Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Movie stars with a perfect filmography?

• 20-11-2012 3:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭

I can name 2... Tom Cruise and Tom Hanks. I've seen and own every Tom Cruise movie ever made (Aside from his early non-starring roles, but everything from Risky Business to Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol... Holding off on buying M:i:GP until the Blu-Ray box set) and there isn't a movie i'd rate lower than 3 stars (Risky Business gets 3, everything else gets 4 to 5). Tom Hanks, save for his 2 recent movies, i've seen 'em all and own most, and again would rate none any lower than 3 stars. Anyone got any other stars?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

PaulB1984 wrote: »
    I can name 2... Tom Cruise and Tom Hanks. I've seen and own every Tom Cruise movie ever made (Aside from his early non-starring roles, but everything from Risky Business to Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol... Holding off on buying M:i:GP until the Blu-Ray box set) and there isn't a movie i'd rate lower than 3 stars (Risky Business gets 3, everything else gets 4 to 5). Tom Hanks, save for his 2 recent movies, i've seen 'em all and own most, and again would rate none any lower than 3 stars. Anyone got any other stars?

Far and Away blows your theory out of the water I'm afraid.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

I despise Tom Cruise, everything about him. I think i have managed to watch 3 of his movies from start to finish (Rock of Ages, Interview with a Vampire and Jerry Maguire)

Daniel Day Lewis and Leo DiCaprio would be mine, i dont recall either being in a poor movie(Even Titanic!!)

John Cazale is the closet you will come to an actor who has never made a bad film.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,330 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Melion wrote: »
    I despise Tom Cruise, everything about him. I think i have managed to watch 3 of his movies from start to finish (Rock of Ages, Interview with a Vampire and Jerry Maguire)

Daniel Day Lewis and Leo DiCaprio would be mine, i dont recall either being in a poor movie(Even Titanic!!)

Day Lewis was in that musical film nine wasn't he,was that any good?
    I haven't seen it,I'd say him otherwise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭PaulB1984

Roar wrote: »
    Far and Away blows your theory out of the water I'm afraid.

I think Far And Away is a beautiful movie, really well made, lovely locations, brilliant story and it's dripping in Ron Howard magic. Yeah the accents of Tom and Nicole needed a little more work, but i've heard far worse. A sorely underrated movie.

• Advertisement

Tom's an absolute legend, but fair enough, some people don't like him, i personally love him and all of his work, he's yet to fail me, and with Jack Reacher and All You Need Is Kill getting closer, i don't think he's about to.

Daniel Day Lewis - There Will Be Blood. One of the worst movies i've ever watched, horribly overrated.

Leo DiCaprio - The Beach (Eugh), and although we're not counting non-starring roles... Critters 3.

John Cazale is the closet you will come to an actor who has never made a bad film.

Not strictly fair as he only lived to make around 4 movies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Tom's an absolute legend, but fair enough, some people don't like him, i personally love him and all of his work, he's yet to fail me, and with Jack Reacher and All You Need Is Kill getting closer, i don't think he's about to.

Daniel Day Lewis - There Will Be Blood. One of the worst movies i've ever watched, horribly overrated.

Leo DiCaprio - The Beach (Eugh), and although we're not counting non-starring roles... Critters 3.

The Beach was one of LDC' best movies :confused:

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,131 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Nine ain't supposed to be very good, but i've not seen it so can't say for sure, Day Lewis comes closer than most though in fairness. But DiCaprio was in Critters 3!

As for Hanks and Cruise, well recently Cruise was in Knight & Day (almost unwatchable film) & let's not forget the abomination that was M:I 2. Hanks you could probably make a better case for. I'm sure some of his earlier films aren't all that, but I was so young when I saw them I can't really give an opinion now, regardless Demons & Angels and The DaVinci Code were both pretty poor.
    I think no matter how good an actor is they'll end up in a turkey or two, even if they themselves were still pretty good acting wise in said turkey.

The Beach was one of LDC' best movies :confused:

I've seen it one and a half times and just hated it completely. It ruined him entirely in my eyes, as did his ropey and awkward Jack performance in Titanic, Romeo + Juliet would be a truly stunning perfect movie had they skipped the horrific Shakespeare dialogue, they ruined what would have been a movie masterclass in my opinion, everything about that movie, including Leo's performance, is mindblowing. But the dialogue ruined every second of it. But Leo truly came into his own these days with stunners like Inception, Blood Diamond, The Departed, The Aviator etc... Wonderful actor.

• Advertisement

Not strictly fair as he only lived to make around 4 movies.

You asked, "Movie stars with a perfect filmography" and far as I can see Cazale is the only actor with a perfect filmography. Every actor has at least one bad film, Day Lewis, Cruise, De Niro, Pacino, Duvall, Bogart, Fonda, etc, etc. There is not one actor you can name who has a filmography as perfect as Cazale's. Sure his output was small but christ he made up for it in quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Youtoob Rich Hall's description of a Tom Cruise plot. Very funny.

Isn't he starring as Jack Reacher with the first installment hitting big screens soon.

Slightly unusual he was chosen for the role, thought they'd go for a younger actor as there's loads of books, so if the movies do well I can see a few films coming from it. Also, the character is 6' 4 in the books, Tom isn't quite that tall

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Nine ain't supposed to be very good, but i've not seen it so can't say for sure, Day Lewis comes closer than most though in fairness. But DiCaprio was in Critters 3!

As for Hanks and Cruise, well recently Cruise was in Knight & Day (almost unwatchable film) & let's not forget the abomination that was M:I 2. Hanks you could probably make a better case for. I'm sure some of his earlier films aren't all that, but I was so young when I saw them I can't really give an opinion now, regardless Demons & Angels and The DaVinci Code were both pretty poor.
    I think no matter how good an actor is they'll end up in a turkey or two, even if they themselves were still pretty goo acting wise in said turkey.

I love Knight And Day, it's got a few problems like Cameron Diaz constantly being knocked out and us missing some brilliant action, but it's a blast for what it is, a big silly spy action movie with amazing stunts and special effects. And the humour is some of Tom's very best, the script he got is brilliant, there's so many greats in there i can't even type one out. LOVE M:I 2! Love love love it! That's the movie that made me a TC fan. Brilliant story, John Woo delivering his beautiful style to the directing and the action is incredible, the motorbike chase makes me drool everytime i watch it, and the injection scene is action filmmaking at it's best. And moving to Tom Hanks, funny you should mention Angels & Demons, which just happens to be my favourite movie of his (Excluding the Toy Story trilogy as he provides voice). Recently tweeted my all-time top 20 favourite movies and A&D comes in at 20. I could rant on it, but maybe nobody wants to see that... I do go on a bit...

You asked, "Movie stars with a perfect filmography" and far as I can see Cazale is the only actor with a perfect filmography. Every actor has at least one bad film, Day Lewis, Cruise, De Niro, Pacino, Duvall, Bogart, Fonda, etc, etc. There is not one actor you can name who has a filmography as perfect as Cazale's. Sure his output was small but christ he made up for it in quality.

Maybe i should edit that title to "Movie stars with over 5 movies", lol. It's fairly hard to screw up in 4 movies, considering his roles in at least 2 are not even starring roles so much as supporting roles. Day-Lewis (Yep), Cruise (Nope), De Niro (Oh my GOD yes!), Pacino (Yep), Duvall (Can't think of a bad movie i've seen him in), Bogart (Haven't seen anything of his), Fonda (Which one?)

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,131 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Maybe i should edit that title to "Movie stars with over 5 movies", lol. It's fairly hard to screw up in 4 movies, considering his roles in at least 2 are not even starring roles so much as supporting roles. Day-Lewis (Yep), Cruise (Nope), De Niro (Oh my GOD yes!), Pacino (Yep), Duvall (Can't think of a bad movie i've seen him in), Bogart (Haven't seen anything of his), Fonda (Which one?)

Considering you used There Will Be Blood as part of your basis for Day Lewis not having a prefect filmography I think you should change the thread title to "Movie stars with what Paul1984 thinks are perfect filmographies" :pac:

The topic is kind of moot since we can only base how "perfect" a filmography is on our own subjective opinions anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

I've seen it one and a half times and just hated it completely. It ruined him entirely in my eyes, as did his ropey and awkward Jack performance in Titanic, Romeo + Juliet would be a truly stunning perfect movie had they skipped the horrific Shakespeare dialogue, they ruined what would have been a movie masterclass in my opinion, everything about that movie, including Leo's performance, is mindblowing. But the dialogue ruined every second of it. But Leo truly came into his own these days with stunners like Inception, Blood Diamond, The Departed, The Aviator etc... Wonderful actor.

Let not discount some his earleir work either, The Basketball Diaries and This Boys Life being two of my favorite Di Caprio films.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Considering you used There Will Be Blood as part of your basis for Day Lewis not having a prefect filmography I think you should change the thread title to "Movie stars with what Paul1984 thinks are perfect filmographies" :pac:

The topic is kind of moot since we can only base how "perfect" a filmography is on our own subjective opinions anyway.

LOL! Well, in fairness, there's good acting, and then there's bad overacting. There Will Be Blood suffers from #2.

Hmmm, the point of the thread 'is' for people's personal opinions on who they think has a perfect filmography. If anyone disagrees, that's when we have ourselves a debate :) For example... George Clooney... Another actor i can think of who's never appeared in a bad movie, none that i can think of anyway. If i'm wrong, tell me :)

Let not discount some his earleir work either, The Basketball Diaries and This Boys Life being two of my favorite Di Caprio films.

Two i hear massive things about are Marvin's Room and What's Eating Gilbert Grape. I've never seen either, but i hear nothing but great things.

To back up my opinion on Tom Cruise... He's never had a flop movie. Ever. Any movie he's ever made recouped at least it's budget and more.

Hmmm, the point of the thread 'is' for people's personal opinions on who they think has a perfect filmography. If anyone disagrees, that's when we have ourselves a debate :) For example... George Clooney... Another actor i can think of who's never appeared in a bad movie, none that i can think of anyway. If i'm wrong, tell me :)

Clooney is once more an actor with some truly terrible films on his CV and the point of this thread seems to be PaulB thinks such and such and if you disagree you're wrong.
    To back up my opinion on Tom Cruise... He's never had a flop movie. Ever. Any movie he's ever made recouped at least it's budget and more.

Don't think that making profitable films is the mark of a great actor, if that were the case then people Kirsten Stewart and the main cast of Twilight are all good actors.

• Advertisement

Oh, one more actor... Michael Keaton. Can anyone name a bad Michael Keaton movie? (And if i debate it with you, don't get upset, lol).

Clooney is once more an actor with some truly terrible films on his CV and the point of this thread seems to be PaulB thinks such and such and if you disagree you're wrong.

Don't think that making profitable films is the mark of a great actor, if that were the case then people Kirsten Stewart and the main cast of Twilight are all good actors.

Who said anyone was wrong? Name these bad George Clooney movies, of course i'll tell you you're wrong as i've just stated he's never made a bad movie. It doesn't mean you are wrong, you're supposed to debate.

Twilight 1 and 3 are fantastic movies. Am i wrong? Tell me so. And tell me why. This is nothing to do with my opinions, it's all of our opinions to which we debate on everything. Or do we just agree on everything?

PS - A movie star who has never starred in a flop movie has a perfect filmography, regardless of what anyone thinks of their work. Movies are made for money, if they make money, they're a success, so let's forget about TC.

Two i hear massive things about are Marvin's Room and What's Eating Gilbert Grape. I've never seen either, but i hear nothing but great things.

What's Eating Gilbert Grape is a great film and dicaprio is fantastic in it, not seen Marvin's room though.
    LOL! Well, in fairness, there's good acting, and then there's bad overacting. There Will Be Blood suffers from #2.

I think Clooney is a great actor & director but we know where this is going to go. I'll say Batman & Robin is an awful film ( even Clooney himself admits it sucked) and you'll say "No it's great, Clooney was a brilliant Batman and Arnie was a riot" and we won't get anywhere. :D

PS - A movie star who has never starred in a flop movie has a perfect filmography, regardless of what anyone thinks of their work. Movies are made for money, if they make money, they're a success, so let's forget about TC.

That really has nothing to do with anything, success does not equal quality in any artistic medium. Both Hanks and Clooney have been in films that bombed so by that logic their filmographies should not be perfect in your eyes.

Also, I after that last post of yours i quoted, how can you say you want to debate and post something like that? So Tom Cruise is off limits in the discussion now because his films made money and you said so. I'm done with this thread I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 cadger1978

Hmmm, the point of the thread 'is' for people's personal opinions on who they think has a perfect filmography. If anyone disagrees, that's when we have ourselves a debate :) For example... George Clooney... Another actor i can think of who's never appeared in a bad movie, none that i can think of anyway. If i'm wrong, tell me :)[/QUOTE]

Batman and Robin springs to mind....drivel.But then again this is open to opinion. Clooney is fairly solid.

I offer Guy Pearce. Flawed only by The Time Machine really.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Twilight 1 and 3 are fantastic movies.

Right im out of here :cool:.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

No major star hasn't made at least one bad film, its all subjective anyway, Cruise probably has the most amount of hits to his name, he's one of the few actors whose name alone sells the movie not the film itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

Clint Eastwood

Al Pacino

The worst they have had is mediocre movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Evenstevens

Jeff Bridges. The guy is such a great actor.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Yellowblackbird

Tom Cruise.......even his brief appearance in 'American Psycho' novel - sharing a lift with bateman - was a winner.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement