Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

The best option at FB could well be Dave Kearney, hopefully Kidney is watching and didn't fall asleep on the couch after his Sunday roast.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

The best option at FB could well be Dave Kearney, hopefully Kidney is watching and didn't fall asleep on the couch after his Sunday roast.

I'd say if he hadn't been injured for so long, he'd be in the squad. Similar to Jones, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Fireball07 wrote: »
    I'd say if he hadn't been injured for so long, he'd be in the squad. Similar to Jones, I think.

Its probably the best performance that I've seen from any of himself, Hurley or Jones this season.

Also, Hagan is making a mockery of the decision to bring Archer into the squad (& I have been very critical of Hagan in the past). If Archer is selected at any stage in the AIs ahead of him it is a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

Foxtrol wrote: »

Its probably the best performance that I've seen from any of himself, Hurley or Jones this season.

Also, Hagan is making a mockery of the decision to bring Archer into the squad (& I have been very critical of Hagan in the past). If Archer is selected at any stage in the AIs ahead of him it is a disgrace.

In fairness Archer was very good for most of Munster's scrums on Friday. Hagan is up against better opposition though.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭RoundBox11

In fairness Archer was very good for most of Munster's scrums yesterday. Hagan is up against better opposition though.

Just because somebody doesn't get annihilated in the scrum doesnt make them very good. It seems with guys like Archer if he doesn't go backwards he's "done well". If your going to be a test level prop you need to be going forward in every scrum against a weakened rabo team...

• Advertisement

RoundBox11 wrote: »

Just because somebody doesn't get annihilated in the scrum doesnt make them very good. It seems with guys like Archer if he doesn't go backwards he's "done well". If your going to be a test level prop you need to be going forward in every scrum against a weakened rabo team...

Did you watch the game. Munster's Scrum was marching forward in most instances up until around the 60minute mark.

It'd make a lot more sense than Zebo anyway!

I mean saying that zebo has the attributes to play 15 means feck all when he's never played there. His positioning would be completely off. It's like saying ian madigan has the attributes to be a good scrum half, but you sure as hell wouldnt start him there against SA

Did you watch the game. Munster's Scrum was marching forward in most instances up until around the 60minute mark.

Ok i'll be honest i didn't :o but can you honestly say he was very good by normal prop standards or was he just very good by steven archer standards?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

In fairness Archer was very good for most of Munster's scrums on Friday. Hagan is up against better opposition though.

He was very lucky at times with the ref friday night, especially the penalty he was given in the last few minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

Aardvark1 wrote: »
    I am living in the US, anyone know of any websites offering live streaming of the 3 autumn games? http://premiumsports.tv/ have in the past but I don't see anything on their website.

If you have an ipad download film on, it carries bbc itv etc v good quality, I ass use bbc will carry the aa game

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 322 ✭✭Banbridgeman2

Hagan has shown up Kidney's Archer selection even more. By the way, is Boss in the squad?

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭LeftBase

Don't think he's any less commanding under a high ball than Earls tbh, and SA will also be without Habana which is a big loss for kick chases.

Earls has international 15 experiance. That just about shades it for me! Dave Kearney would be a better option but he doesnt play for Munster!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Hagan has shown up Kidney's Archer selection even more. By the way, is Boss in the squad?

Tbf that's probably Hagan's best performance ever for Leinster. Which is good considering Bent is arriving now. And it's not like Archer will play anyway, Hagan might get some sort of call for Fiji yet.

And Boss is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Hagan & Boss are in Wales having just played a match for Leinster. How could they be in the Ireland squad since both were obviously needed by Leinster for the Ospreys game. Apart from that Hagan has started 3 games for Leinster up to the Ospreys and he didn't have a good day out against Connacht, his last start for Leinster 5 weeks ago and might not have the fitness even to last a game against the Boks 6 days later and probably needs a day off tomorrow to recover.

Boss is just back from an injury and he probably would also need a day's rest.

I think Dave Kearney should be a serious option for FB at the weekend; I would put only Earls ahead of him.

I think Dave Kearney should be a serious option for FB at the weekend; I would put only Earls ahead of him.

Did you watch the same match I did?

I don't know.

Today I watched a match played in atrocious conditions and I saw a full-back who was very secure under the high ball, who didn't get much chance to attack but has previously shown great pace and an eye for a gap and who can kick the leather off the ball when required.

What game did you watch?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

Kearney was very solid today, built well on last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,456 ✭✭✭Heroditas

gally74 wrote: »
    If you have an ipad download film on, it carries bbc itv etc v good quality, I ass use bbc will carry the aa game

Filmon is also available on the Android platform.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Missed match. How was Madigan?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 541 ✭✭✭accidentprone1

Aardvark1 wrote: »
    I am living in the US, anyone know of any websites offering live streaming of the 3 autumn games? http://premiumsports.tv/ have in the past but I don't see anything on their website.

Hang around the forum a bit before the games if you can't manage to get it up on the ipad. There's a thread here somewhere that should reappear from which you can get a stream off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

jm08 wrote: »
    Hagan & Boss are in Wales having just played a match for Leinster. How could they be in the Ireland squad since both were obviously needed by Leinster for the Ospreys game.

Well, training doesn't start till tomorrow, and Wales is about 20 minutes away by plane...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    Missed match. How was Madigan?

As you'd expect him to be in the pouring rain in a second string match. He made a few line breaks, one where he almost scored a try, but ultimately the match called for a more territorial game, which Madigan doesn't really have yet. In defence he was solid as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭boksmashoffice

Really looking forward to the Boks getting their teeth into the Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭bilston

How do you think the Boks will line up?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

bilston wrote: »
    How do you think the Boks will line up?

Deep and narrow, to counter Ireland's inevitable kicking/smash it up the middle-ing.

As an Irishman I an usually confident and optimistic as is our way....however I fear for this game. Our team selection has overlooked players who look comfortable in the HEC in favour of players who look out of their depth at Rabo and Amlin level.

If POM starts in the backrow then the Boks will dominate there. McLoughlin may well play well but has yet to cut his teeth at test level(who knows this may be his day). Heaslip will need a big game and the whole backrow will have to work to cover the clear failings in Deccie's backline selections in the middle of the park etc.

Reddan at 9 is a MUST! If Murray plays then the game is lost. Going grunt to grunt with the Boks will be a big mistake. With fast players like Earls and Zebo ball in space could yield advantages.

But with Deccie at the helm it will be the same old brand of Munster Rugby........It's unfortunate that we don't have a province with qualified players and a good gameplan/ tactical ethos that wins things!:(......:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

LeftBase wrote: »
    As an Irishman I an usually confident and optimistic as is our way....however I fear for this game. Our team selection has overlooked players who look comfortable in the HEC in favour of players who look out of their depth at Rabo and Amlin level.

If POM starts in the backrow then the Boks will dominate there. McLoughlin may well play well but has yet to cut his teeth at test level(who knows this may be his day). Heaslip will need a big game and the whole backrow will have to work to cover the clear failings in Deccie's backline selections in the middle of the park etc.

Reddan at 9 is a MUST! If Murray plays then the game is lost. Going grunt to grunt with the Boks will be a big mistake. With fast players like Earls and Zebo ball in space could yield advantages.

But with Deccie at the helm it will be the same old brand of Munster Rugby........It's unfortunate that we don't have a province with qualified players and a good gameplan/ tactical ethos that wins things!:(......:rolleyes:

Complete exaggeration's highlighted there

Also, if you think Ireland under Kidney play a like Munster do. You obviously haven't watched Munster for the last 3 years

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Also, if you think Ireland under Kidney play a like Munster do. You obviously haven't watched Munster for the last 3 years
    he says old brand of munster rugby as in munster rugby in the old days

• Advertisement

Not in the slightest bit. POM is an abrasive personality but that's the height of it in that area his game. His ball carrying is not the best and unless he wins us penalties by whinging at the referee all game then he wont bring much to the table.

Murray's slow passing and ponderous work at the base will give the Boks more opportunity than they need to get up and physically rough up the Irish backline and Sexton. We need quick ball. Like I said if we go grunt for grunt then we will lose!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement