Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2013 *Discussion only. NO ticket sales/requests*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,748 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Also, I'm probably reading far too much into it but it's a bit odd they haven't posted any info about this on their Facebook page (which over 120,000 people like)..

Think the only reason they were responding to people on Twitter today was because of a Broadsheet post about a rumour that it wasn't going ahead next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 cherryjuice

its my first time going to a festival and I'm trying to decide between Electric Picnic and a few other ones (European probably). What makes makes EP so good, obviously the acts but I mean like atmosphere, crowd, other things to do etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,516 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

its my first time going to a festival and I'm trying to decide between Electric Picnic and a few other ones (European probably). What makes makes EP so good, obviously the acts but I mean like atmosphere, crowd, other things to do etc?

Maybe you should check some of blog reviews out there for this years festival, dont go to the normal newspaper reviews as they say the same old rubbish. Look at the Bestival reviews too as its a similar type of festival. EP for me is like what I reckon is a smaller concise Glastonbury covering all the different music niches with lots of after hours goings on in the forest too.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 cherryjuice

Maybe you should check some of blog reviews out there for this years festival, dont go to the normal newspaper reviews as they say the same old rubbish. Look at the Bestival reviews too as its a similar type of festival. EP for me is like what I reckon is a smaller concise Glastonbury covering all the different music niches with lots of after hours goings on in the forest too.

Thanks, I have checked out some blogs but was just wondering what people thought on here? Apart from the music, what is the crowd like?

Apparently early bird tickets won't go on sale until January 2013..They're telling people this on their fb page.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

just been on their page and can't see them saying that?

pretty shoddy if true, said 2 weeks ago they'd be onsale in the next week or 2, and i'm sure lots of people would be getting them for Xmas presents. lots of people won't have the moeny to spare in January either.

just been on their page and can't see them saying that?

pretty shoddy if true, said 2 weeks ago they'd be onsale in the next week or 2, and i'm sure lots of people would be getting them for Xmas presents. lots of people won't have the moeny to spare in January either.

If you click posts by others and scroll down, there's comments from EP to people's posts..

Yeah totally agree with you..

It's bad enough that they're postponing it to January but not letting people know properly (i.e through an announcement on their fb page/twitter/website) is very poor form imo. If anything it'll just add to the rumours that it's not happening this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

can't remember all other years (blame monday) but do they give any hints or announce anyone when the Early Bird tics are released?

didn't last year anyway, but that was in mid-November....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

really strange decision. If you know that you are going ahead, why miss out of the Christmas present market.

Only makes sense if
    a. You are still not 100% sure that you are running
    b. you cannot set the price because you have not confirmed venue or duration of the gig (2 day v 3 day)

I hope i'm wrong, but all of this is most strange

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,334 ✭✭✭✭fits

^ I agree.

really strange decision. If you know that you are going ahead, why miss out of the Christmas present market.

Only makes sense if
    a. You are still not 100% sure that you are running
    b. you cannot set the price because you have not confirmed venue or duration of the gig (2 day v 3 day)

I hope i'm wrong, but all of this is most strange

Yeah seems strange alright! They practically have people queuing up to hand over money for tickets and yet nothing before Christmas..

They keep telling people it's their 10th year so it'll be great but you'd think they'd have been organised enough to have early birds on sale before Christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Was just thinking it would be a good idea for a Christmas present only to find out that there's no word on tickets. Seems pretty shady and I wouldn't be surprised if there's problems behind the scenes.

Did it sell out last year?

Was just thinking it would be a good idea for a Christmas present only to find out that there's no word on tickets. Seems pretty shady and I wouldn't be surprised if there's problems behind the scenes.

Did it sell out last year?

Don't think so. Pretty sure it hasn't sold out the last few years..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Toast

The campsite felt way less jammed this year I thought. The Sunday was noticeably busier in the arena with daytrippers. I wonder if they are exploring the idea of doing day tickets for every day and changing the arena and updating the license for that might be whats delaying them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Toast wrote: »
    The campsite felt way less jammed this year I thought. The Sunday was noticeably busier in the arena with daytrippers. I wonder if they are exploring the idea of doing day tickets for every day and changing the arena and updating the license for that might be whats delaying them.

oh i hope not, it really ruins the buzz on Sunday i found.

I know more people = more money but it would be nice if they thought of the loyal picnicers who go year after year and put up with the camping. it levels everyone and by monday you all have that 1000 yard stare you can spot a mile away.

well the "loyal picnicers" have already put up with Sunday day tickets and increased capacity before, so I doubt they'll really care much about them if they wanted to introduce some Saturday day tickets too.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Thanks, I have checked out some blogs but was just wondering what people thought on here? Apart from the music, what is the crowd like?

steadily declining sadly, still heads and shoulders above oxegen, but tbh you would enjoy most uk or european festivals more

• Registered Users Posts: 6,417 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

steadily declining sadly, still heads and shoulders above oxegen, but tbh you would enjoy most uk or european festivals more

not sure if I would enjoy other festivals any better. There is something about EP, the setting, the people, magical.
    But seriously, as we enter 2013 and nothing from the promoters...is it time to get worried yet?

Happy New Year to All!

Not really, rumours start floating about February and then the first announcement happens around the middle of March or thereabouts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Eroticplants

Smashing Pumpkins and The Knife are a possibility.
    Could you imagine? *swoon*

not sure if I would enjoy other festivals any better. There is something about EP, the setting, the people, magical.
    But seriously, as we enter 2013 and nothing from the promoters...is it time to get worried yet?

Happy New Year to All!
    they've been replying to people on fb/twitter every now and again. seems like they didn't have things* ready in time to announce ticket details before Xmas, so they said they'll now be onsale in January.
    *what they need beyond prices and date i don't know, especially as it will almost certainly be Aug 30th-Sep 1st.

i'm wondering if, with MCD going to announce Longitude in competition to Body&Soul festival, maybe POD are putting more of their efforts into getting B&S announced and acts booked before putting much effort into EP....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Happy New Year to All!

Have you tried Bestival?

I was one of the many who used to love EP, and everything about it. I stopped after the shambles a few years ago, and i did promise myself never to return again. I have since started to reconsider. I have gone to Bestival the last two years.
    The crowds at all those gigs are always amazing. But Bestival just "does it" for me. Love it. Also the price doesn't work out much different. Beer and food etc, bought over there. Admittedly the travelling adds to the price, but i think we got it last year for €79 (All in) return.
    I will definitely be going again this year.

Incidentally, Vendors applications haven't even opened yet for EP 2013. I thought they were normally done by November?

http://entertainment.ie/music/news/Electric-Picnic-rumours-are-false-Its-still-happening/154019.htm

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Happy New Year to All!

I assure you there is better out there, if you think EP is magical... you'll be blown away by some of the UK ones

Ep replied to someone on their fb saying: ''I can't give you an exact date as i dont have one. Early 2013 is what we have up on the website and is what we've been replying to every post. We are not back to work until next week so nothing will happen before then. Happy 2013! As soon as we get news we will announce it.''

This waiting lark is getting annoying!

The Knife is releasing an new album in April and a promise of some European shows, they would be tailor made for the Electric Arena. http://theknife.net/?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Shaking+The+Habitual&utm_source=YMLP&utm_term=6h5w_teaservideoimage.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

I'd absolutely love if The Knife play! they're definitely one of my favourite acts. Fever Ray was immense a couple of years back. Would Love Aphex Twin too ( about time ) and Soap&Skin, her live shows are amazing but also devastating.

Too much talk about Oxegen, lets talk about the Picnic.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭grudgehugger

Fri: Nick Cave
    Sat: Radiohead then Daft Punk
    Sun: David Bowie

I reckon each of these four is possible but all four is dreamland only....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Fri: Nick Cave
    Sat: Radiohead then Daft Punk
    Sun: David Bowie

I reckon each of these four is possible but all four is dreamland only....

Feck! for one beautiful second I thought that was official. Nick Cave be the most likely of that lot IMO.

Advertisement