Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dr Ferrari's Camper Van (off-topic discussion)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

doozerie wrote: »
    Best way to check the state of the hub bearings is to remove the wheel from the frame, hold the wheel, and turn the axle by hand. You should feel any roughness which would indicate that the bearings need maintenance or replacement. While the wheel is mounted in the frame it is almost impossible to detect roughness in the bearings.

I did exactly this actually! Definite rough feeling, so I had suspected bearings. Thanks Doozerie, I will investigate what's involved in changing bearings tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

colm_gti wrote: »
    Any recommendations for a good singlespeed chain?
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=25433

Expensive for a SS chain but utterly bombproof. Had serious problems with chain stretch on the cheap chain I first fitted to the SS, completely killed it in about 3 months of riding. Fitted that one though and it stayed solid, I never once had to readjust anything after I fitted it.

I still have it and I'll give it to you for free, but it does have about 2,500km on it, so for the sake of €12 you might prefer a new one.

Also back in the day a friend of mine was sick of stretched chains and fitted a Honda 50 chain to his BMX. It worked, but damn was it heavy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

doozerie wrote: »
    I've found Wipperman Connext 808 (8 speed) chains to work well on my singlespeed. I'm never likely to snap a chain but I believe these have a reputation for being durable and they seem to resist rust well (so far).

I've read of SRAM chains snapping before but there are so many possible causes for a chain snapping that it's impossible to know whether that is really a fair reflection of (some) SRAM chains in general. Might be worth checking your chainline for any misalignment there that could be contributing to the problem.

Chainline is spot on, made sure to buy a tried and tested combination of BB, chainset and rear wheel that gives a 42mm chainline on a pompino frame :(
    seamus wrote: »
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=25433

Expensive for a SS chain but utterly bombproof. Had serious problems with chain stretch on the cheap chain I first fitted to the SS, completely killed it in about 3 months of riding. Fitted that one though and it stayed solid, I never once had to readjust anything after I fitted it.

I still have it and I'll give it to you for free, but it does have about 2,500km on it, so for the sake of €12 you might prefer a new one.

Also back in the day a friend of mine was sick of stretched chains and fitted a Honda 50 chain to his BMX. It worked, but damn was it heavy.

Perfect, that's exactly the trick, if you got 2500km out of it, that should see me til March, which would be ideal. I don't mind the €12 if it's reliable :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Actually, it was still going strong when I took it off, I only removed it to convert back to 8 speed. It would easily do another 2,500km without flinching I reckon.

seamus wrote: »
    Actually, it was still going strong when I took it off, I only removed it to convert back to 8 speed. It would easily do another 2,500km without flinching I reckon.

Perfect! I think though, for the sake of €12 I may as well just throw a new chain onto it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

Scraped myself out of bed at 6.20 this morning to do a pre-work turbo session. My good lady wife had just gone for a run. 5 minutes into my warm up, I hear the kitchen door and child number 4 comes in having pooped his pants in bed. By the time I had him and the bed sorted, it wasn't worth starting again. That's the last time I'm letting him go on the lash.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

No, you are wrong to blame the kid.
    I suggest Mrs Man has a better sense of smell than you, and dodged out into the dawn, leaving you holding the baby.
    You will spend your life being outfoxed, get used to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Today I sucessfully managed to pretend to give a fook in work several times until I got back to the office for the boss to ask me 'Eh.. Where were you yesterday'
    To which I replied 'A day off.Remember the conversation we had 10 days ago and you saying 'Fri wasnt great to take off but Monday looks ok'.?!?
    and agreeing that I could have Mon off'
    Boss: 'Well you never offically put in for it so you are down a days pay'
    I then sucessfully managed to really not give a fook.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

bcmf wrote: »
    Today I sucessfully managed to pretend to give a fook in work several times until I got back to the office for the boss to ask me 'Eh.. Where were you yesterday'
    To which I replied 'A day off.Remember the conversation we had 10 days ago and you saying 'Fri wasnt great to take off but Monday looks ok'.?!?
    and agreeing that I could have Mon off'
    Boss: 'Well you never offically put in for it so you are down a days pay'
    I then sucessfully managed to really not give a fook.

You're on a fast track to upper management. Have you seen Office Space?

You're on a fast track to upper management. Have you seen Office Space?
    No. Anygood. YouTube availability.

• Advertisement

Meh, I thought it was OK, some funny bits but not amazing. Worth a watch. I think I watched it on NetFlix actually.

Today on the way home, I was stuck in traffic barely moving for bloody ages. So frustrating not being able to cycle but I should be back on the bike soon.

ah its a good movie about not giving a sh!t about work. worth a view IMO. not an oscar winner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Office Space is a classic.

His other ones are good too: Idiocracy and Extract.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,956 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I was stopped at the lights on the bike this morning when that idiot drove in front of the Luas. Dramatic stuff unfolded metres from my eyes!

I feel kinda bad that I didn't go to the aid of the injured but to be honest I was worried my bike might get nicked in the meantime! :o

I was stopped at the lights on the bike this morning when that idiot drove in front of the Luas. Dramatic stuff unfolded metres from my eyes!

I feel kinda bad that I didn't go to the aid of the injured but to be honest I was worried my bike might get nicked in the meantime! :o

If you're thick enough to ignore/race red lights then you deserve to be hit by a luas...imagine if they had hit a cyclist/pedestrian that was crossing there....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

ah its a good movie about not giving a sh!t about work. worth a view IMO. not an oscar winner.

Classic film. Unfortunately, when it became clear my company was going to the wall about two years ago, I turned into Milton rather than Peter:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Matt Brammeier has signed for Champion Systems, nice jersey:

Brammeier-Team-Champion-System.jpg

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭CaoimH_in

???

Trolling?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

ror_74 wrote: »
    Office Space is a classic.

His other ones are good too: Idiocracy and Extract.
    I'll be the laughing stock of the Melodic Grindcore community!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I often think of a quote from Idiocracy when returning from yet another disappointing movie. In the future, IQ has dropped so low that a wildly popular movie consists of nothing more than a close-up of a pair of buttocks breaking wind. The hero of Idiocracy, an Everyman from the twentieth century who has been stranded in the future, makes an impassioned speech about his own time: "People wrote books and movies, movies that had stories so you cared whose ass it was and why it was farting! "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Critical review of Extract :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭buffalo

Care to share what happened? Just because after the last Luas vs Bus on O'Connell St, it turned out the bus was at fault. This driver just chanced his arm (car) and didn't make it? Or didn't see the red light?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Plastik

buffalo wrote: »

Care to share what happened? Just because after the last Luas vs Bus on O'Connell St, it turned out the bus was at fault. This driver just chanced his arm (car) and didn't make it? Or didn't see the red light?

I thought that the last one ended up with the blame on the luas driver? Vaguely remember the court case on the news.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭buffalo

Plastik wrote: »
    I thought that the last one ended up with the blame on the luas driver? Vaguely remember the court case on the news.

I must be drunker than I thought. Yes, the Luas was at fault. I sleep now.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

tumblr_mfytj9ONXB1qb43kyo1_1280.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Bit of an erotic theme going on there.....
    tumblr_mfytj9ONXB1qb43kyo1_1280.jpg

tomasrojo wrote: »

That's a great line! I've never seen Extract. I actually like Grindcore but only on very specific occasions, nothing beats a bit of Pig Destroyer in a traffic jam.

Another movie to watch if you hate your job/life is Visioneers.
    http://youtu.be/2yjL275BZok

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

Matt Brammeier has signed for Champion Systems, nice jersey:

Brammeier-Team-Champion-System.jpg

He looks like he could be related to Ian Poulter.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement