Advertisement
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards
Mods please check the Moderators Group for an important update on Mod tools. If you do not have access to the group, please PM Niamh. Thanks!

All Things Met Eireann Related Go in Here (MOD NOTE #1)

13468929

Comments



  • Leave it to a woman




  • I would generally be very much on met eireannn side but there has been sticking snow at low levels never mind higher ground all day from places across the country-Longford, carrick on Shannon and all the northern counties as the day wore on. The forecast in question by Gerry did not even mention this and we were only 24 hours odd out from the event.

    I understand that met eireann need to be a lot more secure in their forecasts than everyone on here who does not have a country paying attention but people on higher ground could, and really should have been warned on Wednesday night and not had to wait until Thursday when the snow was hitting that night.




  • Give me Jean anyday xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx




  • Rain, sleet and snow showers for Leinster and Ulster utpto and including Sunday.
    On Sunday rain and sleet into the southwest and overnight it will spread elsewhere and falling as snow in most areas.




  • I would generally be very much on met eireannn side but there has been sticking snow at low levels never mind higher ground all day from places across the country-Longford, carrick on Shannon and all the northern counties as the day wore on. The forecast in question by Gerry did not even mention this and we were only 24 hours odd out from the event.

    I understand that met eireann need to be a lot more secure in their forecasts than everyone on here who does not have a country paying attention but people on higher ground could, and really should have been warned on Wednesday night and not had to wait until Thursday when the snow was hitting that night.

    And that, as the man says, is that. UNRELIABLE.


  • Advertisement


  • I propose a motion to merge the met eireann and ramping thread after reading latest forecast on met.ie :D




  • Pangea wrote: »
    I propose a motion to merge the met eireann and ramping thread after reading latest forecast on met.ie :D

    Absolutely.

    Don't think I've ever read a forecast from Met E that's as positive for snow as that one.

    Mind you, it may all change again come the afternoon forecast but we'll see.

    We certainly seem to have the right conditions for snow: cold weather and precipitation. Whether dew points, uppers, and coastal breezes etc all play their part too is another thing of course...




  • compsys wrote: »

    Absolutely.

    Don't think I've ever read a forecast from Met E that's as positive for snow as that one.

    Mind you, it may all change again come the afternoon forecast but we'll see.

    We certainly seem to have the right conditions for snow: cold weather and precipitation. Whether dew points, uppers, and coastal breezes etc all play their part too is another thing of course...

    I know it's crazy. Despondency all over the place in the event and ramp threads and a comparative snow fest by ME. Clearly the two are inversely proportionate.




  • I read the threads here and was a bit disappointed and expecting nothing. Then I read met eireann and was like wtf?!

    Here's hoping anyways!




  • Well already a slight downgrade by Met E with the afternoon forecast. That didn't take long.

    More talk of sleet and fewer showers forecast for the rest of today and Sunday.


  • Advertisement


  • mattser wrote: »

    And that, as the man says, is that. UNRELIABLE.

    Everybody is concentrating on one forecast by one presenter on one news program by Met Eireann. One when the models were ambiguous. Then they mentioned snow on high ground.

    This "event" has been a non event. A few centimetres of wet on high ground in Cavan with no effect on travel ( because it is snow and freezing temperatures which causes problems. Not slush) notwithstanding.




  • Everybody is concentrating on one forecast by one presenter on one news program by Met Eireann. One when the models were ambiguous. Then they mentioned snow on high ground.

    This "event" has been a non event. A few centimetres of wet on high ground in Cavan with no effect on travel ( because it is snow and freezing temperatures which causes problems. Not slush) notwithstanding.

    I live in Wicklow and there was a hell of alot of snow so your statement is untrue! Sounds to me like you didn't get the snow you were hoping for! ;)




  • Jean , your the best! Small few flakes coming my way later. Service with a smile




  • A really superb forecast presentation again from Siobhan Ryan there at 930.
    she was able to explain and gently tell including using the word zonal,mentioned risk to cover whether a system would cross the south or not and give a little hope without raising it saying pointers to things settling down after the weekend.
    Lovely language and a joy to watch,a template if ever there was one on how to train new forecasters to use the time allotted with so much going on.
    10 out of ten.




  • whitebriar wrote: »
    A really superb forecast presentation again from Siobhan Ryan there at 930.
    she was able to explain and gently tell including using the word zonal,mentioned risk to cover whether a system would cross the south or not and give a little hope without raising it saying pointers to things settling down after the weekend.
    Lovely language and a joy to watch,a template if ever there was one on how to train new forecasters to use the time allotted with so much going on.
    10 out of ten.

    She's easy on the eye too WB.. She gets bonus points for that ;)




  • Just noticed the new warning system on met web site. Nicely laid out with a good description of what eqch colour represents.




  • odyboody wrote: »
    Just noticed the new warning system on met web site. Nicely laid out with a good description of what eqch colour represents.

    I wonder what type of weather warrants a "STATUS RED"?




  • Click on the link Explanation of new warning levels beside the warning.
    Good discription of what it means




  • odyboody wrote: »
    Click on the link Explanation of new warning levels beside the warning.
    Good discription of what it means

    Ah, I didn't read it throughly. Winter 2010 is definitely a status red - wouldn't be for central European countries, though.




  • Nice to see the new warning system in place, I of course take full credit for the change :P.
    Pangea wrote: »
    I think they should have a warning system for regions similar to the met office uks.


  • Advertisement


  • Ah, I didn't read it throughly. Winter 2010 is definitely a status red - wouldn't be for central European countries, though.

    To be fair it wouldn't, the snow was extensive and inconvenient but it didn't require specific action to protect life and/or property. Transport and water disruption and the odd lost gobsheen who went hill walking in deep snow were about the worst things to happen.




  • Larbre34 wrote: »
    To be fair it wouldn't, the snow was extensive and inconvenient but it didn't require specific action to protect life and/or property. Transport and water disruption and the odd lost gobsheen who went hill walking in deep snow were about the worst things to happen.

    Thats debatable, people could of done a few things to keep water pipes from freezing that time etc




  • Larbre34 wrote: »
    To be fair it wouldn't, the snow was extensive and inconvenient but it didn't require specific action to protect life and/or property. Transport and water disruption and the odd lost gobsheen who went hill walking in deep snow were about the worst things to happen.

    I totally agree with you. When I first read it: hurricanes, tornadoes and blizzards all came to mind, but read Met Eireann's definition of a severe weather warning:
    Weather Element Criteria for Red - Severe Weather Warnings

    1. Wind: Mean Speeds in excess of 80 km/h. Gusts Speeds in excess of 130 km/h
    2. Rain: 70mm or greater in 24 hrs. 50mm or greater in 12 hrs. 40mm or greater in 6 hrs
    3. Snow/Ice: Significant falls of snow likely to cause accumulations of 8 cm or greater below 250 m AMSL. Slippery paths and roads due to accumulation of ice on untreated surfaces; situation likely to worsen.
    4. Low Temperatures: Minima of minus 10C or lower expected. Maxima of minus 2C or lower expected.
    5. Fog: No Criterion – not displayed.
    6. High Temperature: As Orange criterion, but persisting for two or more consecutive nights.
    7. Thunderstorms: No Criterion – not displayed.
    8. Coastal Wind Warnings: Violent Storm Force 11 or greater. (Mean Speeds)

    There's a lot of 2010 in there.




  • Should be an interesting Farming forecast tomorrow, a nightmare to forecast I suppose.




  • Bump to this thread, might come in handy over the weekend.
    We should have some sort of competition as to which televised ME forecast will be the first to mention accumulations, or better yet the word snow :)




  • The farming on Sunday should be good.




  • a very informative forecast there from Gerry - "temperatures falling back into single figures" :confused:
    Temperatures where I am have been in single figures since February 16th!!




  • I deleted my post in the main thread as its more relevant here.Two contrasting radio one forecasts today
    Siobhan Ryan this morning-dusting of snow slight risk of disruption monday

    John Eagleton lunchtime - Cold easterly winds,temperature dropping well back.
    No mention of showers by him and no mention of snow,even in the sea area part where you'd think visibility would be important.


    Are met Eireann independent contractors now,do they talk to each other at all?

    This is all highly unprofessional,it seems to me,not alone for the inconsistency between the two,but also for what seems to be a complete brush over of what we(regular posters here) see in the models.
    If I'm wrong,I will admit it,but at present,this seems a valid criticism,I cannot understand their approach.

    I wouldn't be expecting them to use Mt craniums expectations/risk but for heavens sake...Could they at least be consistent in the message between forecasts and at this juncture inform the public in the east and south of the risk.




  • whitebriar wrote: »
    I deleted my post in the main thread as its more relevant here.Two contrasting radio one forecasts today
    Siobhan Ryan this morning-dusting of snow slight risk of disruption monday

    John Eagleton lunchtime - Cold easterly winds,temperature dropping well back.
    No mention of showers by him and no mention of snow,even in the sea area part where you'd think visibility would be important.


    Are met Eireann independent contractors now,do they talk to each other at all?

    This is all highly unprofessional,it seems to me,not alone for the inconsistency between the two,but also for what seems to be a complete brush over of what we(regular posters here) see in the models.
    If I'm wrong,I will admit it,but at present,this seems a valid criticism,I cannot understand their approach.

    I wouldn't be expecting them to use Mt craniums expectations/risk but for heavens sake...Could they at least be consistent in the message between forecasts and at this juncture inform the public in the east and south of the risk.
    My brother in law works in eircom ,he recived an e-mail stating distroutive weather from sunday night with sivere cold and liying snow,to have his van ready for the conditions ect. met eireann
    and some english companie issue the warning's for the companie.
    doesent sound like that in there forecast :confused:


  • Advertisement


  • a very informative forecast there from Gerry - "temperatures falling back into single figures" :confused:
    Temperatures where I am have been in single figures since February 16th!!

    Sure its been 12-13 Celsius in parts of the wesht according to Met Error


Advertisement