Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Blanchardstown Centre - history of tenants

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Wait is Millets gone? I honestly hadn't noticed!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

January wrote: »
    There was actually a Bank of Ireland in the Centre for a while, between Mannings and Euro2 (Poundshop at the time), it's now the Chinese medicine shop.

Yup, that's where I watched the twin towers coming down, on their screens. Surreal.

Those ATMs were always out of order.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

Arciphel wrote: »
    Wait is Millets gone? I honestly hadn't noticed!

Millets went about 8 months ago. There is a 53 Degrees North sign covering the shop now.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Sometime last year when Argos closed down was when KFC took over that unit.

The Argos outside at the blue entrance became Nandos, Pizza Hut became KFC inside the blue entrance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

miamee wrote: »
    The Argos outside at the blue entrance became Nandos, Pizza Hut became KFC inside the blue entrance.

Yeah sorry, should have explained myself better, but KFC took over Pizza Huts unit around the same time that Argos closed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,830 ✭✭✭jeffk

this thread keeps getting better .
    Reminding me of that motorway place an then the off licence in westend .

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

ongarboy wrote: »
    I remember there was a shop opposite (kind of near where Starbucks is now) called Motorway which did car accessories (it then moved out to Westend).

Pretty sure Motorway had both the small unit in the centre (which also sold F1 memorabilia) and the large one at the same time.

The unit is now Halfords, dunno if they bought them out or were just a like for like replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,380 ✭✭✭fletch

Ingolot, is it, downstairs beside Debenhams, was Club Denim, or The Jean Scene, which ever one isn't the one upstairs.
    Don't forget Counter Propaganda was in there for a while too :)
    Oh, there's some sort of computer shop up beside BB's. Used to be Monsoon.
    Yeh thats Compu b now

MYOB wrote: »
    Pretty sure Motorway had both the small unit in the centre (which also sold F1 memorabilia) and the large one at the same time.

The unit is now Halfords, dunno if they bought them out or were just a like for like replacement.

Halfords is now over in the retail park where DFS and Currys/PC World are

Anybody remember the name of the computer store...it was located near where DID/Maplins is now...its on the tip of my tongue I just can't remember it...it was a UK company

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

fletch wrote: »
    Anybody remember the name of the computer store...it was located near where DID/Maplins is now...its on the tip of my tongue I just can't remember it...it was a UK company

I think you might be thinking of 3G Mobile. Was a mobile phone shop which also sold Apple computers.

I think you might be thinking of 3G Mobile. Was a mobile phone shop which also sold Apple computers.
    No I'm definitely not...I can picture the shop in my head...I remember the prices were very expensive too but the computers were really good. I remember drooling over a PC with 256MB RAM thinking who would EVER need that much RAM ha

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Halfords is now over in the retail park where DFS and Currys/PC World are

I know. But that unit used to be Motorway.

What I'm saying is I believe that Motorway had a unit there *and* in the centre at the same time - the one in the centre selling smaller products and the F1 stuff.

I can confirm the shop fletch is thinking of existed, gimme a few minutes and I'll remember the name. Northern Irish I think. Closed around the same time Courts did I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Nolimits

Time computers. I got my first PC there.

Electric World: http://debates.oireachtas.ie/dail/2001/11/06/00016.asp

Think they're gone up there too.

edit: or more likely the answer above; forgot about them completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭daymobrew

MYOB wrote: »
    Electric World: http://debates.oireachtas.ie/dail/2001/11/06/00016.asp

Think they're gone up there too.

edit: or more likely the answer above; forgot about them completely.
    In an August 1999 article they were listed as the new tenants when Phase II opened.
    It looks like the staff had a sit in 2 years later in the Santry store.

And "Eircom" was Telecom Eireann back then!!

What unit was Peats in downstairs? Where Diesel is (beside new McCabes)?
    Check out the not-to-scale map on the Peats website.

daymobrew wrote: »
    In an August 1999 article they were listed as the new tenants when Phase II opened.
    It looks like the staff had a sit in 2 years later in the Santry store.

And "Eircom" was Telecom Eireann back then!!

What unit was Peats in downstairs? Where Diesel is (beside new McCabes)?
    Check out the not-to-scale map on the Peats website.

Between Virgin and Millets IIRC?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

FOKO, years back over past KFC. Might be Next now?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I am pulling together the info that people have posted and will upload them.
    I was trying to change the way the site listed the shops and not getting very far so I am going to change the 'look'/theme to one that I know is more flexible.

I am also being distracted by my real job (paid web development and being a stay at home dad) so have less time on this than I would like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

Did that stabbing outside Buddha bar stifle business to the extent they went out of business?
    It seemed quite a nice money spinner. Good location too.
    Ok yes the crowd was possibly suspect, nothing good security couldnt handle
    Or did Blanch management say "ok Lads no more pub on our grounds"

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

The Buddha Bar was great when it opened first and did really well, it was the place to be (previously The Greyhound was the place to be!). Then West (subsequently Heaven, now Light) opened and became the place to be. They had a strict door policy at the start so all those who couldn't get into West went to tBB. I'm not sure if the clientele in Buddha Bar went downhill then or what once West relaxed the door policy but there were several incidents there, the worst obviously being the stabbing that you mentioned. Doormen were shot at in another incident. I have no idea what the deciding factor was in it closing but I'm sure the above contributed at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Wasn't the Buddha Bar sinking into the ground. Literally?

Wasn't Marathon sports where Champion sports is now (although smaller) , and champion where footlocker is?

Also what was the shop beside Harry Curry, think it was a computer type shop that became Dixons, which in turn became Currys?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

miamee wrote: »
    The Buddha Bar was great when it opened first and did really well, it was the place to be (previously The Greyhound was the place to be!). Then West (subsequently Heaven, now Light) opened and became the place to be. They had a strict door policy at the start so all those who couldn't get into West went to tBB. I'm not sure if the clientele in Buddha Bar went downhill then or what once West relaxed the door policy but there were several incidents there, the worst obviously being the stabbing that you mentioned. Doormen were shot at in another incident. I have no idea what the deciding factor was in it closing but I'm sure the above contributed at least.

The buddha bar was lovely when it opened but when the Blakestown Inn was closed and demolished some of the regulars there started drinking in the buddha bar and it went down hill fast.

Nolimits wrote: »
    Also what was the shop beside Harry Curry, think it was a computer type shop that became Dixons, which in turn became Currys?
    Pretty sure it started out as Dixons....if not I am starting to feel very old from reading this thread! :eek:

Pretty sure it started out as Dixons....if not I am starting to feel very old from reading this thread! :eek:
    Im certain there was something there before it. It may also have been called Harry something

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Nolimits wrote: »
    Im certain there was something there before it. It may also have been called Harry something

Harry Coreys is beside where Dixon's used to be in the main centre beside Dunnes. Maybe that's what you're thinking of?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Build-a-Bear factory was Kays Kitchen

Completely forgot Kays was over there then. It really was too small a unit for them and was always packed. I remember you'd have your tray of hot food but no where to sit as all the tables would be occupied.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Wils110

Yellow entrance shoe shop called Jordan shoes that's where you got your new rock boots that closed in 04 I believe

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Wils110

Oh and remember the Dunnes garden center also

Advertisement