Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Different race types DMS, CP?

Options
  • 16-02-2011 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭

Looking at the IVCA calander, what's the difference between a DMS and a CP race type? I assume TT means time trial?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

DMS = Divided mass start
    CP = chase pursuit

DMS is where you race against your own cat
    CP is where your cat has a headstart or handicap.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

DMS is Divided Mass Start. Each handicap group essentially has its own race.

CP is a handicapped race. Weakest group goes off first, followed by the next strongest group and so on. The handicap you get is determined usually by the length of the race.

Too slow, slow boy.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,990 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Just to add a bit - the IVCA have 6 ability categories. In CP's each category goes off in turn, with scratch last, and first from all 6 categories wins (ie one winner)

The DMS races are actually 3 races in one. The fastest 2 categories start first, then the next 2 and finally the slowest 2, with three winners in total. Additional points are then awarded within each of the 6 categories (so the fastest semi-scratch rider in the scratch/semi scratch race will get bonus points (assuming ther are scratch riders ahead of him/her))

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭C3PO

Thanks Guys!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭victorcarrera

RPL1 wrote: »
    what's the difference between a DMS and a CP race type?

Ride a DMS like a CP and you will definitely loose.
    Ride a CP like a DMS and you will probably win.;)

Ride a CP like a DMS and you will probably win.;)

Unclean!

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Keep_Her_Lit

[SIZE=-1]The CP's might offer an easier introduction to racing, since the pace tends to be well controlled for most of the race, with the group you're in working together to catch the group in front and stay ahead of the group behind (where applicable). Often you'll get 8 to 12 lads doing the lion's share of the work up front, with everyone else just sitting on, only working hard enough to stay in touch. That's not necessarily a bad thing, since if you're taking pulls at the front, you have the option of dropping back for a while if you need a breather. However, this predictability can make CP's a bit dull at times, with some turning out to be little different from a fast group training spin.

That said, things can change quite dramatically if the organisers get the handicapping right, as they very often do, and all the groups converge within a few km of the finish. Despite having a few km to go, even riders in the slower groups still have a chance to contest the finish. The bunch is now much larger and denser, so that wind resistance becomes negligible once you're more than 6 or 8 riders back from the front. So the pace for most riders quickens considerably. On courses with narrower roads, things can get fairly hairy in the final km or so, as riders continuously push through from behind to position themselves for the sprint. And there are some fine big lads among the Vets who can churn out real crank bending acceleration in the last couple of hundred metres. Beware!

The DMS is a different animal altogether. There is no reason to work together as a group, since you are neither chasing nor being chased. So the attacks can come early and often. If you are in the correct group for your ability, a lively DMS will provide a real test of your race fitness. If the repeated attacks succeed in breaking up the bunch, there is no way you will be among the leading 4 or 6 at the finish unless you are in good race shape. I prefer the DMS's because they are true races from start to finish. You need to think much more about what other riders are doing and, if you're feeling confident, you can launch an attack of you're own. Mind you, unless you're exceptionally strong (or in the wrong group), you're unlikely to succeed on your own. The best scenario is if 3 or 4 other riders quickly bridge across and you all start working together immediately. You can then trash your alliance a few km from the finish and start attacking each other, assuming that the chasing bunch is a safe distance behind. The sprint finishes also tend to be safer in the DMS's, since there are fewer riders contesting them. BTW, I've only ridden a handful of Vets races and never won one - so this is as much wishful thinking on my part as actual experience!

If you're an able climber, you might find it hard to play your strengths on the Vets courses, as few of them include significant climbs. There is, however, a dedicated hill climb event at the close of each season, so you can always strive to make your mark there.

One thing that caught me out as a Vets newbie was the stated (on-line) vs. actual distance of the race. There was I, not having previously ridden the course in question and thinking we had more than 10km to go, when suddenly a load of riders start coming past at a shocking rate of knots. Then, way too late, I see your man up ahead standing at the side of the road with the flag in his hand. Best advice is to chat to a couple of regulars before the race and find out how many laps you are doing and where the finish is; it isn't always on the circuit.

Overall, I have a very positive view of the Vets races. They are pretty well run and there's a friendly, relaxed atmosphere around them. Provided you have no trouble hauling yourself out of bed bright and early on a Sunday morning, I'm sure you will enjoy them. Good luck![/SIZE]

Advertisement