Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any NaNoWriMo participants this year?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

hcass wrote: »
    So if I put my story into the word count verifier does that mean everyone sees my story?
    Also finding it VERY difficult to turn off my inner editor - I always edit as I go along so this is killing me.

I has the same problem with editing. Oops forgot a comma there, oh that should be they, that word there is unnecessary. *Half hour later.* I just cut my word count by 200. Oh jeez.:(

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Jernal wrote: »
    I has the same problem with editing. Oops forgot a comma there, oh that should be they, that word there is unnecessary. *Half hour later.* I just cut my word count by 200. Oh jeez.:(

I've only being allowing myself to edit if it ups the wordcount. Like if I want to make a motive clearer.

I normally look for neater ways to say things, but this time I'm letting all the words onto the page. Hoping after I'm done I'll be able to look at it with fresh eyes and tidy it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

Can I ask what you guys are writing about?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Mine is more future tense than anything else :p
    but I will be turning my box stories from the flashfic into a proper novel, in theory

[-0-] wrote: »
    Can I ask what you guys are writing about?

Still trying to iron out the details but I think it's currently like this.

Two separate projects.:D
    One about three (or four?) people who's live will intertwine in a university like environment in ways that will conflict their traditional cultural beliefs and personal prejudices. Basically the idea is to start the characters at one point and transform both their mental attitudes and perspectives via a series of events. I'd be lying if I didn't say I was probably stealing the idea a bit from the Poisonwood Bible. Similar kind of idea.

The second is about Emergence in relation to biology, thermodynamics and the organisation of life. Hopefully this will eventually come under the category of 'Non fiction'.:p That's technically not a novel but it's still fun nonetheless which is basically what my ultimate goal for this month is going to be. :D

• Advertisement

Mine's about a dude who's an insomniac who suffers from hallucinations. But they're not just hallucinations...

And then some stuff happens
    And then some other stuff happens

He also meets a woman on an internet chat forum for insomniacs

And then some more things happen

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Arlecchina

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Mine's about a dude who's an insomniac who suffers from hallucinations. But they're not just hallucinations...

Colour me totally intrigued!

I'm cheating this year (shhh) and writing a series of mildly interconnected short stories — pretty much all speculative/weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Mine is about someone who's wondering how he could possibly write 50,000 words in a month

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    Mine is about someone who's wondering how he could possibly write 50,000 words in a month

Just make it word for word stream of consciousness and you'll have 500,000 words telling the story of obtaining 50,000. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Just make it word for word stream of consciousness and you'll have 500,000 words telling the story of obtaining 50,000. :D

I know, it's genius. A meta novel. Nobody steal my idea!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭wavehopper1

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    I know, it's genius. A meta novel. Nobody steal my idea!

Would you object to fanfiction based on your theme? I may have to add a "dungeon of torture", to make it...you know...commercial.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Just decided I'm going to attempt this.

Given the fact I've recently lost my job, I have more of a shot, I think.

First sentence written - a whole 11 words. W00t!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Blush_01 wrote: »
    First sentence written - a whole 11 words. W00t!

Ditto. That's hard work. I need a break now. :p

bluewolf wrote: »
    Ditto. That's hard work. I need a break now. :p

Go on ya good thing!

Bluewolf's Box, A Novel.

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Go on ya good thing!

Bluewolf's Box, A Novel.

An illustrated novel. :p

I can't believe it's been a year and a half already since I wrote the short stories of it. :confused:

I have a plan of where I want to go and and overall plot outline, and am totally stuck on details. have an intro paragraph, but no idea where to start on the main story. Should have done way more notes :rolleyes:

Write a bit you know how to write and come back to the start.

Ugh still have 1,000 words to go and I'm drawing a complete black. I think I'm going to write the ending now and come back to the start later. :o

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I'm in this year!
    Slightly cheating in that I started it in September, but only wrote once. So that one sitting has me at 898 words and I'm going at it again from tonight.
    Also, my story is non-fiction, but a story non the less. I just need the group motivation!

Good luck everyone!

• Advertisement

*Hai fives for the non fiction.*
    :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

*Hai fives for the non fiction.*
    :D

Thanks. I'm also writing it in my second language (Irish) so I would hope that would make up for my non having to think of a plot/characters... :D

How did everyone get on over the weekend?

I got a stupid amount written yesterday. Finally getting into the meat of the plot and the words are flowing more easily. I'm about a day's worth of words ahead of target, which will be useful this coming weekend when I won't be able to write at all.

I wonder will I hit the 50k? I had no intention of even trying to make it, but now...

My notes are coming along nicely. Have the world nearly set up. Need to hammer out more stuff. Shoulda done this last month but sure there we go. If I even get a tiny fraction of the word count done this month it'll be well on the way.

That's awesome you're ahead of target, good going o/

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I've about 100 non-consecutive words written for my NoNotNaNoWriMo project.

Hit overdrive during the weekend. Almost half way to half way there. :)
    Things I learned so far :
    I cannot describe how food tastes so don't even try.
    Having a character with hearing difficulties certainly helps increase your word count.
    If my plot makes more sense than the movie 2012 I'll be happy.
    I'm not sure whether my intention is to produce a decent novel or just break that word count target for the sake of breaking a word count target. :o
    Having a detailed organised structure and plan would definitely help.
    This is fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

I'm slacking badly. I have just over 1000 words done and I'm thinking of scrapping it all in favour of some fiction. I'll try to figure out the full story today and get cracking after work.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭FudgeBrace

I'm beginning to lose faith in my story :( I have about 6000 words too. Maximum sadness

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Antilles

Saw a NaNo'er in Accents in Dublin today. made me feel briefly guilty for not taking part this year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭alfa beta

Having a character with hearing difficulties certainly helps increase your word count.

genius :D

Advertisement