Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Motivator wrote: »
    No he doesn't.

Sorry should have checked that, thought he had one for 2005.
    Its gonna be another difficult year theres no doubt about that. Molumphy and Philip Mahony are massive losses a county like ours cannot afford to lose our top players especially a leader like Molumphy considering there aren't too many of our experienced players left. Whose gonna take the captaincy surely its set up for Mullane?

He wouldn't come back if he didn't get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭hardybuck

He wouldn't come back if he didn't get it.

Possibly the opposite. Why would a lad who is wondering if they can give the commitment for the year be considering the captaincy? No, he'll be asking himself if he can muster the desire and energy to maintain his performance levels. He needs to be a little bit selfish in trying to achieve that, the captaincy could actually put him off.

Secondly, the team can't have a captain who isn't in a position to commit himself at the start of the year. I'd say it'll be Brick again.

hardybuck wrote: »
    Possibly the opposite. Why would a lad who is wondering if they can give the commitment for the year be considering the captaincy? No, he'll be asking himself if he can muster the desire and energy to maintain his performance levels. He needs to be a little bit selfish in trying to achieve that, the captaincy could actually put him off.

Secondly, the team can't have a captain who isn't in a position to commit himself at the start of the year. I'd say it'll be Brick again.

I'd have my house on it being Mullane. There was no question about him coming back. If he wasn't, he would have said so soon after the championship, regardless of De La Salle commitments. It's grand to say he thought it would be his last year when he started out, but that counts for nothing until the end of the year, that's when you make the decision. Glad he's staying, obviously.

Michael Fennelly remained Kilkenny captain despite being injured for most of 2009, has Shefflin been in a similar situation? So I wouldn't but any significance in not playing for the first two months, sure he'll be around the team anyway.

Mullane has never captained Waterford. Everyone said he took the break last year because he was annoyed he wasn't captain.

This would be his last chance, I'm certain he wants it. And I'm pretty sure he'll get it.

Michael Fennelly remained Kilkenny captain despite being injured for most of 2009, has Shefflin been in a similar situation? So I wouldn't but any significance in not playing for the first two months, sure he'll be around the team anyway.

Mullane has never captained Waterford. Everyone said he took the break last year because he was annoyed he wasn't captain.

With respect, 'everyone said' means feck all. People will always want something to gossip about. He took the break last year for the same reason he's taking the break this year.

Also, a huge difference between an injured panelist being captain to a player who isn't on the panel being a captain.

Whether he is awarded it or not, it would be a very odd situation to be offering more responsibility to a man who is craving more time away from the sport to spend time with his young family.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭alllcounty

It would be great if Mullane got the captaincy. He has giving so much to the cause over the last 12 years with the senior county team both on and off the field. Wouldn't like him to be rushed back too early in the league though if it meant he would only be eligible if he was there for the first part of the league. I think Kevin Moran is a natural captain in the next few years also. Brick has being captain alot in the last number of years. It would be good to see someone else been giving the responsibility this year.

Wouldn't be too confident with the U21 team putting up any credible performance against Clare at home this year. A whole new management team put in place who never managed these players at underage means commitment to training and to this competition will be the same as the last 2 years. The clare U21 management already had a chance to develop a style of play with the players at minor and continued the good work when they took over the U21 team. Clare should be the favourites to win munster at this level as the majority of players are underage again this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

He has earned it. Don't know why the manager doesn't just end all the speculation, name Mullane as captain and be done with it, he is a legend and deserves his go at it end of story. Anything else is pure begrudgery in my honest opinion. Brick has been a brilliant captain and player, but time to let Mullane have a go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

Deskjockey wrote: »
    He has earned it. Don't know why the manager doesn't just end all the speculation, name Mullane as captain and be done with it, he is a legend and deserves his go at it end of story. Anything else is pure begrudgery in my honest opinion. Brick has been a brilliant captain and player, but time to let Mullane have a go.

Yea cos its as simple as that:rolleyes:. First and foremost he hasn't officially confirmed whether hes actually going to play this year!

If he is made captain it needs to be for the right reasons and for the benefit of the panel not just for the benefit of John Mullane. I dont agree with this bulls**t that 'he'll only come back if he is made captain' if thats true its pathetic stuff and the kind of thing thats held us back over the years. I dont beleive thats ever been the case with Mullane he's always put his county first and has always said what an honour it is to represent the people of waterford. If he is to be offered captaincy (which I beleive he should be btw) it might make another season all the more appealling to him and management should use it to seal the deal. but if he says that he wont come back unless hes made captain then I think it sends out the wrong message and leaves the management in a sticky position

hardybuck wrote: »
    With respect, 'everyone said' means feck all. People will always want something to gossip about. He took the break last year for the same reason he's taking the break this year.

Also, a huge difference between an injured panelist being captain to a player who isn't on the panel being a captain.

Whether he is awarded it or not, it would be a very odd situation to be offering more responsibility to a man who is craving more time away from the sport to spend time with his young family.

True, but I do believe it was true this time. People to get the wrong end of the stick, but not always.

He is on the panel, even if he's not playing. He'll still be present at training most of the time, and at matches.

It would be odd if he was going to be around for another 5 years, but I think this will be his last year. I think if it's not, age will catch up with him. I've huge respect for Mullane, but it's not like Tony Browne where he never relied on being fast. I think the idea of being captain of Waterford is definitely enticing to someone like Mullane, and it would be a good fit with his on the field leadership.
    Yea cos its as simple as that:rolleyes:. First and foremost he hasn't officially confirmed whether hes actually going to play this year!

If he is made captain it needs to be for the right reasons and for the benefit of the panel not just for the benefit of John Mullane. I dont agree with this bulls**t that 'he'll only come back if he is made captain' if thats true its pathetic stuff and the kind of thing thats held us back over the years. I dont beleive thats ever been the case with Mullane he's always put his county first and has always said what an honour it is to represent the people of waterford. If he is to be offered captaincy (which I beleive he should be btw) it might make another season all the more appealling to him and management should use it to seal the deal. but if he says that he wont come back unless hes made captain then I think it sends out the wrong message and leaves the management in a sticky position

I'd say he's already been offered the captaincy to be honest.

Right, but if he doesn't or shouldn't hold that attitude, then why do the management need to 'seal the deal'? I think, that's what is going on here. That they will/have offered him captaincy to get him to stay.

Whether it's right ot wrong, the reality is I want to see him there next year, and as long as he's there I don't mind. It's not ideal, but like from Mullane's perspective, he's given so much to Waterford in the last few years (and indeed since 2001), and while many of the 'old guard' are fading away he's still going strong. He doesn't owe Waterford anything, but of course he loves playing. But he probably feels he deserves to be and given all he gives, that's unfair and insulting if he doesn't. I can definitely understand that point of view, especially seen as he'd be a good captain in most people's eyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭WumBuster

The captain should be chosen from the previous year's county champions as per tradition. This stops favoritism from the manager and other players getting the hump that they are being overlooked all the time, such as Mullane. It's only fair that John should get it this year being one of the Deise's greatest leaders & servants on the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭zol 2

Any news on any BIG transfers within the county this yr? Heard there's a former county player leaving his west waterford club heading to a senior club in cork?

As for the senior captaincy-Give it to Mullane,no better candidate for the job in my opinion and what a player to lead the newcomers on the panel by example. A through legend of waterford hurling and its only when the likes of himself and Brick are finally retired we will really see how invaluable their likes are to the current set up.

• Advertisement

zol 2 wrote: »
    Any news on any BIG transfers within the county this yr? Heard there's a former county player leaving his west waterford club heading to a senior club in cork?

sounds like your more in the know than the rest of us... any names?

WumBuster wrote: »
    The captain should be chosen from the previous year's county champions as per tradition. This stops favoritism from the manager and other players getting the hump that they are being overlooked all the time, such as Mullane. It's only fair that John should get it this year being one of the Deise's greatest leaders & servants on the field.

Ideally, it would go to the best candidate.

If you pick it based on County Champions, then who would have been captain last year? One of the Mahonys? Wayne Hutchison, who clearly didn't meet the required standard in the management's eyes? Say if Dungarvan won it this year, who'd be captain then?

I'm not trying to bash any clubs, not a reflection on the quality of the players at either club. It's just a Captain takes a particular kind of player, and very few are suitable for the role.

WumBuster wrote: »
    The captain should be chosen from the previous year's county champions as per tradition. This stops favoritism .

Don't believe this should be the case at all. the amount of rows this causes across counties when captains can't actually make the team is unreal.

Just watched the 2007 league final again tonight. My God, I had forgotten what a bad scrappy game it was. Ref fussy out. Desperate shooting from both sides. Shefflin missing a 21 yard free from straight in front of the posts... Putting it wide like.

Still it was great for Waterford to win a scrappy one rather than losing a classic as they say! Ken McGrath scored some great long range frees. Eoin Kelly very reliable with his ones. Seamus Prendergadt with 3 from play. Shane Kearney had a great game Everyone stood up to be counted at the end. Ahhh, happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭IanVW

Any challenges coming up?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭thesultan

As for the senior captaincy-Give it to Mullane,no better candidate for the job in my opinion and what a player to lead the newcomers on the panel by example. A through legend of waterford hurling and its only when the likes of himself and Brick are finally retired we will really see how invaluable their likes are to the current set up.
    What club are we talking about?

thesultan wrote: »
    What club are we talking about?

Heard Shane Fives is going to Carrigtwohill.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Jarjohn

That is a surprise if true. Shane a very good player and I would regard him as a better player than some on the current training list. Still only 23/24 I think

Big blow to Tourin if true. Lost Paul Murray to Cappoquin a few years back. A very small rural club have enough struggles as it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭ManFromCheese

is joxer o connor still with carrigtwohil?

• Advertisement

is joxer o connor still with carrigtwohil?

Hes finished up with them this year as far as I know

Hes finished up with them this year as far as I know

He's still training them again this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭thesultan

Waterford are playing UCC in a challenge at the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭ManFromCheese

any news on club transfers?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭cleaboy boy

Looks like Finan Murray ( Cappoquin ) is off to pastures new as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭HillFarmer

thesultan wrote: »
    Waterford are playing UCC in a challenge at the weekend.

Do you know where this is being played.?

Looks like Finan Murray ( Cappoquin ) is off to pastures new as well.

Eh any idea where? No need to be so mysterious!

Is there a published list of transfers and regrades available or are people just quoting rumours?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 abbeysideFB4L

can anybody tell me why ballydurn have gained something like 12 killrosanty players and 8 kilmac?

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Jarjohn

can anybody tell me why ballydurn have gained something like 12 killrosanty players and 8 kilmac?

AFAIK Killrosanty not fielding any hurling teams this year so players can play hurling elsewhere. I think they can still play football with Killrosanty, might be down as assisting other clubs in hurling. Anyone know about Finan Murray?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭doublejj

yeah heard that too...how can it be justified to get that many complete advantage over rest of junior hurling teams,makes no sense should be put intermediate with that many signings

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement