Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any NaNoWriMo participants this year?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Squeaked inside the word-count last night (literally at a minute to midnight).

My new drawing tablet arrived yesterday and I spent a couple of hours drawing things. But I was good and packed it all up and have put it away until December 1st.

Really enjoying writing like this though. The novel seemed like such a mountain before and now it doesn't. I've been jotting down things to come back to when it's editing time.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭tigerblob

I'm doing it this year! Straight away, I'm behind on my word count (4432), but I'm writing steadily and starting to catch up too! I really think I'm gonna do it this year. I've tried twice before but just didn't have the organisation required. This year, I have all my characters sketched and my plot is planned. It's going great :D Love NaNoWriMo!

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Clockwork Owl

I'm seriously behind already, languishing at 4300 words. Oops. I didn't realise that my inner editor would be quite so difficult to evict for the month, both for writing quality and the plot holes I hoped I'd be able to casually work through / around on the fly.

I'm the same with regard to plot-holes, crappy sentences.

I have a side document for noting things to come back to. Just the plot points though, otherwise it would be as long as the novel. :)

Last night was tough. I was too tired to be writing. I really wanted to get a lot written yesterday and today so I could relax at the weekend. It might be time to give up on the 50k!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Accomplished a whopping 24 words last night. :o

Champions League and US Election.
    *Shakes fist*

• Advertisement

I didn't realise that my inner editor would be quite so difficult to evict for the month, both for writing quality and the plot holes I hoped I'd be able to casually work through / around on the fly.

This. How the Hell are you supposed to not use backspace for a whole month? It's completely impossible. I cannot ignore typos, let alone plot-holes.

Is anybody else avoiding hyphens and contractions (like don't) to bulk out their word count, since the validator counts spaces and not words?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

A week in already, jebus. I feel a bit conflicted over turning off the urge to edit. On the one hand I'm cranking out the words and I'm on target to hit the 50k. On the other hand I know what I've written isn't as good as it could be if I spent more time tinkering with it. I know that's the idea. But I think going back to edit 50k might be too daunting. If there is too much to tweak and fix I might not bother.

Still, getting there, and enjoying it so we'll see what happens come December.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Arlecchina

I'm totally floundering on just over 7,000 words. My cunning plan of writing a series of short stories turns out to be ... not such a cunning plan after all. I finished the first story, and my brain, lazy with catharsis, just wanted to switch off. Tsk, self.

Still, onwards!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Busy last 2 nights so no chance of looking at this but will get back to it asap.

240 words so far this evening. That's good. I'm getting back on the locomotive again and it's slowly gathering momentum. Slooooooooooooooooowlyyy.

• Advertisement

Epic day today. Just short of 3K and 16.5K overall.

Probably will get nothing written for the next two days. I'm actually really happy with the way the plot it going. It's still scrappy but it's got a nice overall shape.

Yep half way there. Half-fricking-way there. :D
    (To the word count. Novel might take a LOT longer. )

This is me right now.:D

Ah, I'm tragic about this. Thinking about throwing the towel because, after a frantic and exhausting weekend spent keeping an eye on two hyperactive and accident-prone children (bless 'em), I'm three days behind. Add that to a slow start and a stubborn inner editor and I'm a grand total of 12k behind schedule, with no idea about how I'll make those words up. Not to mention I'm floundering over what's not in my plot, nit-picking at what is and generally despising and doubting everything I've done thus far.

Le sigh.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Ah, I'm tragic about this. Thinking about throwing the towel because, after a frantic and exhausting weekend spent keeping an eye on two hyperactive and accident-prone children (bless 'em), I'm three days behind. Add that to a slow start and a stubborn inner editor and I'm a grand total of 12k behind schedule, with no idea about how I'll make those words up. Not to mention I'm floundering over what's not in my plot, nit-picking at what is and generally despising and doubting everything I've done thus far.

Le sigh.

It doesn't matter about making them up, just pretend you are on target, and keep at it :)

I'm floundering in a major way. I'm still on only 7k. I'm getting really discouraged.
    The thing is, if I get started I breeze my way through the day's target. But it's really bloody hard to motivate myself to get started.
    Why am I so lazy? :(

@tigerblob -
    One thing I've personally found helpful is to set up a little mini-routine before I sit down to write. I play a quick game of online Rummikub, grab some buttery toast, pile up the blankets, put on one particular song and away I go. I've learned to associate that song and that routine with starting to write, and it seems to make it so much easier!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

I've failed this miserably. Just don't have the time at this time of the year unfortunately.

[-0-] wrote: »
    I've failed this miserably. Just don't have the time at this time of the year unfortunately.

That's a shame. :(

I got into a good rhythm yesterday after falling behind by not writing for three days. Somehow managed to catch up and get back to a day ahead of myself.

My notes to self document is also getting quite long!

• Moderators Posts: 51,713 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

I've been giving NaNoWriMo a go for the first time this year. I've managed to get just over 13k written so far.

If you can read this, you're too close!

Das Kitty wrote: »
    That's a shame. :(

I got into a good rhythm yesterday after falling behind by not writing for three days. Somehow managed to catch up and get back to a day ahead of myself.

My notes to self document is also getting quite long!

It's a shame indeed! I am still going to write a novel however, just slower and with some edits. :pac:

• Advertisement

[-0-] wrote: »
    It's a shame indeed! I am still going to write a novel however, just slower and with some edits. :pac:

Ooh!

Good stuff. If it's anything like your short stories you'll have a fan in me.

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Ooh!

Good stuff. If it's anything like your short stories you'll have a fan in me.

Kind words, thank you. :)

How's everyone getting on? I fell a little behind last week. I just lost a lot of enthusiasm and took a few days off. But I'm determined to get it done so I'm back in the swing of things, trying to catch up. There's a danger that I'll finish the story several thousand words short so I might need to restructure a bit.

Going fine word-count wise. Having trouble wanting to write though. I actually washed all the floors of the house this morning to avoid it.

Here now in my slanket on boards instead of my document!

My house is clean and I hit my target.

I feel like a king, or some sort of domesticated royalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Yeah, so hah, for some reason every time I try to type something my brain explodes. It's messy. I'm going nowhere.

Oh well, there's always next year. :D

Ok next year I'm definitely going to have a plan in place. It's all a bit hysterical when you're characters have first names like Patrick John, Ann Maria. No wait that wasn't the worst bit. The worst bit was trying to replicate a character like John Waters. That's sinking very low, but his waffling filled up soooooooo much dialogue.

Novel wise not even near finished, not even sure there's a novel there but hey I'm 6,000 words short now. It's more a tapestry of scenes inspired by the more bizarrest of things that happened over the past month. Celtic Beating Barca and John Waters. Actually I wish I'd been inspired by him earlier. He's so good for your word count. Seriously!
    Non fiction project is a disaster 30k short and while I've no of material for it. One huge problem I have is how slow writing it actually is.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭ahayzer42

If it makes any of the just floundering people feel any better, I've written just over 5,000 words and need to hit a daily target of 7,440 to finish in time. The rate I'm going at the moment, they're pipping June 2013 as my finishing time so to say I've failed would be an understatement!

Then again, I could pull a humdinger of an all nighter every second night for the rest of the week and finish it but I think we'd be entering the 'loaves and fishes' territory of miracles...

I'm lagging behind too. I think I need to write about 2500 words a day until the end to make the 50,000. Doable but its so easy at the moment to just go 'argh I can't be bothered' at the end of a working day.

• Advertisement

My biggest mistake at the weekend was planning to write lots so I'd have an easy jaunt to the finish line this week. One thing I hadn't accounted for though, life.

:D

I have 6k left to write. I'm going to get there.

My current concern is what happens after November. I've actually worked out the bones of a fairly satisfying ending but there's a lot to go between 50K and that. I don't want to let the characters fall out of my head, it was hard enough to get a hold of them in the first place.

Advertisement