Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread

Options

Comments

I think McCarthy and Ryan to start with Tuohy on at 55 is the option I'd prefer.

I wish Kidney used the bench pro-actively though, it would make things so much easier.

When VdM starts a HEC game we know Healy is going to come flying out of the gate at 60minutes. When Cronin comes off the bench on 65 with legs full of fire to keep outside defenders honest it doesn't really matter whether Strauss had a good 65 or not, it's a change of tempo and pace and tactics that unsettles teams.

Kidney has gotten better. Marginally.

But the only non-injury-enforced sub that will be made is ROG on at 62minutes and 24 seconds, Sexton to 12, and D'Arcy to the stands.

I'd love to see him actually plan a game properly, Reddan, Kilcoyne,Zebo and Tuohy all off the bench at 55-60mins, with Earls moving to 13, Cave,Healy, McCarthy and Murray making way. That relies on 15.Earls, 13.Cave though.

There's more than "1 Act" in a rugby game these days. Still not sure anyone's told the Irish Management that...

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

People who want Earls to play 15... What sort of game do you think we should be playing to try and beat the Springboks? Bearing in mind the team they've selected and the way they've played recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭geekington

GT has O'Gara on the bench??? Please oh please let this be not true!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

But the only non-injury-enforced sub that will be made is ROG on at 62minutes and 24 seconds, Sexton to 12, and D'Arcy to the stands.

Excellent post Emmet, but you're wrong on the above. When ROG trots on, we'll no doubt see Reddan as well, further compounding Kidney's tactics of playing the zippy passing scrum-half with the deep-lying out-half and the slower-passing SH with the out-half who thrives on fast, flat, gainline ball.

Re: the bench, I have grave concerns about the likely selection of Kilcoyne. Yes, he has shown up well at times but he struggled against Mike Ross in the Aviva and with Healy carrying a knock, there is a good chance Kilcoyne will be thrown in against Jannie du Plessis. Serious sink or swim there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

i reckon DK will pump with DOC in 2nd row given the leadership/inexperience in the pack much as i think McCarthy or Touhy would be better options.

• Advertisement

Re: the bench, I have grave concerns about the likely selection of Kilcoyne. Yes, he has shown up well at times but he struggled against Mike Ross in the Aviva and with Healy carrying a knock, there is a good chance Kilcoyne will be thrown in against Jannie du Plessis. Serious sink or swim there.

That's exactly what I'm thinking.

I respect Feek's opinion though and you'd have to assume he's the one who is influencing the decisions on the front rows

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭goreyguy

Kilcoyne might sink or he might swim but he will probably be the better player for it long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

geekington wrote: »
    GT has O'Gara on the bench??? Please oh please let this be not true!

were Sexton and O'Gara not the only OH in the original selection, so I would assume that he will be on the bench

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

These match day threads are going to be an absolute minefield of bitching judging by the last few pages

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭geekington

were Sexton and O'Gara not the only OH in the original selection, so I would assume that he will be on the bench

Paddy Jackson is in the squad and some whispers emerged that he may be on the bench ahead of ROG!

• Advertisement

geekington wrote: »
    Paddy Jackson is in the squad and some whispers emerged that he may be on the bench ahead of ROG!

Isn't it a bit telling that we're getting excited by 'whispers' of this? Considering that Jackson has been playing 10 in an unbeaten side, shows a ****tonne of promise, has been kicking excellently and defending amicable, whereas ROG has .... kicked okay for 25 minutes of a dire game against Racing Metro.

Zebo Bowe Earls DArcy Trimble Sexton Murray; Healy Strauss Ross Ryan McCarthy O'Mahony Heaslip (c). Kilcoyne and Henderson on bench

Peter O Reilly just tweeted

One would assume ROG is now on the bench. But apart from that it's the strongest team we have IMO

ryan mccarthy, cant believe my eyes.

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    These match day threads are going to be an absolute minefield of bitching judging by the last few pages

Yup, that's inevitable whichever way the game goes, even if it's a resounding victory.

I'm going to take a sabbatical for a few days after the team announcement this afternoon, things will have calmed down again by Monday.

goreyguy wrote: »
    ryan mccarthy, cant believe my eyes.

why? McCarthy is in good form and Ryan is Ireland's best lock next to POC.

Are we gone to the point now where people are really so gushing to exaggerate a perfectly reasonable second row selection? You probably wouldn't have believed your eyes no matter who was selected. Maybe just get behind the team now that it's named and check the faux outrage at the door........

Zebo Bowe Earls DArcy Trimble Sexton Murray; Healy Strauss Ross Ryan McCarthy O'Mahony Heaslip (c). Kilcoyne and Henderson on bench

One would assume ROG is now on the bench. But apart from that it's the strongest team we have IMO

He's now corrected it to say Henry is starting alongside POM and Heaslip

Starting with 14 players is a tactic Kidney hasn't used before. We'll see how it works out for them.

who's the other back row? Henry at 7 please!

Ryan McCarthy with Tuohy at 60 is a good call

Can't believe Henry only has 2 Ireland caps and O'Mahony has 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Heaslip captain is the right option if that is to be believed, hopefully he can start a 100% record with Ireland too

• Advertisement

It's this kind of crap that will ruin the thread. What has that got to do with the match at the weekend? Nothing. They both start

Are we gone to the point now where people are really so gushing to exaggerate a perfectly reasonable second row selection? You probably wouldn't have believed your eyes no matter who was selected. Maybe just get behind the team now that it's named and check the faux outrage at the door........

fauxtrage

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭ray jay

No mention of who the bench fly half is unfortunately. Otherwise that selection is more or less what was flagged earlier in the week, I'm happy enough with it.

ray jay wrote: »
    No mention of who the bench fly half unfortunately. Otherwise that selection is more or less what was flagged earlier in the week, I'm happy enough with it.

The fact that there was no mention of it would lead us to believe that it's ROG

It makes a bit of sense in fairness.

Henry had a great season in 2008/2009 as a no. 8 but he was pretty inexperienced and so he went and played in the Churchill Cup (with the likes of Healy). He was excellent there as well.

He returned to Ulster and everyone was really excited for him but his form dropped off a cliff until last season. So it's completely understandable he wasn't capped during that period.

Then last season he started to play brilliantly again (starting to really turn heads when Clermont came to Ravenhill in November). He was doing excellently and was in line for a cap until he got injured and he missed the 6 Nations.

Then he was brought to New Zealand. I think he should have played more down there but he was in form as a 7 and Sean O'Brien is our first-choice openside so there's not really a huge complaint from me. Kevin McLoughlin played well anyway and justified his selection.

i'm happy about it, more surprised Kidney picked it than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Has Zebo played at full back before?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

People who want Earls to play 15... What sort of game do you think we should be playing to try and beat the Springboks? Bearing in mind the team they've selected and the way they've played recently.

Well, before going into game tactics, doesn't Earls have the same attributes as Zebo? Great under high ball, great open space runner, speedster, great boot, etc.

The only difference is Earls has had experience at 15 (his best performance in a green shirt imo).

I know what you're getting at though, as if we play Cave at 13 we'll be playing a different game plan all together.

For me, the choice of Earls at 13 and Zebo at 15 screams pace pace pace. We'll be looking to run the ball. I don't think SA are the team that'll succumb to that tactic. I also will be very disappointed if these two are picked in their respective positions and we don't play at pace.

The selection of Murray would indicate we're not looking to play at pace.

The team (if it is true) just looks too imbalanced, however exciting the prospects are.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,793 ✭✭✭✭bilston

It's this kind of crap that will ruin the thread. What has that got to do with the match at the weekend? Nothing. They both start

I tend to agree, while I'd argue Henry was hard done by in NZ, in hindsight it probably did him no harm to have had limited involvement in that series!

They're both in there now (we're 99% sure they are anyway) and good luck to them both. I was looking at one of the training pics yesterday and POM looks to have bulked up a bit more. He gets his chance at 6 which i think is his best position, Henry gets a run at 7 which has become his best position and Heaslip is at 8 skippering the side. While we'll clearly miss Fez and SOB that's an unusually balanced back row selection for Ireland!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Shelflife wrote: »
    Has Zebo played at full back before?

Never, AFAIK.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement