parental concern or possible tattooing/piercing of under-18s, well thats the memory, used to work across the way when it was there so chatted to the people in there.

Oddbins was the wine off-licence in WestEnd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

There used to be a Paco ladies fashion near where Yankee Candle is now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Tasters Off Licence anyone remember that?

http://www.thebusinessshop.ie/classifieds/CPViewItem.asp?ID=1159

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

There was also Pete's electronics downstairs. Not sure if anything has gone back in it's place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

There was also Pete's electronics downstairs. Not sure if anything has gone back in it's place.
    Yeah it was sad to see Peat's go. Always found the staff there really knowledgeable and up for a haggle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

ciaran76 wrote: »

It was actually very good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

oblivious wrote: »
    It was actually very good

Sure was, helped me a lot discover new beers :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,898 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Shifty wrote: »
    I think I remember Lifestyle Sports was unit 101 & Variety World was unit 102 (Green entrance), there was also a Bank of Ireland (ATM area) along there I think?

Spot on with Lifestyle, I worked there for years. Weird seeing it as an offy now.

Is the Tom Stanley's still a few shops down?

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Spot on with Lifestyle, I worked there for years. Weird seeing it as an offy now.
    I have the 3 Lifestyle locations listed - http://www.blanchcentrehistory.com/1996/01/lifestyle-sports/

Obviously the opening date is not accurate.

• Advertisement
Advertisement