Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Openstreetmap - Mapping Galway City

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭confusedquark

DaCor wrote: »
    confusedquark, spotted that myself several months ago but work has been crazy so never got around to doing anything about it.

the suburbs are only a secondary thing anyway - you've already done a huge bulk of the primary stuff, which is more important :)
    Target = ATM's & Banks

sounds like plan, probably better to go at it this way, then trying to do everything in one go, which gets you bogged down quickly... i'll keep an eye out

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

- ATM - If you know any of the following you can add:
    operator=AIB, Bank Of ireland etc
    hour_on=HH:MM:SS access restricted at this time (only really applies to ATM's inside buildings)
    hour_off=HH:MM:SS access available from this time (only really applies to ATM's inside buildings)

This seems the wrong way round to me.

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    This seems the wrong way round to me.

I know, it looks weird but its based on restricted access

On = Access is restricted
    Off = Access is not restricted

I find it easier to use that the other option which is the opening hours tag, which to be honest, doesn't really apply to something like an ATM anyway, bank yes, ATM no.

Think of it like this, an ATM inside a 24 hr petrol station which locks its doors at 11pm until 7am. The store opening hours are 24hrs but access to the ATM is from 7am to 11pm.

In some instances using the opening hours tag is more appropriate, but in most cases (for ATM's) the access tag will cover it

By the looks of it people have mapped 90% of the ATM's in Galway in the last week, thanks to all who helped out

Next up, this being a big tourist town, I thought it would be a good idea to try get all the hotels into the map.

Here's how to go about it

Target = Hotels

Method - Basic Details

- Draw an outline (known as a way) of the building if one does not already exist and tag as building=yes
    - Still selecting the way add the following tags (using Salthill Hotel as an example):
    - tourism=hotel
    - name=Salthill Hotel
    - stars=4

Method - Greater Detail

Still selecting the way, you can add the following where you know the information
    - operator=Bryne Hotel Group
    - phone=091123456789
    - email=info@something.com
    - website=http://www.salthillhotel.com/
    - rooms=quantity
    - wheelchair=yes/no
    - wifi=yes/no

If there are a few ways into the building you can also use the following by adding a nodeat the various entrances, just make sure you put the nodes onto the building way

- entrance=yes or entrance=main (chose one for each entry point, don't use both for a single entry point)

Thats it, have fun and remember the most important rule, you can not copy from other maps

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭IrlJidel

Bing imagery is updated ! Looks like they havent officially made it available yet as api is not returning the new tile generation id.

However if you use Josm you can get it if you do the following hack.

1. Exit Josm
    2. Go to your Josm cache folder. In windows this is %APPDATA%/JOSM/cache
    3. Edit bing.attribution.xml and change the g parameter in the url in <ImageUrl> to 1026
    ( previous g param was 1022 )

If you mess up bing.attribution.xml just delete it, josm will download a new one.

Imagery in Galway was acquired in two sessions - east Galway is dated 26/5 , west Galway dated 28/3 .

Ireland coverage appears to be same as detailed at http://www.digitalglobe.com/downloads/coverage_maps/aoap/aoap_europe/AOAP_Europe_Map_Ireland.pdf

• Advertisement

Sweet!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Game On. I compared some of the new aerials with tracks I uploaded in the past and the registration is VERY good, bang on.

Some of the old aerial was way off to the east...perhaps by 5-7m and the new aerial is much tighter..ie correctly geocoded. Perhaps people who traced in the past ( Barna to Oranmore) would be best just checking their tracks and outlines for correctness before starting any new traces.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

IrlJidel wrote: »

I wasn't even aware of JOSM, but I dl'ed it anyway and had a look at the above.

Long story short, I really only wanted to know if imagery was added for places previously not covered, or it is just the same areas again?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

West of a line from Furbo Moycullen had no imagery, now it goes to the west side of Inishshark.

Excellent. Thanks Spongebob.

• Advertisement

roll on the weekend, looking forward to using this around Galway county

IrlJidel wrote: »
    Bing imagery is updated ! Looks like they havent officially made it available yet as api is not returning the new tile generation id.

1. Exit Josm
    2. Go to your Josm cache folder. In windows this is %APPDATA%/JOSM/cache
    3. Edit bing.attribution.xml and change the g parameter in the url in <ImageUrl> to 1026
    ( previous g param was 1022 )

If you mess up bing.attribution.xml just delete it, josm will download a new one.

Imagery in Galway was acquired in two sessions - east Galway is dated 26/5 , west Galway dated 28/3 .

Ireland coverage appears to be same as detailed at http://www.digitalglobe.com/downloads/coverage_maps/aoap/aoap_europe/AOAP_Europe_Map_Ireland.pdf

mine showed as 940 not 1022 even with current release installed

looked over some of the imagery for East Galway around Mountbellew......going to be a busy weekend ;)

Wow, Connemara looks a lot like the surface of Mars, talk about barren in places

just a quick post to give an update.

I posted a while back asking people to add ATM's around Galway city

Check out this link to see how many are now showing and where they are.

Loads added but I'd say there's still a few missing, but a massive improvement all in all

I've been mapping out the racecourse and some of the industrial estates on the east of the city and came across this, anyone from the area know if its a graveyard or something? Its difficult to tell from the aerial view but it seems to vaguely resemble a graveyard

• Registered Users Posts: 25,655 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

When I asked about cemeteries here before (use search if you want the thread), I was told that there is a graveyard there, known locally as the Lisheen.

I've been mapping out the racecourse and some of the industrial estates on the east of the city and came across this, anyone from the area know if its a graveyard or something? Its difficult to tell from the aerial view but it seems to vaguely resemble a graveyard

It's a graveyard, yes. It's called Lisheen graveyard. Still in use.

Edit: Oops, the oracle has gotten there before me!

Figured it was a graveyard so had it marked as such but didn't know the name, added it now, thanks folks

I am looking for information now on schools in Galway city, any help would be greatly appreciated.

If you take a look at the following link, you will see where I have added details for schools.

A year ago I didn't know there were this many schools in Galway :)

On that basis I am convinced there are others that I am not aware of also. Can I ask people to take a look at that link and see if I am missing any schools, be they National, Secondary, Colleges, Special schools, and so on and let me know where they are located and the names.

For example, I know there is a national school somewhere around the Courthouse, but driving those streets in the car I have not been able to spot it.

Alternatively, you can map these yourself by doing the following:

- Draw around the outline of the school grounds and tag as amenity=school & name=Blah National School
    - Draw around the outline of the building and tag as building=school

If a school, for example The Bish, is known as a few different names then use the following tagging to account for them:
    - name=The Bish - name that school is commonly known as
    - alt_name=St. Josephs Secondary School - might be the offical name, but may not be commonly known as this
    - name:ga=Colaiste Iosef - not sure if this is correct name, but you get the idea

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

For example, I know there is a national school somewhere around the Courthouse, but driving those streets in the car I have not been able to spot it.

Dude you have to be blind to miss that one:eek:. It's on the corner diagonally opposite the courthouse. It's the Mercy Primary School/Scoil an Linbh Iosa.

Also from the link, the one in Mervue (beside the church) is two schools: Mervue boys & girls. Mervue Girls School is officially the "Holy Trinity School", (with the entrance from Walter Macken Rd) and the boys school is St Michaels (entrance on St James Rd).

The one beside Galway Crystal (visible from the Dublin Rd) is Grianach House School (primary) - http://renmore.ie/education.

If a school, for example The Bish, is known as a few different names then use the following tagging to account for them:
    - name=The Bish - name that school is commonly known as
    - alt_name=St. Josephs Secondary School - might be the offical name, but may not be commonly known as this
    - name:ga=Colaiste Iosef - not sure if this is correct name, but you get the idea
    The official name is St. Joseph's Patrician College

Edit: and the other one by the courthouse is a church of Ireland primary: St. Nicholas Parochial School

edit2: Galway Community College isn't named on the map.

Claregalway Educate Together isn't marked

• Advertisement

antoobrien wrote: »
    Dude you have to be blind to miss that one:eek:. It's on the corner diagonally opposite the courthouse. It's the Mercy Primary School/Scoil an Linbh Iosa.

Also from the link, the one in Mervue (beside the church) is two schools: Mervue boys & girls. Mervue Girls School is officially the "Holy Trinity School", (with the entrance from Walter Macken Rd) and the boys school is St Michaels (entrance on St James Rd).

The one beside Galway Crystal (visible from the Dublin Rd) is Grianach House School (primary) - http://renmore.ie/education.

SALI I have already, the other one was St nicholas Parochial but I see its already been added by Tetratema

Holy Trinity & St Michaels, do you know where the building splits? Where Michaels starts and Holy Trinity ends.

Grianach, cheers, added
    pg633 wrote: »
    The official name is St. Joseph's Patrician College

Edit: and the other one by the courthouse is a church of Ireland primary: St. Nicholas Parochial School

edit2: Galway Community College isn't named on the map.

Claregalway Educate Together isn't marked

Galway Community College, thats Moneenagisha, right? If so, its on the map already, unless you are referring to something else?

Where is the Claregalway Educate Together? Looking at satelite imagery I can't see anything that resembles a second scond in the village. Is it outside the village?

Galway Community College, thats Moneenagisha, right? If so, its on the map already, unless you are referring to something else?
    Yes - I missed the label.
    Where is the Claregalway Educate Together? Looking at satellite imagery I can't see anything that resembles a second school in the village. Is it outside the village?
    here across from the entrance to the abbey.

While I am at it the stretch of N17 labelled Gort Cluain Mor is incorrect - that is Baile Chláir / Claregalway town land.

Holy Trinity & St Michaels, do you know where the building splits? Where Michaels starts and Holy Trinity ends.

Unfortunately no, I haven't set foot in the place since the late 80s.
    Where is the Claregalway Educate Together? Looking at satelite imagery I can't see anything that resembles a second scond in the village. Is it outside the village?

If you're going to include that one, you should also include Briarhill NS (where the label scoil muire appears) on the Monivea Rd.

Closed .. umm, trying to remember ... maybe June last year, or the year before even.

Closed .. umm, trying to remember ... maybe June last year, or the year before even.

So it is - http://irish.adventistchurch.ie/news_entries/1979 - June 2011.

Best update the map to remove it then DaCor.

pg633 wrote: »
    Yes - I missed the label.

here across from the entrance to the abbey.

While I am at it the stretch of N17 labelled Gort Cluain Mor is incorrect - that is Baile Chláir / Claregalway town land.

Claregalway Educate Together school added, road name corrected. I can see on the old 1943 maps that area is off to the west and is already indicated on the map as a townland
    If you're going to include that one, you should also include Briarhill NS (where the label scoil muire appears) on the Monivea Rd.

Added

Removed amenity=school from it but left it labeled as Grianach House

Thanks a million for the help folks, keep it coming. You may have to force refresh to see the changes but all of the above are updated

A year ago I didn't know there were this many schools in Galway :)

Yup, I've had that expereince, too.

Knocknacarra:

Your school building without a name behind Doire Gheal is officially called St John the Apostle National School - I've sometimes seen it referred to a Knocknacarra National School, or Knocknacarra Primary school.

The red one off Cappagh Rd is Gaelscoil Mhic Amhlaigh
    Scoil Naomh Sheosaimh / St Joseph's National School is up on Rahoon Rd, on the left side, a bit before the right hand turn off to Drom.

Barna

Scoil Shéamais Naofa - Barna / Bearna National School - is on the right as you come into the village-proper from the city.

Newcastle

On Thomas Hynes Rd, you the red one in front of the ET school is St Joseph's Special School

Wellpark

The unidentifed building in Wellpark Grove is Galway Education Centre

Renmore
    The unidentified one off Ballyloughange Rd is the new home of Gaelscoil Dara

The Woodlands centre complex included Holy Family School, Rosedale School, Lakeview School

Wellpark

At least part of that is attached to GMIT - Cluain Mhuire (formerly the Redemptorists).

The Galway Film Center is also based there.

Yup, I've had that expereince, too.

Knocknacarra:

Your school building without a name behind Doire Gheal is officially called St John the Apostle National School - I've sometimes seen it referred to a Knocknacarra National School, or Knocknacarra Primary school.

The red one off Cappagh Rd is Gaelscoil Mhic Amhlaigh
    Scoil Naomh Sheosaimh / St Joseph's National School is up on Rahoon Rd, on the left side, a bit before the right hand turn off to Drom.

Barna
    Scoil Shéamais Naofa - Barna / Bearna National School - is on the right as you come into the village-proper from the city.

Newcastle
    On Thomas Hynes Rd, you the red one in front of the ET school is St Joseph's Special School

Wellpark

Renmore
    The unidentified one off Ballyloughange Rd is the new home of Gaelscoil Dara
    The Woodlands centre complex included Holy Family School, Rosedale School, Lakeview School

Knocknacarra & Cappagh Rd, had those, St Josephs added

Barna added

Already had St Josephs Special school

The woodlands complex, any idea which is which?

Gaelscoil dara, had that but I've mapped it correctly now to show the road & buildings. Just knew the site previously. the new imagery is handy :)

At least part of that is attached to GMIT - Cluain Mhuire (formerly the Redemptorists).

The Galway Film Center is also based there.

Any idea which part is the Galway film Centre?

• Advertisement

So it is - http://irish.adventistchurch.ie/news_entries/1979 - June 2011.

Best update the map to remove it then DaCor.

Sorry, just read that link now. I've changed it to a church as its the church for the Galway Adventist religous group, cheers anto

Advertisement