Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2013 *Discussion only. NO ticket sales/requests*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,895 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Fri: Nick Cave
    Sat: Radiohead then Daft Punk
    Sun: David Bowie

I reckon each of these four is possible but all four is dreamland only....

Daft Punk are not touring this year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

That's not certain. There's rumours they're doing Coachella

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,895 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Synode wrote: »
    That's not certain. There's rumours they're doing Coachella
    Daft Punk are reportedly not planning to tour or play live at all in 2013, according to Bestival organiser Rob da Bank.

The French duo have been linked to headline slots at both Glastonbury and Coachella by fans eager to see their live show.

However, speaking to eFestivals, Rob Da Bank stated that he was told through official channels that Daft Punk will not be appearing live at all this year.

He said: "There's all kinds of crazy rumours flying about at the moment about Daft Punk at Coachella, and The Rolling Stones playing Glastonbury. We got told months ago that Daft Punk were definitely not touring next year, but it keeps the rumour mill going."

from nme.com

I'm still hopeful. It will depend on how they are progressing with the new album.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Synode wrote: »
    I'm still hopeful. It will depend on how they are progressing with the new album.

I dont think EP would really be their bag festival wise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭maximoose

Mew doing festival dates in July and August. EP, sign them up and I will love you forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭electrobanana

Rob da Bank said on twitter last night that he didn't say Daft Punk will not be touring he said there's one festival they wont be doing ie Gastonbury..so you never know but i doubt it myself

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

If we are talking of a dream act to play. My pick would be Crosby, Stills & Nash. They are in Europe in July so maybe they will be still around to pop over to Stradbally.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Plenty of rumours to suggest otherwise.

We'll find out on the 23rd.

lordgoat wrote: »
    Plenty of rumours to suggest otherwise.

We'll find out on the 23rd.

What's on the 23rd?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 gavatron06

Smashing Pumpkins and The Knife are a possibility.
    Could you imagine? *swoon*

" Jizz in my pants!...."""

• Registered Users Posts: 3 gavatron06

Love the EP, would be devastated if it didn't happen:(. Although I did hear 2013 dates would be Fri30/sat31/sun1. Same dates as trader application (still unconfirmed)

http://www.vscevents.ie/content/electric-picnic-2013

One MAJOR gripe!! can EP please sort out the F**KING sound engineers particularly in the tents!!! every year the same crap. Ben Howard was one of the 2012 highlights, but plagued by squealing feed back throughout!! one of many examples:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,686 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

gavatron06 wrote: »
    Love the EP, would be devastated if it didn't happen:(. Although I did hear 2013 dates would be Fri30/sat31/sun1. Same dates as trader application (still unconfirmed)

http://www.vscevents.ie/content/electric-picnic-2013

One MAJOR gripe!! can EP please sort out the F**KING sound engineers particularly in the tents!!! every year the same crap. Ben Howard was one of the 2012 highlights, but plagued by squealing feed back throughout!! one of many examples:mad:

Totally agree about the sounds in the tent..The other annoying thing was the sound spill over from other stages meant any quietish acts were almost drowned out.

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭grudgehugger

Re the 23rd, I assume this is a reference to the line-up for Primavera Sound being released as that's happening then.

Am going to that - would love to see Daft Punk there and at Electric Picnic!!!

While I'm at it, I'm really starting to worry that EP won't happen this year - can anyone offer some reassurances on that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭Toast

No one knows. When Oxegen wasn't confirmed to be done last year there was a lot of noise from various people saying it would definitely happen and then it didn't. The obviously had issues selling tickets last year and that was a no Glastonbury and no Oxegen year when they could have hoped to get some business from the slack. At this point my guess is they are waiting to see what MCD announce in terms of the Latitude/Longitude festival and make a judgment on how much business they are likely to lose to that.

While I'm at it, I'm really starting to worry that EP won't happen this year - can anyone offer some reassurances on that?

They're constantly replying to people on Facebook saying it will..But at the same time all they say is details are coming soon so not exactly reassuring.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

it's still 8 months away.

Forbidden Fruit (another POD event) has been on the first weekend in June for the last 2 years and didn't get announced until Feb/March in 2011/2012.

Toast wrote: »
    No one knows. When Oxegen wasn't confirmed to be done last year there was a lot of noise from various people saying it would definitely happen and then it didn't. The obviously had issues selling tickets last year and that was a no Glastonbury and no Oxegen year when they could have hoped to get some business from the slack. At this point my guess is they are waiting to see what MCD announce in terms of the Latitude/Longitude festival and make a judgment on how much business they are likely to lose to that.
    i doubt that tbh. aside from MCD having an interest in EP anyway, they bookers from POD will already be well aware of who's signed up for Longitude and what the details are regarding it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭Toast

Doh I keep forgetting that. Yeah I guess they know what the situation is. I really wonder if there is a market for both is all. Leaving both so late to announce is a really odd move.

• Advertisement

it's still 8 months away.

Forbidden Fruit (another POD event) has been on the first weekend in June for the last 2 years and didn't get announced until Feb/March in 2011/2012.

But don't EP early bird tickets usually go on sale in November?

Not saying that it won't go ahead or anything but the delay is sorta concerning.

Eod100 wrote: »
    But don't EP early bird tickets usually go on sale in November?

Not saying that it won't go ahead or anything but the delay is sorta concerning.
    I wouldn't be surprised if POD were putting all their efforts into getting their acts finalised for FF/Body and Soul and getting their lineup announcement out ahead of Longitude.

i agree though, they surely have Stradbally Estate provisionally booked for the last week of August/1st week of September (quite possibly have a X year lease), so it should presumably be fairly straight forward to start selling tickets. the delay doesn't really make any sense, surely they'd be better off shifting tickets now than leaving themselves less time...

Toast wrote: »
    Doh I keep forgetting that. Yeah I guess they know what the situation is. I really wonder if there is a market for both is all. Leaving both so late to announce is a really odd move.
    agreed, i think Longitude really puts the cat amongst the pigeons. obviously MCD want a slice of the "boutique" festival market, but there's a limited audience really IMO, could see several festivals struggling to get the crowds this summer...
    a lot of it will probably come down to who MCD have booked for Longitude, Body&Soul could be a bigger loser than EP i reckon.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

agreed, i think Longitude really puts the cat amongst the pigeons. obviously MCD want a slice of the "boutique" festival market, but there's a limited audience really IMO, could see several festivals struggling to get the crowds this summer...
    a lot of it will probably come down to who MCD have booked for Longitude, Body&Soul could be a bigger loser than EP i reckon.

MCD do Electric Picnic, its all the same money pot pretty much now - well festival republic and MCD and pretty much the same company, so I wouldnt be surprised to see EP getting phased out while it still had a shred of dignity about it, move the crowd onto Longitude, and scrap Oxegen and focus on one boutique with EP style acts and move the dance and pop onto a move day festival buzz in the parks around dublin

MCD do Electric Picnic, its all the same money pot pretty much now - well festival republic and MCD and pretty much the same company, so I wouldnt be surprised to see EP getting phased out while it still had a shred of dignity about it, move the crowd onto Longitude, and scrap Oxegen and focus on one boutique with EP style acts and move the dance and pop onto a move day festival buzz in the parks around dublin
    no, EP is owned by POD and Festival Republic, and MCD have a 49.9% stake in the latter, so they definitely have a minority stake in EP.

it would make zero sense to wind-up a fairly successful venture like EP in the hope of moving people to a completely new festival in July anyway.

no, EP is owned by POD and Festival Republic, and MCD have a 49.9% stake in the latter, so they definitely have a minority stake in EP.

it would make zero sense to wind-up a fairly successful venture like EP in the hope of moving people to a completely new festival in July anyway.

POD have a greatly reduced stake in the running of the festival in recent years FR is gradually taking it over I think, you can see that in the ways its being run last few years, moving slowly away from boutique to a more FR style festival like Big Chill IMO. Sales have been slipping for EP and they have been forced (like in the beginning with Oxegen) to shrink the campsites to give the illusion its fuller than it is, the whole festival scene needs a shake up over here and SHM might have been the poke it needed

I'm sure I seen somewhere that they took a 10 year lease out on Stradbally and that this is the 10th year.

Horrible Thought of the Morning:

Donal Dineen @ Body and Soul on Friday nights has been a highlight of the last few picnics for me. He's played there for years at that time, I only saw him in '11 and '12 though.

Last year he said/implied that this was going to be his last time doing it.

My "Horrible Thought" is did he know that it probably wouldn't happen in 2013 and that's why he said his goodbyes?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,402 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Horrible Thought of the Morning:

Donal Dineen @ Body and Soul on Friday nights has been a highlight of the last few picnics for me. He's played there for years at that time, I only saw him in '11 and '12 though.

Last year he said/implied that this was going to be his last time doing it.

My "Horrible Thought" is did he know that it probably wouldn't happen in 2013 and that's why he said his goodbyes?

way too vague and you're looking way too deep into this. Time will tell what the heck is going on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭maximoose

Have just been told by my yearly free ticket provider that he has it "on good authority" that it's not going ahead this year.

I hope he's wrong.

Advertisement