Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Hagz wrote: »
    As you'd expect him to be in the pouring rain in a second string match. He made a few line breaks, one where he almost scored a try, but ultimately the match called for a more territorial game, which Madigan doesn't really have yet. In defence he was solid as usual.

Was impressed with his defence, looks slight but is pretty strong in the tackle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

LeftBase wrote: »
    Not in the slightest bit. POM is an abrasive personality but that's the height of it in that area his game. His ball carrying is not the best and unless he wins us penalties by whinging at the referee all game then he wont bring much to the table.

Murray's slow passing and ponderous work at the base will give the Boks more opportunity than they need to get up and physically rough up the Irish backline and Sexton. We need quick ball. Like I said if we go grunt for grunt then we will lose!

tbh, that's a ridiculous assessment of POM as a player

Murray has sped up his service hugely this year. I'd still pick Reddan but Murray starting would not be "losing the game before it starts"

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

he says old brand of munster rugby as in munster rugby in the old days
    We don't play like they did either.

EDIT: IE we don't win

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭LeftBase

Fishooks12 wrote: »

Murray has sped up his service hugely this year. I'd still pick Reddan but Murray starting would not be "losing the game before it starts"

He isn't a dynamic players at all. A modern backrow must be dynamic. So that assessment is an assessment in relation to the rugby he will have to play.

Murray is still nowhere near good enough to be in a green jersey. Reddan and Marshall should be the 9s in the squad.

POM isn't a dynamic player?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭boksmashoffice

bilston wrote: »
    How do you think the Boks will line up?

1. Beast
    2. strauss (maybe Brits)
    3. Jannie
    4. Eben
    5. Flip
    6. Alberts
    7.Louw
    8. Vermulen
    9. Ruan P
    10. Steyn ( I would love to see lambie) but I think Meyer will favour Steyn :confused:
    11. Pietersen
    12. De Villiers
    13. Taute
    14. Hougaard

15. Bloody Kirscner (useless, should not be a bok imo) :mad:

A solid team. Hopefully Alberts will bash O brain and your other forwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

POM isn't a dynamic player?

Well he certainly isn't dynamic in the Ferris/SOB mold, but none of our other options (possibly Henderson aside) are either. Its pretty hilarious that he touts McLoughlin as an option, but criticizes POM for not being dynamic enough.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

O'Brien is injured

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

1. Beast
    2. strauss (maybe Brits)
    3. Jannie
    4. Eben
    5. Flip
    6. Alberts
    7.Louw
    8. Vermulen
    9. Ruan P
    10. Steyn ( I would love to see lambie) but I think Meyer will favour Steyn :confused:
    11. Pietersen
    12. De Villiers
    13. Taute
    14. Hougaard

If you're talking about O'Brien, he's injured

Well he certainly isn't dynamic in the Ferris/SOB mold, but none of our other options (possibly Henderson aside) are either. Its pretty hilarious that he touts McLoughlin as an option, but criticizes POM for not being dynamic enough.

This was my retort

POM not dynamic. Despite being capable of playing in every back row position to a high standard. What a lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,758 ✭✭✭✭bilston

1. Beast
    2. strauss (maybe Brits)
    3. Jannie
    4. Eben
    5. Flip
    6. Alberts
    7.Louw
    8. Vermulen
    9. Ruan P
    11. Pietersen
    12. De Villiers
    13. Taute
    14. Hougaard

O'Brien is injured.

As is Best, Ferris, O'Driscoll and Kearney and we're possibly going to be without Healy and O'Connell.

Not the team I'd pick but I think we'll line out like this...

15 Zebo (seems to be a growing rumour)
    14 Bowe
    13 Earls
    12 D'Arcy
    11 Trimble
    10 Sexton
    9 Murray
    1 Court
    2 Strauss
    3 Ross
    4 O'Callaghan
    5 Ryan
    6 O'Mahony
    7 Henry
    8 Heaslip

Unfortunately I think you'll paste us up front and while that's a pacey backline our midfield is quite small so I'd guess Alberts and co will be running at them all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,837 ✭✭✭✭JRant

I'd say POM needs to settle on one position and stick with it. He could become one of 'jack of all trades, master of none'. Thats fine at club level but test level needs a bit more.
    Where do you see him playing at his best, 6 or 8?

I'll have to disagree with you about Murray though. I've really not seen anything to suggest he is anything other than an average player at best. He still has a way to go to develope the skills needed to be a top SH and the test arena just isn't the place to be doing it.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

McLoughlin plays the rugby he has to and is what he is. 2 undynamic backrows wont do!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

POM is not the perfect player or anything close to it, but a lack of dynamism is not something he could really be criticised for. He's not a massive, brutal ball-carrier but he's quick and is hard to bring down. Very mobile as well, gets around the pitch very well. Very skilful too, nice hands, able to offload.

I think my biggest concern about him at international level is that he wouldn't be as physical as someone like Ferris/O'Brien and being shunted around the back row means it can be hard for him to get a good run in just one spot.

JRant wrote: »
    I'd say POM needs to settle on one position and stick with it. He could become one of 'jack of all trades, master of none'. Thats fine at club level but test level needs a bit more.
    Where do you see him playing at his best, 6 or 8?

I'll have to disagree with you about Murray though. I've really not seen anything to suggest he is anything other than an average player at best. He still has a way to go to develope the skills needed to be a top SH and the test arena just isn't the place to be doing it.

I'd agree that Murray has a bit to go in terms of being consistent at international level. But he definitely isn't an average scrum half. He's very solid at HC and rabo level and has been this year bar the Racing game. His passing has definitely improved this season too

I think POM should stick between 8 and 6. He's a 6 that can play 8 well and can fill in at 7. So I'd put him in that order

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Anyone know the day of the team announcement?

This was my retort

POM not dynamic. Despite being capable of playing in every back row position to a high standard. What a lol

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Munster Rugby

Anyone know the day of the team announcement?

With injuries I'd say they'll hold off on it as long as possible.

Could be Wednesday

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

@irfurugby wrote:
    Confirmed that Stephen Ferris out for Springbok game, possibly Fiji but no
    decision Argentina. Update on additions to squad tomorrow

Jesus just rest him lads, no need to break him for a year by rushing him back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

Jesus just rest him lads, no need to break him for a year by rushing him back.

It'll be all hands on deck for the Argentina game after we lose to the boks. Wont be much resting done I think.

• Advertisement

Scioch wrote: »
    It'll be all hands on deck for the Argentina game after we lose to the boks. Wont be much resting done I think.

Only if Scotland win.

I'd agree that Murray has a bit to go in terms of being consistent at international level. But he definitely isn't an average scrum half. He's very solid at HC and rabo level and has been this year bar the Racing game. His passing has definitely improved this season too

I think POM should stick between 8 and 6. He's a 6 that can play 8 well and can fill in at 7. So I'd put him in that order

I'd certainly like to see him at 6 full time.

We'll have to agree to disagree on Murray. I just think that to be praising him for improving his passing while being the incubent SH says it all really. His passing should be the one thing that is spot on before making the step up to testrugby.

Scioch wrote: »

Nah we'll beat the BOKs and look to have turned a corner, and then proceed to scrape past Fiji and lose to Argentina.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

POM will be fine as long as he keeps his head screwed on.I'd much rather see 6:POM 7:Henry 8:Heaslip than 6:McLaughlin 7:POM 8:Heaslip.People who say POM isn't dynamic must not have seen much of him,his running game isn't as nonexistent as some seem to think.

Putting Zebo at 15 would really weaken the team.Not because of Zebo himself,but because with Kidney,it would mean the omission of Cave,our current best choice at 13.I'd prefer to see Earls over Zebo playing 15,with the amount of injuries we have,Earls is too good to not play and although he was never really tested against England,its still more higher level experience than Zebo has.

The team I'd like to see would be(Assuming POC is out);
    1:Court
    2:Strauss
    3:Ross
    4:Tuohy
    5:Ryan
    6:POM
    7:Henry
    8:Heaslip
    9:Reddan
    10:Sexton
    11:Zebo
    12: D'arcy
    13:Cave
    14:Bowe
    15:Earls

16:Kilcoyne
    17:Cronin
    18:Bent
    19:DOC/McCarthy (Heard McCarthy played well this week,might just make it)
    20:Henderson
    21:Marshall
    22:Jackson
    23:McFadden

Of course,we all know what the team will probably be,apart from the possible Zebo at 15 curveball.

I'd certainly like to see him at 6 full time.

We'll have to agree to disagree on Murray. I just think that to be praising him for improving his passing while being the incubent SH says it all really. His passing should be the one thing that is spot on before making the step up to testrugby.

His passing is spot on to be fair. He just looks to stick too regimentally to the tactics at hand and wait too long for our attack to reset before he passes the ball out/goes for a box kick. When he is playing comfortably without over thinking, he is a very good player and the best SH we have available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

DementedMole has an excellent piece on why he views POM as an 8, well worth a read. As for the Boks game I'd go with POM, simply because I think he's a better ball carrier than McLaughlin and we're missing our 3 best ball carriers in Healy, SOB and Ferris.

His passing is spot on to be fair. He just looks to stick too regimentally to the tactics at hand and wait too long for our attack to reset before he passes the ball out/goes for a box kick. When he is playing comfortably without over thinking, he is a very good player and the best SH we have available.

His passing most definetly needs some more work as does his decision making but both should come on with time. Like I said I don't think he's ready for the step up just yet.
    Tbf he can be good on his day but those days are few and far between. We should be looking at him as a player who may be able to make the step up in the future, not as a nailed on starter right now. Right now i'd have him behind Reddan or Marshall but thats just my opinion.

His passing most definetly needs some more work as does his decision making but both should come on with time. Like I said I don't think he's ready for the step up just yet.
    Tbf he can be good on his day but those days are few and far between. We should be looking at him as a player who may be able to make the step up in the future, not as a nailed on starter right now. Right now i'd have him behind Reddan or Marshall but thats just my opinion.

tbf his bad days have been few and far between this season.

Anyway, here's what I'd go with at the weekend

15 Zebo
    14 Bowe
    13 Earls
    12 Darcy
    11 McFadden
    10 Sexton
    9 Reddan
    8 Heaslip
    7 Henry
    6 POM
    5 Ryan
    4 DOC
    3 Ross
    2 Strauss
    1 Healy

16 Cronin
    17 Court (if he's injured, which I think he is, then Kilkoyne)
    18 Bent
    19 Tuohy
    20 Locky
    21 Murray
    22 Jackson
    23 Trimble

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

tbf his bad days have been few and far between this season.

Yes but at international level he's done very little to suggest he's good enough to be starting test matches.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement