Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why would an Irish person wear a poppy ?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

LordSutch wrote: »
    Talking of GRMA/Nodin "Whats all this wolfe tones malarkey you are talking about"?

You wanting "rebel" songs banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Curly Judge

To be fair lads we shouldn't try to deprive them of their bit of rebel music.
    The only time they managed to beat the Brits was:
    In the Pub.
    In their songs.
    And In their dreams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭The Idyl Race

The only time they managed to beat the Brits was:
    In the Pub.
    In their songs.
    And In their dreams.

But what about the craic we had the day we died for Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Nodin wrote: »
    Yep invasion and - what do we call what happens after that?

My main problem is with imperialism. Being a linguistic cripple, I'm not active on boards where the French, Belgians, Spaniards, Portugese, Russians and whoever else crap on about how glorious their bit of international mugging was, and they don't come on here, thus, I deal with the fanboys we have.

....which is logically why they enforced laws against the populace in Wales and here. Who did this "envisioning" and when did they do it?

Integration and the formation of a new national identity, at least that's what would have happened only we are geographically separated from Britain so the concept of an Irish national identity as opposed to a British one endured.

History is full of international mugging, it's still happening today! These things happen because humans are petty and narrow minded and that's not going to change any time soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭poeticseraphim

*Looks in *

Oh the 'little islanders' giving out about Britain..behaving complete Tories. They have a lot in common with those the hate ....strangely the 'imperialists' you would get along ...same views...

You are the Irish version of what you say you hate about Britain.

Not wearing a poppy makes you a west Tory. Or worse a west UKIP.
    YOU THINK ABOUT THAT!

I think you gave many journos a story. So well done.

Ah little islanders ..can we deport them? They would have a lot in common with UKIP...they could start their own little island ..until they find something else that offends them.

• Advertisement

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Integration and the formation of a new national identity, at least that's what would have happened only we are geographically separated from Britain so the concept of an Irish national identity as opposed to a British one endured..

...its amazing that you admit the virtual extermination of irish culture and the occupation of the country, but won't call it what it is.

*Looks(........) them.

Funny, I was certain that I'd generally concentrated on Africa during the thread. You might highlight a post or two of mine that shows this 'little islander' thing in action.....or are you going to do your usual when asked a question and dissappear into the ether?

...its amazing that you admit the virtual extermination of irish culture and the occupation of the country, but won't call it what it is.
    I understand the mechanisms, i just don't think it's necessarily a bad thing. That's why I'm slow to use loaded language like "occupation". Don't get me wrong though, just because I don't think it's a bad thing doesn't mean I think it's a good thing. It's just part of the natural evolution of civilisation and human interaction. None of Britains actions were out of the ordinary for it's time.

I understand the mechanisms, i just don't think it's necessarily a bad thing. That's why I'm slow to use loaded language like "occupation". Don't get me wrong though, just because I don't think it's a bad thing doesn't mean I think it's a good thing. It's just part of the natural evolution of civilisation and human interaction. None of Britains actions were out of the ordinary for it's time.

Theres nothing loaded about "occupation", its descriptive.

Theres nothing loaded about "occupation", its descriptive.
    I disagree, when someone talks about occupation it's inherently bad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Who's 'them'?

I disagree, when someone talks about occupation it's inherently bad.

....well a lot of the time it is. You seem to be very confused on this subject. You want to have your cake and eat it.

Who's 'them'?
    Why 'dem dirty brits of course! ...oh, no wait... :D

Good points!
    I would like to ask the Gaelic purists on here if they think that the British colonialists are/ were morally inferior to Irish patriots.
    The reason that Britain subjugated a large part of the world is because they were able to, and it was the done thing at the time.
    Just as Irish slave traders raided the coast of western Briton back when they had the opportunity to do so. It was the ancient equivalent of Michael O'Leary trying to take over Aer Lingus.
    And it all happened so long ago!
    But our modern day wistful romantics continue to worship at the graves of Pearse and Tone and burn with resentment that a country, bigger than ours, more powerful than ours, better organised than ours and brave to the extent of foolhardiness took the liberty of invading us.
    In an ideal world it shouldn't have happened and we should have been left to our sport of stealing each others wives and driving each others cattle for another couple of hundred years. Unfortunately the world is seldom fair.
    I fail to see the point of working oneself into a lather of resentment about it.
    That kind of psychosis is corrosive to the soul and highly unlikely to bother the average Brit one jot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I fail to see the point of working oneself into a lather of resentment about it.

Vivid caricatures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Good points!
    I would like to ask the Gaelic purists on here if they think that the British colonialists are/ were morally inferior to Irish patriots.
    The reason that Britain subjugated a large part of the world is because they were able to, and it was the done thing at the time.
    Just as Irish slave traders raided the coast of western Briton back when they had the opportunity to do so. It was the ancient equivalent of Michael O'Leary trying to take over Aer Lingus.
    And it all happened so long ago!
    But our modern day wistful romantics continue to worship at the graves of Pearse and Tone and burn with resentment that a country, bigger than ours, more powerful than ours, better organised than ours and brave to the extent of foolhardiness took the liberty of invading us.
    In an ideal world it shouldn't have happened and we should have been left to our sport of stealing each others wives and driving each others cattle for another couple of hundred years. Unfortunately the world is seldom fair.
    That kind of psychosis is corrosive to the soul and highly unlikely to bother the average Brit one jot.

No different to Brian Boru's conquest of Leinster to be honest

You don't see any sort of conflict between the bit in bold and the bit thats bold and underlined at all, I suppose?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

At 378, the Yes vote is much higher than I would have expected, which is nice.

At 378, the Yes vote is much higher than I would have expected.

...the WUM factor.

...the WUM factor.

What's that then?

• Advertisement

What's that then?

Wind Up Merchants.

Or maybe some Irish people are starting to reembrace the poppy & the memory of long dead family/relatives whose names have only recently been rediscovered, thanks to the availability of the 1911 Census for Ireland, which is now available online.

Or maybe some Irish people are starting to reembrace the poppy & the memory of family which have only been rediscovered with the availability of the 1911 Census for Ireland, which is now available online.

...far be it from me to crap on your dreams.

...perish the thought of your crap in my head :))

Article in Yesterdays Sunday Times states that the RBL (ROI branch) raised €47.500 through Poppy sales in 2001, this left a shortfall which was subsidised by the Royal British Legion (UK). Last year however the Irish Poppy Appeal raised €245.937 from the sale of Poppies in the ROI alone and no subsidies were required from London.

You don't see any sort of conflict between the bit in bold and the bit thats bold and underlined at all, I suppose?

Not really! It takes a certain amount of balls to land here with 300 men and march up the country clearing all before you even if the natives are too busy fighting each other.
    We've had 800 years to whinge about it, wish it wasn’t so and write the odd dirge about how Perfidious Albion stuck it to us.
    We lacked organisation then and we lack it today.
    The only man to mount a successful, organised front during all that period was Michael Collins and the Cork boyos shot him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

But what about the craic we had the day we died for Ireland?

Classic tune. One I'd long forgotten about. Good ol Ding Dong Denny O Reilly

Not really! It takes a certain amount of balls to land here with 300 men and march up the country clearing all before you even if the natives are too busy fighting each other.

Does it now. Funny, I thought it took a lot longer and a lot more of them than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

...the WUM factor.

You seem awfully certain of that. Care to offer some proof? You know it is possible for a lot of other Irish people to have a different mindset to you.

You seem awfully certain of that. Care to offer some proof? You know it is possible for a lot of other Irish people to have a different mindset to you.

I can't prove it, because I've no idea who voted or why. However the numbers for it vs the numbers in reality wearing it raise questions as to its veracity.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Last year however the Irish Poppy Appeal raised €245.937 from the sale of Poppies in the ROI alone and no subsidies were required from London.

That was expected, there has been over a hundred thousand UK immigrants to Ireland in the last 10 years(see CSO census). Its not surprising some of them including those on this thread bring their British militaristic traditions with them.

Advertisement