Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Phone 8 (codename Apollo)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Just bought it on 3 ShadowHearth...wish i had paid attention to this thread before buying it.

...bloody thing just rebooted itself when I was typing a message:( what a joke. Bought it on a whim because my Optimus 7 was driving me nuts with it's rebooting.

It'll be going back if this becomes a consistent problem.:mad:

That being said, the screen is gorgeous, it has a great feel in the hand, not too big like the S3 and not too small like the iphone 4. Camera seems good (its one of the main reasons i even looked at it).

God damn it...buyers remorse...just a tad...due to the reboot.

Feck man! Keep us posted about reboots please.

I was thinking of buying misses 8S as a early Xmas present to swap her ****y Sony Ericsson. So I could see how good is w8 and if I really liked it, I would have gotten X8 for myself.
    Now I don't really know if I want w8 :(. This reboot problem might be even worse thnen androids slowing down crap. Someone mentioned w7 devices had same issue too? Still not sorted out?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

No problems so far today. The screen is gorgeous and its incredibly slick. If you've used wp7 then you'll feel right at home, some nice tweaks here and there and better performance in things like the browser and the camera.

Haven't had a chance to really use the camera, and that was one of the main reasons for buying it!

Right to recap, still worried about rebooting, bit so far its only happened once. Otherwise im very impressed.

How's browser and YouTube m8? Separate app like iPhones and androids?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

YouTube is a separate app. Metrotube is great though. Best YouTube application ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

I never had reboot issues with my HTC HD7 when I first got it, but about once or twice a fortnight it would go dead in the middle of the night (even though plugged in) and the alarm wouldn't go off. It was fixed after an update and has been rock solid since then - I would say I've not rebooted in 2 months at this stage.

Bit worried that I might be reintroducing stability issues by getting one of the new generation phones. The hassle of being an early adopter..

• Advertisement

I never had reboot issues with my HTC HD7 when I first got it, but about once or twice a fortnight it would go dead in the middle of the night (even though plugged in) and the alarm wouldn't go off. It was fixed after an update and has been rock solid since then - I would say I've not rebooted in 2 months at this stage.

Bit worried that I might be reintroducing stability issues by getting one of the new generation phones. The hassle of being an early adopter..

Never had anything like that on the HD7, though I only had that for a couple of months. My Titan was rock solid till about the 8th
    month where it went crazy and would reboot constantly. Sent away for repair and they replaced the mother board which even made it worse.

Let's hope the Ativ S doesn't have the same issues when it comes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

When do they expect win8 to be out? I've been nursing a sick HTC titan waiting for 8 to come out. It's turning itself off and needed a reset recently. It's taken some fair abuse though.

ScumLord wrote: »
    When do they expect win8 to be out? I've been nursing a sick HTC titan waiting for 8 to come out. It's turning itself off and needed a reset recently. It's taken some fair abuse though.

That's what happened to mine. I got the shop I bought it in to replace it after it went away three times for repair.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

ScumLord wrote: »
    When do they expect win8 to be out?
    It's already out, but availability isn't great yet. You can get the HTC 8X through Three. I don't think any other phones/networks are out yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

stevenmu wrote: »
    It's already out, but availability isn't great yet. You can get the HTC 8X through Three. I don't think any other phones/networks are out yet.
    I'll have to wait for vodafone so I can upgrade for free.
    That's what happened to mine. I got the shop I bought it in to replace it after it went away three times for repair.
    It doesn't happen regularly enough for me to send it off for repair but it means the phone isn't dependable enough to really depend on it for stuff as I could always end up having everything deleted due to having to reset the phone.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Browser is very good, and very fast. A very noticeable difference between my last WP7 device. It renders the desktop version of sites perfectly(so far) and I really have no complaints.

Had another reboot today...:o

Don't know whether to persist, as it appears to be a WP8 issue, rather than hardware, or take it back. My old phone is completely dead, so I really am stuck.

What do you guys reckon? Take it back and see if a replacement will make a difference? I only have it a day, so i'm pretty confident they'll swap it straight for me. Well I wouldn't accept anything less tbh!

Browser is very good, and very fast. A very noticeable difference between my last WP7 device. It renders the desktop version of sites perfectly(so far) and I really have no complaints.

Had another reboot today...:o

Don't know whether to persist, as it appears to be a WP8 issue, rather than hardware, or take it back. My old phone is completely dead, so I really am stuck.

What do you guys reckon? Take it back and see if a replacement will make a difference? I only have it a day, so i'm pretty confident they'll swap it straight for me. Well I wouldn't accept anything less tbh!

Some people said that these are cause by Facebook and Skype application. Try removing those and see how it works? If not just try to get a replacement

Some people said that these are cause by Facebook and Skype application. Try removing those and see how it works? If not just try to get a replacement

Done and done. Will see how I go!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭KingOfFairview

Has Zune been phased out entirely with wp8?

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    I`d take it back right away if it was me. I saw a number of people in the states using the handset, looked really nice. MS are really pushing the marketing for Win 8 phones. Everywhere you look there was billboards. Fingers crosses it gains some more marketshare.

thats what i am hoping for too. i want there to be one more strong power in mobile industry. more competition more choice for us and smaller prices.

i am afraid to go near W8 now though, this reboot thing can really be a pain in a gap.

Taking it back tomorrow.

Gave it to my brother for him to have a look, and he noticed there's a rattle inside the case:mad: Something is actually loose inside it:mad:

The phone hasn't been dropped, and is 2 days old. Hopefully they have a replacement for me tomorrow morning.

Taking it back tomorrow.

Gave it to my brother for him to have a look, and he noticed there's a rattle inside the case:mad: Something is actually loose inside it:mad:

The phone hasn't been dropped, and is 2 days old. Hopefully they have a replacement for me tomorrow morning.
    God dammit. That's unlucky. I know nexus 4 was reported to have rattle too. How the feck do these phones pass the testing?!

After some googling, it seems the rattle seems to be pretty common. It's still going back though, and I'll give a second one a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I've been using WP8 on a Nokia 920 for a couple of weeks now and absolutely loving it.

Very refreshing after being an iphone user for many years. I love the concept of the tiles. The live tiles can use up battery life but they're easy enough to switch off.

And there's been no tech issues at all. The Lumia 920 is a solid well built piece of kit so no issues with it either.

Seems to be a Windows phone 8 problem in general.

I dont think so.

Unless I'm just lucky. I've been using WP8 on a Nokia 920 for a couple of weeks now and havent had any reboots.

No issues at all.

• Advertisement

Has Zune been phased out entirely with wp8?

anyone? surely this is a straightforward Y or N?

My phone does not connect with Zune. Pain in the ass:(

Got another HTC 8X this morning.

Checked it in the shop and couldn't hear a rattle, it was only when i was home that i could hear the rattle again. Second phone has the same issue:mad:

Don't know what to do. Keep it or just take it back for good.

I noticed as well that my last 8X had a problem where by the light would leak out the bottom of the device through the charger port. It looked like you had a crappy torch on the whole time.

No reboots so far.

My advice to anyone thinking of getting this phone. Buy it in a shop if yours going to do it. Otherwise you may have a much bigger headache!

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Queerdub

InTheTrees wrote: »
    I've been using WP8 on a Nokia 920 for a couple of weeks now and absolutely loving it.

Very refreshing after being an iphone user for many years. I love the concept of the tiles. The live tiles can use up battery life but they're easy enough to switch off.

And there's been no tech issues at all. The Lumia 920 is a solid well built piece of kit so no issues with it either.

where did you get yours? Which colour? I'm thinking of getting one from Clove. Not sure whether to get yellow or red...

How are photos with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

hasn't it been rebranded xbox music?

gman2k wrote: »
    hasn't it been rebranded xbox music?
    well, that's what I heard, but I was wondering how that's functionally different. Is it drag and drop?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

My phone does not connect with Zune. Pain in the ass:(

Got another HTC 8X this morning.

Checked it in the shop and couldn't hear a rattle, it was only when i was home that i could hear the rattle again. Second phone has the same issue:mad:

Don't know what to do. Keep it or just take it back for good.

I noticed as well that my last 8X had a problem where by the light would leak out the bottom of the device through the charger port. It looked like you had a crappy torch on the whole time.

No reboots so far.

My advice to anyone thinking of getting this phone. Buy it in a shop if yours going to do it. Otherwise you may have a much bigger headache!

The rattle is probably the motor that makes the phone vibrate?

The rattle is probably the motor that makes the phone vibrate?

That's what I've read, but it's a bit disconcerting being able to here it.

I mean every phone since the late 90's has had a vibrate function and I've never heard it rattle at all. I'm going to persist for a few days and see how I fair.

It seems to me like this part of an early batch, with not the best build quality.

well, that's what I heard, but I was wondering how that's functionally different. Is it drag and drop?

You can use a Windows Phone companion application or just drag and drop. Phone comes up as a mass storage device when plugged into the PC

Queerdub wrote: »
    where did you get yours? Which colour? I'm thinking of getting one from Clove. Not sure whether to get yellow or red...

How are photos with it?

I'm in the usa and its a AT&T.

Black. I get sweaty palms and I wanted the matte finish rather than the glossy slippery colours.

Absolutely brilliant so far. Love it. (And I love WP8.)

Beautifully built too. It feels Solid as a rock. (no rattles and no reboots!)

The colours of the display are amazing. The black of the display is so ... black... that it blends into the case. It makes all the colours very vibrant. Way way better than the iphones "retina".

The camera is great too. High res, and I tried to take a blurry picture but it always seemed to correct. Low light is incredible too, very impressive. Lenses and settings are a little confusing though. But I'm not a very prolific photographer.

Overall I'm loving it. Its solidity and ruggedness is really nice after the "delicacy" of the iphone. With my old iphones first thing I'd do is buy a case, the 920 doesnt need it. A case would be overkill. And the shape and feel of it is really pleasant as well, it feels good to hold.

What else? The Nokia software is good. City Lens is impressive, kinda fun but almost useless. Nokia Maps are really good. Saves maps locally so no loading.

Cant think of anything else right now...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Queerdub

InTheTrees wrote: »
    I'm in the usa and its a AT&T.

Black. I get sweaty palms and I wanted the matte finish rather than the glossy slippery colours.

Absolutely brilliant so far. Love it. (And I love WP8.)

Beautifully built too. It feels Solid as a rock. (no rattles and no reboots!)

The colours of the display are amazing. The black of the display is so ... black... that it blends into the case. It makes all the colours very vibrant. Way way better than the iphones "retina".

The camera is great too. High res, and I tried to take a blurry picture but it always seemed to correct. Low light is incredible too, very impressive. Lenses and settings are a little confusing though. But I'm not a very prolific photographer.

Overall I'm loving it. Its solidity and ruggedness is really nice after the "delicacy" of the iphone. With my old iphones first thing I'd do is buy a case, the 920 doesnt need it. A case would be overkill. And the shape and feel of it is really pleasant as well, it feels good to hold.

What else? The Nokia software is good. City Lens is impressive, kinda fun but almost useless. Nokia Maps are really good. Saves maps locally so no loading.

Cant think of anything else right now...

Brilliant, thanks.

Trying to buy online from Ireland is such a pain. Price ends up at 665/668EUR, delivery charge being 25 or so. Maybe I should take the plunge as I don't want to wait...

Advertisement