Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dr Ferrari's Camper Van (off-topic discussion)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

colm_gti wrote: »
    SRAM, no longer catering for people with freakishly small hands....

for price of SRAM surely a range of sizes are justified to customers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Saw a woman today driving a soft-top sports car. The car's roof was down to accommodate the large Christmas tree in the passenger seat. No sign of a seatbelt on the tree, shockingly, the RSA will hear of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭buffalo

Anyone any tips for finding a slow puncture? Tried for a while by listening and feel last night, couldn't find it anywhere, so took a chance and replaced the tube. Tyre looked soft again this morning, though now I'm trying to remember how much I inflated it... next stop: the bath!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

doozerie wrote: »
    Saw a woman today driving a soft-top sports car. The car's roof was down to accommodate the large Christmas tree in the passenger seat. No sign of a seatbelt on the tree, shockingly, the RSA will hear of this.

I dragged my Christmas tree off the back of my bike with a bungee cord. Like a boss.

Fortunately there are off-road cycle tracks between my house and the nearest tip, not sure it would have been a great idea on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

buffalo wrote: »
    Anyone any tips for finding a slow puncture? Tried for a while by listening and feel last night, couldn't find it anywhere, so took a chance and replaced the tube. Tyre looked soft again this morning, though now I'm trying to remember how much I inflated it... next stop: the bath!
    By feel, try run the tube past your lips or your eyes. Far more sensitive to tiny air currents than your calloused hands. You do look a bit silly, but it's worked a few times for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

seamus wrote: »
    By feel, try run the tube past your lips or your eyes. Far more sensitive to tiny air currents than your calloused hands. You do look a bit silly, but it's worked a few times for me.

Also the sink. With a really slow puncture you might see only one bubble per second or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭buffalo

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Also the sink. With a really slow puncture you might see only one bubble per second or so.

Yeah, I'll break out the basin I reckon. Just a pain in the hoop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

doozerie wrote: »

My sister was driving to work many years ago in her mini (car, not skirt) when a Christmas tree fell off a lorry, came through her windscreen and ended up in the passenger seat. My dad was delighted not to have to fork out for a Christmas tree that year.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

My commuter's back wheel fairly suddenly started sounding like an old wheelbarrow yesterday, took it off for a good look today and I'm fairly sure the noise is coming from the axle or bearings...anybody have any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

My commuter's back wheel fairly suddenly started sounding like an old wheelbarrow yesterday, took it off for a good look today and I'm fairly sure the noise is coming from the axle or bearings...anybody have any suggestions?

Time for a new bike. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

Bit the bullet, signed up for a club licence.

If the thought of pissing €60 down the drain doesn't inspire to take part in at least two races, nothing will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

If the thought of pissing €60 down the drain doesn't inspire to take part in at least two races, nothing will.

On a similar note, just got approved for the A3 upgrade....better start training properly ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

On a similar note, just got approved for the A3 upgrade....better start training properly ;)

ill miss you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

Don't forget about the league administration fee too!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭Ryath

You could pay €125 for a Full Comp licence I hoping that inspires me. Club races I will make most are less than 20k away and I often cycle to so I'm only gone for 2-3 hours. Open races are more effort to get to and usually require an hours drive and I'm gone for half the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

Ryath wrote: »

You could pay €125 for a Full Comp licence I hoping that inspires me. Club races I will make most are less than 20k away and I often cycle to so I'm only gone for 2-3 hours. Open races are more effort to get to and usually require an hours drive and I'm gone for half the day.

Cycle faster so. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭Ryath

Lusk Doyle wrote: »
    Cycle faster so. :P

That's the plan:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

One down. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭Plastik

Great news Colm! I'll have someone to talk to down the back :)

• Advertisement

Now that we've got the racing talk going, what the hell are Semi-Limit, Limit, Semi-Scratch and Scratch and how do they affect the way the races are run?

I understand that they're some kind of skill groupings but are they categories like A1, A2, etc, or are they handicaps like in golf?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

Now that we've got the racing talk going, what the hell are Semi-Limit, Limit, Semi-Scratch and Scratch and how do they affect the way the races are run?

Here ya go.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=70691075

Either my winter training is going far better than expected, or SRAM singlespeed chains are sh1te....

I snapped a link taking off from a set of lights at the bottom of Camden St. while taking part in a spot of commuter racing this evening, the link was ruined and to make matters worse my front light popped off with the jerk when chain snapped. I hopped off the bike and went to get it, and just as I got to it some whooer ran over it and it became a bazillion pieces :( Luckily I was a 2 second walk from a bike shop, so got it fixed there and then (must remember to keep spare links from SS chain with me in future!). Cycling down the N2 in the pitch dark was interesting....

....and worst of all, I was winning the commuter race when it happened :o

Any recommendations for a good singlespeed chain?

PS. The above chain was only 2 months/1100km old!

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭G rock

kmc do good 'uns. Have had no problems with mine, and ran one in particular for ages

G rock wrote: »
    kmc do good 'uns. Have had no problems with mine, and ran one in particular for ages

Do you know which model it was by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭G rock

Do you know which model it was by any chance?

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/CHKMZ510N/kmc_z510_gold_single_speed_chain

Yep, it's gold....but only four quid!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 High Rouleur

In relation to query on slow puncture Try strong mix of washing up liquid and water on a j cloth or similar. Run this around the tyre/tube. Bubbles should quickly appear at the leak (even with slow puncture)

Lumen wrote: »
    I dragged my Christmas tree off the back of my bike with a bungee cord.

Did you sing the lumberjack song? I hope you sang the lumberjack song.

Best way to check the state of the hub bearings is to remove the wheel from the frame, hold the wheel, and turn the axle by hand. You should feel any roughness which would indicate that the bearings need maintenance or replacement. While the wheel is mounted in the frame it is almost impossible to detect roughness in the bearings.

• Advertisement

Any recommendations for a good singlespeed chain?

I've found Wipperman Connext 808 (8 speed) chains to work well on my singlespeed. I'm never likely to snap a chain but I believe these have a reputation for being durable and they seem to resist rust well (so far).

I've read of SRAM chains snapping before but there are so many possible causes for a chain snapping that it's impossible to know whether that is really a fair reflection of (some) SRAM chains in general. Might be worth checking your chainline for any misalignment there that could be contributing to the problem.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement