Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halo 4: First Impressions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Smartly Dressed

How would you all feel about a return of 1-50 ranks, like there was in Halo 2 + 3?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

They no longer reward people for being good and punish people for being bad.
    Most games end up running around in a circle looking for someone who insta-spawned. The first Halo MP I've hated and can't stand playing. :(

Pretty much this, there is no emphasis on staying alive as long as possible or dying as few time as possible. You are rewarded more for kills so there is no need for skill, if you repeatedly charge at people unloading your ammo into them and smack them you will be better rewarded than by trying to play the game tactically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

But the team with the most kills wins, if your dying a lot then your not going to be winning games. That's the reward.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

That's true, but the game isn't as enjoyable when you are just firing ammo at your opponents.

Patsy fyre wrote: »

But the team with the most kills wins, if your dying a lot then your not going to be winning games. That's the reward.

But if you are taking people with you every time then you have a chance of winning. A lot of players just seem to have this Kamakazie attitude of charging towards someone and not caring about dying as long as they take the other player with them.

And the personal scoring is aimed towards this type of playing as well. Think you get 20 points for a plasma kill, 15 for a kills from the grave, and only 10 for a sniper kill or a headshot. It's ridiculous.

3 changes I would make if it was possible:

Give people the option of being dropped into games, there is nothing more annoying than being dropped into games which are half way through, especially when 9 times out of 10 you are put on the losing team.

Allow for people to betray their team mates, I know why it was cut out of Halo 4, I am sure everyone was sick of being shot at by annoying people when they managed to pick up a weapon someone else wanted in Reach. But 4 has gone too far in the other direction, if people want to use the Rocket Launcher at point blank range there should be a chance that they will take themselves out, likewise if players are driving around in the Scorpion shooting everything that moves there should be a risk of hitting their team mates. I dunno how they could work out decent system because even the Reach one varied in how many betrayals a person could commit before being booted but anything has to be better than the current system.

Go back to zooming out when you get hit.

• Advertisement

Also is there some kind of handicap system when a team takes a lead?

I haven't really played any games where one team was well and truly hammered and anytime a team takes a large lead it seems to get pulled back.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,155 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Also is there some kind of handicap system when a team takes a lead?

I haven't really played any games where one team was well and truly hammered and anytime a team takes a large lead it seems to get pulled back.

If it's big team slayer I find a lot depends on the vehicles. been in games where we were well ahead only for the other team to get hold of the scorpion/gauss hog and pull it back. Have seen teams win by four or 5 hundred points on occasion too though.

Regards betrayals, they're still there I thought? I've definitely been killed by my own rocket launcher and yesterday a team mate flattened me with the warthog after which I was given the option to boot them from the game.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    If it's big team slayer I find a lot depends on the vehicles. been in games where we were well ahead only for the other team to get hold of the scorpion/gauss hog and pull it back. Have seen teams win by four or 5 hundred points on occasion too though.

Regards betrayals, they're still there I thought? I've definitely been killed by my own rocket launcher and yesterday a team mate flattened me with the warthog after which I was given the option to boot them from the game.

I thought betrayals could only be done with vehicles now.

And it is in big team battle that I notice it, so maybe getting the vehicles plays a part.

Not sure on betrayals but suicide is still there.
    Regards points, I couldn't care less how many points I get for different kills as long as I'm getting kills.

No handicap system either, or at least I have not come across it.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,155 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I'm not so sure people don't care how much they die either. I'd imagine most people want to have a respectable k/d but if they're in a situation where they're not getting out of it alive they might just try take as many people as possible with them.

What was the system before? I've played Halo 3 & Reach online before but I don't seem to remember it being much different....did you lose points when you die?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Smartly Dressed

I'm not so sure people don't care how much they die either. I'd imagine most people want to have a respectable k/d but if they're in a situation where they're not getting out of it alive they might just try take as many people as possible with them.

What was the system before? I've played Halo 3 & Reach online before but I don't seem to remember it being much different....did you lose points when you die?

Respawn delay in Halo 3 and Reach.

Instant respawn is the problem with H4.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

How would you all feel about a return of 1-50 ranks, like there was in Halo 2 + 3?

I'd love this. That system was great (bar how much trouble there was with standby/glitchers for quite a while) and actually took skill to get a high rank. What we have now isn't even a ranking system, just high levels for those who play the most.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Loved Halo 3 ranking system tbh and the betrails and points ...None of the mid game joining and COD like features

Almost everything in Halo 3 was brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

the 1-50 rank is what kept me and all my friends playing Halo 2 and 3 for so long. Reach died out very quickly with us as there was nothing to work towards and there was no indication that you were improving.

If 343 don't bring in an in game true skill system I don't think halo 4 will last long for a lot of people IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

i could be wrong on this but didnt they say that the true skill system will be implemented in the new year. Competitive Skill Rank

Korvanica wrote: »
    the 1-50 rank is what kept me and all my friends playing Halo 2 and 3 for so long. Reach died out very quickly with us as there was nothing to work towards and there was no indication that you were improving.

If 343 don't bring in an in game true skill system I don't think halo 4 will last long for a lot of people IMO.

I had about 1,500 or so online games on 3 and barely played any of the others online it really kept up interest more

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

-=al=- wrote: »
    I had about 1,500 or so online games on 3 and barely played any of the others online it really kept up interest more

Defo did, 4,264 Halo 3 games played. 143 Reach games played.

Gruelled through some games lastnight to get to the next level before bed, only to go on today and find I'm back halfway through the previous level...eh?!

Save and quit if your friend :(

Woops sorry, I meant rank/online level! The XP I got for a couple of games and challenges I completed just disappeared!

• Advertisement

Korvanica wrote: »

Defo did, 4,264 Halo 3 games played. 143 Reach games played.
    I thought I played a lot of HALO 3 with around 2,500...
    Was some game back in the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Sorry for my rambling post but heres my two cent so far on my Halo 4 experience. Bear in mind I'm a VERY casual "gamer". ie when I get a chance.

So where do I start. I suppose first off I'm absolutely loving it right now. I've played little over a hundred online matches and just cant get enough of it. Played a roughly 2 hours last night, which is a lot for me and I nearly came first for the first time but was pipped to the post into second place but at least I feel like I can win a match where as in COD i couldnt even get close cause of bloody airstrikes, etc RUINING the game. On a side note I trade in COD MW3 yesterday to get rid of it.
    I'm consistantly coming in around 3rd place though which I'm pretty happy with to be honest.

Playing Regicide mainly as I feel the team games are incredibly disorganised when you dont have friends to play with and as much as I wish I could get to know other people here etc to play with my times playing the game are generally all over the place so probably no point.

Haven for me is by far and away the best map. Absolutely love the confined spaces and corridors.

Unlocked the supressor I think its called last night at level 22 I think it was. Savage gun, used in conjunction with sticky grenades. Works pretty well for me.

Looking forward to getting home to play it this evening I must say which for me is mad cause I usually get bored of games very quickly.

I havent even started the campaign yet. Might this weekend. Played the very first level of spartan ops found it a bit boring if I'm honest but that said it was only the very first mission so I'd say it gets better and in fairness its a massive amount of content. On that point I think there really is something for everyone in this game. From the campaign to spartan ops to massive amounts of multiplayer its the first game in a while that I'm glad I've bought for full price on launch.

All in all I think 343 have done a great job. I dont think the "COD" type levelling has ruined it either. I think that anyone starting with the basic weapons can jump in a lot easier than in COD. The last Halo game I played was Halo 3 and I did like it but for the casual gamer I found the proper gamers if you will won out too easily because of knowing the maps better than me and knowing where all the power weapons etc were. For me I think its a more level playing field now. Love the way theres very little in the way of people crouching behind random things to snipe you or that because of promethian (or whatever its called). Again not a rant about COD because in fairness to it I got some enjoyment out of it but this used to wreck my head. Spawn, die, spawn, die. :mad:

Looks like the other games I bought recently (Forza 4 and Gears 3 in particular) will have to wait now cause I cant see myself putting this down anytime soon.

Lastly I havent bought the new maps yet. Are they worth it for the likes of regicide playing or are they more geared towards the bigger maps, like big team slayer type stuff.

Hope that helps anyone considering buying the game or moving from the COD franchise.

Patsy fyre wrote: »
    I thought I played a lot of HALO 3 with around 2,500...
    Was some game back in the day!

Halo 3 was about the best that halo Multiplayer ever got for me. It was a totally amazing game, with amazing maps, and great weapon and equipment balance, but it also came at a point in my life when i had lots of time to play it, so i was decent and knew all the maps and a lot of the tricky spots. Pulling off headshots across the map with the sniper rifle on sandtrap, from that sweet sniping spot on the top of the sand dune was an amazing buzz.

Did anybody else bother to collect all the skulls and get the hayabusa armour?:D

Sorry for my rambling post but heres my two cent so far on my Halo 4 experience. Bear in mind I'm a VERY casual "gamer". ie when I get a chance.

So where do I start. I suppose first off I'm absolutely loving it right now. I've played little over a hundred online matches and just cant get enough of it. Played a roughly 2 hours last night, which is a lot for me and I nearly came first for the first time but was pipped to the post into second place but at least I feel like I can win a match where as in COD i couldnt even get close cause of bloody airstrikes, etc RUINING the game. On a side note I trade in COD MW3 yesterday to get rid of it.
    I'm consistantly coming in around 3rd place though which I'm pretty happy with to be honest.

Playing Regicide mainly as I feel the team games are incredibly disorganised when you dont have friends to play with and as much as I wish I could get to know other people here etc to play with my times playing the game are generally all over the place so probably no point.

Haven for me is by far and away the best map. Absolutely love the confined spaces and corridors.

Unlocked the supressor I think its called last night at level 22 I think it was. Savage gun, used in conjunction with sticky grenades. Works pretty well for me.

Looking forward to getting home to play it this evening I must say which for me is mad cause I usually get bored of games very quickly.

I havent even started the campaign yet. Might this weekend. Played the very first level of spartan ops found it a bit boring if I'm honest but that said it was only the very first mission so I'd say it gets better and in fairness its a massive amount of content. On that point I think there really is something for everyone in this game. From the campaign to spartan ops to massive amounts of multiplayer its the first game in a while that I'm glad I've bought for full price on launch.

All in all I think 343 have done a great job. I dont think the "COD" type levelling has ruined it either. I think that anyone starting with the basic weapons can jump in a lot easier than in COD. The last Halo game I played was Halo 3 and I did like it but for the casual gamer I found the proper gamers if you will won out too easily because of knowing the maps better than me and knowing where all the power weapons etc were. For me I think its a more level playing field now. Love the way theres very little in the way of people crouching behind random things to snipe you or that because of promethian (or whatever its called). Again not a rant about COD because in fairness to it I got some enjoyment out of it but this used to wreck my head. Spawn, die, spawn, die. :mad:

Looks like the other games I bought recently (Forza 4 and Gears 3 in particular) will have to wait now cause I cant see myself putting this down anytime soon.

Lastly I havent bought the new maps yet. Are they worth it for the likes of regicide playing or are they more geared towards the bigger maps, like big team slayer type stuff.

Hope that helps anyone considering buying the game or moving from the COD franchise.

Re: The new maps, they're all quite big. The smallest one is Harvest, which is just a tiny bit bigger than Complex. It's the only one of the new maps that pops up in the 4v4 playlists, the other two are massive but very cluttered.

I find Spartan Ops is better in Co-Op, even if it's with a bunch of randomers. There's not going to be a new episode until the new year, at the moment there's a best of selection of chapters for online play. Starting next week with the first they'll be putting each episode online for a week again. If nothing else, its a good way to level up quick, you'll rack up about 5000 XP per chapter easily.

Re: The new maps, they're all quite big. The smallest one is Harvest, which is just a tiny bit bigger than Complex...

Complex is already too big for me. I keep getting dropped into team slayer and regicide matches on it, on the losing team because someone has quit, and it's a headwrecking map to play with "lone wolf" type randomers.

It's the kind of map where a team that's playing with teamwork will wipe the floor with one that's not. It's bad enough that the game seems to spawn you miles away from your teammates when you die, but when your team is a bunch of online idiots all running around like headless chickens and playing with their mics off, there's very little you can do to stay alive in all that open space. All you can do is hole up indoors and hope your team finds you before the opposing one.

Complex is already too big for me. I keep getting dropped into team slayer and regicide matches on it, on the losing team because someone has quit, and it's a headwrecking map to play with "lone wolf" type randomers.

It's the kind of map where a team that's playing with teamwork will wipe the floor with one that's not. It's bad enough that the game seems to spawn you miles away from your teammates when you die, but when your team is a bunch of online idiots all running around like headless chickens and playing with their mics off, there's very little you can do to stay alive in all that open space. All you can do is hole up indoors and hope your team finds you before the opposing one.

Yeah noticed this big time in slayer games... if your the last person standing on your team after an attack most of the time you're better off hunkering down and waiting for your team mates to make the epic trip back to where all the action is

I haven't really noticed any problems with spawn points...

Just over a month in and I have to say it has more than held my interest, still really enjoying the online play

Just hurry up and nerf that feckin needler :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

at the moment there's a best of selection of chapters for online play. Starting next week with the first they'll be putting each episode online for a week again. If nothing else, its a good way to level up quick, you'll rack up about 5000 XP per chapter easily.

have they taken episodes down? i am planning on starting to play this next week or so after college finishes. so do i not have the option of just starting from episode one whenever i want?

DeSelby83 wrote: »
    have they taken episodes down? i am planning on starting to play this next week or so after college finishes. so do i not have the option of just starting from episode one whenever i want?

You can play all of them but you can only play one episode a week online. Thats with randomers though, I imagine if you have a party going you can play any episode you want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

You can play all of them but you can only play one episode a week online. Thats with randomers though, I imagine if you have a party going you can play any episode you want.

So I should have been playing those from the start really by the sounds of things with others online as now they're all offline and I'm playing on me tod. :rolleyes: .. ah well theres always regicide. ... ....... We have a new King!!

Advertisement