Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Movie stars with a perfect filmography?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭livdmg

No such thing exists, They all make a few bad movies. Ryan Gosling has been good so far but my fav (though with a fair few dodgy movies) is Sean Connery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

livdmg wrote: »
    No such thing exists, They all make a few bad movies. Ryan Gosling has been good so far but my fav (though with a fair few dodgy movies) is Sean Connery.

Poor Sean couldnt resist a good payday. Zardoz and Highlander 2 were pretty low points. He's still a legend though

I cant remember Woody Harrelson having any bad movies yet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

it's amazing that this thread goes on for the 100 post mark. . .
    There is no such thing as a perfect filmography. What's good and what's bad is completely a matter of opinion.
    I don't think there has ever been an actor (even my favourite ones) that they didn't play to at least a movie that I didn't like

For me, it's more important who the director is. That's what I consider the spine of a film. That would be an interesting debate (and again, of course, it would be a matter of opinion).

P.S. . . . but the fact that this thread started on the notion that Tom Cruise's filmography is perfect (among other reasons, on the ground that his movies are big box office hits). . . seriously???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Streep's filmography is fantastic actually, although I personally didn't enjoy Lions for Lambs, AI or Rendition. Not of them are 'crap' though, just my personal taste.

Judi Dench was in a lot of nonsense though. Doogal, Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides, The Chronicles of Riddick, Home on the Range. Not to mention Die Another Day and Quantum of Solace, probably the two worst Bond movies of my lifetime.

Ah c'mon, she was in Pirates for a grand total of 7 seconds as nothing more than a cameo. I don't think that really counts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

This thread could go on for ages so I think it's fair to say that no actor has a perfect filmography that everyone could agree on.

...but that's film, all about the opinions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Sean Penn was is Shanghai Surprise, Tom Hanks was in Joe Versus Volcano, Tom Hanks was in Cocktail..

Cazale is the only one, him and Carrie Henn.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Meryl Streep.

One of the finest.

+ judi dench - thou always very much the same- usuallly done extremely well.

Nothing compares to Meryl.

KramerVKramer, The Deer Hunter, Out of Africa, the hilarious Mamma Mia...

Streep does have an impressive filmography alright, Death Becomes Her is fcuking hilarious.

how about Cate Blanchett? some average/not great but no really terrible movies.

How about Saoirse Ronan?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

bullvine wrote: »
    How about Saoirse Ronan?
    Hanna wasn't particularly good; an interesting experiment of an art-house action film, but a bit of a failed one at that.

It wasn't pants though. I thought it was ok, its got a decent rating on RT as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭gregers85

I think its impossible - every Actor at some point in there career has made a howler of a film ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,010 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

bullvine wrote: »
    Cazale is the only one, him and Carrie Henn.

Oh good call on Carrie Henn.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Oh good call on Carrie Henn.:D

Her filmography is mostly good mostly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

krudler wrote: »
    Streep does have an impressive filmography alright, Death Becomes Her is fcuking hilarious.

how about Cate Blanchett? some average/not great but no really terrible movies.

I think you have forgotten about a certain Indiana Jones film.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Paddy2012

Brad Pitt's filmography is pretty decent

Its impossible, Cool World for Brad Pitt..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭PaulB1984

You keep mentioning debate but I really don't think it means what you think it does. Any time anyone has disagreed with you, you have replied with well I think they are so you're wrong. It's like arguing with a child or an idiot, no matter what any of us says you'll just reply with some nonsense about how you're right and were all wrong. Your criteria is also odd, Cazale can't have a perfect CV because he only made 4 films. Cruise is a great actor because he's never had a flop. By that reasoning Spacey can't be considered a great as he's had a few flops.

The fact that you think Adam Sandlet is one of the greats says it all. Jesus, the man is cinematic bile. Sure he's been in some good films but they don't excuse crap like Jack and Jill.

I was actually defending Tom Cruise against anyone with anything nasty to say, by pointing out that every movie the man starred in was a hit, so people calling him a what was it someone said? A midget? And someone claiming because i like him, i jump on couches? The man is box office gold, which is why studios lavish him with huge paychecks and watch as his latest movie soars, while his haters actually make fun of his fans as sport and then complain when their called on it.

As for debate, let me explain. I say i like a movie, you say it's rubbish, i challenge you on that, to which you go into a little further detail rather than saying "Wrong, crap movie, i'm entitled to my opinion, you're horrible, leave me in peace etc". More like what you've just done by putting down Adam Sandler, he was someone else's choice and i agreed, so why must you chime in? Are we not entitled to our opinion without you questioning us? Let us try a debate now... I love Adam Sandler, i have done for years, i can explain why i love him and why i love his movies. Here's your side of the debate... You don't like him, explain why, pick a Sandler movie you don't like, explain why. Pretty much the way i defended Far And Away toward the top of this thread.

Paddy2012 wrote: »

Oceans 12, The Devils Own, The Mexican, Mr. & Mrs. Smith

Paddy2012 wrote: »

Here's a member who completely grasps the concept. Bravo Paddy2012 and great choice, Brad has a huge list of classic movies. Everyone else learn from Paddy!

PaulB1984 wrote: »
    I was actually defending Tom Cruise against anyone with anything nasty to say, by pointing out that every movie the man starred in was a hit, so people calling him a what was it someone said? A midget? And someone claiming because i like him, i jump on couches? The man is box office gold, which is why studios lavish him with huge paychecks and watch as his latest movie soars, while his haters actually make fun of his fans as sport and then complain when their called on it.

As for debate, let me explain. I say i like a movie, you say it's rubbish, i challenge you on that, to which you go into a little further detail rather than saying "Wrong, crap movie, i'm entitled to my opinion, you're horrible, leave me in peace etc". More like what you've just done by putting down Adam Sandler, he was someone else's choice and i agreed, so why must you chime in? Are we not entitled to our opinion without you questioning us? Let us try a debate now... I love Adam Sandler, i have done for years, i can explain why i love him and why i love his movies. Here's your side of the debate... You don't like him, explain why, pick a Sandler movie you don't like, explain why. Pretty much the way i defended Far And Away toward the top of this thread.

Grown Ups. It had no story and wasn't funny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

I don't think I've ever seen a Joaquin Phoenix film I haven't enjoyed. Yes, I even enjoyed The Village!

Grown Ups. It had no story and wasn't funny.

I taught grown ups was very funny, Now Jack and Jill and thats my boy - thumbs down

Again, box office return does not mean that someone is a great actor. By your reckoning if Cruise's next film is a massive failure then he can no longer be in your eyes a great actor.

People, myself included have attempted to discuss this with you but you refuse to. Everyone of your posts comes across as I'm right and you're wrong. Also you say that someone picks Sandler, you agree and then I chime in with my opinion as if that's a bad thing. . I think you may need to go and look up the definition of the word.

As I said Sandler has made a few decent films but most of them are beyond bad, Jack and Jill is one of the worst things ever made and only someone with an IQ in single figures could find it anything other than unwatchable. Seriously, it is beyond bad.

It's clear that you don't want debate, you just want other people to post how they agree with you and say things like "Oh Paul, what great taste you have". If you wanted debate you would respond to people with something more than well that's my opinion and I'm right while you are wrong.

I don't think I've ever seen a Joaquin Phoenix film I haven't enjoyed. Yes, I even enjoyed The Village!

Good Call on that one!!

Here's a member who completely grasps the concept. Bravo Paddy2012 and great choice, Brad has a huge list of classic movies. Everyone else learn from Paddy!

Pretty sure that everyone here has grasped the concept, you've just refused to acknowledge anyone who hasn't agreed with your choices.

Jaoquin Phoenix is a good shout, but The Yards and We own the night weren't great, not terrible mind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,150 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Or what? You'll take your ball and go home?

You're posting bull**** and defending it as being your irrefutable opinion, well tough luck, opinions, just like any other statement, theories and /or beliefs can (and should) be questioned.

Only a handful of actors (two so far identified in this thread) have managed the "perfect filmography" of having never appeared in a bad movie and I'm sure Cazale, at least, would rather have starred in some god-awful ****e like Far & Away, The Devils Own or Jack & Jill than died from cancer though, in fairness, you'd never know, artists can be a funny lot sometimes.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Nobody's getting nasty, go to After Hours if want nasty, but the premise of your argument by your own admission is box-office sales, which from the outset is a flawed argument. It ignores talent, craft, ability, charisma etc. etc. If you want to talk box-office, we'll talk box-office but as I said, most people here aren't naming actors whose films are 'hits', they're naming people who are / were amazing acting talents in their own right, irrespective of the vehicle they were in. I'm well aware at how discussion fora work thanks, I don't need pointers on how to jam, but what's a discussion forum without conflict, it's the essence of good drama, and you are somehwat curtailing your own debate with rules :)

Frankly, if you want my actual opinion and you want consistently great actors, real honest-to-god craftsmen, you go beyond the vacuous non-entities like Cruise and you search for the Character Actors, the professionals who always bring their a-game, but aren't always are top of the bill. I look to people like Phillip Seymour Hoffman (now a leading man, but not always), Frank Langella, Bryan Cranston etc. etc.. Jesus Cranston's got more natural acting talent than that midget 1-trick pony Cruise. He doesn't put bums on seats, but it's a bit shallow to rate the mans ability on that factor.

Open. Mouthed. :eek:

I defended Tom Cruise's work by pointing out that people like you calling the guy a "midget 1-trick pony" for no reason (Say it to his face, why don't ya? Or go on to his Twitter and say it, i dare you!). One of my most favourite movies in the world EVER and the first movie i ever bought is Van Damme's Sudden Death, a movie that made 20 million dollars at the worldwide box office, and cost more than that to make. So who rates what like what now?

Bryan Cranston, Phillip Seymour Hoffman etc... So at last, you post a few names instead of insulting everyone. Great.

Can a mod please tell me how to block people here? I'm fairly new and still trying to grasp some things.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

krudler wrote: »
    Paint Your Wagon and Dick Tracy.

Pacino was nominated for an Oscar for his role as Big Boy Caprice in that movie, so I wouldn't say that was one of his worst roles - he was actually pretty good in it.

I'd be looking more towards Revolution, Simone, Gigli, 88 Minutes, Righteous kill and Jack and Jill.

• Advertisement

I defended Tom Cruise's work by pointing out that people like you calling the guy a "midget 1-trick pony" for no reason (Say it to his face, why don't ya? Or go on to his Twitter and say it, i dare you!). One of my most favourite movies in the world EVER and the first movie i ever bought is Van Damme's Sudden Death, a movie that made 20 million dollars at the worldwide box office, and cost more than that to make. So who rates what like what now?

Bryan Cranston, Phillip Seymour Hoffman etc... So at last, you post a few names instead of insulting everyone. Great.

Can a mod please tell me how to block people here? I'm fairly new and still trying to grasp some things.

Your behaving like a complete asshole.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement