Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Training Plan for first season racing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭michael196

Slo_Rida wrote: »
    FFS
    I've been down with man flu all week. It's basically a head cold with a touch of a chest infection but I haven't got the energy to wag!
    So fcuking annoyed though. I really wanted to "keep her lit" this week with some handy sessions.
    I'm hoping that by Sunday morning I'll be back out on the bike. I can't see me being able before that.
    Again...SO RAGING!
    Any advice on quick recovery/return would be appreciated.
    GGGGGGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

just let it run its course, and dont go mad on sunday. No point trying to train when sick. If u not well by sunday, keep resting.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Slo_Rida

Felt a bit better over the weekend but still quite weak so I left it.
    Gonna try a run at lunchtime. 8km should do it. I'll aim for 5 min/km but might go easier depending on energy.
    If that goes ok I'm back in the game!
    Slo

Did a 5.5km run yesterday at lunch time. Nice and handy, 4:37m/km.
    Felt fine so I'm back in the game!

Since the lunchtime run went well, I decided last night I'd chance a turbo session. Nothing too hectic, just an hour at about 68% MHR, cadence=97.
    Started out at about 102rpm but increased the resistance one turbo notch after 15 minutes.
    The next phase on the turbo will be power building. Not sure if I will start that this week or next week. Man flu meant I couldn't start it this week but I'm still loosely keeping to my loose schedule!
    Here's the stat:
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/240751969
    Great to get back into it having only lost about 9 days of potential training. Onwards and forwards :)
    Slo

Last night I decided to do a power pyramid session. The plan was:
    2mins on - 2mins rest
    4mins on - 2mins rest
    6mins on - 2mins rest
    8mins on - 2mins rest
    6mins on - 2mins rest
    4mins on - 2mins rest
    2mins on - 2mins rest

What actually happened:
    8mins on - 2mins rest
    6mins on - 2mins rest
    4mins on - 2mins rest
    2mins on - 2mins rest
    6mins on - 2mins rest
    4mins on - 2mins rest
    2mins on - 2mins rest

I increased the turbo resistance and put the bike on the big ring up front and a middle sprocket on the back. A gear I felt I could sustain for the whole session. If I'm being honest, I probably should have used a harder gear, maybe one sprocket down on the back. But I said I'd ease into the power phase. And actually my legs aren't at all sore this am so I guess I should definitely go harder next time. Here's the stats:
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/241211116

Cadence >80 and avg HR was 73% MHR. Interesting to see the HR rise and stay up for the duration of each interval and drop for the 2 minute rest. Definitely need to drive a harder gear.
    Possibly back on the turbo tomorrow night as I may not get out Saturday morning.

Slo

• Advertisement

Training is not great this week due to work. Did this turbo Monday night:
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/243729144
    Will try for a session (probably running) of some sort today and see if I can get the visa for a long spin in the morning!

I haven't been getting enough done the last 3 weeks, quite a concern so I must up the commitment even if I'm busy.
    Good to see the HR recovering pretty quick during those intervals, at least that's some encouragement.

Slo

was wondering alright what had happened to this week !

Did 80km with 2 pals on Saturday. Was flying it and then we hit the hill! They were considerably stronger than me and I struggled a small bit from then on. Happy to get back out after 3 weeks off the road. I'm eager to get out again as I'm not overly happy with how Saturday went. The 2 lads were well stronger than me so I need to get out again and prove to myself that I'm still moving forward.
    Anyway here's the stats:
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/244170799
    Note the temperature. We got up pretty high and were hit with the worst shower of hail and rain I've ever had the pleasure of suffering! It was a strong headwind too so the hailstones were battering my soft little face :)
    Slo

Just did this at lunchtime:
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/244856744
    T'will do for todays training and hopefully I'll squeeze something in tomorrow too. Bloody runners started blistering my feet after about 4km. Another purchase needed! I'll ask Santy...
    Slo_Runner!!

on ur saturday spin, did u eat anything at all during the spin ?

• Advertisement

michael196 wrote: »
    was wondering alright what had happened to this week !

I have all the excuses you want:
    The babby is waking at night, I'm working late, I had man flu. You see if you make excuses that means it's ok to not train!!!
    Back in the saddle as of Saturday so hopefully things will settle. Although what will my excuse be then???
    Slo

dont over do it !!! mind urself .

on ur saturday spin, did u eat anything at all during the spin ?

I did, I stuffed my face actually because (here comes an excuse) there was carnage in the house before I left! I hadn't eaten much...a small breakfast and a toasted sandwich right before I left on the bike.
    I ate a Nutrigrain right before the hill, a fancy nancy gel thing about half way and a nutrigrain with 6km to go. And when I got home I gorged myself on 750ml of chocolate milk and a bowl of chicken and pasta!
    I know a banana might have been better than the bars but I literally grabbed a fist of "stuff" before I left and tore out the door.

I was feeling ok last night after 7km lunchtime run so jumped onto the turbo for a very short session:
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/244990442
    20 minutes of 30 second shuttles. Quite low resistance.
    30 sec at ~120rpm
    30 sec at ~100rpm
    On and off the bike in about 40 minutes.
    That'll do for a Monday night!

Haven't been training since Monday. Woeful pain in my neck. Dunno if I got a crick in my neck sleeping or hurt it getting up to junior in the middle of the night. Either way, I woke up one morning with a pain that stops me doing ANYTHING.
    Everything has to change once this passes. Bed early. Must make strict plan, something like:
    turbo Monday, run Tuesday, turbo Wednesday, gym/jog Thursday, free Friday, big spin Saturday, recovery spin Sunday.
    November has been pretty much a disaster. Gonna try make it a fresh start once this is gone. A bit of hard work and I'll get back on track.

Haven't been training since Monday. Woeful pain in my neck. Dunno if I got a crick in my neck sleeping or hurt it getting up to junior in the middle of the night. Either way, I woke up one morning with a pain that stops me doing ANYTHING.
    Everything has to change once this passes. Bed early. Must make strict plan, something like:
    turbo Monday, run Tuesday, turbo Wednesday, gym/jog Thursday, free Friday, big spin Saturday, recovery spin Sunday.
    November has been pretty much a disaster. Gonna try make it a fresh start once this is gone. A bit of hard work and I'll get back on track.

Slow down !!! U must arrive into January. fresh and not exhausted. the above programme is a it too much for november. November December is typicaly littered with delays . los of training / miles, Life occurs.

Ur goal is to arrive at January, ready for work, not exhausted from working in November/ december.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Opera_Leonardo

Hello all.

I'm thinking (hoping) of doing some racing next year as well. Final year of college & other commitments meant I didn't get a preseason done for 2012 which would have been my 1st season, having only started cycling last year. I done my 1st race on the 10th August @34.7kph avg for 37k, surprise surprise I finished last, but I went with the A4's (four of us fell off the back at the start). What surprised me was the starting pace, so for what it's worth
    1) I aim to get a 5 -10km warm up before any race
    2) Practice starts with a 200 -500m fast pace

I'm struggling to get out on the road now mainly due to our weather, so can Michael196 or somebody else make any suggestions for a training regime for winter (for both Slo & myself and any others following this thread) on the basis that we don't overtrain/burnout .

Good luck with the training/racing Slo_Rida.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭pprendeville

Hello all.

I'm thinking (hoping) of doing some racing next year as well. Final year of college & other commitments meant I didn't get a preseason done for 2012 which would have been my 1st season, having only started cycling last year. I done my 1st race on the 10th August @34.7kph avg for 37k, surprise surprise I finished last, but I went with the A4's (four of us fell off the back at the start). What surprised me was the starting pace, so for what it's worth
    1) I aim to get a 5 -10km warm up before any race
    2) Practice starts with a 200 -500m fast pace

I'm struggling to get out on the road now mainly due to our weather, so can Michael196 or somebody else make any suggestions for a training regime for winter (for both Slo & myself and any others following this thread) on the basis that we don't overtrain/burnout .

Good luck with the training/racing Slo_Rida.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056800183

I suggest you get a turbo trainer so you can train indoors. I'm in college also and have 3 small kids so time is precious. I get 40-60 minutes done twice a week early in the morn and get out on Sat with the club and some times with a mate on Sun.

Sorry I don't want to hijack Slo_Rida's thread. But this may be of interest to everybody.

Thanks for the advice/link pprendeville. I'm looking into the turbo trainer route at the minute. I like Slo_Rida's pyramid (interval) training scheme.

A 3rd party has expressed a concern about turbo trainers twisting frames, can anybody shed any light on this view?

So, after man flu and a bad crick in my neck, November decided it wasn't quite finished with me yet. To cap off a complete write off of a month, I now have the winter vomiting bug. You all know the 2 symptoms so I won't go into it.
    I think sometimes it's ok to lie down and say to yourself, "Hey, you're getting a raw deal here". I know I wasn't going to be winning the Giro or anything but this has seriously dented my progress and therefore my expectations for my first season racing. Even the wife is showing signs of sympathy! She said, once I'm better, draw a line under it and start afresh.
    So that's what I'm going to do. If I'm ready, I'll go out at the weekend and that will mark (a) the start of December, (b) the end of the bad luck and (c) the beginning of my next phase of training. Taking on Michael196's advice, I won't over cook it. I will clock as many miles as possible and sprinkle in some hills and be ready for January when the shackles will definitely come off.
    There is a distinctly "whining" tone to this training log of late. That's it...from now on it's positive vibes only. Onwards and upwards.
    Slo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭granda

i'm in the same boat as you slo-rida, as in wanting to race next year, and over the winter i just want to clock up the miles without worrying about speed etc the only thing i'm doing as real training would be hill repeats once a week as i'm useless at hills long, short ,steep or not otherwise its riding for the joy of it and getting miles in

Make sure ur bidon(s) (bottle) get into the dishwasher frequently enough.

remove the lid and place separatly in the dishwasher

open the feeding valve and place into the dishwasher

Consider the grime from the road coupled with stagnant water when not in use. Bugs will grow and could give you upset stomachs if consumed.

always open the lid and look inside the bidon and lid rings prior to use for dirt. slime ( bacteria / bugs) and any cloudiness in the water ( presence of bacteria)

Keep it sealed when not in use.

When out of the dishwasher , keep the bidon turned upside down when the lid is removed ( prevents bacteria contamination)

always fresh water on each use.

Unfortunatly people use dirty bidons / bottles and wonder why they are experiencing stomach upsets !!!

Friend of mine complained of upset stomach all last summer , when i looked at the bidon ...... it was manky dirty.

Make sure ur bidon(s) (bottle) get into the dishwasher frequently enough.

remove the lid and place separatly in the dishwasher

open the feeding valve and place into the dishwasher

Consider the grime from the road coupled with stagnant water when not in use. Bugs will grow and could give you upset stomachs if consumed.

always open the lid and look inside the bidon and lid rings prior to use for dirt. slime ( bacteria / bugs) and any cloudiness in the water ( presence of bacteria)

Keep it sealed when not in use.

When out of the dishwasher , keep the bidon turned upside down when the lid is removed ( prevents bacteria contamination)

always fresh water on each use.

Unfortunatly people use dirty bidons / bottles and wonder why they are experiencing stomach upsets !!!

Friend of mine complained of upset stomach all last summer , when i looked at the bidon ...... it was manky dirty.

Cheers.
    I'm pretty good at washing them in general but maybe I missed one. Also, I usually leave them open with lids off while not in use so perhaps that didn't help. My Dad, brother-in-law, niece and nephew all had it while I was visiting home too so that also might have contributed.
    Slo

Don't worry about your interruptions Slo Rida, you can't change what has happened. The key at this stage is to maximise your time from now on in. Having done some reading/research it appears that rest & recovery are often over looked and neglected. Thus whilst down time may appear to be a loss or setback it can in fact be the best thing a body needs to repair musle tissue. And that I understand is how muscle's grow, which is what we want.

Good luck with your recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

So, after man flu and a bad crick in my neck, November decided it wasn't quite finished with me yet. To cap off a complete write off of a month, I now have the winter vomiting bug. You all know the 2 symptoms so I won't go into it.
    I think sometimes it's ok to lie down and say to yourself, "Hey, you're getting a raw deal here". I know I wasn't going to be winning the Giro or anything but this has seriously dented my progress and therefore my expectations for my first season racing. Even the wife is showing signs of sympathy! She said, once I'm better, draw a line under it and start afresh.
    So that's what I'm going to do. If I'm ready, I'll go out at the weekend and that will mark (a) the start of December, (b) the end of the bad luck and (c) the beginning of my next phase of training. Taking on Michael196's advice, I won't over cook it. I will clock as many miles as possible and sprinkle in some hills and be ready for January when the shackles will definitely come off.
    There is a distinctly "whining" tone to this training log of late. That's it...from now on it's positive vibes only. Onwards and upwards.
    Slo

I feel you're pain Slo. Got a similar thing on Sunday night. Was feeling weak yesterday morning but sleep helps a lot with this. If you get one of those winter nasties then just stay home and sleep, even if you think of maybe reading a book or watching some telly - DON'T! Just drink loads (those sports drinks we use on the road can help better than plain water) and sleep, sleep, sleep and then sleep some more. If you can get some food in you then eat fruit as much as possible and some energy stuff (oat porridge is my favourite).

When you are feeling better and your energy has returned then on the bike stay in zone 1, don't go even close to zone 2. If you go above zone 1 you're adding unnecessary stress and recovery might be prolonged.

Get well soon.

Hmmzis wrote: »
    If you get one of those winter nasties then just stay home and sleep, even if you think of maybe reading a book or watching some telly - DON'T! Just drink loads (those sports drinks we use on the road can help better than plain water) and sleep, sleep, sleep and then sleep some more.

Sleeping is actually more difficult than you'd think! At home again today as the "dose" certainly hasn't passed.
    Sound advice lads. Funny, maybe a hatrick of setbacks like this will make me appreciate my training time a bit more and I will make more of an effort in it. At this stage, the weekend is probably out of the question for restarting. But there's always next week! Just looking forward to it now.
    Slo

dont panic ,

then rush out and get run down again .

allow the recovery

when fully recovered,

u will be stronger and ur training session will be most beneficial

Having done some reading/research it appears that rest & recovery are often over looked and neglected. Thus whilst down time may appear to be a loss or setback it can in fact be the best thing a body needs to repair musle tissue. And that I understand is how muscle's grow, which is what we want.

Good luck with your recovery.

Indeed but at the minute, the body is certainly not recovering, it's being damaged so I'm not sure any muscles will improve due to this stoppage. I'll know once I start back whether or not I'm rested/stronger I suppose.
    Gonna redden the old Giant as soon as I get going again...

Gave the turbo a whirl tonight. Just an hour of steady pedalling, nothing too hard or too fast. I'll crank it up on Wednesday and make sure I'm back in it. I might just increase the time and keep the effort the same...I'm still trying to improve cardio and endurance.
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/249074192
    Glad to be back doing something physical!
    Slo

• Advertisement

Good to hear you're back in the game Slo. I got an old turbo myself during the week, had a few sessions so far. I'm finding 30/40 min interval workouts tight going. Those yoks are a right sweatbox.

When does your race season start?

Advertisement