Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does the abortion debate reveal what some people really think about women?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

lazygal wrote: »
    I never said anti women choice hate themselves. If they don't want an abortion, no one should force them to. But neither should people, male or female, force any woman to be pregnant. That's as absurd as relying on a 2,000 year old book as a guide for modern obstetric law.

But they are anti-women which is anti-themselves. Do you not see how that's a touch absurd?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

matrim wrote: »
    I hate this argument.

The core of all abortions arguments is when do you think human life begins. After that point it's not just the life of the mother to consider. Yes, if medically necessary for the health of the mother there should be a choice, and personally I'd be in favour of any abortion up to about 12 - 16 weeks. But after whatever point people decide life begins there are 2 people to consider

Should a 7 months pregnant woman be allowed to say "I'm sick of being pregnant, cut the baby out of me" even thought there is no medical reason to do it? At 7 months the baby will likely live but being born so early will likely damage it's health.

The law is full of cases where one persons right to do something is withdrawn because doing that thing will damage other peoples health / well-being. This is just another an extention of that. The fact that it only effects women doesn't make it anti-woman it just means that physically women are the only one's that can give birth

I never said anything about the stage of development of the foetus. Once the foetus has not developed organs, it's central nervous system etc. give me one single arguement (non-religious please) why a woman shouldn't have the right to her own body? Forcing somebody to term is a disgusting thing to do in my opinion. And it really speaks volumes of you that your assumption is the standard case is a woman who says "I'm sick of being pregnant, cut the baby out of me"

How that is anything but anti-woman is beyond me. And I said it already, I don't care if the gender of the pro-life is male or female.

I also find it hugely ironic that these type of people are campaiging as pro-life when they have no concern for the mothers life at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

philologos wrote: »

But they are anti-women which is anti-themselves. Do you not see how that's a touch absurd?
    Do you not see how absurd it is to force women to remain pregnant and undergo labour and birth against their wishes? Or does your Christianity prevent you from having any empathy for women who want to avail of abortion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

lazygal wrote: »
    Do you not see how absurd it is to force women to remain pregnant and undergo labour and birth against their wishes? Or does your Christianity prevent you from having any empathy for women who want to avail of abortion?

I'm talking about what you've said. Its a simple syllogism.

1. Anyone who is not pro-choice (I.E is pro-life) is anti-women.
    2. Many women are pro-life.
    3. Ergo some women are anti-women (anti themselves).

That's a bit nutty.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

matrim wrote: »
    I hate this argument.

The core of all abortions arguments is when do you think human life begins. After that point it's not just the life of the mother to consider. Yes, if medically necessary for the health of the mother there should be a choice, and personally I'd be in favour of any abortion up to about 12 - 16 weeks. But after whatever point people decide life begins there are 2 people to consider

Should a 7 months pregnant woman be allowed to say "I'm sick of being pregnant, cut the baby out of me" even thought there is no medical reason to do it? At 7 months the baby will likely live but being born so early will likely damage it's health.

The law is full of cases where one persons right to do something is withdrawn because doing that thing will damage other peoples health / well-being. This is just another an extention of that. The fact that it only effects women doesn't make it anti-woman it just means that physically women are the only one's that can give birth

I doubt many women would go through 7 months of pregnancy only to change their mind, like was already said the vast majority of abortions are early term.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

seenitall wrote: »
    And I've regularly called people on their BS; and as that's what I've done in that post, it's no surprise you didn't take it so well. ;)

At last the self-appointed bulls*** constabulary arrive yippee :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

That's a bit nutty.
    No its not. Forced pregnancy and birth is. How many women with crisis pregnancies have you helped? Or are you too busy studying scripture to do anything practical? Your position is hopelessly tainted by your scripture infused way of life.

Mod

If you are incapable of debating this topic without resorting to personal snipes, do not post. Any further personal digs will result in mod action.

This is the only warning that will be given on this matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭seenitall

That's a bit nutty.

Newsflash: any woman is capable of being as misogynistic as any man. Nutty or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I won't be popular with this but I never encountered so much bull**** than at the antenatal classes. I'm not surprised if the hospital staff is sometimes patronizing. They only annoy me when they are patronizing to someone as reasonable as I am. :D Seriously I had no complaints giving birth. But that is completely separate issue to lovely people on pro life side who are sooo busy keeping in check others instead of dealing with their own problems.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

One of my friends gave birth last summer (her third child) and she was telling us about how much the midwife was brushing her off, not listening to what she had to say, not taking anything she said into account.

She had told them how her previous birth three years beforehand had gone - nothing seemed to be happening for ages, not much dilation going on and was told she'd be a good few hours waiting, but within half an hour of being told that she had given birth, things just went really fast for her.

So with the third labour, it seemed to be going the same, a lot of sitting around, nothing happening, and then she told the midwife that she felt like she needed to push. Midwife said "no, don't be silly, sure you were only 3cm dilated the last time I checked. I'll be back to check on you in a half hour, push the button if you need anything", my friend said "No, I need to push", again got the "No you don't" from the midwife, friend's husband said "Look, would you just check before you go, just in case?", midwife begrudgingly did so and discovered that my friend was fully dilated and thing were well underway.

How could the midwife know what my friend was feeling? The midwife knew that my friend's previous labour had gone the same way, but chose to ignore that information and to ignore what my friend was telling her. You couldn't even say that it was her first labour so she was just a bit nervous about every feeling, she knew that it was time to push and yet the midwife thought she knew better. It really made me angry, the fact that she was practically patted on the head and told that she didn't know what was going on with her own body, as if she was too stupid to understand what her body was telling her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Morag wrote: »
    All the floodgates and slippery slope shíte annoys me, we already have the same abortion rate per capita as other eu countries, 12 women a day travel to the UK for abortion.

Ok those figures are actually wrong or at least utterly unprovable. There was 4,600 Irish abortions in the UK, add another 2000 to be on the safe side and take into account some travel to other countries.

6600/4,487,000(irish pop)= 0.14709 % for Ireland

for the uk figure

195,296 (total abortions) -6,862 (foreign abortions) = 188434

188434/62,641,000(uk pop) = 0.3008%

So the UK rate is around double the Irish rate actually and as the UK rate is broadly in line with the rest of the EU

http://fullfact.org/factchecks/uk_abortion_rates_compared-28456

I fail to see how you came to the conclusion using the figures and sources you quoted (unless its too fit an agenda but we all know that would never happen ;) )

(nobody is ever thanks the person that actually checks the figures though :mad: )

In terms of the figure of 150,000 could you show me the source for that one too, looking at table 1 in the attached pdf, there's a total of 814,112 non national abortions since 1968, dividing by the current percentage of irish woman at 67% and we come out with a vastly higher number than 150,000 but as there's no breakdown of the country of origin its a bit useless.
    Similarly tables 12 A, B and C don't have any useful information for creating a historic figure. I'm actually curious where the 150,000 figure comes from?

Peregrinus wrote: »

And (more substantial point coming up) I don’t think it’s “innate”. It’s influenced by what’s happened in the UK, where legislation allows abortion up to 24 weeks where two doctors certify that continuing the pregnancy is more dangerous to the life or health the woman than terminating it, and this translates in practice into abortion for anyone who wants it within that time limit. The UK has a staggeringly high abortion rate, and if those abortions were really motivated by concerns for women’s health, that would point to the UK - the home of the NHS - having standards of maternal health that would disgrace a third-world country. It would be a major scandal, and a national disgrace.

But nobody’s bothered because they all know that, despite what the legislation suggests, abortion is available on demand, and relatively few abortions are in fact motivated by concerns about maternal health. What looks from the legislation like a medical-needs-based abortion regime is in fact an abortion-on-demand regime, and everyone knows this.

This is actually something that influences my thinking on this subject, as the 1967 act would actually be pretty restrictive if applied properly, I'd say if some one had claimed on here 2/3 years ago that sex selective abortions were being approved and Doctors were lying on their forms to allow it in the UK they would have been laughed out of it or accused of being a youth defense fantasist (A british newspaper did a sting on some Doctors showing exacly this) after that I have my doubts about how valid the ascertations that the later term abortions only occur in cases of fetal abnormality (refering to 18-24 weeks).

On the actual question, nobody is ever going to convince the OP that they aren;t Sexist if they aren;t "fully" pro-choice but its a bit of fallacy.
    To use a possible male equivalent, just because I consider that in most cases men should have to make mandatory child support payments doesn;t mean I'm a self hating man because I remove part of their financial independence (child support payments can have a massive affect on a mans life including a possible risk to life and health from depression and working more dangerous highly paying jobs, or even the simple well proven link between life expectancy and income class).

The abortion issue isn't about woman as such its about differening view points on rights/and or biology/philosphy (the question of life) and I genuinely think in modern Ireland most people would feel the same if it affected men as directly as it affects woman (and the issue what ever your view point on it definitly does affect men).

If it really was a question of wanting to dominate a womans reproductive rights we would be back in the bad old days of highly restricted access to contraception..

On a purely practical level medical professionals do tend to be bossy and a bit arrogant no matter your gender of problem IMO but as long as they do the job well it shouldn;t be a problem (and Ireland is still pretty decent for maternity care according to the stats)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

Morag wrote: »

I got the figures from here after a bit of poking around (the hot topic link below the video is actually gone)

http://www.ifpa.ie/Hot-Topics/Abortion/Statistics

I wasn't disagreeing with the 150,000 figure I was just unsure how they arrived at it from that report (but I now see it refers to a more limited time period than 1968 to present)

It doesn;t change the fact though that your statement that Ireland actually has an abortion rate similar to the UK/EU is massively incorrect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

That's a bit nutty.

It is possible for women to be somewhat self-loathing or to think that, due to decades of patriarchal society, that they somehow don't deserve certain rights. Not really that nutty. Quite common, I would say.

The abortion issue isn't about woman as such its about differening view points on rights/and or biology/philosphy (the question of life) and I genuinely think in modern Ireland most people would feel the same if it affected men as directly as it affects woman (and the issue what ever your view point on it definitly does affect men).

If it really was a question of wanting to dominate a womans reproductive rights we would be back in the bad old days of highly restricted access to contraception..

Well, I genuinely think that that is most certainly not the case. Furthermore, I genuinely think that were men the sex who had to carry pregnancies, there is no way in all smouldering, sulphurous hell that abortion would ever be illegal, anywhere. I base that opinion on what I have learned on the practices of the traditionally patriarchal societies (such as most of Europe in the past) and structures (such as the Catholic Church) throughout history.

As for not being back in the bad old days of restricted contraception, those values are still very much in the teaching of the church, which in its turn permeats the minds of many pro-life people (please note that I acknowledge many, not all). These two issues are definitely connected on a wider scale.

To my mind, freely available contraception was a step in the right direction for people's reproductive rights. The abortion rights are the next steps, however they are much slower to come about as the lack thereof does not (and cannot) affect the power structure directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

To my mind, freely available contraception was a step in the right direction for people's reproductive rights. The abortion rights are the next steps, however they are much slower to come about as the lack thereof does not (and cannot) affect the power structure directly.

We also need comprehensive fact and health based sex & sexuality education in all our schools.

Well, I genuinely think that that is most certainly not the case. Furthermore, I genuinely think that were men the sex who had to carry pregnancies, there is no way in all smouldering, sulphurous hell that abortion would ever be illegal, anywhere. I base that opinion on what I have learned on the practices of the traditionally patriarchal societies (such as most of Europe in the past) and structures (such as the Catholic Church) throughout history.

As for not being back in the bad old days of restricted contraception, those values are still very much in the teaching of the church, which in its turn permeats the minds of many pro-life people (please note that I acknowledge many, not all). These two issues are definitely connected on a wider scale.

Yeah its a bit unprovable I didn;t mean that as a statement of fact at all. I would say though that the gender related argument makes some vast assumptions that abortion is "good" for woman and "bad" for men.

Interesting that you mention patriarchal society, as the Roman Empire the society that actually gave us the word Patriarch (and there's no denying it was highly male oriented!) actually didn;t have a big issue with abortion and practiced it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

That's a bit nutty.

It is possible for women to be somewhat self-loathing or to think that, due to decades of patriarchal society, that they somehow don't deserve certain rights. Not really that nutty. Quite common, I would say.

When I read Phil's post all I could think of was Una Bean nic Mathuna, who was opposed to divorce "women voting for divorce is like turkeys voting for Christmas", contraception, fornication, women working outside the home “the primary function of women is childbearing”.

Yes, there are women who are anti women. Una is a prime example. It's not even just abortion. She is opposed to her own women's rights, which is fair enough because she doesn't have to take them up, but she opposed them for every other woman too, and called other women who wanted these rights fornicators, dirty sluts, wife swapping sodomites, tarts, filthy bastards who should never get married and other choice names. Definitely anti-women.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

Was about to reply more fully than this but I agree basically with what seenitall replied to.

I'd just like to add that, while we (and only recently I might add) have made the right step in allowing access to contraception, women still do not have full reproductive rights even ignoring the abortion debate. You will be hard pushed to find a doctor who will perform a hysterectomy unless your of a certain age and have already had children.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Yes - the abortion debate does reveal what some people really think about women.

Plenty of women are just as misogynistic as men. I quite honestly fail to grasp what it is about abortion that one side wants to impose its morality on everyone. As far as Im concerned, if you dont agree with abortion, dont have one.

If a pro life stance was actually about the value of human life there would be more lives to be saved if they took an interest in the suicide statistics, the homeless, people suffering from drug addictions, campaigning against smoking etc..... But no, they want to be in the wombs of distressed women who want to abort a clump of cells that is no more 'alive' in its own right than my thumbnail could be considered to be 'alive'. Where are they after the baby is born? Interfering in someone elses womb.

The sheer hypocrisy of it all astounds me as well. We have ~5000 women a year having abortions. The real figure could be higher. But as long as it happens somewhere else its ok. Its really a disgusting attitude towards women (whether you are male or female).

Was about to reply more fully than this but I agree basically with what seenitall replied to.

I'd just like to add that, while we (and only recently I might add) have made the right step in allowing access to contraception, women still do not have full reproductive rights even ignoring the abortion debate. You will be hard pushed to find a doctor who will perform a hysterectomy unless your of a certain age and have already had children.

Yes but I'm fairly sure as younger man without children you'd have a similarly difficult time getting a vasectomy and thats a much easier reversed procedure, so again I wouldn;t consider it as a gender issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,270 ✭✭✭✭fits

The 'bad old days' are not so long ago and we are still moving out of them. My own views on abortion have changed an awful lot in the last ten years. I would imagine it is the same for many people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

You will be hard pushed to find a doctor who will perform a hysterectomy unless your of a certain age and have already had children.

Replace the word hysterectomy with tubal litigation and the above sentence is also true. Although in fairness a man cannot get an elective vasectomy in Ireland under a certain age and childless also. I would argue in both cases that it is more to do with the medical profession having had experience of people changing their mind after such a thing rather than it being about the control of female fertility.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Wibbs wrote: »
    Oh very much so, on the other hand it's one of the safest countries in the world to give birth in

That is, unfortunately, a myth. It's a statement that has been put about a lot but that's because we have been using underestimates of our level maternal mortality due to our outdated system of recording them. We have about twice the maternal death rate as previously thought. It's not as if Ireland is a ragingly dangerous place to give birth, it clearly isn't, but our maternal mortality rate is about the same as Britain's, which has on the whole a much better maternity service and liberal availability of abortion. http://www.independent.ie/national-news/rate-of-maternal-deaths-here-is-double-official-figure-3305353.html

And in terms of perinatal mortality an ESRI report from 2010 places us 15th out of 22 European countries in terms of perinatal mortality. Which is not very good at all.

Yeah its a bit unprovable I didn;t mean that as a statement of fact at all. I would say though that the gender related argument makes some vast assumptions that abortion is "good" for woman and "bad" for men.

Insofar as the argument against abortion is in the majority of cases influenced by the prescribed religious teaching (and we know which religion, and which gender is 'boss' therein), I couldn't honestly agree that those 'vast assumptions' are based on thin air.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

The abortion rights are the next steps, however they are much slower to come about as the lack thereof does not (and cannot) affect the power structure directly.

Not sure I follow you. If the lack of abortion rights does not affect the power structure directly why would they be slow to to come about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

It's interesting to hear that Enda Kenny has been branded "worse than Herod" for his move on legislating for abortion in limited instances. Seriously, this abortion debacle is really bringing the backward people out of the woodwork in droves.

For the record, I sent Enda Kenny an email congratulating him on the move.

Insofar as the argument against abortion is in the majority of cases influenced by the prescribed religious teaching (and we know which religion, and which gender is 'boss' therein), I couldn't honestly agree that those 'vast assumptions' are based on thin air.

My point is that in societies that were patriarchal, abortion, can still be interest of men, its naive to think that abortion is always a female led decision or are those Chinese and Indian woman carrying out all those female sex selective abortions on their own free will.

What is interesting about Europe was that there was a strong reaction against abortion even if it was in the interests of men.

• Advertisement

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Not sure I follow you. If the lack of abortion rights does not affect the power structure directly why would they be slow to to come about?

Because there is not enough incentive to bring those changes about. And too much disincentive in the form of loss of votes of older people - you know, the ones who vote in greater numbers than younger generations, and believe in a three-ways personality-split deity.

Advertisement