Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Phone 8 (codename Apollo)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

how much worse HTC S8 is lads? its only 309eu on expansys.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

how much worse HTC S8 is lads? its only 309eu on expansys.

It has less memory, not as good of a screen and design cues are a person’s choice :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Looks like the 8X is available on Meteors website now. There's quite a huge difference in price vs Three as well.

You would swear they didn't want Windows Phone to sell. Nearly 100e more expensive than sim free!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

I'm still undecided between the Lumia and Nexus 4.
    I'd like to give windows phone a chance but I see lots of problems reported on the wpcentral forums and then the verge has this story.
    http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/18/3660974/htc-8x-lumia-920-reboot-freezing-battery-issues

I'd accuse them of being biased if I had noticed the forum threads myself the other day.
    Makes me weary of going near WP8. :(

dloob wrote: »
    I'm still undecided between the Lumia and Nexus 4.
    I'd like to th windows phone a chance but I see lots of problems reported on the wpcentral forums and then the verge has this story.
    http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/18/3660974/htc-8x-lumia-920-reboot-freezing-battery-issues

I'd accuse them of being biased if I had noticed the forum threads myself the other day.
    Makes me weary of going near WP8. :(

Read both of those. Seems some are faulty and some aren't. Hard to know who to blame. I presume it's OEMs not doing the firmware right. Maybe things were rushed.

Random reboots for a HTC phone sound normal though. My HTC Titan drove me crazy with that. I'll wait and see for a little longer.

Sounds a bit like death javu what happened with the Lumia800 in tthe start.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Digitalism

Anyone know of any apps similar to cabbage on the windows phone market that works with meteor? IM having trouble with SendU and Webtexter!

Digitalism wrote: »
    Anyone know of any apps similar to cabbage on the windows phone market that works with meteor? IM having trouble with SendU and Webtexter!

Noelle

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Wife got a HTC 8X and I think it's the bees knees. Much as I love android and being able to customize the rom, I just love the UI and I'm converting when my upgrade becomes available.

It helps though that I'm a dot Net developer so writing my own useful tile and apps makes sense to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Wife got a HTC 8X and I think it's the bees knees. Much as I love android and being able to customize the rom, I just love the UI and I'm converting when my upgrade becomes available.

It helps though that I'm a dot Net developer so writing my own useful tile and apps makes sense to me.

Down load the tools now, you don't need a windows phone to start now. You can use the inbuilt emulator. :)

http://dev.windowsphone.com/en-us

http://www.itproportal.com/2012/11/19/microsoft-releases-skydrive-developer-tools-including-windows-phone-8-net-sdks/

Do some operators have 8x and 8s on display? I would love to go and have a go at them to decide for sure if I like it.

• Advertisement

Do some operators have 8x and 8s on display? I would love to go and have a go at them to decide for sure if I like it.

Three stores in Dublin

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Three have an 8x up on Grafton Street. Evolutionqy7 mentioned one somewhere else too, Henry Street I think.

Damn, there is no 3 in my town. O2, meteor, Vodafone, carphone

Dunno when I will get to go to cork city. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Played with the 8X in Three's Patrick St. Store this morning. It is nice. Really surprised by how much I liked it because I didn't care for it at all from the pics. I just thought it was a cheap riff on the lumia, but in the hand it's very distinct. Screen is small relative to the size of the device though.

I'm having a lot of issues with the 8X at the moment. Constant reboots, up to 5 a day and I've seen a message about sim card not valid 9 times in the last day, all requiring a restart.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

chrislad wrote: »
    I'm having a lot of issues with the 8X at the moment. Constant reboots, up to 5 a day and I've seen a message about sim card not valid 9 times in the last day, all requiring a restart.

Seems to be a Windows phone 8 problem in general.

Seems to be a Windows phone 8 problem in general.

Yup, so I will be getting rid. I can't be dealing with this 10 times a day and waiting for a fix to a problem that hasn't been acknowledged. I know the rebooting thing seems to be a WP8 issue, but the sim one seems to be all HTC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭AngryLips

I've had mine two weeks now I think and I've only had about four or five reboots

Wow! I though it was more rare then that!

These reboot things would be super annoying for me. Ffs I really don't want w8 phones to suck! I like those damn bastards!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Jaysus that's not good.:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭PaulieC

is it not a mini-SIM card issue ? I see that sporadically on my Lumia 800. Used to happen quite a lot when I got it, but hasn't happened for a long time

is it not a mini-SIM card issue ? I see that sporadically on my Lumia 800. Used to happen quite a lot when I got it, but hasn't happened for a long time

It's definitely not a sim card issue. I used the sim in a Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note 2 with no issues. I did a replacement anyway just in case. Same problem. It's just gotten worse and worse in the past few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Sounds like just dirt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Wow! I though it was more rare then that!

These reboot things would be super annoying for me. Ffs I really don't want w8 phones to suck! I like those damn bastards!

It seems worryingly common.
    I guess we'll see as more boardsies get phones.

dloob wrote: »
    It seems worryingly common.
    I guess we'll see as more boardsies get phones.

Expansys have agreed a refund (weirdly, they don't do exchanges. You get a refund and rebuy it....) - lady on phone didn't seem surprised....

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Just bought the 8x...its alri!

Best advice I can give you is to keep a close eye. I had no issues for the first 10 days, then the reboots started, closely following by saying my sim wasn't detected. Shame, as I loved the phone.

Is it good? Where did you got it?

Most important: keep an eye on the whole reboot thing. This actually quite stopped me from looking in to deeper in to w8 until it is acknowledged by MS and they are sorting it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Theres a 8s or 8x in the emobile shop in blanch. Had a quick play with it. Very thin phone was the main thing I noticed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Just bought it on 3 ShadowHearth...wish i had paid attention to this thread before buying it.

...bloody thing just rebooted itself when I was typing a message:( what a joke. Bought it on a whim because my Optimus 7 was driving me nuts with it's rebooting.

It'll be going back if this becomes a consistent problem.:mad:

That being said, the screen is gorgeous, it has a great feel in the hand, not too big like the S3 and not too small like the iphone 4. Camera seems good (its one of the main reasons i even looked at it).

God damn it...buyers remorse...just a tad...due to the reboot.

Advertisement