Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Northern Ireland Saorview reception reports:

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Scotia Major

Tesco Outlet on eBay last week were selling one of their Technika Freeview HD boxes for £20 including shipping. They had lots of them but are now sold out again.

I bought one of these last year from them for £20 and today in Belfast with an indoor aeriel it picked up all the UK HD channels as well as all of Saorview.

I'd keep an eye out for that.

I also think Maplin from time to time sell Freeview HD boxes for as little as £20 or £30.

I wouldn't pay £60 for one these days. Soon they'll be giving them away... :-)

Cheers Jamesy, I'll have to check them out. £20 wont be too bad as I'll need 3 of them for the 3 tv's in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭formerly scottish paddy

Peter Rhea wrote: »

Not confusing if you refer to the DVB-T2 modulation of the signal, as you should. Freeview HD is just a brandname, not an engineering standard.
    I think to be fair he was trying to make it more understandable for the OP

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Darkness

To pick up RTE in the North, a TV with Freeview HD is required or a TV with Freesat HD? So if I went to the shops tomorrow, I just need a TV with either of the two?

What about the Appoved TV listings on the Saorview website. Does it have to be on their list or just ignore their list?

I need a new TV for the kitchen and I need it yesterday hence the questions.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Freeview HD is also the only implementation of secret Engineering standard, the D-Book.

There is at least one model of Technika HD box that didn't work properly with Saorview.

"Technika" is a brand name (of Tesco) and not a standard of any kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Darkness wrote: »
    To pick up RTE in the North, a TV with Freeview HD is required or a TV with Freesat HD? So if I went to the shops tomorrow, I just need a TV with either of the two?

What about the Appoved TV listings on the Saorview website. Does it have to be on their list or just ignore their list?

I need a new TV for the kitchen and I need it yesterday hence the questions.

Cheers.

If you can get Freeview HD, i.e. you are in the north you need a Freeview HD box or TV. Almost all work with Saorview

Hardly any Saorview products work with Freeview HD. Saorview models CERTIFIED FROM Jan 2013 will mostly work with Freeview HD.

All Saorview models will pick up basic non-HD Freeview.

www.saortv.info

(updates soon)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭JamesyBelfast

Darkness wrote: »

Beware though - in case anyone is getting confused - a Freesat HD box has nothing to do with this and won't get you any Irish TV channels!

No free-to-air RTE / Saorview channels are transmitted on Astra satellite (which is what Freesat HD will get you).

If in doubt - I say go to Tesco and get one of their Freeview HD boxes - try it out with your aerial and if you can't get the channels you can just bring it back. They've a great returns policy.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 5,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭culabula

Richer Sounds in Belfast are doing the i-Can Easy HD box for 29 GBP.

I bought 3. Set up my own and got the RTENI MUX with the 3 extra channels. No Saorview whatsoever here in Dunmurry.

Set up my sister's tonight on the Shaw's Rd: she got all of the Saorview channels as well to my great annoyance.

Thoughts?

Btw, why is TG4 being broadcast in 14:10 or whatever this godawful ratio is on the RTENI MUX?

culabula wrote: »
    Btw, why is TG4 being broadcast in 14:10 or whatever this godawful ratio is on the RTENI MUX?

Noticed that myself - rubbish.
    Guessing it's a first-day mess-up or something...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Mr. Rabbit

The problem in the North is that neither Saorview or the NIMM (RTE on Freeview) is available on standard Freeview tv's or boxes, but only Freeview HD tv's or boxes. Unfortunately most people only have the standard Freeview setup, although in time this will change as people upgrade and more and more of Freeview moves to HD.

People have been well advised by radio programmes such as on your behalf, talkback, leaflet and poster campaigns, and even billboard posters, so they've no excuse.

Still, it's a disgrace that DVB T i.e. SD only TVs are still being sold and marketed as "HD ready" in the UK in major retail stores such as Currys and Argos. Unforgivable in this day and age.

No wonder some people are confused

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Mr. Rabbit

Noticed that myself - rubbish.
    Guessing it's a first-day mess-up or something...

The Sky service for NI also does this.

Noticed there was some difference in the aspect ratio between TG4 on Saorview and TG4 on the NI mux myself.

Maybe the problem lies with Sky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 acamdc88

All Saorview channels coming through loud and clear here in south Belfast with just a standard roof aerial. Had a very grainy and weather dependent analogue signal before and not a whiff of DTT, now Saorview is coming through as clear as Divis about 6km away. No need for the Black Mountain NI mini mux where I am anyway!

Richer Sounds in Belfast are doing the i-Can Easy HD box for 29 GBP.

I bought 3. Set up my own and got the RTENI MUX with the 3 extra channels. No Saorview whatsoever here in Dunmurry.

Set up my sister's tonight on the Shaw's Rd: she got all of the Saorview channels as well to my great annoyance.

Thoughts?

Most people in Belfast seem to be getting great Saorview reception (some even saying it's stronger than Divis!) I would check your installation. Did you have RTE before on analogue?

I see the UK Switchover Help Scheme in N. Ireland has run out of Freeview HD boxes because of the demand in relation to getting RTE,
    "The Freeview HD box which gives access to RTE channels and TG4, has been even more popular than we expected and we ran out of stock in the summer."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-20077279

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭mrdtv2010

I see the UK Switchover Help Scheme in N. Ireland has run out of Freeview HD boxes because of the demand in relation to getting RTE,

Yes, relatives got one for £40. Its the Humax T2 box. All NIMM and Saorview as well as Freeview HD and Cambret Hill transmissions as well. I am not surprised they sold out!

Most people in Belfast seem to be getting great Saorview reception (some even saying it's stronger than Divis!) I would check your installation. Did you have RTE before on analogue?

No, I have a roof-mounted aerial for Freeview, and never bothered with analogue RTÉ. I have only used Freesat since 2008 in order to get British HD channels as well as S4C and BBC Alba (using 10, Downing Street as my postcode).

Rats.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

Poolkas wrote: »
    Interested to see someone in Omagh is OK. I have a DVB T2 tv (2 years old) in the bedroom, getting the usual Freeview and an MPEG4 set (10 months old) with MPEG4 aerial in the kitchen also getting the usual Freeview but never did have RTE. Retuned both, and still no RTE. Took the MPEG4 set to supplier who retuned and lo and behold got 8 RTE channels. He is apparently tuned to Strabane, I am tuned to Brougher. Back home and RTE channels had disappeared - no signal it says. Supplier told me I needed a HD box for the DVB T2 set also. Not what I understood. Any thoughts? I don't really want to have to get in an aerial man - more money. Thanks

You have two choices.
    1. If possible, get an aerial which will receive Saorview from the republic. That may mean that your Freeview reception may be changed to a different transmitter (e.g. Strabane rather than Brougher) which only gets Freeview lite, missing out nearly half the channels such as ITV3/4.

2. Get a Freeview HD box which will get the RTE channels from Brougher (although not TV3 and some programmes, such as the football the other night are blocked out). You will also keep all the Freeview channels AND get the 4 UK HD channels (choice 1 won't give you UK HD).

Choice 2 is probably cheaper than choice 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭MACHEAD

Well we've been anticipating this and discussing it here on 'da boards' for some time now, finally it's come, ASO!. Done a rescan on my Sony Bravia yesterday evening, (had originally set it up with Ireland as the country at installation), and I've got all the Saorview channels situated from 001 - 008 on the EPG.
    With a signal strength of 96 - 98 % and signal quality at 100%.

The UK Freeview services are placed after this. The new HD channels (BBC 1 NI HD etc.) are placed from 101 onwards. All the EPG data seems to be loading correctly, albeit the Freeview data loads much more slowly than the Saorview.

Not so much luck with the small TV in the kitchen though, RTE's placed up in the 800's, (even with Ireland set as install country) but sound only!! now need to get my hands on a Freeview HD box for this one.

Before ASO was only getting around 9 - 14% signal and zero quality, so the power lift on CC has made all the difference in the world. Champions league game on RTÉ 2 HD last night was absolutely brilliant, even better quality than same channel on SKy. So in a few months when my contract ends it's good by Sky! I'm in quite low lying site about 23 - 24 K's NE of Newry.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

Richard wrote: »
    If possible, get an aerial which will receive Saorview from the republic. That may mean that your Freeview reception may be changed to a different transmitter (e.g. Strabane rather than Brougher) which only gets Freeview lite, missing out nearly half the channels such as ITV3/4.

Why the need to change Freeview transmitters?
    Poolkas wrote: »
    Interested to see someone in Omagh is OK. I have a DVB T2 tv (2 years old) in the bedroom, getting the usual Freeview and an MPEG4 set (10 months old) with MPEG4 aerial in the kitchen also getting the usual Freeview but never did have RTE. Retuned both, and still no RTE. Took the MPEG4 set to supplier who retuned and lo and behold got 8 RTE channels. He is apparently tuned to Strabane, I am tuned to Brougher. Back home and RTE channels had disappeared - no signal it says. Supplier told me I needed a HD box for the DVB T2 set also. Not what I understood. Any thoughts? I don't really want to have to get in an aerial man - more money. Thanks

First off, there's no such thing as an MPEG4 (or digital) aerial.

A DVB-T2 receiver should get the NIMux (RTE & TG4) from Brougher, as well as Freeview HD.

If you want Saorview, you'll have to add an aerial for a southern transmitter. There were reports from Omagh yesterday of good reception from the Clermont Carn site in Louth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

Peter Rhea wrote: »
    Why the need to change Freeview transmitters?

If the aerial move meant Brougher was no longer receivable.

Richard wrote: »
    If the aerial move meant Brougher was no longer receivable.

Use 2 aerials. Unless you can get Saorview from Letterkenny (coverage map shows some areas to north of Omagh), there wouldn't be much point looking at Strabane, & that's if you didn't mind the loss of the com. muxes for the sake of gaining ROI tv.

Would a booster make any difference?

Would a booster make any difference?

If you want Saorview, you'll need to get an aerial on the Clermont Carn transmitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭FREETV

Well people should avoid all Vestel made products as they have two software glitches, one is no information for the Saorview EPG and the second is that it won't recognise the new N.I. Minimux or tune them in, disgraceful for such an expensive Metronic Zapbox Freeview HD box when it was bought. Other people have the same problem with the Vestel manufactured Bush Freeview HD boxes also. :( :mad: Edit I just sent an email to Metronic about the two problems and requested a software update to fix the bugs. Here is a link to contact them for other Metronic T2 HD zapbox owners/users. http://www.metronic.com/index2.php?p=contact&lang=UK Click on you are a customer to send them an email. Let's put them under pressure to fix these major glitches. It is up to them to get Vestel to sort out any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 giveherlong

Here’s my predicament:

I want to get Saorview for the midweek Soccer on TV3 and RTE 2 HD etc
    I live in Whiteabbey towards the top of the Glenville Rd just past the train bridge

I got a Freeview HD box and I’m picking up the RTE/TG4 NImux from Carmoney Hill fine as well as all the BBC HD etc but as you know the Champions League etc is blanked out on RTE

I tried the auto tune and Manual Tune on Channel 52 on the HD Freeview box from Clermont Carn but nothing is registering at all
    Before the switchover I got a great RTE1 & 2, TV3 and TG4 analogue picture on an old Grundig UHF/VHF television and a fairly snowy picture on another newer analogue TV

There are 2 aerials on my roof and- one pointing at Carmoney Hill and the other in the Belfast direction (the next door neighbour has 2 on his as well, about 1/3 of the houses in the area have 2 roof aerials)
    As it is a rented house I don’t want to be shelling out a load of cash on aerial installers etc

Since I was getting very clear RTE/TV3 on the Grundig UHF/VHF TV I thought my aerial set-up would be ok (someone did mention that there may be some sort of signal booster built into the Grundig TV)
    Someone I spoke with locally said that the very edge of Cave Hill might be blocking signal coming towards the top of the Glenville Rd from Clermont Carn but they weren’t sure
    Any thoughts/advice are much ap
    preciated

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Poolkas

Thanks for that. Looks like I got an MPEG 4 TV and aerial that I didn't need!. Option 2 looks like the one, at £50 a skite!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Poolkas

Thank you for the reply. Shows how much I know. Aerial fitter described it as an MPEG4 aerial. Not worried about Saorview but I would like RTE 1 &2 plus TG4. Must try the DVB T in the kitchen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Aerial fitter described it as an MPEG4 aerial.

Perhaps it was especially compressed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

ardmacha wrote: »
    Perhaps it was especially compressed.
    I got the deluxe version with HE-AAC audio, more expensive but takes up less space..

A bit like the 1080p aerial I got last year, the elements are very sharp at the edges :)

Advertisement