Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Training Plan for first season racing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Slo_Rida

Had a go on the TT last night:
    warm-up, 5min easy, 5 hard, 5 easy, 10 hard, 10 easy, 10 hard, 5 easy, 5 hard, warm-down.
    Just trying to up the intensity now and prep the lungs for racing. The legs are geting there and I should be able to hang in for the first race once my lungs are ready.
    Hoping to get out for a hard hill session later this week too.
    Tipping along nicely now. I've been getting a nice few sessions in since Christmas so I'm reasonably happy with that.
    It's all good!!

Chest infection dot com
    Knocked out for the week, off work and in the bed. Everyone in the house has it too so I'm not even getting sleep at night!
    Not too worried though because I've been training well and there are still 3 weeks from Sunday before the first race so I'll be well recovered by then.
    It's a pity but not a disaster...

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Opera_Leonardo

Your having a bad run with illness Slo. But like you said you have a few weeks left yet so hopefully this doesn't last too long. If the weather with you is like it is up here, when I left today for a run out the sun was shining however it soon turned to driving hail showers and severe winds. It might be no harm being stuck inside.

Any news on the patient? In relation to my previous post "It might be no harm being stuck inside" I went out yesterday morning for the group spin, 8:30 start. As I left the car park the dreaded black ice struck, before I knew what happened I was down. Thankfully it was low speed and as it happened so fast I didn't even have time to take my hands of the bars, so bruised elbow (ego) and knee the only damage I think! Was able to stay with the pace but a few of the faster guys weren't there so still not sure how much extra I'll need. Done the 80k with the group, drove home (15min) and as it was such a nice day when I got back I went back out on my own and done another 64k. I figured if the weather changes as per weather forecast it might not be possible to get out this week so make the most of it when possible.

Give us an update Slo as soon as your back in the game.

before I knew what happened I was down. Thankfully it was low speed and as it happened so fast I didn't even have time to take my hands of the bars, so bruised elbow (ego) and knee the only damage I think!
    Done the 80k with the group, drove home (15min) and as it was such a nice day when I got back I went back out on my own and done another 64k. I figured if the weather changes as per weather forecast it might not be possible to get out this week so make the most of it when possible.

Give us an update Slo as soon as your back in the game.

As chest infections go it's the worst I've ever had and being asthmatic adds it's own complications. So my chest still feels like it's in a vice but the other symptoms are gone ie aches, light head, head aches so I'm heading the right direction. No need for funeral arrangements :-)

Jebus...I wouldn't like coming down at any speed! I've only taken one slap and like you it was at slow speed but still, it's a shock to touch the tar!
    Fair play on getting out again on your own...shows a bit of strength. Sure only the pros would be doing 2 spins in one day!!! I'd say you'll fly it even in A3......

• Advertisement

Good to hear your on the mend. A chest infection can really drain you. Don't overdo it when you get back on the bike or turbo. Just under three weeks to go, I'd say your itching to get back on the bike?

Still not recovered and the weekend looks like a non-runner. That only leaves one weekend to train before race #1.
    Ah well...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

Slo_Rida wrote: »
    Still not recovered and the weekend looks like a non-runner. That only leaves one weekend to train before race #1.
    Ah well...

Don't worry about training for the first race, there'll be loads of races, you don't need to win the first one. Just sit in and see how you compare to the others.

colm_gti wrote: »
    Just sit in and see how you compare to the others.

To do this I need to be training!!

Came across something called tapering. In relation to sports training coaches recommend their athletes use this technique as they approach an event. Basically the training tapers off from normal (high level) to a lower level, this gives the body time to recover before the event. So while a stop in training is not ideal it's not all that bad. You seem to have done a fair bit leading up to now. As Colm said unless your aiming to win or score points you wont need to be peaking for your first race. Work your way up and come good later in the season.

• Advertisement

Came across something called tapering. In relation to sports training coaches recommend their athletes use this technique as they approach an event. Basically the training tapers off from normal (high level) to a lower level, this gives the body time to recover before the event. So while a stop in training is not ideal it's not all that bad. You seem to have done a fair bit leading up to now. As Colm said unless your aiming to win or score points you wont need to be peaking for your first race. Work your way up and come good later in the season.

Both points make sense in fairness. I was hoping for another 2 or 3 hard-ish sessions like the hill reps above and then ease off a week before. Loughrea is just an intro so that I'm not making my debut in the local races. I'd like to make my initial mistakes in a race that's not hugely important to me. The following 2 weekends are very local and I'd like to do a bit better in them. I want to peak on April 22nd, that's my priority for this season. I'm also hoping to complete the Mullingar 2-day so that would also be a peak of sorts. I know you can't control these things but I like to plan. I'm already making mental notes for next winters training!

I know where your coming from, but we all suffer set backs at some stage. The problem is we can't plan for them. Loughrea will be a good gauge for you. You'll know if you need to do more hard-ish sessions at this stage of the season for next year. If your looking at next years training it is good to keep notes (paper/electronic) on this years training then either up or lower next years training to suit your goals. Theres no point burning yourself out.

Still not feeling recovered but decided to jump on the turbo and turn the pedals for a while...did 40minutes of very low resistance cadence 92, sweating like hell but not blowing, avg hr was only 125. I didn't stress the lungs at all so it may not have been much of a test but good to get back on the bike. Will try a harder one during the week and hopefully a road spin at the weekend.
    Cool.

Right I'm a step closer to recovered. I did a pyramid session last night:
    2-4-6-8-6-4-2mins with 2 mins working break in between. I didn't push during the 8min, just medium effort as I knew I wasn't fully fit. I must have sweat about 2 pints during the hour+!! Anyway, it's not quite the heights I reached in January but a solid session on the road over the weekend should bring me back closer to what I was.
    I'm not sure what to do next week given there's a race on Sunday but I'm thinking 1 light turbo session and one light road session (mainly to check out the bike).
    So the chest infection is almost gone and there are 10 days til racing starts, I'm like a child waiting for Christmas...can't wait to tear into it!

Got out with the club Saturday for about 90km. It was rolling with one "minor" hill. I got it mixed up and thought I was on a much longer hill so took it slightly easier than I should have but maybe that was no harm given I'm just after illness and I was hoping to hammer it in the road home.
    I felt great on the road home, 44km of lightly rolling roads. And I was well able for hi-speeds. I was up to 30mph at times when I went to the front and always close to 30 and sometimes over it! There were 4 of us really driving it on and I felt good so I am officially over the illness!
    I'm not sure what to do this week. It feels kind of strange knowing the ****ty training is almost over and the "fun" racing is about to start.
    I guess I'll have to retire this log come Sunday :-(
    Anyway, good session Saturday, I'll try a turbo session or 2 this week and that's it then. Like I said leading up to the Leaving Cert: "Sure if you don't know it by now, you'll never know it so go out there and enjoy yourself"!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

Just because racing starts doesn't mean training should stop...training never stops!

I was thinking the same Colm. Just don't go overboard on the turbo this week Slo. You may want to cut down on your time on the turbo, keep the intensity but shorten your workout time. Don't sap your energy, your Sat run out showed that it's hard to beat fresh legs!! We will be looking for updates throughout the season Slo so please don't retire the thread just yet.

How's the form now Slo? You all set for you're big outing tomorrow?

Here's my synopsys of how my first race proper went:
    Got round WCW race in Loughrea today. Quite happy with the outcome.
    I stayed in the front ~15-20 riders all the way to the hill and then the pain started!! I gave it pepper all the way up and was actually surprised when the KOH came. I stayed more or less in touch with the leading bunch (right at the back but in sight) until the top and only then I started suffering. It was very rolly and the surface was sapping and the pace was driven on a bit (I think!). I just couldn't stay on the back and was inevitably dropped. I ended up on my own for a minute or 2 until the others caught me and we got going again. After my little break I actually felt fairly ok again and was able get involved in the rolling over of our new group. We actually made good ground and we were basically up and racing again albeit without any hope of catching the leaders and therefore not in contention. I gave it everything again to do my work in this group and did a good share so I was very happy with that.
    A guy that finished with the winning group told me we were about a minute down on them so if that was true I'd be well chuffed.

The conclusion for me is that if I can get an extra few percent in strength and MAYBE lose another half stone, I could be able to hang on the back of the leading group all the way around and that would be really pleasing. Because if I can manage that this season, it's only one more step up to be in contention for places and really "race" during a race.

I have to mention that I was absolutely to the pin of my collar on/after the hill so some details are slightly sketchy. I wonder if it had been an easier descent immediately after the koh, would I have faired better.
    Anyway...I possibly should have waited until tomorrow to write this message when I have a clearer head because at the minute I'm pretty jaded! Gonna have a look at my garmin data now and look up some reports on the race.

Hope the lads in the crashes got home with no major injuries and a big thank you to West coast Wheelers and all their volunteers for a great race (and great weather!!). Fine spread of food after especially the carrot cake!!
    Slo

• Advertisement

Just logged in Slo. Good man, well done. Sounds like you put up a good fight. To finish in the second group only a min of the pace is impressive. Remember this is you're first season so there will be a steep learning curve, but you seem to be well up there anyway.

I didn't get racing today, the race was fully booked up when I tried to book a place a few weeks ago. I'm not sure when I'll get my first race under the belt. Hopefully it goes as well as you're outing.

I'd say you'll be grand...A3 will be tough though I reckon!!
    Thanks for the good wishes before by the way, all encouragement helps!
    Its a bloody hard sport though, holy ****!

Its a bloody hard sport though, holy ****!

Sorry about the expletive I meant to say holy smokes :P

Well thanks to you for making the training more enjoyable and getting as sence of excitement. You're thread has helped a lot.

Yeah a few of the club runs have highlighted my lack of speed. I think (hope) that will come with racing. At the min I'm focusing on longer runs in preparation for the Donegal three day so I'm sacrificing speed training for now. I will add it to training soon.

When is you're next outing? Or is that something you don't want to think about!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭michael196

Here's my synopsys of how my first race proper went:
    Got round WCW race in Loughrea today. Quite happy with the outcome.
    I stayed in the front ~15-20 riders all the way to the hill and then the pain started!! I gave it pepper all the way up and was actually surprised when the KOH came. I stayed more or less in touch with the leading bunch (right at the back but in sight) until the top and only then I started suffering. It was very rolly and the surface was sapping and the pace was driven on a bit (I think!). I just couldn't stay on the back and was inevitably dropped. I ended up on my own for a minute or 2 until the others caught me and we got going again. After my little break I actually felt fairly ok again and was able get involved in the rolling over of our new group. We actually made good ground and we were basically up and racing again albeit without any hope of catching the leaders and therefore not in contention. I gave it everything again to do my work in this group and did a good share so I was very happy with that.
    A guy that finished with the winning group told me we were about a minute down on them so if that was true I'd be well chuffed.

The conclusion for me is that if I can get an extra few percent in strength and MAYBE lose another half stone, I could be able to hang on the back of the leading group all the way around and that would be really pleasing. Because if I can manage that this season, it's only one more step up to be in contention for places and really "race" during a race.

I have to mention that I was absolutely to the pin of my collar on/after the hill so some details are slightly sketchy. I wonder if it had been an easier descent immediately after the koh, would I have faired better.
    Anyway...I possibly should have waited until tomorrow to write this message when I have a clearer head because at the minute I'm pretty jaded! Gonna have a look at my garmin data now and look up some reports on the race.

Hope the lads in the crashes got home with no major injuries and a big thank you to West coast Wheelers and all their volunteers for a great race (and great weather!!). Fine spread of food after especially the carrot cake!!
    Slo

well done. Your an honest man. It is a tough sport, it is your first race, you dropped back but kept going untill the end.

You finished , thats important, you suffered the whole circuit. You now know the feeling of how tough it is.

Always finish, never pull in.

Your next race, you will improve, and improve again and again.

Keep going . You will get there with your determination.

Each time you will survive longer and longer , untill you are finishing with the front group.

keep it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

I have been following the Thread with interest.
    From little Acorns grow big Trees so keep it up.
    The Guy who won today and got the KoH was being pushed back into the group on club Leisure spins 3 years ago.

When is you're next outing? Or is that something you don't want to think about!!

Hell no, it's all planned out for the next month or so, no good/bad result is going to change the plan. Broadford next week then Ras Luimni the following week. A weekend off racing then I'm hoping to do Carlow.
    Immediately after yesterday I thought maybe Broadford is not a good idea given the hill is tough and done 3 times but then I thought fcuk that, Loughrea had a hill and was lumpy for miles after it so there's only one way to improve!

Did an 8km run Monday kind of as recovery. My legs are aching after it...big mistake. I doubt I'll be in much form for a turbo this week and I'm just hoping it will be gone by Sunday so I can race. Grrr. From now on recovery will be done strictly on the bicycle!

Good luck tomorrow Slo. I hope the legs have recovered from last week?

• Advertisement

Another day chasing I'm afraid. Incredible really...I die on the hill, suffer around to the crest and then I can pull like hell on the flat ALL the way back to the base of the hill. I'm afraid I don't have any climbing legs yet, on the flat I feel great, proper fit, I really am happy with that form but the hills are a sick joke still. Next winter I will do a lot more hill training, not necessarilly massive hills or hard climbin, just hills. I'll give a short report on the race tomorrow sometime, I haven't a minute here all week!!
    Onwards and LITERALLY upwards...bring on the flat races I say!!

Advertisement