Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Earls has played okay. 4 times. (Once off the bench onto the wing - scored. 3 pretty decent defensive appearances at 13 )

It's early November. "All Season" means nothing!

4 games is enough to make a judgement on form IMO. And he's carrying on from a good year last year too

Keep in mind now I'm not saying for a second he should start over BOD if he was fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Now that I think of it Earls and BOD faced eachother directly only a few weeks ago in the Munster-Leinster game, and I wouldn't say either player was much better than the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Without going into who's the better winger, Fitz has always been picked for the Ireland squad when fit. The glaring exception to that is being left off the plane for the RWC when playing like a drain - I think that was the best thing that could happen to him at the time though, and for once Kidney dropped someone when their form slipped.

However, Fitz was regaining his form, and if he hadn't slipped back into injury at Christmas he would've been pushing Kearney for the ERC player of the year spot.

Which begs the question, if he was fit now, what would the backline look like under DK? Who loses out? Traditionally Trimble has always been a back runner. He's a great rugby player, solid option and a big unit with a hefty boot but he's always been behind Bowe, Fitz, Earls etc.

It's a tough selection, but I'd have to say even with Fitz on form I think Earls strike rate is too good to ignore, and I'd see Fitz take the bench with Trimble losing out all together.

I really hope Fitz does come back though, because as Cpt mentioned, he could be an awesome 12. He's extremely good in traffic, has a monster tackle and a sweet offload. Earls would thrive on someone like this inside of him.

Ideally, ofcourse, it's horses for courses, and in the future we could see combos of Fitz/Earls for fast paced running games, or Marshall/Cave for defensive patterns. But that'd be in an ideal world, with an ideal setup...

tbh, I feel that Fitz is a better winger when he's on top of his game. Although the ideal scenario would be them pairing up in midfield

It's something I'd like to see, but probably wouldn't work. Which such small international windows we rarely get to see these things tried out... Unless you're playing Fiji.... :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

@brendanfanning with the scoop

@BrendanFanning: Zebo at 15. Kilcoyne and Henderson on bench. Along with Strauss and Bent it could be 4 new caps by close of play. Kidney he go crayzee!!

durkadurka wrote: »
    @brendanfanning with the scoop

@BrendanFanning: Zebo at 15. Kilcoyne and Henderson on bench. Along with Strauss and Bent it could be 4 new caps by close of play. Kidney he go crayzee!!

Looks like the predicted team was correct

I'm trying not to get excited but it's hard. I really like that team

Bent to start over Ross? Sweet Enola Gay...

I still think Zebo at 15 is a bizarre call. Yet atleast he's experimenting... Too little too late?

.ak wrote: »

I don't think that's implied ak. Bent seems to be on the bench and could win his cap

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Mr.Opti

I still think Zebo at 15 is a bizarre call. Yet at least he's experimenting... Too little too late?

Kidney just can't win can he?!?

Mr.Opti wrote: »

What do you want? All is forgiven for putting Zebo at 15?

Tox56 wrote: »

Well, when he scores 7 tries and packs down in the scrum when both looseheads cry off then maybe....

:pac:

it's an intriguing selection but it won't be worth a damn if we employ the usual kidney game plan

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭RoundBox11

I can't help but wondering, what on earth does Darren Cave have to do to get picked. If this is how Kidney sees things i can't see Cave getting any meaningful caps ever

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Ross to start. Bent on the bench I think he means with Kilcoyne & Henderson.

Hope Healy is ok if Kilcoyne is on the bench. Court must be injured or something (or they don't want to end up with an all SH front row towards the end of the match)!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Pretty sure he means off the bench.

Zebo is a risky pick, but there are no real alternatives. Duffy is only just back from injury, same with D Kearney and Jones. Worth a shot, though I would rather it was against someone other than SA.

I'm partly excited to see Kilcoyne on the bench and partly worried. If Court is available he should be there, especially given that Healy doesn't seem to be 100% fit.

To be clear, I was just prompting a conversation regarding Kidney's current standing. Do you not agree he's at a particularly precarious place in his career as Irish head coach?

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Pretty sure he means off the bench.

Zebo is a risky pick, but there are no real alternatives. Duffy is only just back from injury, same with D Kearney and Jones. Worth a shot, though I would rather it was against someone other than SA.

Earls could go to 15. We have options at 13, with international experience there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I still think Zebo at 15 is a bizarre call. Yet atleast he's experimenting... Too little too late?

It's not ideal, I certainly wouldn't do it but... it is something I'd love to see tried in the future (preferably at provincial level first). But I'm assuming he's doing well enough in training etc.

• Advertisement

Fireball07 wrote: »
    It's not ideal, I certainly wouldn't do it but... it is something I'd love to see tried in the future (preferably at provincial level first). But I'm assuming he's doing well enough in training etc.

Well, you can guarantee that'll be the reason given. I wish the lad the best of luck though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,907 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Of course he can. Against Italy and Scotland.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Earls could go to 15. We have options at 13, with international experience there.

Aye, and Cave at 13 with Earls at 15 is probably what I would have gone for.

Still, its an adventurous call and I am going to give Kidney the benefit of the doubt (for the 15th time!). Zebo could work out - big boot, been good under the high ball, great open field runner.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Aye, and Cave at 13 with Earls at 15 is probably what I would have gone for.

Still, its an adventurous call and I am going to give Kidney the benefit of the doubt (for the 15th time!). Zebo could work out - big boot, been good under the high ball, great open field runner.

Yep that would've been my preferred call too. All of the above attributes you've listed could describe Earls too.

Still, now I'm really looking forward to the game... Haven't said that in a while about an Irish match tbh!

RoundBox11 wrote: »
    I can't help but wondering, what on earth does Darren Cave have to do to get picked. If this is how Kidney sees things i can't see Cave getting any meaningful caps ever

Kidney might not be here much longer...Cave is still young, could still get plenty of meaningful caps.

There'll be plenty of competition in the future with BOD, Earls, Griffin, EOM so it won't be easy for him but he'll still get chances.

Tox56 wrote: »

People want him to experiment and he does and people complain, he doesn't experiment and people complain!!

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭goreyguy

How people can defend kidney is beyond me.

People want him to experiment and he does and people complain, he doesn't experiment and people complain!!

How is "Too little too late?" a complaint..??

To be clear, I was just prompting a conversation regarding Kidney's current standing. Do you not agree he's at a particularly precarious place in his career as Irish head coach?

Lose lose situation ya.

Should have got the sack after the SI but thats been done to death. Least he is trying different things and we'll see

• Advertisement

goreyguy wrote: »
    How people can defend kidney is beyond me.

There's a difference between defending him and pointing out that not every thing he does is wrong.

I like this team. I'm looking forward to the game...this fifteen is making me reasonably optimistic of victory. In the short-term, that's as much as anyone can expect.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement