Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Things Met Eireann Related Go in Here (MOD NOTE #1)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

lol...according to Gerry,theres a risk,that this rain will turn to shleet on the wicklow mountains...

Fcecks sake,what is he on?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 LoadofCROC

leahyl wrote: »
    Well I'll be god damned Gerry said snow!!

:eek:

Any snow for south east on Gerrys forecast?

Mountains only according to Gerry...
    Shleet on the wicklow mtns...

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

LoadofCROC wrote: »

Not for tonight or tomorrow anyway - looks to be Ulster and North Leinster most at risk

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭200motels

LoadofCROC wrote: »

We'll be very lucky to see snow, 10C here at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

whitebriar wrote: »
    lol...according to Gerry,theres a risk,that this rain will turn to shleet on the wicklow mountains...
    In fairness he repeatedly emphasised that it will turn to snow, initially there and inland/higher ground further north. No mention of how bad it will be on higher ground though... Also, I think the Carrickmacross man could and should have emphasised the likelihood of snow lying in his home town tomorrow!

I don't think most people realise just how horribly cold it will feel in driving, blustery sleet in many parts of the country!! Met Eireann need to highlight the bitter windchill and by extension how important it will be to stay dry and warm tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

All higher ground is going to get pasted out of it. Happy days.

Whats he going to say when theres snow on the m50 by this time tomorrow? claim its a mountain? scratch that,I doubt he cares.
    Any decent forecaster with an interest in weather would have done a better forecast that that one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Latest forecast from RTE 4-10 c. Stick a fork.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Bishop_Donal

Our Gerry, who art in ‘Nevin,
    Hallowed be thy Game; 

Thy forecast come, 
Our snow be done 

On Cork as it is in Dublin. 

Don’t give us today, our daily dread; 

And forgive our ramp excesses 

As we forgive those who unramp against us; 

And lead us not into downgrades, 

But deliver us a Blizzard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Any decent forecaster with an interest in weather would have done a better forecast that that one!

I thought it was a good forecast that did mention a lot of snow for the Wickla hills? :confused:

How would you propose he do the forecast?

I thought it was a good forecast that did mention a lot of snow for the Wickla hills? :confused:

How would you propose he do the forecast?
    Like Evelyn,explanatory style.
    Also he could have been less general about mtns and mention towns like car rick across or Rathdrum to get no snow tomorrow...
    Chances of disruption.. you know like they did in Ni.

You aren't confused, you just don't want to muck up your chances of getting a job in glasnevin :D I understand that angle but its a tad meh :D

Like Evelyn,explanatory style.
    Also he could have been less general about mtns and mention towns like car rick across or Rathdrum to get no snow tomorrow...
    Chances of disruption.. you know like they did in Ni.

You aren't confused, you just don't want to muck up your chances of getting a job in glasnevin :D I understand that angle but its a tad meh :D

And I think you are just being petty, he covered all possibilities in that forecast but obviously you just heard what you did not listen to just to suit your own personal gripe against the met. Go to RTE Player and listen to the forecast again.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Blizzard 2010

Hallowed be thy Game; 

Thy forecast come, 
Our snow be done 

Brilliant:D

And I think you are just being petty, he covered all possibilities in that forecast but obviously you just heard what you did not listen to just to suit your own personal gripe against the met. Go to RTE Player and listen to the forecast again.
    It is quite diffucult to pinpoint where snow will fall

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Simon Gruber Says

Hallowed be thy Game; 

Thy forecast come, 
Our snow be done 

Eamon

What gripe,that's all in your head boy :D
    I criticise Gerry and praise Evelyn and that's a gripe?
    Gripe me eye.
    Some people are better at weather presenting,that's all.
    Gerry doesn't cut it for me when forecasting is complicated.
    Everyone else in met E does complicated winter forecasts better tbh.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Decent forecast from the baul Gerry there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭dacogawa

I think Gerry's put his neck out with the amount of times he said "hills" after "snow" if it does get down to lower levels...

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Coffee n chocs

He used the S word.

He said SNOW

Hooray!

• Advertisement

What gripe,that's all in your head boy :D
    I criticise Gerry and praise Evelyn and that's a gripe?
    Gripe me eye.
    Some people are better at weather presenting,that's all.
    Gerry doesn't cut it for me when forecasting is complicated.
    Everyone else in met E does complicated winter forecasts better tbh.

So simple and yet so meaningless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Well if you look at the 18z for tomorrow you would say Gerry is spot on.
    Thickness, dew points, uppers, temps all look too high to support any lowground snow away from NI.

I might have been slating Gerry's forecast last night but tonight I think he is right and I think the beeb are over doing it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

I wonder would Gerry get in trouble if it did snow and stick at lower levels coz he said it wouldn't

• Registered Users Posts: 7,456 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Not a great forecast for snow there.
    There is a vast contrast between met eireanns forecast and the forecast of some people in here.
    Here's hoping we get some, it's turned very windy but still 7 degrees here in south armagh

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

I think some folks need to realize how much weight people give a forecast from a Met Eireann forecaster

Look at the numbers on this forum tonight , nearly 900 because Gerry mentioned a bit of cold weather and some snow on the hills ,( I was on Netweather last week and I think they broke there record of 1200 people online , prob been broken again but it goes to show the intense intrest over here on what the weather will do)

met Eireann have a duty of care to people and are quite correct not to ramp events until there nailed on ,

It would cause bedlam in the country if they did .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,499 ✭✭✭Speak Now

met Eireann have a duty of care to people and are quite correct not to ramp events until there nailed on ,

Those empty supermarket shelves in Wales would be nothing to what would go on here :D Forecast very fair in my mind.

So simple and yet so meaningless.
    Actually I apologise and withdraw my remarks,they were extremely unfair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Dead_Rabbits

I think some folks need to realize how much weight people give a forecast from a Met Eireann forecaster

Look at the numbers on this forum tonight , nearly 900 because Gerry mentioned a bit of cold weather and some snow on the hills ,( I was on Netweather last week and I think they broke there record of 1200 people online , prob been broken again but it goes to show the intense intrest over here on what the weather will do)

If you recall the NW site actually crashed :D

I hope Met Eireann are right with their forecast for tomorrow. :( NAE Dew points dont support their forecast.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Bejubby

Gerry was spot on with the forecast.

Advertisement