Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any NaNoWriMo participants this year?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Parkinson's law.

(Not in any way scientific but I do believe it to be true. :))

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

halp

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭hcass

Ooooh! I'm getting excited now. Haven't really done any prep as such, just in my head. Think I'll just write whatever pops into it and worry about editing later. Which of course will be hell.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

bluewolf wrote: »
    halp

Just write a load of old rubbish the first day and inspiration might hit halfway through. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Every good novel starts with a nice Ann & Barry story :D

• Advertisement

bluewolf wrote: »
    Every good novel starts with a nice Ann & Barry story :D

Ann and Barry find a body.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,196 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Ann finds Barry's body

Fifty Shades of Five - Downstairs on Kirrin Island

Ingots and whips everywhere

I'd like to do this, but outside of the competition. I have an idea but the chances of me finding the time to write 50k words are slim.

• Advertisement

I'd like to do this, but outside of the competition. I have an idea but the chances of me finding the time to write 50k words are slim.

It's not really a competition, just a thing to get people writing who'd been putting it off. Not a hope of me reaching 50k, but it'll let me dedicate the month to the story that's been floating around inside my head since March.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭FudgeBrace

When it says local time, does that mean whatever time in your own country?

Das Kitty wrote: »
    It's not really a competition, just a thing to get people writing who'd been putting it off. Not a hope of me reaching 50k, but it'll let me dedicate the month to the story that's been floating around inside my head since March.

Yeah, it'll get me to stop saying "one day I'll write this box novel" and hopefully get going. No competing at all involved

First 150 words written. :)

Hopefully starting will be the hardest bit!

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭FudgeBrace

262 words so far :D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Good luck this year's nano'ers!

iguana wrote: »
    Good luck this year's nano'ers!

Good luck to you too! Can't be long now.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭mistermatthew

Just was looking at boards today and noticed this, Never tried anything like this before but I'll give it a go. I keep delaying my writing otherwise and I watched finding Forrester last night, kind of inspiring:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

I just discovered this. I'm going out after work with a few mates to celebrate my 'getting hitched' so I won't be writing anything until tomorrow evening, and even then it's going to be hungover writing. This is starting off badly and is going to be a disaster! :D

Great idea though! I'll be thinking of what to write about while I get wasted tonight. Lets just hope I can remember it all by morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Day One target reached. :D:D

Now I badly need to try to organise a plan, otherwise this story isn't going to last more than few pages. :o
    Also need to look up how to write dialogue.:o

T'was fun though. :)

• Advertisement

Target reached too. Going to take a break for the rest of the night, writing about insomnia is making me tired.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

Target almost reached. 1600. I'm finding it hard to turn off my inner editor.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭wavehopper1

FudgeBrace wrote: »
    When it says local time, does that mean whatever time in your own country?

Yes, current time in your own country.

Good luck all.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Arlecchina

One benefit of living so bloody far away from Dublin: commuting time is now writing time. I just have to get over my inate horror of people looking over my shoulder and reading the gibberish on my netbook screen.

Arlecchina wrote: »
    One benefit of living so bloody far away from Dublin: commuting time is now writing time. I just have to get over my inate horror of people looking over my shoulder and reading the gibberish on my netbook screen.

You can get little privacy screens that sit on top of your monitor. Great inventions!

I hate anyone looking at my screen if I'm writing. My fingers just stop.

You can get little privacy screens that sit on top of your monitor. Great inventions!

I was imagining wee wings that fold out like the barn doors on studio lights, but the reality is far cooler. Thanks so much! Off to order one right now...

Arlecchina wrote: »
    I was imagining wee wings that fold out like the barn doors on studio lights, but the reality is far cooler. Thanks so much! Off to order one right now...

another option:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_OVJj4UaLbrk/SBAYB6aGrwI/AAAAAAAAAsM/0HM1m7cwNN0/s400/lap+top+privacy+sweater.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

I wrote 936 words completely wasted last night. Editing will be hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭hcass

So if I put my story into the word count verifier does that mean everyone sees my story?
    Also finding it VERY difficult to turn off my inner editor - I always edit as I go along so this is killing me.

• Advertisement

Ha! Privacy, plus the added bonus of snuggly warmth. Mmm.
    hcass wrote: »
    So if I put my story into the word count verifier does that mean everyone sees my story?

No, the tool is just for verification purposes. Your text is never posted to the site unless you actually add an excerpt to your profile page. There's some info in the FAQ about obfuscating your text before you use the verification tool if you're worried about it. I usually just update my wordcount manually and then verify the whole thing towards the end.

Advertisement