Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aircoach Dublin-Cork express

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Got the Aircoach 7pm ex-Cork yesterday. The 7pm was a Jonckheere, so looks like they still aren't at 100% toilet equipped yet.

The 7pm was totally full (Jazz bank holiday weekend), so Aircoach brought in another "hire-in" coach from Mallow Coaches (no wifi or toilet) a few minutes later to take the 30 people left behind.

It seems the 6pm was full too, it seems people who couldn't get on that, their names were taken and they were first on the 7pm after people with internet bookings for the 7pm. Very fair.

There was a very nice chap from Aircoach on the ground there organising all of this and ensuring everyone that they would be looked after. I overheard him saying to a driver that they were going to bring in the hire-in as there was no point in disappointing people. I have to say a very good attitude to have. Keep up the good work Aircoach.

So it looks like Aircoach will be able to handle increased numbers at busy times.

It seems they didn't have hire-ins for the 6pm, instead putting extra people on the 7pm. I think that is pretty fair, specially as people could always try the 6:30 GoBe just across the road.

The Aircoach gentleman was recommending to people to book online in future. But I have a definite problem with that, you can only book before 5pm the previous day, which isn't very flexible.

I had a few friends down this weekend and while they all had taken Aircoach down. They all ended up taking GoBe back as they hadn't realised you had to book the ticket back before 5pm. Instead they booked the GoBE ticket on their phone the same day. They will now probably use GoBE in future.

GoBE's online booking is far more flexible, allowing bookings online up to an hour in advance. I know myself that I'm struggling to decide to continue to use Aircoach or GoBE.

Aircoach have better more convenient stop locations (in Dublin), better time table and I think they should be rewarded for being the innovators here. On the other hand GoBE are 100% toilet equipped and I find being able to book an hour in advance for more convenient. It means I can guarantee a seat, while still having the flexibility to choose when to go.

Aircoach need to fix this issue. There is no reason why you couldn't take bookings online up to 15 minutes in advance. All they need is to give their drivers either a smart phone or one of those new cheap Goggle tablets to connect to the Aircoach website and check off the tickets as people board. This is what GoBus do.

A mobile optimised website for booking both from GoBe and Aircoach would also be a good idea, but not urgent.

Also I definitely feel there is strong business there for either GoBE or Aircoach to fill that 6 hour gap in schedule between 7pm and 1am. I usually get the 7pm and it always seems very busy. I think a 9pm ex-Cork getting in at 12 would be very popular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

I have seen that nice looking Mallow Coaches bus in Dublin a few times but thought it was doing "extra bus" for the GoBe service.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

foggy_lad wrote: »
    I have seen that nice looking Mallow Coaches bus in Dublin a few times but thought it was doing "extra bus" for the GoBe service.

It could have been, it is a hire-in, so could operate for either company.

Though the one I was on didn't have toilets, so I don't think it would be on GoBE as they guarantee toilets on board?

http://www.mallowcoaches.com/Fleet.html

It looks like it was the Volvo Jonckheere 43 seats, really nothing special, it was cold on board, no toilet or wifi, ok but not great legroom and seats only ok.

Perhaps GoBE are using the Vanhool 51 Seater (or the Vanhool 53 seater), both of which have toilet on board and being a Vanhool would be en excellent, top tier coach. Would love to take a ride on that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Lucyn

I got the 7pm aircoach from Dublin to Cork last night and it was the same on Westmoreland St. A very helpful young man ensuring everyone got on and reassuring us that there was another bus around the corner should it be needed. As I was sitting at the front I heard him talking to the driver before we left and they seemed extremely well organised for the day that was in it.

I wish it was like that everyday, as Friday evenings can be a bit mental.

bk wrote: »
    It could have been, it is a hire-in, so could operate for either company.

Though the one I was on didn't have toilets, so I don't think it would be on GoBE as they guarantee toilets on board?

http://www.mallowcoaches.com/Fleet.html

It looks like it was the Volvo Jonckheere 43 seats, really nothing special, it was cold on board, no toilet or wifi, ok but not great legroom and seats only ok.

Perhaps GoBE are using the Vanhool 51 Seater (or the Vanhool 53 seater), both of which have toilet on board and being a Vanhool would be en excellent, top tier coach. Would love to take a ride on that one.
    The ones I saw looked more like the Vanhool 51/53 seater coaches on their fleet page but I only saw them from the front and side.

• Advertisement

Lucyn wrote: »
    I got the 7pm aircoach from Dublin to Cork last night and it was the same on Westmoreland St. A very helpful young man ensuring everyone got on and reassuring us that there was another bus around the corner should it be needed. As I was sitting at the front I heard him talking to the driver before we left and they seemed extremely well organised for the day that was in it.

I wish it was like that everyday, as Friday evenings can be a bit mental.
    Bus Éireann have also improved their organisation for Bank holidays, when getting a bus on Friday from Busáras there was two extra coaches marked for Carlow/Kilkenny as well as at least one other Bus Éireann bus going to Waterford, and this was for the 5.30pm service.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

A major advantage to GoBe/GoBus is that you can change your return trip as long as you give 1 hour notice. VERY HANDY.

Hogzy wrote: »
    A major advantage to GoBe/GoBus is that you can change your return trip as long as you give 1 hour notice. VERY HANDY.

Can you do this online or do you have to call?

Of course given that a single is €10 and a return is €20 and you can buy a ticket up until 60 minutes before departure, then there is no advantage to actually buying a return in the first place.

BTW Aircoach is even more flexible. While you are guaranteed a seat on the date and time specified, the out bound journey can be used on any bus on the date specified and the return journey can be used on any date and time. No need to change your booking.

However I think you can contact Aircoach during office hours to change your specified date and time to guarantee your seat.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

It's hardly a major advantage, as it's less flexible than Aircoach.

devnull wrote: »
    It's hardly a major advantage, as it's less flexible than Aircoach.

Didnt know you could take any bus with aircoach.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Hogzy, can you answer this question:

bk wrote: »
    Hogzy, can you answer this question:

Sorry, I had to call.

I had a bit of a disasterous travel experience last Saturday as the Aircoach was full and I couldnt pre book.

Turned up at the Aircoach stop last week for the 2pm bus, didnt pre book as I only decided to go to Dublin last minute. Bus was full so decided to take the half 2 bus with gobus. Obviously needed to book this 1hr in advance but I called up and they told me to book the 16:30 bus and that the driver would have no problem allowing me on the 14:30 bus as long as it wasnt full (it wasnt and I got on). My return trip with gobus was booked for Sunday at 22:30 but I called up at 20:00 to change that booking to Monday lunch time. Girl on the phone was very helpful and the phone call lasted the bones of 60 seconds.

So yes, you do have to call up the Galway office if you need to change.

Sorry, I had to call.

Thanks for the info, good to know.

Turned up at the Aircoach stop last week for the 2pm bus, didnt pre book as I only decided to go to Dublin last minute. Bus was full so decided to take the half 2 bus with gobus.

The Jazz weekend? Yes it was VERY busy that weekend.

FYI, you had a few other options.

1) The driver on the Aircoach 2pm bus could have sold you a ticket for the 3pm bus. People with online bookings for the 3pm would be first on, but you would be next in line after that. Much of the weekend Aircoach had a chap in Cork handling this.

2) You could buy a ticket for the 14:30 GoBE bus using the ticket machines in BusAras. It would have been more expensive €15/25 single/return. However calling and changing the ticket details was a nice trick :)

Good to see both of these services doing so well.

With passenger numbers like this, hopefully they will expand the schedule and invest in more newer coaches.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭toadpenguin

Seeing as this has become the de-facto thread for Aircoach discussion and questions, I had a bad experience today on the Cork-Dublin express.

I booked my return ticket online, leaving at 07:00 and returning at 15:00 and they charged me €18 for it. I assumed I could use the return portion of it for any time as specified in the disclaimer on their website:
    You can, however, use the return portion of your ticket on any journey, on any date, on your chosen route.

I got on the 16:00 bus in Dublin and the driver told me that my ticket was only valid for the 15:00 which had left an hour earlier. I tried telling him it was valid for any time on the day, as was specified on their website but he said something about it not being "that ticket", and because it was cheaper than usual (something which I was completely unaware of), it was only valid for the time specified. I ended up having to pay another €15 for a single ticket back to Cork.

I didn't take it up with the bus driver again, but can anyone tell me if I have a leg to stand on here, or if Aircoach were right to only make the ticket valid for the exact time specified?

Seeing as this has become the de-facto thread for Aircoach discussion and questions, I had a bad experience today on the Cork-Dublin express.

I booked my return ticket online, leaving at 07:00 and returning at 15:00 and they charged me €18 for it. I assumed I could use the return portion of it for any time as specified in the disclaimer on their website:

I got on the 16:00 bus in Dublin and the driver told me that my ticket was only valid for the 15:00 which had left an hour earlier. I tried telling him it was valid for any time on the day, as was specified on their website but he said something about it not being "that ticket", and because it was cheaper than usual (something which I was completely unaware of), it was only valid for the time specified. I ended up having to pay another €15 for a single ticket back to Cork.

I didn't take it up with the bus driver again, but can anyone tell me if I have a leg to stand on here, or if Aircoach were right to only make the ticket valid for the exact time specified?
    The only €18 tickets available on the website are the adult single Cork-Dublin Airport or a child return on the same route, did you mistakenly book a single to the Airport? or did you get some special offer booking?

If you booked a special offer it may have had different terms and conditions in place which you should have been notified of at the time of booking.

You should email Aircoach and see what they say as it looks like their driver may have got it wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭toadpenguin

Thanks for the reply, I've just gone on their website and picked the exact same journey with the exact same times for this day next week (the 17th) as an experiment, and it's still showing up as €18. Definitely a return and definitely an adult ticket. Can someone else try this too just to make sure it's not a problem on my end? :')

If there was any special offer and/or any special conditions I'm pretty sure I wasn't notified of them during the booking.

I'm going to wait and hear a few more opinions before I go sending a strongly-worded email to Aircoach, just in case there's something I'm not seeing here.

EDIT: Just found this tweet from them from the start of September, that's the only thing resembling a promotional offer announcement I can see, and no indication of how long the fare stays like that for. Either way, the disclaimer on their website says nothing about promotional fares.

Here is their news page showing the promotional fares to and from Cork but there is nothing about different terms and conditions applying.

http://www.aircoach.ie/news.article.php?ID=373
    NEW PROMOTIONAL ONLINE FARE - CORK ROUTE
    3rd September 2012

Book online on any Aircoach's hourly service between Dublin City and Cork City between now and the end of September and travel for just €9, from Dublin Airport to Cork City for just €15. Excellent return fares also on offer why wait go online now and book. Remember book now and travel anytime.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Maybe I'm missing something too,but you booked online,yes ?

The quotation from the Aircoach site which you use is part of this....
    Return Tickets purchased on the coach or from our Customer Service Team at Dublin Airport. The outward portion of your ticket is only valid on the journey on which they are purchased or, if purchased from our Customer Service Team at Dublin Airport, on the next departures from the Airport. You can use the return portion of your ticket on any journey, on any date, on your chosen route.

The situation for Online booked Tickets is a tad ambiguous though,as it differentiates between a seat guarantee and general availability....
    Return Tickets booked online. The outward portion of your booking will be accepted for travel on any departure on your chosen route, on the date specified on your booking. Your seat is only guaranteed on the timed journey (where applicable) specified on your booking. On presenting your booking confirmation you will be issued with a Return Ticket. Please keep this Return Ticket safe as you will need it for your return journey. You will be unable to board the coach without the Return Ticket issued on your outward journey. For the return journey your seat is only guaranteed on the date and timed journey (where applicable) specified on your booking. You can, however, use the return portion of your ticket on any journey, on any date, on your chosen route.

I'm suggesting the Driver was/is correct as the actual return journey did not tally with the ticket details,therefore you were denied boarding.

I'm leaning towards the Website wording being incorrect,with the any-journey,any-date stipulation text being wrongfully inserted after the online details..??

Their wording is clear as mud,for sure,but it will be interesting to hear what their stance is ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Maybe I'm missing something too,but you booked online,yes ?

The quotation from the Aircoach site which you use is part of this....

The situation for Online booked Tickets is a tad ambiguous though,as it differentiates between a seat guarantee and general availability....

I'm suggesting the Driver was/is correct as the actual return journey did not tally with the ticket details,therefore you were denied boarding.

I'm leaning towards the Website wording being incorrect,with the any-journey,any-date stipulation text being wrongfully inserted after the online details..??

Their wording is clear as mud,for sure,but it will be interesting to hear what their stance is ?
    It is not as complicated as that Alex, the on-line return ticket only guarantees a seat on the return leg if a date and time are chosen and the passenger decides to use that service. If the passenger wants to use a different bus they may do so.

http://www.aircoach.ie/aircoach.disclaimer.php
    Return Tickets booked on-line. The outward portion of your booking will be accepted for travel on any departure on your chosen route, on the date specified on your booking. Your seat is only guaranteed on the timed journey (where applicable) specified on your booking. On presenting your booking confirmation you will be issued with a Return Ticket. Please keep this Return Ticket safe as you will need it for your return journey. You will be unable to board the coach without the Return Ticket issued on your outward journey. For the return journey your seat is only guaranteed on the date and timed journey (where applicable) specified on your booking. You can, however, use the return portion of your ticket on any journey, on any date, on your chosen route.

To me this reads that the outward journey must be taken on the date of travel on your booking receipt but you may chose any service on this date(although you are only guaranteed a seat on the service listed on your booking)

This part is stating that you may travel on any date and time for the return portion of your ticket but your seat is only guaranteed on the date and timed service specified at time of booking(if applicable)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Have utilised this service for the past two journeys to/from Cork, latest was last week. That 7pm-1am break is infuriating. Last week I would've been able to make any service later than 7pm so had to wait until the 3am service, given the 1am service has been full on both occasions.

First outward journey was a small coach - one of these, not comfortable, last three have been Jonckheeres, 20664 on Friday morning. Fantastic leg room, much prefer the Jonckheeres. Bonus for the night time returns is no stop in Urlingford

Great service, except for that ridiculous night gap returning from Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭cabincrewifly

I agree about the smaller coaches. There a lot less comfterble. Last time I used AirCoach it was on ome of them and on a packed bus not a spare seat and the air con didn't work.

I agree about the smaller coaches. There a lot less comfterble. Last time I used AirCoach it was on ome of them and on a packed bus not a spare seat and the air con didn't work.
    That would be like spending 90minutes in one of those awful commuter sardine cans that bus eireaann use on the 101 & 126 routes where the seats have all been bunched up to make enough room for the wheelchair spaces which afaik have never been used outside of photo opportunities.
    Certainly not worth paying full price for when GoBe uses real coaches.

toadpenguin I believe the driver was wrong with this.

As long as there was space on the coach (after people who had a specific booking for that coach), then you were entitled to travel on it per Aircoachs Terms and Conditions [1].

I would contact Aircoach and I assume they will refund you and hopefully they will correct their misinformed driver. Let us know here how it goes.

As to the "smaller" coach, it actually isn't smaller, it is actually a new (second hand) Levante coach brought in to replace the Jocnckheeres. The reason it has less leg room and also the reason it is replacing the Joncks is because it has a toilet onboard, unlike the Jonck.

They need to have a toilet onboard so they don't have to stop half way and end up arriving behind schedule, while their competitor GoBE have toilet equipped coaches.

The Jnockheeres are actually almost the very best coach in Ireland with their fully leather seats, massive amounts of leg room and great build quality and ride. But unfortunately they don't have a toilet.

It is an unfortunate trade off. But hopefully a temporary one, they have just gotten a new 2012 Setra, which from reports is a fantastic coach. All the leg room, build quality and comfort of the Jonck, but with a toilet onboard.

Rumour has it more maybe coming, so hopefully the Levante is just a temporary stop gap measure.

BTW GoBE aren't particularly great either. They are currently using lots of hire in's of varying quality, I've yet to travel on a GoBE coach with working wifi and even their two new 2012 coaches are Volvos which don't have great leg room due to their tiered seating style, certainly no where near as good as the Jonck's

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

foggy_lad wrote: »
    That would be like spending 90minutes in one of those awful commuter sardine cans that bus eireaann use on the 101 & 126 routes where the seats have all been bunched up to make enough room for the wheelchair spaces which afaik have never been used outside of photo opportunities.
    Certainly not worth paying full price for when GoBe uses real coaches.

Have you observed every single bus fitted with these on every single service it operates before you arrived at that conclusion?

Have you observed every single bus fitted with these on every single service it operates before you arrived at that conclusion?
    in all the travel I have undertaken by bus around Ireland I have never seen a wheelchair user on any Bus Éireann service apart from their City services. Actually I am mistaken, about 4 years ago I saw a wheelchair user Board the bus in Carlow but although the bus was wheelchair accessible the seats had not been removed and the man had to get out of his chair and bump himself up the dirty steps on his knees while another passenger put his wheelchair in the luggage hold.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,679 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Today I saw one of these buses passing down towords Heuston and there was only 15 passengers onboards and that was at 17.00. Just how long will both operators be able to sustain a service with poor loads. I saw a Gobus on Friday afternoon and there was 22 max on it.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Today I saw one of these buses passing down towords Heuston and there was only 15 passengers onboards and that was at 17.00. Just how long will both operators be able to sustain a service with poor loads. I saw a Gobus on Friday afternoon and there was 22 max on it.

I was on the 7pm ex-Cork last week, was totally full. 30 people left behind and a hire in brought in 10 minutes later to take them!!

Two days before I took the GoBE ex-Dublin, totally full.

I have heard of 1am ex-Cork Aircoach are even totally full at times!!!

This weekend took GoBus to Galway and CityLink back, both completely full.

How exactly can you count the number of passengers on board from outside? These coaches are very high and hard to see through the tinted windows. Out of interest I count the number of passengers on board when I'm on board myself and even that is difficult to do accurately when shorter people lie back in the seat.

I can assure you as a regular user of these services, each week I take them they are getting busier and busier. Almost always over 75% by now.

Given that it seems that both Aircoach and GoBE seem to be starting to buy in brand new 2012 coaches, I'm guessing things are going quiet well and they will be here to stay.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

1am coaches are generally full of people with early flights. Booking in advance is most advisory. The night services from Galway are very busy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Coming back from the Rovers game in Cork in August, the 1am service from Cork was absolutely full with 10 people left behind. The 3am service ex-Cork was just under half full on Friday morning and only one other person was getting off in the city with me, everyone else was for the Airport..

One question though...why go in and out of the city via the M50/M4?

Advertisement