Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Eckhart Tolle - any fans?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

Starokan wrote: »
    I think tolle's books are written in such a way as to make people stop for a second and consider the concept of presence which is something they may never previously have done.
    good point, it is a new approach to helping people, it really is, and its great listening to him, I wont deny he helps peoples lives...for a while, I just believe it can be alot more efficient than that, how about drop the teachings of presence , show people that they dont exist, there is no ownership , only a body exists, and then presence comes by itself, no practice or teachings required.
    It is I grant you a more gentle approach than what you are advocating but i guess it resonates with X amount of people X amount of the time. I think people at different stages are open to different messages.
    exactly, it resonates with people, it sounds nice, its soothing and attractive, and yes, even slightly effective, it even allows for glimpses/satoris and stuff.
    To some the gentle approach sets them on the right path, to others a more forceful awakening works better. To my mind both approaches are perfectly fine.

Well depends , you can drag it on and on and dilute it, or you can keep the message simple and effective.
    If its not derailing the thread to much I am curious as to your comment regarding the self not existing in any shape or form ever. Are you speaking of the physical self or do you believe that upon your death you cease to exist completely?
    What is it you call the physical self? This is not about the body and brain and the guts and blood and all that stuff. that aint the self, what do you consider the physical self?
    As for your second question, upon death, the body finally exhausts itself of oxygen, the body fades into away existence, dust , decay , whatever, , but there will never be any 'me' that ceased to exist in the first place, a bit like a plant, only the difference a plant is not intelligent, a human is, a plant is not aware, a human is. Its this awareness and language, and development of beliefs that result in the feeling of self imo.
    But hey , prove me wrong!!!:) Find that self and show it to me!

guitarzero wrote: »
    Hes a millionaire banking on words that were uttered and documented 4000 years ago, no? I went to one of his seminars a year back, didnt buy it. It sounds like a myriad of nonsense that perhaps a trip on LSD could offer?
    yes, drugs etc does offer this stuff, its all to do with the brain , whats connecting, whats not etc, BUT, drugs are bad mmmkay? no seriously though, drugs have serious side effects that dont offer that stuff in pure cleanliness and reality, they offer that stuff with a bout of depression, scag, anxiety, bad diet as a side effect.
    The power of now doesnt necessarily mean ****. What value has the now without basing your desicions on experince (the past), so we refer to the past, hence, in the mind, kinda live there in order to go forward.
    well you see the past doesnt actually exist im afraid, only in your head.

Yea your probably reading this stuff saying 'lol what a new age hippy', but I wouldnt be Tolles biggest fan , but I still disagree with you.
    Where can you find the future or the past? Where is it? It doesnt actually exist in real life, it should only be used for practical purposes, not worries and apprehensions and stresses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Starokan

wylo wrote: »
    What is it you call the physical self? This is not about the body and brain and the guts and blood and all that stuff. that aint the self, what do you consider the physical self?

I dont really buy into the concept of self , i was just curious as to what you meant in your earlier post. Personally id consider the physical body to be simply an organism/machine that houses your spirit.

As for your second question, upon death, the body finally exhausts itself of oxygen, the body fades into away existence, dust , decay , whatever, , but there will never be any 'me' that ceased to exist in the first place, a bit like a plant, only the difference a plant is not intelligent, a human is, a plant is not aware, a human is. Its this awareness and language, and development of beliefs that result in the feeling of self imo.
    But hey , prove me wrong!!!:) Find that self and show it to me!

I'd differ slightly here in that i think that when your physical body dies, your spirit remains albeit in different form. At its most basest form i think everything is just energy and that when we die we transmute to energy albeit a sentient form of energy. I believe we are all as individuals simply one part of a great collective of energy or consciousness if you like. Im not so much a believer in self as rather a believer in that we are all one

I've no urge to prove you wrong or right. It was just curiosity on my part. I spent some time reading some of your posts today on a different thread and they are very interesting and thought provoking.

my thanks for replying to my question

Hi Starokan, no prob, I sometimes get lost in my own posts and get into deep rants!! lol:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 taracorcoran

I really enjoyed Eckhart Tolle's books ,, hes very good to watch on youtube also. Anyone ever checked out Adyshanti or Gangagi on youtube? well worth watching in my opinion. However, I found i got a bit obsessed and therefore it didnt help in the actual waking up process because of overthinking about waking up instead of actually waking up.

• Advertisement

Hi Tara, the best way I know of (theres probably plenty of ways), of waking up is by concentrating solely on whether a self exists in real life or not. By testing in real life if there is a self needed for you to do anything , think anything.

If you look with genuine focus at this one aspect of spirituality and ignore the rest you should see it.

They all mention it, they all talk about it their videos etc, but they dont hone in on it, Im fairly certain its when a human questions who the thinker behind the thoughts is, is when they wake up to the reality that there is no thinker.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

Hes a millionaire banking on words that were uttered and documented 4000 years ago, no? I went to one of his seminars a year back, didnt buy it. It sounds like a myriad of nonsense that perhaps a trip on LSD could offer? The power of now doesnt necessarily mean ****. What value has the now without basing your desicions on experince (the past), so we refer to the past, hence, in the mind, kinda live there in order to go forward.

I'm not surprised you think it's rubbish as you have missed the meaning that he is getting at. He doesn't say not use past experiences to help your decisions. The main point Tolle wants to get across is to get you out of your head. We spend so much time and energy going through pointless repetitive thoughts in our head that we become disconnected from life which is felt, not thought about. What many people do is think their past is who they are and make an identity out of it, Tolle has no problem with people thinking about the past so long as it is not unnecessary and ego induced thinking. The joy of life is felt when you can stop thinking and become fully aware of your body and surroundings right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭torrentum

I used to be a big fan of Tolle; read all his books, downloaded all the audiobooks too. Was inspired and loved his work. I was massively disappointed to hear him speak of dabbling in LSD, not in his younger years, nut recently. I began to reflect more on what he was saying and realised he was recycling bits from other religions and stringing them together to sell for a profit. That's was the end of that. His books went in the bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭roosh

torrentum wrote: »
    I used to be a big fan of Tolle; read all his books, downloaded all the audiobooks too. Was inspired and loved his work. I was massively disappointed to hear him speak of dabbling in LSD, not in his younger years, nut recently. I began to reflect more on what he was saying and realised he was recycling bits from other religions and stringing them together to sell for a profit. That's was the end of that. His books went in the bin.

His books, the powe of now & a new earth, can be a good starting point; I haven't seen many of his talks, but the impression I get is that he is a good starting point, but there is a lot more to it than he presents.

the practice of meditation is the keystone of spirituality; even his instructions of "watching the thinker" or observing thoughts are [fairly crude] meditation instructions. I don't think he really goes into the practice of meditation though.

a book I read shortly after Tolle's works was, the Tibetan Book of Living & Dying by Sogyal Rinpoche, which was another powerful read; and I think a helpful "next step".

torrentum wrote: »

Hes probably more clued in and engaged with reality than people that have never taken drugs or even drank in their life. He is completely passed concepts that humans created.

Im not condoning taking acid, but can you imagine a world never told you acid was bad, that it was legal, and that dabbling in it was ok. Can you imagine in this world, coffee held the taboo that acid does here. Then you'd hate him because he drank some coffee.

I havent taken it btw.

Tolle is passed being held by concepts and ideas and approval, he probably made a judgement that a small dabbling is fine. He probably knows his limits.

Him admitting something like that makes me admire him more. And it confirms to me more that he is truly liberated from the nonsense, and isnt a bull****ter.

Alot of assumptions by me there, but thats just my take.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Flashgordon197

I think a lot of these guys are essentially repeating themselves. I dont think he is a great writer. For a guy who talks about giving up the Ego-he runs a for profit organisation. There is nothing new in his work. Thats something that can be said for most self help books.

I think a lot of these guys are essentially repeating themselves. I dont think he is a great writer. For a guy who talks about giving up the Ego-he runs a for profit organisation. There is nothing new in his work. Thats something that can be said for most self help books.
    Why should ego have anything to do with running a for profit organisation?

And also he says himself he didn't get rid of ego, he just laughs at it

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Flashgordon197

wylo wrote: »
    Why should ego have anything to do with running a for profit organisation?

And also he says himself he didn't get rid of ego, he just laughs at it

I never meant to imply ego or non-ego had anything to do with running a profit making company. Its just he claims we should rise above the trappings of the ego including wealth! Exactly, why does need millions unless he is a slave to his desires? Do you need millions to live in the "now" He is in the same rat race as the rest of us! Took this from another forum but it expresses my feelings on him: (BTW-his ideas are great but his money making shows he is not practising what he really preaches:

Here's how you do it:(Make Money the Eckhart Tolle Way:

1) Identify an ancient piece of wisdom that's been around for thousands of years.
    2) Give it a new and mysterious name like "The Now"
    3) Present a compelling story of personal transformation: from suicidial depression to ULTIMATE BLISS in a flash.... and you can have this too and never feel pain again.
    4) Neglect to mention you're describing old ideas in a new way.
    5) Explain it in words that people can understand and put it in a context that's socially acceptable; away from distasteful religious beliefs.
    6) An attention grabbing, and succinct title "The Power Of Now"

The Exciting Bonus: Once you have established a reputation as a wise guru it's a cash cow. Continue to present the same idea in new ways e.g. "A New Earth", and "Practicing The Power Of Now"

Brilliant.

It's a good message though, don't get me wrong. Just saying, it's a funny old world, and nowhere more so than the field of info marketing.

I never meant to imply ego or non-ego had anything to do with running a profit making company. Its just he claims we should rise above the trappings of the ego including wealth! Exactly, why does need millions unless he is a slave to his desires? Do you need millions to live in the "now" He is in the same rat race as the rest of us! Took this from another forum but it expresses my feelings on him: (BTW-his ideas are great but his money making shows he is not practising what he really preaches:

I think its very easy misunderstand what people mean by "desires". I can see why it may seem contradictory, but for him, its probably a case that he doesnt care. Hes still a human, hes still going to do well for himself if he has the capability.
    That said, if he actually included wealth in his arguments, well then, thats contradictory alright
    Here's how you do it:(Make Money the Eckhart Tolle Way:

1) Identify an ancient piece of wisdom that's been around for thousands of years.

2) Give it a new and mysterious name like "The Now"
    Dont underestimate the importance and effectiveness of how something is delivered, despite how old the material is.
    3) Present a compelling story of personal transformation: from suicidial depression to ULTIMATE BLISS in a flash.... and you can have this too and never feel pain again.
    I believe his story, something similar happened me and happens many others too (little depression and less bliss though for me though), not quite as extreme, but not far off, ive no doubt he exaggerated as well (because I know that another time he said he was barely aware it had happened)
    He also explained exactly what happened, but failed to hone in on it. He questioned his own sense of self, realized it didnt exist, and hey presto , was free.
    4) Neglect to mention you're describing old ideas in a new way.
    True, he should have done this.
    5) Explain it in words that people can understand and put it in a context that's socially acceptable; away from distasteful religious beliefs.
    Nothing wrong with that. The biggest problem is the use of religious associations that throw people off.
    6) An attention grabbing, and succinct title "The Power Of Now"
    Nothing wrong with that either.
    The Exciting Bonus: Once you have established a reputation as a wise guru it's a cash cow. Continue to present the same idea in new ways e.g. "A New Earth", and "Practicing The Power Of Now"

Brilliant.
    Agreed, thats just milking it.
    It's a good message though, don't get me wrong. Just saying, it's a funny old world, and nowhere more so than the field of info marketing.
    Ive a feeling you expect a certain behavior from someone who has been through his experience and because that behavior doesn't match up to the expectations, it feels to you that he is a fraud.

Truth is , he got himself out of his own ****, he cant seem to be able to deliver a clear way of getting people through the sudden shift he got through. But he thinks he has a way of helping people to get there another way.

I dont doubt that he believes in what hes saying. Personally I just wish he would concentrate more on no self. Because for some, seeing no self is huge, for others , not so much, but the fact is, the practice of challenging your belief in self is the most effective method ive come across for getting you quite far. And even Tolle is proof of that. (Didnt he say "how can I live with myself? Is there 2 mes?")

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Red21

On these points in relation to the metaphysics of Tolles teaching.

*we along with the rest of the universe are a consciousness/being/god trying to experience itself.

*everything that exists possess some level of this consciousness/being/god as it was this consciousness that brought matter and space into being in the first place.

*Everyone can access/realise this all pervading consciousness/being/god as it is in everything including themselves.

*gaining access to this consciousness/being/god is the very purpose of our existance.

I'm aware that the message that Tolle is trying to convey is difficult to conceptualize so other spiritual teachers may use differant words to say the same thing, also that Tolle has many other things to say in his books but i'm just trying to get an idea if people(fans of E.T) agree or disagree with these as the basic premise of Tolles writtings in relation to Whats it all about/the reality of our situation type questions.
    Are these the core beliefs people who consider themselves spiritual believe or is this just a specific view point of spirituality?
    Outside of the broad area the word spirituality covers, is there another word or term used to describe this way of looking at life?

Red21 wrote: »
    On these points in relation to the metaphysics of Tolles teaching.

*we along with the rest of the universe are a consciousness/being/god trying to experience itself.

*everything that exists possess some level of this consciousness/being/god as it was this consciousness that brought matter and space into being in the first place.

*Everyone can access/realise this all pervading consciousness/being/god as it is in everything including themselves.

*gaining access to this consciousness/being/god is the very purpose of our existance.

I'm aware that the message that Tolle is trying to convey is difficult to conceptualize so other spiritual teachers may use differant words to say the same thing, also that Tolle has many other things to say in his books but i'm just trying to get an idea if people(fans of E.T) agree or disagree with these as the basic premise of Tolles writtings in relation to Whats it all about/the reality of our situation type questions.
    Are these the core beliefs people who consider themselves spiritual believe or is this just a specific view point of spirituality?
    Outside of the broad area the word spirituality covers, is there another word or term used to describe this way of looking at life?
    I think what happens is that the word God becomes completely lost in meaning, hence the confusion.

I used hold a huge snobbery over the world of spirituality because of some of the language used including the word God.

Then I realised people into spirituality are actually attempting to engage in reality and the world around them more than I ever was in the past.

To answer your question, I think the core beliefs of spirituality vary so wildly that the answer would be different from person to person. That may sound vague but it's true.
    People on this "scene" argue with each other about this stuff as much as any other "scen"

To answer your last question, I put the emphasis on no self (as do loads of people but I think the emphasis on it is FAR more important initially than its given credit for).

What happens is "insights" occur, "I am everything", "everything is God" etc. But I think having the honesty not to proclaim you know some truth just because you feel something, is actually quite important. Because really, once you go down that road it starts to sound airy fairy and weird to most people.
    Keep it simple imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Greyfoot

Red21 wrote: »

There is my friend: Love

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Corcaigh84

I read PoN and nearly finished New Earth after I picked them up from a friend who was just out of rehab, and doing well now thankfully. I needed something to distract myself after coming out of a relationship break up that had my head wrecked.

I find some of his relationship 'advice' terrifying to be honest: everyone is only playing a role etc, 'there is no such thing as a relationship', and there is no wanting in true love.
    Some of it made sense though, I may have been 'forcing' the relationship to make me feel better from the start.

I'm thinking to myself damn... surely wanting to be with someone you're attracted to is natural... it's confusing sometimes reading him to say the least!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭daisybelle2008

thefloss wrote: »
    I read PoN and nearly finished New Earth after I picked them up from a friend who was just out of rehab, and doing well now thankfully. I needed something to distract myself after coming out of a relationship break up that had my head wrecked.

I find some of his relationship 'advice' terrifying to be honest: everyone is only playing a role etc, 'there is no such thing as a relationship', and there is no wanting in true love.
    Some of it made sense though, I may have been 'forcing' the relationship to make me feel better from the start.

I'm thinking to myself damn... surely wanting to be with someone you're attracted to is natural... it's confusing sometimes reading him to say the least!

I think those things you find terrifying are actually very freeing ideas. Our culture puts a very big emphasis on finding security and validations in one relationship. That is a lot of pressure and it creates a very conditional, 'role' type relationship. No wanting in true love makes perfect sense, no? Why would you think there should be 'wanting' in love. I would interpret wanting as a feeling of lack that needs to be fulfilled. That would not have anything to do with love.
    I think Osho probably explains this better than Tolle. But love has no opposite and your given does not have to be dependent on an outcome. The giving,feeling or expressing in of itself is enough. It is a very freeing idea. Society has a lot of rules and conditions to a conservative type of monogamy it calls 'true love'. Tolle is pointing that a specific culturally defined relationship is not required to feel that.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Corcaigh84

I think I know what you mean, they are some good points. It's hard to even put into words what is confusing about the concept. No 'wanting' makes sense though. I figure that two people happy in themselves and who also like each other is probably the way things should be... I mean I look at my parents happily married for nearly 30 years and they just seem relaxed with each other. That's something good to aspire to I think, they are my role models in that sense.

I think my relationship didn't work out because I may have 'wanted' to feel more loved by the other person. I felt I was putting in all the effort and being taken for granted which took it's toll in the end. These things happen I suppose, live and learn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭daisybelle2008

thefloss wrote: »
    I think I know what you mean, they are some good points. It's hard to even put into words what is confusing about the concept. No 'wanting' makes sense though. I figure that two people happy in themselves and who also like each other is probably the way things should be... I mean I look at my parents happily married for nearly 30 years and they just seem relaxed with each other. That's something good to aspire to I think, they are my role models in that sense.

I think my relationship didn't work out because I may have 'wanted' to feel more loved by the other person. I felt I was putting in all the effort and being taken for granted which took it's toll in the end. These things happen I suppose, live and learn.

Yes in the Spiritual sense, you feel or 'realise' that love in yourself and it is in such abundance that you don't 'need' it from someone else to feel complete. It is reflected back at you when you are with someone. So truly being at peace, joyful and content in yourself right now is the way to guarantee that. Isn't it the most freeing idea that we can do that and don't need anyone else but that it can be enjoyed and mirrored back with people you love without a condition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Northclare

There is nothing more painful than the withdrawal from a rock bottom relationship.
    But on the other hand, if you get through that experience and learn something from it, it could be one of the best relationships you ever had.

I learned the hard way, and after my rockbottom relationship which ended nearly two year's ago, I developed a new outlook on relationships.

I will never get 100 percent attached to another human being ever again.
    I'm very happily single and still love the opposite sex but detaching with love takes a lot of the pain away.

I never need to have control or dominion over other people, places, or things because attachment leads a person to the dark side of their soul.

Years ago I detested people who had that outlook but a person should never sell themselves short.

Oh yeah I'm not perfect either :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭roosh

Northclare wrote: »
    There is nothing more painful than the withdrawal from a rock bottom relationship.
    But on the other hand, if you get through that experience and learn something from it, it could be one of the best relationships you ever had.

I learned the hard way, and after my rockbottom relationship which ended nearly two year's ago, I developed a new outlook on relationships.

I will never get 100 percent attached to another human being ever again.
    I'm very happily single and still love the opposite sex but detaching with love takes a lot of the pain away.

I never need to have control or dominion over other people, places, or things because attachment leads a person to the dark side of their soul.

Years ago I detested people who had that outlook but a person should never sell themselves short.

Oh yeah I'm not perfect either :)

you are perfect NC, you probably just don't realise it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4 OUT THE GAP

anamcarame wrote: »
    I cannot fault TPON. Truly a live changing and awakening book. New Earth was a great follow on for me. I am currently struggling with Practicing The Power Of Now. Maybe I am now meant to read it at the moment. I have started and restarted it 3 times.

"This, too, will pass."
    — Eckhart Tolle
    Tigerbaby wrote: »
    "This too shall pass".

its a beautiful saying but it

is quite a bit older than mr tolle.

The phrase seems to have originated in the writings of the medieval Persian Sufi poets, and is often attached to a fable of a great king who is humbled by the simple words. Some versions of the fable, beginning with that of Attar of Nishapur, add the detail that the phrase is inscribed on a ring, which therefore has the ability to make the happy man sad and the sad man happy.

I recommend further reading by Epictetus.

cheers and blessed thanks for bringing these words back to me.

This phrase appears in chapter eight (p137) of the book A New Earth, which starts " According to the ancient Sufi story ". Tolle isn't attempting to use the phrase as his own, it's said as part of an ancient tale. These posts may give the false impression that Tolle uses historical texts to claim them as his own, which is not the case.
    For further reading on Eckhart Tolle books, I recommend one of Eckhart Tolle books.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭angelman121

I am not a fan of Eckhart Tolle or anybody else for that matter, I did read TPON years back and found it to be a valuable tool on my journey, however I remember visiting his web site back then and found he was selling posters of himself ! that gave me the creeps so I gave him a wide birth since then. Have just visited his website again and see he has followed so many good teachers down the road of 'mastering the marketplace' (or the illusion of ) where the spiritual message that freely comes to them is packaged and sold in every conceivable form, he is now popping up as an add offering a free trial next to this box as I type this !.
    I also noticed the banner on his website is Creating a New Earth together, which is contradicting TPON, as NOW is created already and the idea of creating a new earth is not only removing oneself from now but also seeing it as not good enough or wrong and needs fixing.

I am not a fan of Eckhart Tolle or anybody else for that matter, I did read TPON years back and found it to be a valuable tool on my journey, however I remember visiting his web site back then and found he was selling posters of himself ! that gave me the creeps so I gave him a wide birth since then. Have just visited his website again and see he has followed so many good teachers down the road of 'mastering the marketplace' (or the illusion of ) where the spiritual message that freely comes to them is packaged and sold in every conceivable form, he is now popping up as an add offering a free trial next to this box as I type this !.
    I also noticed the banner on his website is Creating a New Earth together, which is contradicting TPON, as NOW is created already and the idea of creating a new earth is not only removing oneself from now but also seeing it as not good enough or wrong and needs fixing.
    angleman121, when you say you found TPON a "valuable tool on my journey" I take it, that at one point it resonated with you and you saw a truth in the content of the book. How did this change after visiting the ET website, if you found something valuable in the words what has the looks, friends, passtimes or business of the person who wrote the words got to do with it? many people upon hearing/reading what he has to say, will say they see a truth in it, many more will say it's utter nonsense. If the words on the page remained the same i'm curious to know why the change in you.

angleman121, when you say you found TPON a "valuable tool on my journey" I take it, that at one point it resonated with you and you saw a truth in the content of the book. How did this change after visiting the ET website, if you found something valuable in the words what has the looks, friends, passtimes or business of the person who wrote the words got to do with it? many people upon hearing/reading what he has to say, will say they see a truth in it, many more will say it's utter nonsense. If the words on the page remained the same i'm curious to know why the change in you.

The essential message of truth in TPON would still resonate with me, I didn't change in that regard, but my gut feeling (instinct) steered (guided)me away from the messenger but not his message (after I had received the message), and I trust my instincts. ET's looks had nothing to do with that decision, I know nothing of his friends, pastimes and the little I knew about his business was restricted to 'he wrote a book and sells posters of himself'. personally I found the poster bit to egotistical for my liking.

The essential message of truth in TPON would still resonate with me, I didn't change in that regard
    Fair enough
    ET's looks had nothing to do with that decision, I know nothing of his friends, pastimes
    Here I was making the distinction between the messenger and the message.
    and the little I knew about his business was restricted to 'he wrote a book and sells posters of himself'. personally I found the poster bit to egotistical for my liking.

Just had a quick look and I didn't see any posters for sale, anyways, I'll take your word on it. But rather than " he wrote a book and sells posters of himself" I'd say a more accurate reflection of the situation is "he wrote a book which became etremely popular and as a result posters of ET became available to buy".

Why anyone would buy an ET poster is completely beyond me, but seeing as they exist there must have been some kind of demand. I don't see that as a bad thing, it just is, as it is, a poster isn't gonna hurt anyone and it's not like the buyer is unaware of what they're buying, they pay the five bucks or whatever and get what they want. Hell, it probably helps create Jobs for people.

Due to the popularity of ET i'd imagine he has various people helping him with practical aspects of his life, so let's say at some point it was put to Tolle that some of his readers would like a poster of him what is he supposed to say, "Better not because some people might think..."
    "No way my books are about a very serious matter and I will not have my name tarnished by some tackie posters"

If I was to take my current favourite Rock band, I couldn't honestly tell you if it is actually possible to get a poster of them, but seeing as their famous I presume it is. As i'm sure you're aware the bands decision to have a poster made of themselves won't diminish my enjoyment of listening to them in any way but furthermore it wouldn't influence my view on their personalities in any way. Because it's just a poster. I believe their main concern is making music.

I believe when ET first sat down to write his book his main concern was to get his message accross and I believe this is why he continues to talk/write.

Would you consider that finding Tolle egotistical simply because there are posters of him available, has more to do with him not fitting into your preconceived notions of what a great spiritual teacher should be like.

Fair enough

Here I was making the distinction between the messenger and the message.

Just had a quick look and I didn't see any posters for sale, anyways, I'll take your word on it. But rather than " he wrote a book and sells posters of himself" I'd say a more accurate reflection of the situation is "he wrote a book which became etremely popular and as a result posters of ET became available to buy".

Why anyone would buy an ET poster is completely beyond me, but seeing as they exist there must have been some kind of demand. I don't see that as a bad thing, it just is, as it is, a poster isn't gonna hurt anyone and it's not like the buyer is unaware of what they're buying, they pay the five bucks or whatever and get what they want. Hell, it probably helps create Jobs for people.

Due to the popularity of ET i'd imagine he has various people helping him with practical aspects of his life, so let's say at some point it was put to Tolle that some of his readers would like a poster of him what is he supposed to say, "Better not because some people might think..."
    "No way my books are about a very serious matter and I will not have my name tarnished by some tackie posters"

If I was to take my current favourite Rock band, I couldn't honestly tell you if it is actually possible to get a poster of them, but seeing as their famous I presume it is. As i'm sure you're aware the bands decision to have a poster made of themselves won't diminish my enjoyment of listening to them in any way but furthermore it wouldn't influence my view on their personalities in any way. Because it's just a poster. I believe their main concern is making music.

I believe when ET first sat down to write his book his main concern was to get his message accross and I believe this is why he continues to talk/write.

Would you consider that finding Tolle egotistical simply because there are posters of him available, has more to do with him not fitting into your preconceived notions of what a great spiritual teacher should be like.

Becoming "extremely popular" doesn't automatically make one a "great spiritual teacher" it make them a marketing success (and there's nothing wrong with that) but the two don't equate to the same thing.

I'm not going to follow you down the "I'd imagine" road.
    I don't know or care who, why or how the posters got onto the website I know they where on it.

On the rock band theme, maybe putting ET on the same platform as KISS or The New York dolls as entertainers putting on an act (not their real personalities) for a paying audience could fit, I wouldn't know, as I said 'I gave him a wide birth years ago' .

I never went seeking a spiritual teacher, great or otherwise, so I had/have no "preconceived" notions of what one should be like.

Putting or 'allowing for' posters of himself to be sold on his website Say's more about ET notions of what a spiritual teacher should be like then it does about anybody Else's notions. it is what it is and needs no defending or excusing. The word adoration comes to mind, which is the epitome of EGO.

I want to stress it was many years ago, but having recently had look at his website he's still not for me.

• Advertisement

Becoming "extremely popular" doesn't automatically make one a "great spiritual teacher" it make them a marketing success (and there's nothing wrong with that) but the two don't equate to the same thing.

I'm not going to follow you down the "I'd imagine" road.
    I don't know or care who, why or how the posters got onto the website I know they where on it.

On the rock band theme, maybe putting ET on the same platform as KISS or The New York dolls as entertainers putting on an act (not their real personalities) for a paying audience could fit, I wouldn't know, as I said 'I gave him a wide birth years ago' .

I never went seeking a spiritual teacher, great or otherwise, so I had/have no "preconceived" notions of what one should be like.

Putting or 'allowing for' posters of himself to be sold on his website Say's more about ET notions of what a spiritual teacher should be like then it does about anybody Else's notions. it is what it is and needs no defending or excusing. The word adoration comes to mind, which is the epitome of EGO.

I want to stress it was many years ago, but having recently had look at his website he's still not for me.

I didn't say he was extremely popular I said his books are, nor did I say he was a great spiritual teacher, I just asked you to consider something.

I've just done another search around for an ET poster and again have failed to find any. I am now begining to doubt if ever such a thing was made.
    Taking into account all that is currently for sale at the ET website, I fail to see how anybody could have a problem with it, as everything is up front and honest.

In all Tolle has said and written there isn't a single attempt to suggest that owning more of his stuff will help you spiritualy. He just says his thing, and items such as DVD/Books are tools used to get his message across. At what point should he say "stop, enough people have heard my message".

Also Tolle is continually drawing people's attention to other spiritual sources/writters that are available today and down trough the ages.

Advertisement