Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blanchardstown Centre - history of tenants

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

would you class westend retail park as part of the blanch centre? also atlantic/woodies, esb store/harvey norman,

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I know it's not officially a part of it but, for me, Westend Retail Park is part of the overall Blanch Centre Experience (Trademark).

What was there before the Oriental food place at the yellow entrance? Wait... that's possibly coming across as racist....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

Omackeral wrote: »

What was there before the Oriental Asian food place at the yellow entrance? Wait... that's possibly coming across as racist....

FYP :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

La Croissanterie was there before Ginseng came in I think.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Anyone remember when the red mall first opened? The excitement! I can't for the life of me remember where the original door was or where the shops used to end. I think there were one or two after Roches Stores (where I used to work) before the door but I could be wrong?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

miamee wrote: »
    Anyone remember when the red mall first opened? The excitement! I can't for the life of me remember where the original door was or where the shops used to end. I think there were one or two after Roches Stores (where I used to work) before the door but I could be wrong?
    Ended where the news agents is I think

• Registered Users Posts: 6,490 ✭✭✭daymobrew

triple-M wrote: »
    would you class westend retail park as part of the blanch centre? also atlantic/woodies, esb store/harvey norman,
    Woodies etc are in "Retail Park 2" with DFS, Currys etc in "Retail Park 1"

Westend is owned by different people but I bet most people consider it part of Blanchardstown Centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

JoePie wrote: »
    The 101 different shops where Grafton Barbers is now, and of course La Croissanterie. Damn fine food.

That's not a Grafton Barbers is it ? And La Croissanterie always reminded me of the smell of puke, both the Blanchardstown store and the Ilac.

I definitely don't remember an Anne Summers though.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

ThisRegard wrote: »
    That's not a Grafton Barbers is it ? And La Croissanterie always reminded me of the smell of puke, both the Blanchardstown store and the Ilac.

I definitely don't remember an Anne Summers though.

There is a Grafton Barbers in the Yellow mall alright. I don't remember an Ann Summers either, though there may have been talk of one opening. I'm not sure it ever did though. But considering the amount of shops above that I have forgotten, I could be totally wrong!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,274 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

There is a Grafton Barbers in the Yellow mall alright.

The barbers in the Yellow Mall is Dawson Barbers.

• Advertisement

Zaph wrote: »
    The barbers in the Yellow Mall is Dawson Barbers.

Ha, sorry about that...! I don't go to the barbers very often :o

http://www.blanchcentrehistory.com/

I uploaded posts for all of the current tenants, including those at WestEnd. Each post has placeholder text - I wasn't going to type out 186 wordy descriptions at this point - I automated a lot of the work (thank you perl and a CVS Importer plugin).
    The site needs to be customised to display the data (and I have not entered opened/closed dates for the units).

You can see the shops by location (yellow entrance, retail park 1, westend etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

3G Mobile used to be where the Banana Tree is now (Next to DID)

Eircom Store was there before 3G Mobile

• Registered Users Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

JoePie wrote: »
    I've been going to that shopping centre since day one and I definitely do not remember a record store or comic book shop. That's not to say that thet were never there.......

don't remember a comic shop (Although I miss Borders, it had a great graphic novel section.

As for the record shop? He's on about the film "High Fidelity" There was no record shop there. (Other than HMV and Virgin/Zavvi of course)

3G Mobile used to be where the Banana Tree is now (Next to DID)

Eircom Store was there before 3G Mobile
    Thanks for submitting comments on the web site. My plan is to replace the comment form with a contact form to submit updates (should be minimal workflow difference for site visitors).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Yes, I think it ended where Pandora/Imaginarium is now.

I think the Bon Espresso newsagents was in one of those outlets and had a cafe on the side. (it has since moved across the mall but without the cafe).

I remember there was a shop opposite (kind of near where Starbucks is now) called Motorway which did car accessories (it then moved out to Westend).

Finally, where the juice bar is next to Inglot, wasn't that another cafe which had a small seating area out in the centre of the mall? Wouldn't be able to recall the name though,.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

ongarboy wrote: »

Finally, where the juice bar is next to Inglot, wasn't that another cafe which had a small seating area out in the centre of the mall? Wouldn't be able to recall the name though,.

Leonidas..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 901 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover_53

Don't remember an Ann Summers but there was definitely a La Senza think it was where the Bagel Shop beside Debenhams is now.

I think Top Shop was Principles once.

Odeon Cinemas was UCI Cinemas...even if you google UCI Blanch it comes up as Odeon.
    Useless Trivia Fact: UCI was officially opened by Pierce Brosnan

KFC at the Blue Entrance was Pizza Hut.

The Perfume Shop was somewhere between Easons & Adams on the top floor.

The Buddah Bar was were The Banana Tree used to be, The Banana Tree is now beside Maplins.

New Look in Westend Retail was Borders. Also used to be a Laura Ashley & Classic Furniture in West End Retail.

DFS was Currys before Currys moved to PC World

Build-a-Bear factory was Kays Kitchen

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭iMADEtheBBC

Don't remember an Ann Summers but there was definitely a La Senza think it was where the Bagel Shop beside Debenhams is now.

The AS shop lasted a week, maybe two. Some god botherers decided Dublin 15 wasn't ready. Anyone remember the protests?

There was a Mailboxes Etc where Tierneys Gift Shop is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Shifty

I think I remember Lifestyle Sports was unit 101 & Variety World was unit 102 (Green entrance), there was also a Bank of Ireland (ATM area) along there I think?

• Advertisement

Shifty wrote: »
    I think I remember Lifestyle Sports was unit 101 & Variety World was unit 102 (Green entrance), there was also a Bank of Ireland (ATM area) along there I think?

There was actually a Bank of Ireland in the Centre for a while, between Mannings and Euro2 (Poundshop at the time), it's now the Chinese medicine shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

daymobrew wrote: »
    Thanks for submitting comments on the web site. My plan is to replace the comment form with a contact form to submit updates (should be minimal workflow difference for site visitors).

Dont forget the ESB shop

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭dukedalton

There was a Formula 1 shop near where M&S is today. I think it is now a mens suit shop. This was at the height of F1's popularity in the late 1990s. Still have the F1 car models I bought there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

There was an AIB sub office as well before the branch moved from the village.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

I think Top Shop was Principles once.
    Top Man was Principles
    dukedalton wrote: »
    There was a Formula 1 shop near where M&S is today. I think it is now a mens suit shop. This was at the height of F1's popularity in the late 1990s. Still have the F1 car models I bought there.

Ah I loved that shop, could never afford to buy anything but loved looking at all the models and t shirts. Actually, I did get a tshirt in there for my birthday! I think they're where Cassidy Travel is now?!

I remember the back half of the Perfume shop was the tattoo and piercing parlour, I got my belly button pierced there! Upstairs beside Easons if I remember correctly

I didn't know KFC took over from Pizza Hut, when did that happen? Last few times I had been there as a Pizza Hut I found it quite shabby and getting run down.

Top Man was Principles

Ah I loved that shop, could never afford to buy anything but loved looking at all the models and t shirts. Actually, I did get a tshirt in there for my birthday! I think they're where Cassidy Travel is now?!

I remember the back half of the Perfume shop was the tattoo and piercing parlour, I got my belly button pierced there! Upstairs beside Easons if I remember correctly

I didn't know KFC took over from Pizza Hut, when did that happen? Last few times I had been there as a Pizza Hut I found it quite shabby and getting run down.

Sometime last year when Argos closed down was when KFC took over that unit.

Wow, there have been a lot more changes than I expected.
    Thanks for all the info and please keep it coming.

I will update the info on the site (and the layout) tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,380 ✭✭✭fletch

dukedalton wrote: »
    Pretty sure there was a car accessories shop too (called Motorway) which then moved into a bigger location in Westend which was subsequently replaced by Halfords.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Top Man was Principles

Along where the new Boots is now used to be a big Miss Selfridge. Then they split it in two and half of it was Top Man. Then they both moved down to where they are now beside Top Shop.

Where Zara is now used to be The Sweater Shop and there was some sort of accessory shop there too. Dynasty? The Newbridge shop used to be Carphone Warehouse which then moved down to what used to be The SheepSkin Shop.

Ingolot, is it, downstairs beside Debenhams, was Club Denim, or The Jean Scene, which ever one isn't the one upstairs. The nail bar beside Debenhams downstairs was The Sony Shop for a while.

The mobile shop beside the toilets at the fountain used to be some sort of boutique shop, along the lines of Magic, can't remember the name now. Magic used to be down beside Vision Express.

Claires used to be Exit which then closed down and reopened down stairs a while later as Name It. I noticed the other day that Claires was all boarded up too?

What else.....

Oh, there's some sort of computer shop up beside BB's. Used to be Monsoon.

The Watch Shop, possibly, used to be Natures Way, a health food shop.

Where Lifestyle is now, beside the fountain, was the dry cleaners.

There used to be a shop called Sasha up near where Republic is now. Not sure exactly which unit.

Millets was beside where McCabes is now, where Boots was downstairs. Anyone remember what was in that unit originally? The Boots downstairs, I mean.

That's all I got.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭knealecat

There used to be 2 Gleeson butcher shops in the centre, one was near the camera shop area.

Advertisement