Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learner/Newbie Sticky **All Learner/newbie/Starter Questions Go here!!****

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Steve.N

"AFAIK no insurer will give discount for a restrictor kit - all are easily removed. Not all will give discount for a factory restricted bike."

Actually there is a significant insurance discount for a dealer restricted bike.
    I bought my wife a GS500 to get her through her IBT & Prt2 test, after numerous wasted calls to southern bike shops/ dealers to get it restricted I called a Suzuki dealership in Hillsborough up north. They done the job at a third of the best price that I got quoted down south and they supplied a Suzuki stamped cert. When she phoned her insurance company they just asked for the cert number. They then checked with Suzuki that indeed it was all registered and fitted by a dealer - the insurance reduction was 30%.

The restrictor option I went for was the cheaper one which is only washers on the carb outlets which can easily be removed.
    Why would you bother? leave it restricted and learn how to ride - it makes some difference when you can just relax and enjoy every run out on your bike without it hanging over your head that if/ when it goes wrong and you have a tip that you possibly be riding uninsured!
    Imagine causing a major smash with people badly injured or dead- the bike is checked and it comes out that it's unrestricted and you've invalidated your insurance - your life is over!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

WhiteMike wrote: »
    Cheers Please Kill Me, turns out the battery just needed a little bit more persuasion and it pulled straight out. :o

LOL, there ya go. Sometimes all these things need is a little "wiggle". :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,003 ✭✭✭Wossack

Steve.N wrote: »
    "AFAIK no insurer will give discount for a restrictor kit - all are easily removed. Not all will give discount for a factory restricted bike."

Actually there is a significant insurance discount for a dealer restricted bike.
    I bought my wife a GS500 to get her through her IBT & Prt2 test, after numerous wasted calls to southern bike shops/ dealers to get it restricted I called a Suzuki dealership in Hillsborough up north. They done the job at a third of the best price that I got quoted down south and they supplied a Suzuki stamped cert. When she phoned her insurance company they just asked for the cert number. They then checked with Suzuki that indeed it was all registered and fitted by a dealer - the insurance reduction was 30%.

factory kit, as in one certified by the bikes manufacturer. The typical aftermarket restriction kit is usually an FI International one, while also fitted by any dealer, and brings the bike down to the correct power, unfortunately doesnt confer any sort of insurance discount (but legally required nonetheless)

they are all very easy to remove - factory or otherwise (some exceptions, factory restricted rs125 for example). So easy in fact, I believe for the factory Triumph ones, they also make a 'tamperproof' one - which I believe is put on with a little certified lead stamp that is broken when the kit is removed

• Registered Users Posts: 2 big thinker

Hi im looking to start myself off on a motorbike ,but its all so confusing as in what bike to buy to start off what category and cost ,im driving a car the last 15 years so this is something I want to do but do it right and safely ,what is the 1st step to get this process going ,sorry if I comin across thick just with these new laws I don't know were to begin ,any help would be grateful

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

quick question, im 29, on provo 4 years on bike. in january, i can trade my current provo for a provo a and ride and bike any power, then take my test on any bike 600cc or greater?
    If you are aged over 24 and you currently hold a learner permit for Category A before the
    19th January 2013, but do not plan on sitting your driving test until after that date, you will
    have the following options:
    (b) You can apply after the 19th January 2013 for a Category A learner permit which allows you to ride a motorcycle of unrestricted power output. You can then take your driving test by presenting to the test in the representative vehicle which is a minimum of 595cm3 and an engine power of at least 40kW. If you pass the driving test, you will be issued with a Category A certificate of competency which you can exchange for a Category A full licence in your local Motor Taxation Office, and which is unrestricted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

^^^ What a system. Yet I have a full Licence and have to wait another year for my restriction to lift. Fcuking EU :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

copeyhagen wrote: »
    quick question, im 29, on provo 4 years on bike. in january, i can trade my current provo for a provo a and ride and bike any power, then take my test on any bike 600cc or greater?

Yes, but you will have to do IBT module 5.
    I think that is how it will work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

little bit confused here, do I need my IBT training before I can get a Learner Permit?

does anyone know roughly what the IBT costs, and any suggestions of companies to use?

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭RobertM

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    little bit confused here, do I need my IBT training before I can get a Learner Permit?

does anyone know roughly what the IBT costs, and any suggestions of companies to use?

No, you get your LP then do the IBT. The prices vary depending on your location. But if you do find someone to pair with, the price goes down. Because there's no fixed pricing from RSA, everyone charges what they want, but it's usually between 300 -> 600/650.

RobertM wrote: »
    No, you get your LP then do the IBT. The prices vary depending on your location. But if you do find someone to pair with, the price goes down. Because there's no fixed pricing from RSA, everyone charges what they want, but it's usually between 300 -> 600/650.
    but i cant ride a bike without the IBT??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭RobertM

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

You can't ride a bike on Public roads Unsupervised without IBT.

Supervised only means with a qualified instructor, not a buddy who's being riding bikes years (as a friend of mine tried to insist was the case :pac:)

You can't ride a bike on Public roads Unsupervised without IBT.

Supervised only means with a qualified instructor, not a buddy who's being riding bikes years (as a friend of mine tried to insist was the case :pac:)

Correct!!
    Do your Theory test, then you've got to complete the full IBT to be awarded your Learner Permit allowing you to ride legally without a RSA qualified instructor accompanying you.
    If you don't or only partially complete the IBT then you can't ride legally on the road without an instructor - This means if stopped by the Gards then you're riding without any license and insurance (Your insurance company asks for the IBT cert anyway before insuring you).

My wife got a deal with Naas driving school three months ago for €350 on groupon. She completed the IBT with them and they chucked in a free 2hr lesson - Great value!! (This was all one-on-one training).

Get your IBT then just enjoy riding without looking over your shoulder. Practice and practice and work to completing your full license as soon as you can then you can really enjoy your biking without wearing your 'L' vest.

Hopes this helps

Correct!!
    Do your Theory test, then you've got to complete the full IBT to be awarded your Learner Permit allowing you to ride legally without a RSA qualified instructor accompanying you.
    If you don't or only partially complete the IBT then you can't ride legally on the road without an instructor - This means if stopped by the Gards then you're riding without any license and insurance (Your insurance company asks for the IBT cert anyway before insuring you).

Just on this, it's Theory, Learner Permit, IBT, Road. And the insurance company will insure you but may ask for the IBT to be shown within a certain amount of time.

Wossack wrote: »
    factory kit, as in one certified by the bikes manufacturer. The typical aftermarket restriction kit is usually an FI International one, while also fitted by any dealer, and brings the bike down to the correct power, unfortunately doesn't confer any sort of insurance discount (but legally required nonetheless)

they are all very easy to remove - factory or otherwise (some exceptions, factory restricted rs125 for example). So easy in fact, I believe for the factory Triumph ones, they also make a 'tamperproof' one - which I believe is put on with a little certified lead stamp that is broken when the kit is removed

Just noticed this post.
    Down south the only option was the F1 kit which was expensive. When I phoned the dealer up North they gave me the option of putting the washers at the carbs or the F1 kit; the washers were half the price.
    As long as they fitted the washers and checked the output of the motor then they supplied an official Suzuki Certificate of restriction with is registered with Suzuki UK/Ireland.
    When my wife got her insurance through Liberty they just asked for the Cert number. They then contacted Suzuki and confirmed that it was all registered, then they gave her a 30% discount - there was no hassle or messing around.

Just on this, it's Theory, Learner Permit, IBT, Road. And the insurance company will insure you but may ask for the IBT to be shown within a certain amount of time.

Yeah, you're right, but what I meant was that the Learner Permit doesn't count unless you have an accompanying IBT cert to validate it. ;)

The 16hr IBT is a joke to be honest. I taught CBT's in Scotland for 8yrs and is a one day course. The whole point isn't to rip anyone off but instead ensure that complete novice students are safe to ride their bike home. It contains exactly the same modules but are not drawn out over such a long time. In all the hundreds of students I trained through the CBT and then successfully through their Prt2 test I can count on one hand the people who took anymore than 6-8yrs instruction to comfortably pass the assessment.
    I totally agree with it being introduced, but typical Ireland - take a 1 day course costing around £70-£80 that's been massively successfully for over 20yrs in the UK, get their own professor to muck around with it all and turn it into a 16hr course costing €350-€600 (1st quote I got last year was €650 for the missus).

How can we get young blood into biking if we're gonna make it all so expensive! To keep biking alive it needs to be semi-affordable to the young.

The IBT is essential to improve rider safety before taking to the road but re-assess it's length of time which will then bring the price down!! :D

Yeah, you're right, but what I meant was that the Learner Permit doesn't count unless you have an accompanying IBT cert to validate it. ;)

The 16hr IBT is a joke to be honest. I taught CBT's in Scotland for 8yrs and is a one day course. The whole point isn't to rip anyone off but instead ensure that complete novice students are safe to ride their bike home. It contains exactly the same modules but are not drawn out over such a long time. In all the hundreds of students I trained through the CBT and then successfully through their Prt2 test I can count on one hand the people who took anymore than 6-8yrs instruction to comfortably pass the assessment.
    I totally agree with it being introduced, but typical Ireland - take a 1 day course costing around £70-£80 that's been massively successfully for over 20yrs in the UK, get their own professor to muck around with it all and turn it into a 16hr course costing €350-€600 (1st quote I got last year was €650 for the missus).

How can we get young blood into biking if we're gonna make it all so expensive! To keep biking alive it needs to be semi-affordable to the young.

The IBT is essential to improve rider safety before taking to the road but re-assess it's length of time which will then bring the price down!! :D
    its a bit of a joke really. Im looking to get a 125cc scooter for my 5km trek to work/college and back. €700 for "bike", €500 for IBT, €100? for helmet (anyone know of a good place online for one of these?) so that i can troddle along at 20km/h. a scooter is as easy to ride as a bicycle.

its actually cheaper and far more dangerous for me to get a car. if i have an accident on a scooter, ill likely have a bad fall and walk away hopefully. im not going to be doing much damage to anything else. if im in a car though, i could kill countless people. yet no car driver needs to go through an IBT.

insurance is another joke. AON gave me a quote for 3rd party/fire/theft @ €1600!! liberty gave me a far more reasonable fully comp @ €510. even then i think its a bit high.

its a bit of a joke really. Im looking to get a 125cc scooter for my 5km trek to work/college and back. €700 for "bike", €500 for IBT, €100? for helmet (anyone know of a good place online for one of these?) so that i can troddle along at 20km/h. a scooter is as easy to ride as a bicycle.

its actually cheaper and far more dangerous for me to get a car. if i have an accident on a scooter, ill likely have a bad fall and walk away hopefully. im not going to be doing much damage to anything else. if im in a car though, i could kill countless people. yet no car driver needs to go through an IBT.

insurance is another joke. AON gave me a quote for 3rd party/fire/theft @ €1600!! liberty gave me a far more reasonable fully comp @ €510. even then i think its a bit high.

Buy your helmet in a store, you need to try it on for a good fit. If it is too tight you'll be in pretty bad pain.

New learners in Cars do have to do 12 mandatory hours of lessons.

That Liberty insurance quote is roughly what my buddy was quoted, try to do IBT with a guy that throws in an insurance assessment for free. That's an immediate 20% off.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Littleirishman

Buy your helmet in a store, you need to try it on for a good fit. If it is too tight you'll be in pretty bad pain.

New learners in Cars do have to do 12 mandatory hours of lessons.

That Liberty insurance quote is roughly what my buddy was quoted, try to do IBT with a guy that throws in an insurance assessment for free. That's an immediate 20% off.

Do you know any that do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,003 ✭✭✭Wossack

Just noticed this post.
    Down south the only option was the F1 kit which was expensive. When I phoned the dealer up North they gave me the option of putting the washers at the carbs or the F1 kit; the washers were half the price.
    As long as they fitted the washers and checked the output of the motor then they supplied an official Suzuki Certificate of restriction with is registered with Suzuki UK/Ireland.
    When my wife got her insurance through Liberty they just asked for the Cert number. They then contacted Suzuki and confirmed that it was all registered, then they gave her a 30% discount - there was no hassle or messing around.

very good. Yea I'd heard of suzi re-certifying bikes as restricted, great service that - Im not sure if any of the other manufacturers do similar. You probably got a better insurance reduction too (going factory over aftermarket restriction), and can subsequently sell it easier, and for more monies (probably). Good call

• Advertisement

Do you know any that do that?

Depends on your location. I did it with Roadskill in Waterford. He WON'T just write you us for the insurance assessment, you have to actually be decent enough at riding to get it. You have to show that you're safe on the road. He is a good guy though. He posts here a bit actually which is how I heard of him. http://www.roadskill.ie/site/

Depends on your location. I did it with Roadskill in Waterford. He WON'T just write you us for the insurance assessment, you have to actually be decent enough at riding to get it. You have to show that you're safe on the road. He is a good guy though. He posts here a bit actually which is how I heard of him. http://www.roadskill.ie/site/
    thanks for the link. roadskill looks the business. I think ill go there and use the B&B option.

is anyone else looking to do IBT that would go to waterford? if we pair up there is a huge saving in it. Im hoping to get it done any time before christmas really.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭designbydan

thanks for the link. roadskill looks the business. I think ill go there and use the B&B option.

is anyone else looking to do IBT that would go to waterford? if we pair up there is a huge saving in it. Im hoping to get it done any time before christmas really.

I'm looking to go this week or as soon as, if you're interested. I was just about to PM him now and send a text to the number on the website to ask about dates.

Let me know if/when you can go and I'll go down with you .

(Living in Dublin, had planned to get the train down)

I'll wait to contact them till you reply, I don't wanna hassle them too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭kierank01

quick question about applying for a learner permit.

I already have a full car license.
    Do I submit this with the application form?

If I do, do I need to have an eyesight form?

I will be submitting this by post, so If I have sent off my car drivers license, I won't be carrying this with me while driving, which I think I am required to do.

kierank01 wrote: »
    quick question about applying for a learner permit.

I already have a full car license.
    Do I submit this with the application form?

If I do, do I need to have an eyesight form?

I will be submitting this by post, so If I have sent off my car drivers license, I won't be carrying this with me while driving, which I think I am required to do.

Got mine the other week, The woman behind the counter asked me for my drivers licence, I didn't need a new eyesight from, ( tho I do wear glasses ) my new bike licence has the eyesight restriction on it. I got my full Car licence in 2009 if that helps at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭kierank01

Got mine the other week, The woman behind the counter asked me for my drivers licence, I didn't need a new eyesight from, ( tho I do wear glasses ) my new bike licence has the eyesight restriction on it. I got my full Car licence in 2009 if that helps at all.

Cool, I'll send it off, and hope I don't get stopped while it's in the post...

kierank01 wrote: »
    Cool, I'll send it off, and hope I don't get stopped while it's in the post...

You dont need it while driving. just need to produce it within 10 days if stopped and asked to. you can produce it at a station of your choice. you should be fine, don't drive like an idiot and they'll have no reason to stop you. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭boxty

Hi, I hope someone may be able to answer a question I have. I am over 24 and interested in getting a motorcycle licence. I have sat my theory test and am awaiting my learner permit. My query relates to the next step. As I understand it, under the new regime due to come on stream in January, the most efficient thing for me to do is to opt to go the 'direct entry' route and sit modules 1, 3(now) and 5(in jan), rather all 4 now and then 5 in jan. The problem is that no school I have contacted is aware of module 5.

Have I got my wires crossed or can someone point me in the direction of a school offering modules 1, 3 and 5 and an idea of the cost. I'd like to do this asap and ideally in Dublin.

Thanks. Apologies if I have things arseways

boxty wrote: »
    Hi, I hope someone may be able to answer a question I have. I am over 24 and interested in getting a motorcycle licence. I have sat my theory test and am awaiting my learner permit. My query relates to the next step. As I understand it, under the new regime due to come on stream in January, the most efficient thing for me to do is to opt to go the 'direct entry' route and sit modules 1, 3(now) and 5(in jan), rather all 4 now and then 5 in jan. The problem is that no school I have contacted is aware of module 5.

Have I got my wires crossed or can someone point me in the direction of a school offering modules 1, 3 and 5 and an idea of the cost. I'd like to do this asap and ideally in Dublin.

Thanks. Apologies if I have things arseways

I've no idea of the price of module 5 in Jan. But I do know that if you're planning on riding a bike before Jan you'll have to sit all 4 modules before you (Legally) can.

Why not just wait till Jan 19th then do all three together? rather than 1 and 3 now?

Other than that, if you want to ride a bike ASAP then you'll have to do all 4 current ones and then just do 5 in Jan if you plan to ride a larger bike then.

( thats my current plan - Im too impatient to wait till Jan lol )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭cullenswood

Hi Guys,

Great thread.

Couple of questions from a complete newbie, in his mid thirties, whose only motorbike experience was 13 years ago on a scooter in Crete!

Anyway I commute daily on the bus from Enfield to IFSC. I was thinking of going down the motor bike route as my work has changed and I may now be working hours whereby the timetable might not suit.

How long would this commute roughly take (40km give or take).
    I have to wear a suit, how does this work out for bikers. Would I have to change once I get into work, or would my gear be fine over the suit (obviously not the suit jacket)?
    My weekly commute costs €30 on the bus. What would petrol be like for a 80km round trip. I wouldn't be going for a massive sized engine, probably a 250 of somesort. I am not thinking of changing to bikes to save money, just time, so I know it would be cheaper to stay on the bus!

Cheers

Advertisement