Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Does my bum look big in this squat rack?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

This

Notes:
    - Hit and exceeded any goals I had for the comp
    - Can't believe how quick the 140kg bench was. I expected to miss it TBH but now I'm annoyed I missed the 150kg. It was definitely in me.
    - Now offically a stronger sumo puller than a convo. Think I'm only training it specifically for 6-9 months and my initial max was 225kg. Excited about my sumos for next year.
    - COH is a very intense individual. Think he took a bite out of the bar on his 290kg squat attempt.

Thanks to everyone who was there to support and who deals with my general sh1t all the time. Next few weeks is about fat loss. Expect a RevFit TV, Radio and Outdoor campaign in relation to same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Pavel66

Brilliant stuff Kev - particularly impressed with the 270 squat!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

kevpants wrote: »
    Next few weeks is about fat loss. Expect a RevFit TV, Radio and Outdoor campaign in relation to same.

I'm a very serious here - would you consider doing that professional shoot with me on December 1st?

Hanley wrote: »
    I'm a very serious here - would you consider doing that professional shoot with me on December 1st?

I'll still be a mess by then. How much chub am I gonna lose in 25 days?? I have a suitably depressing "before" photo from yesterday but reckon I need 2 months-ish. 6 weeks anyway.

Took 2 carbless weeks after the comp and lost about 4kg. Starting training back now. Continuing dieting until I stop snoring, this is the point at which I know I'm relatively lean. Obviously baby jesus and his stupid birthday will make this a difficult month to keep the fat loss up.

Training will look mostly like this while dieting. Bench day and Front Squat & Sumo day. Probably twice as many bench days as squat&sumo days.

This is just really to keep me ticking over and ready for an attack on a 700kg total next year. Really I need to improve my bench and sumos. To be fair the sumo strength came thick and fast once I committed to them and I was outrageoualy shocked by how close I came to a 150kg comp bench so hopefully I'll have a good year with them net year.

First night on bench was just me working up to 110kg x9 and then back down again. The plan is just to bench a lot really.

Squat/sumo night was 190kg beltless sumos for 5x5 followed by working up to 120kg x 3 front squat and back down again. Plan here is just to build my sumos while supplementing some quad/ab work. Front squats are basically fancy planks for me, unbelievable ab DOMs. This may be down to my years of lordosis stretching them.

• Advertisement

Monthly update!

So I've been carb-less since my previous post. At this stage it's practically impossible to avoid them so the diet came off the rails what with work events and Xmassy stuff that revolves around food. I hit 101kg on the last proper carb-less day at the end of last week.

Training was all high intensity low volume (a lot of weight lifted not very many times) and my lifts were mainly sumos, bench and front squats (to rest my elbows really, and for the sake of change).

I managed a 240kg x 3 sumo and a a 145kg x 1 bench last week so the strength seems to be ok. Best front squat was 145kg x 3. I'm sure my reg squat is in the toilet now after the break but whatever I know how to get it back. Apply pain to squat, PR.

Now that there are carbs back in the system I'm going to jump on Hanley's GVT buzz and go for hypertrophy until at least the end of January before turning back into a powerlifter. Hopefully one with better body composition.

So far I've had 2 GVT sessions. Bench, 80kg for 10 sets of 10 (attempted) reps and Sumos, 130kg for 10 sets of 10 (attempted). 60 secs rest between sets.

Of course I couldn't manage 10 reps on all sets which is contrary to Hanley who is starting lower and aiming for 100 reps. Interesting to see how we get on.

This is my new "go to" song for heavy lifting. I'm worried about why.

It'll for sure be interesting to see how the different approaches play out!!

Xmas period of ludicrous calorie intake is over, got as many GVT sessions in as I could. Seemed to do a good job of putting the calories to work. I'm thoroughly fed up of being fat though. Weight held at 103kg so that's not bad but I need to get down below 100kg, probably 95kg for my belly fat to be acceptable.

Dieting pre-xmas was possibly the most boring and unsatisfying experience of my life so to hell with that I'm going to just run and jump and stuff while I concentrate on the powerlifts and start gettng back into the groove of them.

I just can't commit to solely powerlifting or mass building type training until this fat situation is sorted. Think it's the fact that I'm about to turn 33 and I'm fatter than I want that keep nagging me. So the fat has to go and I want to keep my strength up.

I really need a goal or I won't keep this lark up so I might look to do a triathlon or something over the summer and then get a 300kg squat by Xmas :).

Hanley has spent the last several years coming up with ways of torturing people anaerobically so it would be rude not to give some of his ideas a go. He can point and laugh at me too.

Stand by for hilarity.

It sounds to me like you're going thru a midlife crisis. Just buy a motorbike, some leathers and grow your 'stache back. Be easier than trying to get lean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

Hanley wrote: »
    It sounds to me like you're going thru a midlife crisis. Just buy a motorbike, some leathers and grow your 'stache back. Be easier than trying to get lean.

we wont accept him!

• Advertisement

we wont accept him!

Not a big enough chip on his shoulder?!

Ran some, cycled some, lifted some.

GVT session with 120kg wide stance back squats yesterday. Previous days included 4.7k run in 27 mins and 24k cycle in 70 mins.

Muhammed on rollerskates, back squats change everything. GVT'ing front squats just doesn't cause the same amount of discomfort. Failure comes about too easily with front squats. With back squats, when you hit failure you've still go 2 reps left in you if you can control your girliness for 30 seconds. Doing 10 sets of that has caused me to have a personal crisis on the damp chalky floor of my shed. Followed it up with wide grip 80kg benches (GVT). Finished the session off with Franley, 5 minutes 17 seconds. The GVT squatting banjaxed the BW squats so an assault on my previous all time best at this is on.

In the morning... I will run 5k in sub 25 mins.

Throwing all this pain at myself is great, I'm going to try and keep this log more up to date and create a shrine to overtraining if possible.

A great analogy I read this week about training and resting and "training smart". It's was in reference to Dave Scott, the Ironman, and it compared the body adapting to training to evolution which is adaptation on a grand scale. One of the pillars of evolution is that species under most stress and greatest threat of extinction adapt quickest. Evolution and adaptation speed up when more stress is applied.

Dave Scott trained like a madman. No heart rate monitor. No rest days. Went past the point of burnout and emerged from it like a sinewy phoenix.

Really people need rest days not because their body is telling them to but because their brain is. Your brain has two choices, convince you to stop or tell your body to adapt.

Don't stop.

Stupid brain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Pavel66

The good news here is that you will be logging more often, as you are one of my main sources of training info!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 495 ✭✭bootybouncer

fair play Kev dude..................give up that ridiculous lifting of silly weights though champ...... your gonna give yourself a hernia................................stick to the dave scott plan

Continuing with the mid life crisis training plan of GVT mixed with long distance running with a HIIT dressing.

GVT is grand, squats are the only thing that are a real challenge with them. 60 seconds is not enough rest between sets of 10 with 120kg. That's what I did tonight. I ran 7.3k last night which wasn't exactly the best preparation but who cares. I just eye ball my legs and shout "ADAAAAAAAAAAPT!!!". So far they appear to be listening.

Hanley made me weep like a girl when I agreed to do a stupid cardio thing he invented last week. 10 mins of 10 x goblet squats,pushups and wall balls AMRAP (see how I threw that in there? I say AMRAP now). Can't believe he makes the general public do that. Got 8 rounds almost to the second. Last wall ball on 9:59. In my defence it followed GVT SSB squats and other excuses.

If anyone is interested my running and bit of cycling, which is proving harder to fit in are all logged on Strava and Endomondo:

http://app.strava.com/athletes/1585305
    http://www.endomondo.com/profile/7939430

The plan remains doing some kind of endurance/adventure race as well as being awesome at powerlifting all in the one year. I believe this will make me look awesome, be overflowing with athlete mitochondria, have little bodyfat and finally start some rumours about PED use.

Connemara challenge... g'wan.

This week consisted of:

Sunday: Run 5.4k
    Monday: GVT Deadlifts
    Tuesday: Run 7.3k
    Wednesday: GVT squats
    Thursday Run 4.5k

This is retarded. Run with my sis-in-law planned for Saturday too and she's a proper runner.

Need more hematocrit.

Just don't have too much homoquit.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Turbo_diesel

What happened to this log ? How is training goin? Are you competing at all soon or will you be entering in an endurance race?

I half wrote an entry about 4 times, so many updates.

Here's an overview of my last month or so.

Wifepants is pregnant - yay - but there are a few complications that we need to watch- boo.
    I applied for voluntary redundancy in my job, was one of only 3% of staff who were rejected, endured a few weeks of arguing my case to no avail, resigned. Start new job in a month. - yay.

Got the Norovirus last week - boo. Simultaneosly excreted every mineral from both ends of me for a day and took a week before I stopped feeling like I had been hit by a bus. Got back to squatting/deadlifting this week and managed small improvements over the week before the virus. Nice.

Weight is now down to almost 100kg even due to said virus. Also a nice after effect.

An honourable mention to my, to date unmentioned nemesis, that has decided to intensify its efforts to derail my comfort. Piles. If you're a powerlifter in your 30s I'm gonna go out on a limb and say you know what I'm talking about. If you don't you aren't squatting enough or you're squatting high.

All this stuff has totally thrown off my prep for the comp but I think I'll do it unless life throws another curve-ball at me.

Interesting point about the running. Firstly I managed a 57min 10k 2 weeks ago which was pretty great - for me. That was like a 3 month goal I achieved in a month. Went for routine blood tests just to check on cholesterol etc. Firstly my cholesterol dropped a point vs 2 years prior. I was on a keto diet 2 years ago when the test was done. Seems to suggest the high fat diet is good for about a point on the cholesterol but that it reversed easily.

Also found my iron a bit low but not anaemic, red blood cells fine. That was a bit weird but I've subsequently found out that runners, particularly those that enter a new training cycle or ramp up intensity of training are at risk of iron depletion due to foot striking and sweating apparently. On both counts, due to being 100kg and pretty much throwing myself into long enough distances immediately I had a lot of broken blood vessels and a bit of brusing around my feet/ankles from the constant pounding of my well cultivated mass. Minimilast runners prob contributed too. I also sweat like a cornered virgin at the best of times, you can ring out my tops at the end of a run regardless of temperature outside. These factors apparently put your iron stores to the test.

Interesting if that is the cause given low iron could cause a lot of symptoms of "overtraining", none of which I have but it would be worth noting for any larger gentlemen who decide to start running. You could end up needlessly resting when you only need to be eating more steak and continuing to train.

Not bad advice for most issues really.

Eat more steak. Continue to train.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

nice going on the 10k run!
    I did a 59:20 10km in a race last May after 2 weeks training.
    Havent ran since!

Would be interesting to look at best times of 100kg plus guys.

Piles - not nice.
    Happened to me once when i was around the 119kg mark - they havent reared their ugly heads since

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭oq4v3ht0u76kf2

http://www.hollandandbarrett.ie/pages/product_detail.asp?pid=124&prodid=145&cid=180

Take a half-dozen of these every day. Even if you're getting enough fibre already. Do it. Do it.

Also, congrats to you and Wifepants on the pregnancy! And to you on the new gig!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

Did you hand in the notice in the old place before getting the new role?

If so doing that with a wife a kid and a second on the way......

you've bigger balls than i thought!

Did you hand in the notice in the old place before getting the new role?

If so doing that with a wife a kid and a second on the way......

you've bigger balls than i thought!

Did I bollox

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Congrats on the second pregnancy!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,034 ✭✭✭COH

This log is due its bi-annual mega update

Ok.

Last few weeks I've been mostly doing my own program based around a shovel, a wheelbarrow and a pick-axe.

I basically turned a grassy hill into a sunken patio with these three implements. I needed to get this thing completed before any potential summer heat (got it done last weekend, how's that for timing) because increasingly pregnant wifepants is in danger of dying inside the house in any kind of heat.

To put into perspective the physical amount of calories I burned doing this, I was doing the day job every day then working until 10 at night on this thing and all day every weekend until 8 or 9. I eat nutella sandwiches and pizza EXCLUSIVELY and after a few weeks I'm exactly the same weight (101kg).

Notable challenges included the 6 tonnes of gravel, sand and paving slabs that the truck driver doing the delivery couldn't get around the back lane and into the back garden (where the patio was going) so he had to leave on the driveway of my TERRACED house. Dickpants then had to wheelbarrow it all through the house. Oh yeah and there are steps up into my house.

Will upload some before and after pics shortly. They're on the Mrs phone.

Suffice to say time I would usually spend training was spent doing this. As a result I'm probably functional as a motherfucker but weak as a kitten. When are the Crossfit Games on again? Reckon I have a crack.

In all seriousness I'm now back being able to train a bit so the GPC nationals at the end of the year are the target. The plan is to actually have a decent pull and bench for them. I'm going to delay my assault on a 300k squat until next year and become a more rounded person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭oq4v3ht0u76kf2

What work's gone into the pull and push since your last 'functional' update?

What work's gone into the pull and push since your last 'functional' update?

I intermittently need to be poked with a stick to update this thing.

I've fallen back on my old programming favourite of 5x5 as the main dish with a side of high rep stuff. Predictably I've gone back squatting pretty intensely, but only because I'm able to fit it in and keep the intensity sufficiently high on the pulls'n'pushes. Benching is done almost every session, even after heavy squats, time permitting. I've decided it doesn't matter if your bench is in the toilet after squats, the training effect is still beneficial when you do it exhausted, even if the numbers are down.

I also stopped wearing a belt while training, this was a big wrench for me because I get LOADS out of my belt. I suspect my inneficient habit of shooting my ass up and rhomboiding my way out of squats is down to either a weak or a lazy ab-section from years of lordosis (lordosis arches your back which stretches the ab muscles, meaning they can't contract, therefor weakness and your back takes up the slack.) So I'm taking the belt away to try to expose this weakness some more so I can work on it. Very interesting listening to Dan Green's video's lately, the issues he talks about that he overcame sound so familiar it's untrue. Interesting that he got out of his ass shooting up in the squat by getting even more quad development. I always considered my quads to be by far and away my strongest point but maybe they're not doing enough. Look at me rambling about squats in an update on my deadlift and bench. I have a problem.

The pulls are done sumo and beltless and feel really great. I'm drilling the jaysus out of the tehnique and it feels smooth.

Benching is going well also. Adding in A LOT more shoulder work and incline work because muscles. Everything's paused, haven't done a touch and go bench in nearly 2 years.

Current numbers from the last week to give you an idea of where I am

Sumo: 195kg 5x5 (beltless)
    Squat: 190kg 5x5 (beltless)
    Bench 115kg 5x5 (paused)

Babypants Part II: The Bloodening, is due in 2 weeks so obviously my priorities lie outside training. When I do get to train, which will be a max of twice a week, my strategy is simple. Up everything like volume and intenisty and shorten rest periods to give myself more to recover from given the bigger breaks between sessions. I respond quite well to intense sessions with big breaks between them and don't need much sleep so it should be all good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,034 ✭✭✭COH

Damn you and your sumo-friendly hips. I've all but given up on them.... stupid hips :mad:

Advertisement