Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eckhart Tolle - any fans?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭daisybelle2008

thefloss wrote: »
    I think I know what you mean, they are some good points. It's hard to even put into words what is confusing about the concept. No 'wanting' makes sense though. I figure that two people happy in themselves and who also like each other is probably the way things should be... I mean I look at my parents happily married for nearly 30 years and they just seem relaxed with each other. That's something good to aspire to I think, they are my role models in that sense.

I think my relationship didn't work out because I may have 'wanted' to feel more loved by the other person. I felt I was putting in all the effort and being taken for granted which took it's toll in the end. These things happen I suppose, live and learn.

Yes in the Spiritual sense, you feel or 'realise' that love in yourself and it is in such abundance that you don't 'need' it from someone else to feel complete. It is reflected back at you when you are with someone. So truly being at peace, joyful and content in yourself right now is the way to guarantee that. Isn't it the most freeing idea that we can do that and don't need anyone else but that it can be enjoyed and mirrored back with people you love without a condition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Northclare

There is nothing more painful than the withdrawal from a rock bottom relationship.
    But on the other hand, if you get through that experience and learn something from it, it could be one of the best relationships you ever had.

I learned the hard way, and after my rockbottom relationship which ended nearly two year's ago, I developed a new outlook on relationships.

I will never get 100 percent attached to another human being ever again.
    I'm very happily single and still love the opposite sex but detaching with love takes a lot of the pain away.

I never need to have control or dominion over other people, places, or things because attachment leads a person to the dark side of their soul.

Years ago I detested people who had that outlook but a person should never sell themselves short.

Oh yeah I'm not perfect either :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭roosh

Northclare wrote: »
    There is nothing more painful than the withdrawal from a rock bottom relationship.
    But on the other hand, if you get through that experience and learn something from it, it could be one of the best relationships you ever had.

I learned the hard way, and after my rockbottom relationship which ended nearly two year's ago, I developed a new outlook on relationships.

I will never get 100 percent attached to another human being ever again.
    I'm very happily single and still love the opposite sex but detaching with love takes a lot of the pain away.

I never need to have control or dominion over other people, places, or things because attachment leads a person to the dark side of their soul.

Years ago I detested people who had that outlook but a person should never sell themselves short.

Oh yeah I'm not perfect either :)

you are perfect NC, you probably just don't realise it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4 OUT THE GAP

anamcarame wrote: »
    I cannot fault TPON. Truly a live changing and awakening book. New Earth was a great follow on for me. I am currently struggling with Practicing The Power Of Now. Maybe I am now meant to read it at the moment. I have started and restarted it 3 times.

"This, too, will pass."
    — Eckhart Tolle
    Tigerbaby wrote: »
    "This too shall pass".

its a beautiful saying but it

is quite a bit older than mr tolle.

The phrase seems to have originated in the writings of the medieval Persian Sufi poets, and is often attached to a fable of a great king who is humbled by the simple words. Some versions of the fable, beginning with that of Attar of Nishapur, add the detail that the phrase is inscribed on a ring, which therefore has the ability to make the happy man sad and the sad man happy.

I recommend further reading by Epictetus.

cheers and blessed thanks for bringing these words back to me.

This phrase appears in chapter eight (p137) of the book A New Earth, which starts " According to the ancient Sufi story ". Tolle isn't attempting to use the phrase as his own, it's said as part of an ancient tale. These posts may give the false impression that Tolle uses historical texts to claim them as his own, which is not the case.
    For further reading on Eckhart Tolle books, I recommend one of Eckhart Tolle books.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 99 ✭✭angelman121

I am not a fan of Eckhart Tolle or anybody else for that matter, I did read TPON years back and found it to be a valuable tool on my journey, however I remember visiting his web site back then and found he was selling posters of himself ! that gave me the creeps so I gave him a wide birth since then. Have just visited his website again and see he has followed so many good teachers down the road of 'mastering the marketplace' (or the illusion of ) where the spiritual message that freely comes to them is packaged and sold in every conceivable form, he is now popping up as an add offering a free trial next to this box as I type this !.
    I also noticed the banner on his website is Creating a New Earth together, which is contradicting TPON, as NOW is created already and the idea of creating a new earth is not only removing oneself from now but also seeing it as not good enough or wrong and needs fixing.

I am not a fan of Eckhart Tolle or anybody else for that matter, I did read TPON years back and found it to be a valuable tool on my journey, however I remember visiting his web site back then and found he was selling posters of himself ! that gave me the creeps so I gave him a wide birth since then. Have just visited his website again and see he has followed so many good teachers down the road of 'mastering the marketplace' (or the illusion of ) where the spiritual message that freely comes to them is packaged and sold in every conceivable form, he is now popping up as an add offering a free trial next to this box as I type this !.
    I also noticed the banner on his website is Creating a New Earth together, which is contradicting TPON, as NOW is created already and the idea of creating a new earth is not only removing oneself from now but also seeing it as not good enough or wrong and needs fixing.
    angleman121, when you say you found TPON a "valuable tool on my journey" I take it, that at one point it resonated with you and you saw a truth in the content of the book. How did this change after visiting the ET website, if you found something valuable in the words what has the looks, friends, passtimes or business of the person who wrote the words got to do with it? many people upon hearing/reading what he has to say, will say they see a truth in it, many more will say it's utter nonsense. If the words on the page remained the same i'm curious to know why the change in you.

angleman121, when you say you found TPON a "valuable tool on my journey" I take it, that at one point it resonated with you and you saw a truth in the content of the book. How did this change after visiting the ET website, if you found something valuable in the words what has the looks, friends, passtimes or business of the person who wrote the words got to do with it? many people upon hearing/reading what he has to say, will say they see a truth in it, many more will say it's utter nonsense. If the words on the page remained the same i'm curious to know why the change in you.

The essential message of truth in TPON would still resonate with me, I didn't change in that regard, but my gut feeling (instinct) steered (guided)me away from the messenger but not his message (after I had received the message), and I trust my instincts. ET's looks had nothing to do with that decision, I know nothing of his friends, pastimes and the little I knew about his business was restricted to 'he wrote a book and sells posters of himself'. personally I found the poster bit to egotistical for my liking.

The essential message of truth in TPON would still resonate with me, I didn't change in that regard
    Fair enough
    ET's looks had nothing to do with that decision, I know nothing of his friends, pastimes
    Here I was making the distinction between the messenger and the message.
    and the little I knew about his business was restricted to 'he wrote a book and sells posters of himself'. personally I found the poster bit to egotistical for my liking.

Just had a quick look and I didn't see any posters for sale, anyways, I'll take your word on it. But rather than " he wrote a book and sells posters of himself" I'd say a more accurate reflection of the situation is "he wrote a book which became etremely popular and as a result posters of ET became available to buy".

Why anyone would buy an ET poster is completely beyond me, but seeing as they exist there must have been some kind of demand. I don't see that as a bad thing, it just is, as it is, a poster isn't gonna hurt anyone and it's not like the buyer is unaware of what they're buying, they pay the five bucks or whatever and get what they want. Hell, it probably helps create Jobs for people.

Due to the popularity of ET i'd imagine he has various people helping him with practical aspects of his life, so let's say at some point it was put to Tolle that some of his readers would like a poster of him what is he supposed to say, "Better not because some people might think..."
    "No way my books are about a very serious matter and I will not have my name tarnished by some tackie posters"

If I was to take my current favourite Rock band, I couldn't honestly tell you if it is actually possible to get a poster of them, but seeing as their famous I presume it is. As i'm sure you're aware the bands decision to have a poster made of themselves won't diminish my enjoyment of listening to them in any way but furthermore it wouldn't influence my view on their personalities in any way. Because it's just a poster. I believe their main concern is making music.

I believe when ET first sat down to write his book his main concern was to get his message accross and I believe this is why he continues to talk/write.

Would you consider that finding Tolle egotistical simply because there are posters of him available, has more to do with him not fitting into your preconceived notions of what a great spiritual teacher should be like.

Fair enough

Here I was making the distinction between the messenger and the message.

Just had a quick look and I didn't see any posters for sale, anyways, I'll take your word on it. But rather than " he wrote a book and sells posters of himself" I'd say a more accurate reflection of the situation is "he wrote a book which became etremely popular and as a result posters of ET became available to buy".

Why anyone would buy an ET poster is completely beyond me, but seeing as they exist there must have been some kind of demand. I don't see that as a bad thing, it just is, as it is, a poster isn't gonna hurt anyone and it's not like the buyer is unaware of what they're buying, they pay the five bucks or whatever and get what they want. Hell, it probably helps create Jobs for people.

Due to the popularity of ET i'd imagine he has various people helping him with practical aspects of his life, so let's say at some point it was put to Tolle that some of his readers would like a poster of him what is he supposed to say, "Better not because some people might think..."
    "No way my books are about a very serious matter and I will not have my name tarnished by some tackie posters"

If I was to take my current favourite Rock band, I couldn't honestly tell you if it is actually possible to get a poster of them, but seeing as their famous I presume it is. As i'm sure you're aware the bands decision to have a poster made of themselves won't diminish my enjoyment of listening to them in any way but furthermore it wouldn't influence my view on their personalities in any way. Because it's just a poster. I believe their main concern is making music.

I believe when ET first sat down to write his book his main concern was to get his message accross and I believe this is why he continues to talk/write.

Would you consider that finding Tolle egotistical simply because there are posters of him available, has more to do with him not fitting into your preconceived notions of what a great spiritual teacher should be like.

Becoming "extremely popular" doesn't automatically make one a "great spiritual teacher" it make them a marketing success (and there's nothing wrong with that) but the two don't equate to the same thing.

I'm not going to follow you down the "I'd imagine" road.
    I don't know or care who, why or how the posters got onto the website I know they where on it.

On the rock band theme, maybe putting ET on the same platform as KISS or The New York dolls as entertainers putting on an act (not their real personalities) for a paying audience could fit, I wouldn't know, as I said 'I gave him a wide birth years ago' .

I never went seeking a spiritual teacher, great or otherwise, so I had/have no "preconceived" notions of what one should be like.

Putting or 'allowing for' posters of himself to be sold on his website Say's more about ET notions of what a spiritual teacher should be like then it does about anybody Else's notions. it is what it is and needs no defending or excusing. The word adoration comes to mind, which is the epitome of EGO.

I want to stress it was many years ago, but having recently had look at his website he's still not for me.

• Advertisement

Becoming "extremely popular" doesn't automatically make one a "great spiritual teacher" it make them a marketing success (and there's nothing wrong with that) but the two don't equate to the same thing.

I'm not going to follow you down the "I'd imagine" road.
    I don't know or care who, why or how the posters got onto the website I know they where on it.

On the rock band theme, maybe putting ET on the same platform as KISS or The New York dolls as entertainers putting on an act (not their real personalities) for a paying audience could fit, I wouldn't know, as I said 'I gave him a wide birth years ago' .

I never went seeking a spiritual teacher, great or otherwise, so I had/have no "preconceived" notions of what one should be like.

Putting or 'allowing for' posters of himself to be sold on his website Say's more about ET notions of what a spiritual teacher should be like then it does about anybody Else's notions. it is what it is and needs no defending or excusing. The word adoration comes to mind, which is the epitome of EGO.

I want to stress it was many years ago, but having recently had look at his website he's still not for me.

I didn't say he was extremely popular I said his books are, nor did I say he was a great spiritual teacher, I just asked you to consider something.

I've just done another search around for an ET poster and again have failed to find any. I am now begining to doubt if ever such a thing was made.
    Taking into account all that is currently for sale at the ET website, I fail to see how anybody could have a problem with it, as everything is up front and honest.

In all Tolle has said and written there isn't a single attempt to suggest that owning more of his stuff will help you spiritualy. He just says his thing, and items such as DVD/Books are tools used to get his message across. At what point should he say "stop, enough people have heard my message".

Also Tolle is continually drawing people's attention to other spiritual sources/writters that are available today and down trough the ages.

I didn't say he was extremely popular I said his books are, nor did I say he was a great spiritual teacher, I just asked you to consider something.

I've just done another search around for an ET poster and again have failed to find any. I am now begining to doubt if ever such a thing was made.
    Taking into account all that is currently for sale at the ET website, I fail to see how anybody could have a problem with it, as everything is up front and honest.

In all Tolle has said and written there isn't a single attempt to suggest that owning more of his stuff will help you spiritualy. He just says his thing, and items such as DVD/Books are tools used to get his message across. At what point should he say "stop, enough people have heard my message".

Also Tolle is continually drawing people's attention to other spiritual sources/writters that are available today and down trough the ages.

You doubt away.That's calling me a liar I,m done .
    Pick a derogatory term and apply it to yourself (most will fit) I'm just to polite to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Read Lliving in the Now! Found it interesting.
    Bought the follow up book, name of it escapes me, anyway I could not follow it at all. Gave up , sitting in a pile of books somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Ladyblackadder

I read The Power of Now a few years ago and found it good but very repetitive of it's message. I found A New Earth gave me a better understanding of that same message. I think I found his writing style had become more succinct. It might be time for me to reread both books. I am in need of a spiritual boost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭daisybelle2008

I read The Power of Now a few years ago and found it good but very repetitive of it's message. I found A New Earth gave me a better understanding of that same message. I think I found his writing style had become more succinct. It might be time for me to reread both books. I am in need of a spiritual boost.

I have never actually read either book, I have listened to them many times on audio CD, It is himself reading and two people asking questions on TPON. I listen in the car. I'd recommend it as a change from reading.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 73 ✭✭Roger Buck

Back when I lived in Findhorn and was heavily involved in New Age spirituality, I was very drawn to spiritual approaches a la Tolle's. A great favourite of mine was Krishnamurti who has many parallels with Tolle.

Discovering the Church, also coming to Ireland, changed me deeply.

I began seeing ever more clearly how that form of spirituality had been leading me to a more and more de-personalised, even inhuman form of spirituality.

Krishnamurti became so enamoured of the Power of the Now that in old age, he even forgot that he had a brother who he loved, but who died young.

Krishnamurti was brilliant ... like Tolle ... he was not senile. He just so completely lived in the Power of the Now that he forgot very human things, like having a beloved brother.

Today I count myself very fortunate to have found a far more human form of spirituality. And Irish tradition helped me considerably in that.

If anyone is interested, I have two major posts at my blog about that.

One is about Tolle specifically: http://corjesusacratissimum.org/2009/04/article-2/

The other is about how I left Findhorn and the New Age behind found a far more human spirituality partly via the book Meditations on the Tarot ...

http://corjesusacratissimum.org/2013/03/from-findhorn-to-catholicism-on-leaving-the-new-age-for-the-church/

• Advertisement
Advertisement