Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fair City [News, Spoilers and Discussion v2]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85,425 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

http://www.thesun.co.uk/irishsol/homepage/news/4731680/Fair-Citys-Jean-on-leaving-soap-Ill-miss-my-palsand-the-money.html

FAIR City fans will see real tears shed when Carrigstown stalwart Rita Doyle is laid to rest this week.

News that the long-suffering wife and ma has died of a stroke in a nursing home leaves Bela’s brood devastated.
    But the stars of the popular RTE soap yesterday told how saying goodbye to an actress they had all come to think of as real family was heart-rending.
    And Jean Costello, who has played Rita for the past 23 years, admitted she will have a big gap to fill when she wakes up to life after Fair City — and its payslips.
    Like her character, Jean has also suffered from ill-health, bouncing back from two strokes of her own and a battle with cancer.
    Now on the mend, she is looking forward to the future, but confesses that it is unlikely to be with the national broadcaster.
    Asked about her plans, Jean said: “I’ll try other things. It won’t be RTE. I’d love to do theatre again. I’ll miss the money from Fair City, though. It was 23 years on a good week’s wages.”
    And Jean, who filmed her final scenes for the soap in 2010, joked she would consider a shock return to Carrigstown.
    She smiled: “I feel proud of the show, but I was getting sick at the time and I had to get out. I might be back.
    “Jean Costello can come back, not Rita. I could be Rita Doyle’s sister.”
    Yesterday the veteran star was reunited with her on-screen ex Bela, played by Jim Bartley. Sarah Flood, Ciara O’Callaghan and Niall O’Shea — who played her kids Suzanne, Yvonne and Darren — and newcomer Leah Egan, who joins the soap as youngest daughter Louise, were also on hand.
    And they revealed how filming this week’s funeral scenes proved a tough task.
    Ciara explained: “It was very emotional for us the fact that Jean’s character was being buried. For all of us, being so close to Jean, it was very tough. A lot of the emotion, the tears you’ll see, is real.”
    Sarah added: “The funeral scenes were very upsetting.
    “The cast really are like your second family. It’s been very hard without Jean. The public will miss her because she’s like the Irish mammy.”
    Meanwhile, Jean fondly recalled her time on the show, including her famous rows with philandering Bela.
    On her best scenes, she said: “I had a few funny ones and a few that were a bit dirty. In the bed... Jimmy loved the bed, didn’t he?”
    Jim, who also had health problems in recent years, added: “We worked together for years, we worked very well, but things happen along the way for different reasons.
    “I was struck by illness as well the year before last with a near catastrophic stroke and Jean, she won’t mind me saying, she’s been through the mill.”
    But brave Jean told how she is feeling stronger again after a tough couple of years.
    She said: “I am feeling better. I have my health back. I just want a bit of fat back now.”

• Registered Users Posts: 7,987 ✭✭✭Hitchens

Meangadh wrote: »

Secondly, she is far from horribly ugly. You mightn't be attracted to her, but "horribly ugly" is in no way true.

She is a very attractive young woman, who happens to be playing the part of 'the other woman', which in life tends to have negative connotations for a lot of people, and so, likewise in art.

I wouldn't mind her shoes under my bed! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Long Room Hubba

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    She said: “I just want a bit of fat back now.”

She's in the right place.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭tonyclifton

Geri Male wrote: »
    The actress who plays the horribly ugly Maeve is on Facebook. Should I post up the link or is inappropriate?

Why not post a picture of yourself and we can all judge you and make comments On your appearance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

just seen there that Bob Charles is doing a prog on the tenements on tv3 tonight if anyone interested

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 401 ✭✭Leinsterr

They said that we would be in tears over Rita's death. Honestly, I couldn't give a shít

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭wordsmithi

One member of the family doesn't even bother to turn up at the mother's funeral. Very strange imho. Sorry to see that the actress who played Rita suffered such awful health problems in her life. Very tough times for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Meangadh

Blackie is seriously creepy at this stage, lurking everywhere!

• Site Banned Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭Silvio.Dante

Why was the new Louise laughing when she saw Bella? I must admit his attemp tat crying was quite comical...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

When Caoimhe asked Tommy and Judith if they decided what they're going to have I half expected Judith to say "Luke".

• Advertisement

I don't think it is really going to affect viewers really. Fans of the show are so used to Rita not in the show for such a long time. It shouldn't have gone on too long. What is the difference really to people????. A few of the Doyle family members are gone for a good while too. I'm not so impressed with the weak way the whole thing has been done.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭laylag

Terrible acting from Bella so far...and are ye really supposed to believe that's Louise? Couldn't be more unlike the actress that played her before!

laylag wrote: »
    Terrible acting from Bella so far...and are ye really supposed to believe that's Louise? Couldn't be more unlike the actress that played her before!

head transplant :D

Another poorly thought out plot! lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Cathyht

Meangadh wrote: »
    Firstly, how the hell would you think that that would be in ANY way appropriate? Seriously?

Secondly, she is far from horribly ugly. You mightn't be attracted to her, but "horribly ugly" is in no way true.

I'm sure she is a lovely person, but in truth she's a bit of a fright. But hey, it is a reality show and they're mostly ordinary enough looking. Neasa is about the best.

The Dillon's are an episode of Jeremy Kyle waiting to happen...

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭peewee_44

Who the feck would want Luke over Tommy, affairs aside :)

Jeapers. Louise has changed alot! Didn't recognise her at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,539 ✭✭✭baldbear

Aghhh jaysus some shocking acting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

wordsmithi wrote: »
    Jeapers. Louise has changed alot! Didn't recognise her at all!

And as for the wooden yoke of a boyfriend she tagged along :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭a0ifee

the storyline with the dillons is the weirdest one yet..

and louise's boyfriend has been on screen for 10 minutes and he's a pain! Also I'm impressed at how fast they arrived from australia..

why do I watch this show again? :P

I think I prefer the version of the parting glass from waking ned. Sorry Leo.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭peewee_44

This episode is really putting me off me dinner

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Meangadh

Why was the new Louise laughing when she saw Bella? I must admit his attemp tat crying was quite comical...:D

It was SO bad!! Hilarious!

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Shamrock21

Hon the Leo!!!

very atmospheric there with Leo singing :)

Poor tommy...felt very sorry for him. Leo did a good rendition of that song...actually a good decent ending to the episode!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

theres almost too much to comment on from tonights episode

and just as I was typing Leo starts singing... thats all folks I just cant bring myself to type more :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

The last five minutes was very moving.

The first 25 minutes was very amusing (as usual).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 averageperson

Oh Leo, put a sock in it...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement