Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vu+ duo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Gunther_Gloop

steveon wrote: »
    BBC3 is 10818 v 22000 5/6
    BBC4 is 10803 H 22000 5/6

Just on that, for newbies or slowbies like myself at times... if you go to manual scan you can enter those settings there. Enter the settings where it looks right (v/h is vertical/ horizontal obviously).

Before you begin make sure you select not to clear all channels first -and to only scan the relevant tuner (ie. don't select Irish DTT if you only want to scan Satellite). ..Well I think these are options in Manual Scan.

When you are done, any new channels will be added to the 'raw' channel list, not necessarily to any bouquet you may have created.

To add them to the bouquet the easiest way is to use Dreamedit on your pc.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭kevez

drayer wrote: »
    hi guy's,
    new to this sat thing. Just bought my 1st sat box, vu+ duo and am hoping to get it setup quickly before I call sly and give them the good auld goodbye, goodluck.
    can you guy's point in the the direction of the best place to download vix/blackhole images I've been reading and these seem to be the best I think also whats the best/latest bootloader.
    Any things you think i should install to get it kinda setup & looking like the sly user guide/interaction.
    Hope you boardies can help.

Thanks

http://linuxsat-support.com/forum.php
    They have a section for vu+ boxes original and clones they also have backup images of vix, blackhole, etc with bouquets, crossepg and tspanel so its ready to go on start up you might want to download the auto bouquets plugin it to arrange all the channels like the sky epg and the same numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

Anyone have a copy of the latest terrestrial.xml file for Saorview ?

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭JonnyM

my box never updates the EPG itself even though i have set it to and even when i have to do it manually it crashes and it takes at least 3 or 4 goes of doing it manually for it to update.

I am missing some option here or something i should have ticked???

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭recyclebin

JonnyM wrote: »
    my box never updates the EPG itself even though i have set it to and even when i have to do it manually it crashes and it takes at least 3 or 4 goes of doing it manually for it to update.

Cheers

Try rescanning in the channels again. This happened to me a couple of weeks ago.

• Advertisement

recyclebin wrote: »
    Try rescanning in the channels again. This happened to me a couple of weeks ago.

I rescanned the channels a couple of weeks ago and it did nothing but i will try it again anyway

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

JonnyM wrote: »

Cheers

Where are you storing the EPG? I noticed when I had it set to the hard drive by mistake it was constantly crashing, it's to do with the hard drive being set to shut down when not being used.

Also, check to make sure what providers you are downloading from, too many and they might be conflicting with each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Barack Obama

Clareman wrote: »
    Where are you storing the EPG? I noticed when I had it set to the hard drive by mistake it was constantly crashing, it's to do with the hard drive being set to shut down when not being used.

Also, check to make sure what providers you are downloading from, too many and they might be conflicting with each other.

Hi Clareman - can you please provide some more details? For the past two weeks, my EPG has disappeared. I was only using Rytek-UK had had it set to update every day at 6am. Manual updates do not work either :(

I'm using Blackhole 1.7.8 and I'm only looking for an EPG for 28.2e

Thanks!!

i am storing my EPG on the harddisk but it gives me one other option of storing it on the internal flash but in brackets beside it its says 'unsuggested' as it says it can block up memory etc and cause it to crash or something like that so dont want to do that.

Where is the best option do you think to store my EPG and how??

Thanks

Hard drive is best optioin, then USB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

recyclebin wrote: »
    Hard drive is best optioin, then USB.

you sure about that?

I use USB as the hard drive doesn't need to spin up to list the EPG

• Registered Users Posts: 9,732 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I use the HDD for the EPG. I have less problems updating compared to when I used a USB stick.

kingtiger wrote: »
    you sure about that?

I use USB as the hard drive doesn't need to spin up to list the EPG
    lertsnim wrote: »
    I use the HDD for the EPG. I have less problems updating compared to when I used a USB stick.

I tried using USB so the hard drive didn't need to spin up but I didn't find it very reliable. That may have been due to the VIX image I was using.

I found that the EPG seems to cause problems now and again no matter which image and hard drive/USB you use.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Sorry for not replying sooner, actually got out for a few drinks with Mrs. Clareman yesterday :)

A USB key will always be the best option cause there is no moving parts in it, some USB keys may not work, but you're far better off storing the EPG to USB cause it'll be constantly written to, you may notice that some channels listing are wrong (e.g. sports going to extra time), when you change to that channel it'll download an update automatically. If you are using your hard drive it'll mean that the hard drive is constantly spinning as it's accessing the EPG data, it may work fine but it'll not only increase the heat being given out by the box but it'll also shorten the lifespan of the disk. The Flash Internal memory isn't suggested because it's part of the box and by having it written to and accessed constantly it may cause a problem which will corrupt the whole box.

I'm using Sky UK OpenTV (Astra2 on 28.2) only, it works perfectly for me, I download the update at 4 am.

Sorry for not replying sooner, actually got out for a few drinks with Mrs. Clareman yesterday :)

A USB key will always be the best option cause there is no moving parts in it, some USB keys may not work, but you're far better off storing the EPG to USB cause it'll be constantly written to, you may notice that some channels listing are wrong (e.g. sports going to extra time), when you change to that channel it'll download an update automatically. If you are using your hard drive it'll mean that the hard drive is constantly spinning as it's accessing the EPG data, it may work fine but it'll not only increase the heat being given out by the box but it'll also shorten the lifespan of the disk. The Flash Internal memory isn't suggested because it's part of the box and by having it written to and accessed constantly it may cause a problem which will corrupt the whole box.

I'm using Sky UK OpenTV (Astra2 on 28.2) only, it works perfectly for me, I download the update at 4 am.

Do you need any specific usb or will anyone do the job?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,732 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Good question. Maybe the USB stick I tried wasn't fast enough. Which one do you use Clareman?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

I have various EPGs with a generic 2 gig USB stick and it works perfectly

very rarely it goes screwy then I just wipe the key and run CrossEPG again

I think as a general rule of thumb if you can flash a box with a key the key will work with it :) I work in IT and have a box full of USB keys from 32 meg to 64 gig, I think the 1 I have in my Ultimo is a 32 gig Lexar.

As kingtiger says, if the EPG goes screwy just wipe and go, I usually ftp onto the box and delete the .dat files as I have my CCTV going through the key as well.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I'm using a Philips 16GB USB drive for EPG on mine, as it is more responsive than the HDD for me.

It's not exactly a fast read/write drive, but it seems to work grand with the Picons and EPG.

It's about the only use I have for the rear USB ports now as my Nova-T won't work properly at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rock Paper Scissors

guys is there any way to play .iso files on the vu+ duo?

or must i convert the .iso files to another format?

cheers

• Advertisement

guys is there any way to play .iso files on the vu+ duo?

or must i convert the .iso files to another format?

cheers

Depending on the image you have check on the DVD player plug in, should allow you mount the image

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

finally got round and ordered me a Vu+ Duo :-)

couldn't be arsed waiting for the impending newer version

• Registered Users Posts: 16,603 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Enjoy it Stux..... Can't wait to hear what setup you end up with!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,524 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I am going to start using a usb stick for my cross epg updates.Whats the minimum size and write speed I would need?

Just checked there, the whole CrossEPG folder for 28.2 ame is ~40 megs, so anything bigger than that, I think any USB key would work.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,524 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Just checked there, the whole CrossEPG folder for 28.2 ame is ~40 megs, so anything bigger than that, I think any USB key would work.
    would thre write speed make any difference?

I wouldn't think so to be honest, I've used some really cr@p sticks in the past and there was no problem with them at all.

still having bother with updates for the epg. I have changed it to usb stick but still doesnt update and when i try doing it manually it takes at least a couple of goes to download as it just crashes. Then when it has done it successfully i have to restart it to update the epg.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

I see a few people say on the thread that the Nova-T isn't working reliably as a DTT receiver with recent VIX.

I'm having the same issue, and would prefer to buy a replacement tuner. What brand/model is working reliably for people with Saorview/VIX please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stanley1

had best results with this tuner, it's a dual tuner so should be handy when 2nd mux comes online.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/PLAY-TV/dp/B001D67WJW/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1355059983&sr=8-5

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement