Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toilet Attendents

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

old hippy wrote: »
    Evidence, please.

Sure E-mail the Revenue Commission. They'll have loads of hard working toilet attendants liable for tax on record.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭eyeroad yearowl one

Barely into 2013 and we have our first tedious excuse to have a go at black people and or Nigerians.

That's pretty racist. Not all black people are from Nigeria. I'd imagine someone from another African nation wouldn't like you assuming they are from Nigeria, nor would a Nigerian like someone to assume that a black toilet attendant must be Nigerian

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Arpa wrote: »
    Not racist. Mostly they are Africans. As soon as anyone sees a nationality posted in here they're ready to jump on the racist bandwagon. Stop trying to incite crap. Guys in the jacks in clubs are mostly from the continent of Africa.

juan kerr's offensive comments incited the crap.

Why defend the hatred? Why perpetuate it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

mikemac1 wrote: »
    OP chased by an abusive worker, he should be sacked. Though those lads are not paid a wage so barred from the establishment is more correct then sacked

But some have focused in on the word African, thread derailed

The people who try to be the loudest about stamping out racism are the same people who see it everywhere

You don't have to take offense on behalf of others you know

Nationality of ethic group/origin need not be mentioned in the first place then.
    From what I can see the only one who did seize on it has been banned.

That's pretty racist. Not all black people are from Nigeria. I'd imagine someone from another African nation wouldn't like you assuming they are from Nigeria, nor would a Nigerian like someone to assume that a black toilet attendant must be Nigerian

Read the thread again before sticking your oar in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

I focused on the words "disease", the "blacks in the jacks" and other choice comments. What do you see in those words, hmm?

You are talking about a poster that was banned

The OP didn't have any of these and racism was still brought into the thread

IM0 wrote: »
    africans/racism check

First post to mention Nigerians was post 6 by the now banned Juan Kerr, he brought it up first.

You're on thin ice for trolling. Have you read the entire thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ITS_A_BADGER

aw jesus here we go not 24 hours into the new year and a thread already derailed to racism.

Op's point is about toilet attendants not about the nationality of the attendant

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Complain to the club's management, OP.

A lot like chuggers, you can be polite, smile and say "No, thank you" and continue on your day/night/whatever.

• Advertisement

aw jesus here we go not 24 hours into the new year and a thread already derailed to racism.

Op's point is about toilet attendants not about the nationality of the attendant

CORRECT. jk made the offensive comments and focused on Nigerians - the people who took offense at that did NOT derail the thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Nationality of ethic group/origin need not be mentioned in the first place then.
    From what I can see the only one who did seize on it has been banned.

People mention such things in a descriptive sense, be it the black taxi driver or the English barman etc. simply describing someone's ethnic origin doesn't constitute as racism or anything of the sort

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭spankysue

Christ, this went downhill quickly didn't it? :rolleyes:

That toilet attendant was being a d1ck to the OP. When I'm in a nightclub I don't use their perfumes or what have you, I bring tp out with me to dry my hands with, don't give them money but have never had any bother with them or their job :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

From another thread by another poster ;)
    true story: I was teaching a class which included a guy - Paul - who was black, had one arm, was in a wheelchair, and had an eyepatch.

A girl I worked with was sitting in on the class and at the end of the first session, she was telling me about your man and a question he had asked her. I asked "which one is Paul?"

She thought about it and said "..the guy with the beard".

This abusive workers background should not have been mentioned by the OP says WileyCoyote

You have to think twice these days before you describe anyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭winston82

no splash, no gash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Ah I don't mind these guys*, but then again, I have never been chased out of a toilet and verbally abused and humiliated in front of people by one* either.

Il always be friendly to them*, ask them* a few polite questions, throw them* a bit of change and head on my way....with a pocket full of lollypops for the ladies.

* denotes "toilet attendants" - before anyone accuses me of being racist.

Sexist;)

Anyhow, no complaints about these toilet attendants (I don't go to clubs), once they don't expect me to give them money, isn't the price of using the facilities and the ambiance included in the price of the drink & entrance fee?

But running out after you??...definitely complain to the management in the cold hard sober light of day:(

MaxSteele wrote: »
    Sure E-mail the Revenue Commission. They'll have loads of hard working toilet attendants liable for tax on record.

Burden is on you to prove it, Max. Or continue to pedal gossip?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭MyBrokenKnees

FTA69 wrote: »
    So there I was last night, enjoying myself in a club as one does, when at the end of the night I pop into the jacks one last time before getting on the train.

Trains running at the early hours of the morning on New Years Eve after a night club?

That's what I got out of all of this! I bet those train drivers were on a nice earner driving trains at that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mackeire

Mod

Posts deleted. Drop the racism talk, the only person who put forward racist comments has been banned. Move on.

• Advertisement

Right, back to toilet humour. Did someone mention crap? Drives me right round the u-bend, this lavatory malarkey. Still, if you don't likes it, you can always fight back and smash the cistern etc, etc ad infinitum.

Personally, I don't mind them - yes, it can be it a bit awkward and these days a bit of an extravagance but then again, it's people in jobs. Not great jobs, sure but can't begrudge people making a few bob in these harsh times. And if the sh!tty nature of the gig occasionally makes one shirty, well, that's forgiveable.

mikemac1 wrote: »
    From another thread by another poster ;)

This abusive workers background should not have been mentioned by the OP says WileyCoyote

You have to think twice these days before you describe anyone!

His background is surely immaterial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

winston82 wrote: »
    no splash, no gash.

I heard this comment being screamed out by a toilet attendant recently every 20 secs. Nauseating to say the least. I despise them with a passion. Just blatantly ignore them.

As for them cleaning the toilets? No they dont. Too busy raking it in with their watered down aftershave.

A menace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

yes, it can be it a bit awkward and these days a bit of an extravagance but then again, it's people in jobs. Not great jobs, sure but can't begrudge people making a few bob in these harsh times. And if the sh!tty nature of the gig occasionally makes one shirty, well, that's forgiveable.

Do they pay tax?

Getting stroppy with customers in a toilet is not on. There is no need for them to be there.

bohsboy wrote: »
    Do they pay tax?

Getting stroppy with customers in a toilet is not on. There is no need for them to be there.

He shouldn't have lost it, I agree. Not very professional. Maybe he was having a bad day and took it out on the hapless individual. Not condoning it, though.

Do they not pay tax? I haven't yet seen any link or evidence that they don't?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

I don't give a sh*t about the fact they don't pay tax. There's far bigger problems in the world than someone getting tipped a few hundred quid a week in coins from people inside a pub. I just don't feel easy about a society that has people inside the toilets scraping for coins, I barely feel comfortable getting table service in a pub, never mind having migrant workers helping me to dry my hands. Then again having worked in clubs the lads themselves decide they want to do it and often make very good money in doing so. Many of them have very little other openings to make a few pound, especially in Ireland.

Old Hippy,
    And if the sh!tty nature of the gig occasionally makes one shirty, well, that's forgiveable.

This however, is a load of crap. Following someone out of a toilet to shout at them for not giving you money for nothing, is disgraceful behaviour. End of story really. Who the hell is he to even raise his voice at me, never mind demand money?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Do they not pay tax? I haven't yet seen any link or evidence that they don't?

They just throw the money into their pocket. It's tips after all, hardly a regular taxed wage from a company. And besides, who cares? Waitresses etc don't pay tax on their tips and rightly so.

I don't give a sh*t about the fact they don't pay tax. There's far bigger problems in the world than someone getting tipped a few hundred quid a week in coins from people inside a pub. I just don't feel easy about a society that has people inside the toilets scraping for coins, I barely feel comfortable getting table service in a pub, never mind having migrant workers helping me to dry my hands. Then again having worked in clubs the lads themselves decide they want to do it and often make very good money in doing so. Many of them have very little other openings to make a few pound, especially in Ireland.

Old Hippy,

This however, is a load of crap. Following someone out of a toilet to shout at them for not giving you money for nothing, is disgraceful behaviour. End of story really. Who the hell is he to even raise his voice at me, never mind demand money?

What did the management say when you contacted them? Were they any use at all?

Old Hippy,

Having done a lot of dreadful menial jobs over the years, I can empathise with the guy but I certainly don't meant to appear to condone his behaviour.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

DOes this happen in ladies loos too, or is it limited to the gents?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement