Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Halo 4: First Impressions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Just finished playing this. I enjoyed it :)

But I expect the next game to be
    Halo 5: The Search for Cortana
    :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

yeah a bit predictable that and of course the flood will appear bladybla how original :cool: haha good game though

what ya think of online play?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

Online is brilliant, soo much fun.
    Haven't got round to starting the campaign yet.

Patsy fyre wrote: »
    Online is brilliant, soo much fun.
    Haven't got round to starting the campaign yet.

i personally rather the campaign in h4

prob because i'm a big fan of h3 ranking system...but thats not to say i dont like it...it is fun just after turning it off actually lol

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,131 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

i personally rather the campaign in h4

prob because i'm a big fan of h3 ranking system...but thats not to say i dont like it...it is fun just after turning it off actually lol

They'll be introducing a ranking system in the new year.

• Advertisement

Mickeroo wrote: »
    They'll be introducing a ranking system in the new year.

yeah i read that but still confusion over if its like the reach ranking system where it can only be viewed by looking a gamertag up on waypoint or the conventional H3 one

there's a petition on one of 343 forums to introduce the competitive system for competitive players and to introduce team snipers and other competitive playlists

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

They really should bring the H2 ranking system, nothing worse than having a couple of bad games and going down 2 levels.....

Then you always felt you have to pull it together....

And to me clans are still sorely missed....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

Fieldog wrote: »
    They really should bring the H2 ranking system, nothing worse than having a couple of bad games and going down 2 levels.....

It was great, but could be very unfair at times! I remember when you got into the 30s/40s it could take 6/7 consecutive wins to go up a level. BUT, you could win 3 and be half way through your current level, lose ONE game and you'd go down a rank!

I hope something is introduced soon though. I am still enjoying playing H4 online but can see it getting a little stale soon if there isn't a more competitive element added.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

has there been any word on a date for it yet from 343?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭-=al=-

maximoose wrote: »
    It was great, but could be very unfair at times! I remember when you got into the 30s/40s it could take 6/7 consecutive wins to go up a level. BUT, you could win 3 and be half way through your current level, lose ONE game and you'd go down a rank!

I hope something is introduced soon though. I am still enjoying playing H4 online but can see it getting a little stale soon if there isn't a more competitive element added.

It was pretty tricky at the higher ranks alrite I made sure I had a good team before I went into the ranked games

It was so competitive and intense :cool:

• Advertisement

DeSelby83 wrote: »
    has there been any word on a date for it yet from 343?

starting from febuary but only visible on waypoint confirmed via 343i forums . uproar on forums about it

Well that's just bloody pointless.

...uproar on forums about it...

Got a link? I can't find it after a solid 3 minutes of googling :D

Seems fairly "why would i bother" though.....

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,131 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Got a link? I can't find it after a solid 3 minutes of googling :D

Seems fairly "why would i bother" though.....

This must be the thread I reckon: https://forums.halowaypoint.com/yaf_postst135168_1-50-Competitive-Skill-Rank-Official-Thread.aspx

Dont see why they dont just stick ranked playlists in the game and have the rank appear by your name. Its obvious what most of the community wants so just do it already.

In fairness, a lot of the posts on that forum have it right, a proper true skill system would be cool to skilled players, but it's probably only something that will alienate casual or less frequent players (who there are multiples of compared to the hardcore..

Halo is a cash cow for Microsoft (and now for 343i). Halo 4 only exists because MS wanted to make more money out of the franchise, otherwise it would have ended after the initial trilogy. As much as they may not admit it publically, they are going after the casual gamer market, and aren't likely to do too much with the game to p1ss those buyers off. The game reeks of pandering to the casual, pick up and play, COD style gamer, and from a pure business point of view it's easy to see why. For every 1 annoyed vocal hardcore player who wants a trueskill system, there's probably 10 casual gamers loving it the way it is, nice and accessible, and just like COD. All of those guys paid over their €44.99 for it too...

One post on that page nailed it:
    Waypoint wrote:

343i aren't going to change it, deal with it.
    It's too harsh for newer, nooby players. They're appealing to casual gamers, resulting in a higher profit....It's clear they're just after a wider audience and don't care about the competitive community, just take a look at what they've taken from CoD:

Custom loadouts
    Tactical Package and Support Upgrade (Perks)
    SitRec (Killcam)
    Hitmarkers
    Progression System
    Spartan Points (COD points)
    Spartan Ops (Special Ops)
    Instant respawn
    Weapon Skins
    Commendations (Challenges)

I wonder why they're doing this? Oh yeah, because CoD's formula is popular and they have a large fanbase...

Personally, i would like to see the return of the Halo 2 clans system much more than anything else that has been roumoured. That really added a sense of teamwork and achievement in games and that was worth more to me than any number against my name was.

That's probably about right. I'd regard myself as a casual gamer. Couldn't care less about true skill or any of that ****e. Didn't even realise it existed in halo 3 and I played a lot of that. I'm just happy as long as I'm getting a few kills and helping my team. Loving halo 4 I must say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

That's probably about right. I'd regard myself as a casual gamer. Couldn't care less about true skill or any of that ****e. Didn't even realise it existed in halo 3 and I played a lot of that. I'm just happy as long as I'm getting a few kills and helping my team. Loving halo 4 I must say.

you should. without a trueskill ranking system to keep the competitive people interested. Halo 4s multiplayer will die at the same speed that Reachs did.

The reason Halo 2 and 3 lasted so long was because of the trueskill 1-50 system.

Every time I finish a match I get disconnected from the servers, it says I'm not logged into live which I am. This isn't happening with any other game only halo.
    It says my NAT type is unknown, would that have something to do with it?

DeSelby83 wrote: »
    Every time I finish a match I get disconnected from the servers, it says I'm not logged into live which I am. This isn't happening with any other game only halo.
    It says my NAT type is unknown, would that have something to do with it?

UPC by any chance?

UPC by any chance?

No eircom

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Here Come The Pretzels

Thats a big old shame about the true skill being only visable on waypoint.
    That is going to shorten its shelf life enormously for me.
    Similar to the way Halo reach was an enjoyable multlplayer but the lack of a easy to view/intuitive ranking system (arena - wtf?) meant I played it way less than Halo 3.

The fact that you could view your skill level increasing/dropping in real time after each game added to the excitement in Halo 3. Having to stop the game to enter waypoint will ruin that buzz id say..

On a side note I find the waypoint GUI/smartphone app system less straight forward for reviewing your stats than the good old fashioned bungie website, which I thought was brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭-=al=-

I haven't played it online in weeks just not enticed enough to go back to it

Very much what happened with reach

some interesting posts nailing exactly what's going on there with micro and 343... It's a big shame... I bloody loved 1-3

Korvanica wrote: »

you should. without a trueskill ranking system to keep the competitive people interested. Halo 4s multiplayer will die at the same speed that Reachs did.

The reason Halo 2 and 3 lasted so long was because of the trueskill 1-50 system.
    Don't agree. I think casual players make up the numbers in online games. People continued to play halo 3 because it was a fantastic game, just about perfect. Reach died because it was a poor game imo. Bans because your connection dropped in games , poor maps, in selection /variation.

If the online experience is good people will continue to play.

That said would like to see the true skill to gauge myself against some of my online friends. I just hope it won't end like call of duty were people hide in corners to get their kill ratio up.

if you dont think the 1-50 will be the reason h4 fails you are very wrong...at its peak h3 had over 950,000 players online at the same time which is the highest server population of a fps.

the 1-50 ranking system is what made halo so unique and competitive and this is why it was viewed to be better than cod and is what differed the two. the cod system is boring and only based on the amount played not skill.

the 1-50 system never alienated h3 players so why would it h4? h3 was 5 year old nearly 6 until the server population depleted to what it is now. h4 is already on that track and the simple fact is that competitive gamers made up 60% of h3 ....h4 server population is already under 100k.

the fact is there trying to implement aspects of cod into halo 4 but they dont fit as halo is not cod and the ranking was always 1-50 not just exp those aspects work in cod so they should be left there....h4 online is a flop

the proper 343 forum news about 1-50 ranking link is this for whoever is interested

http://www.343industries.org/news/_/halo-4/matchmaking/competitive-skill-will-be-visible-on-waypoint-r478

Absolutely pointless putting it on waypoint. Even with the smartglass app its still not practical.
    It has to be available in the lobby before each game.
    Surely they will take this advice on board.

its looking like there is plenty of uproar over it and im sure there will be even more when its actually released so hopefully they will listen.

Fingers crossed.

Also going by that announcement, seems they still aren't decided if it's going to be retrospective... I bloody hope it is!

Fingers crossed.

Also going by that announcement, seems they still aren't decided if it's going to be retrospective... I bloody hope it is!

yeah true...there's tens of thousands of polls with an average of 88% for the competitive ranking re-introduction....343 would be stupid to lose all those gamer's...me included.

my highest skill in H3 was 47 in snipers, lone wolves and MLG. the want of a 50 keeps me playing to this day....got bored of H4 a week after i got it

Absolutely pointless putting it on waypoint...It has to be available in the lobby before each game.

Yep, 100% agreed. If it's introduced, it's only going to be any good if it's in the lobby or somewhere highly visible.

The whole point of it is the "oh F**k, it's yer man the 50, run awaaay" or "is that your man there, the level 50?...it is. C'mon and we'll all gang up on him" conversations in team chat..:D

• Advertisement

The whole point of it is the "oh F**k, it's yer man the 50, run awaaay" or "is that your man there, the level 50?...it is. C'mon and we'll all gang up on him" conversations in team chat..:D

Haha yes! This is what I miss, and the great feeling if you beat a high ranked team.

At the moment the majority of people I come across at "rank" 130 on Halo 4 are absolutely awful and have just played a hell of a lot.

The novelty of specializations has worn off on me now, and as much as I love Exile as a map its getting boring constantly playing it or Ragnarok. Really need something new to keep my interest and competitive rank would do the trick lovely, just give the people what they want 343!

Advertisement